Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Pearl Jam's Waiting on a friend . . .
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 14, 2009 09:04

I just love this cover, Pearl Jam has performed this song only twice, in Pittsburg 2006 and Santa Barbara 2006 . . .

i think this has been posted before, but what the hell, really nice, listen at 3:52 the drums kick in, good band.

Before the song, Eddie nearly starts a riot in Pittsburg with his light-hearted comments, fun stuff, but he dedicates this song by saying, "and the last time we were in Pittsburg we played with a little group called the Rolling Stones so we would like to honor that experience . . ." referring to the 2005 show that they opened for the stones. "Little group called the Rolling Stones" all in fun.

Notice the sound, nearly perfect. What the PJ fans do is take a bootleg copy of the show, one camera, and use the official bootleg audio in place of the actual camera audio. Remember, pj is the band that has released or made available soundboards of nearly every show they have performed since 2000.

After the song Vedder toasts, "Here's to Keith, and . . . everybody else" Kinda funny, none of the gen-xers ever thank Mick, oh well . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-14 09:10 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Re: OT: Pearl Jam's Waiting on a friend . . .
Posted by: albop ()
Date: January 14, 2009 14:05

I like it !

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 14, 2009 15:17

i like vedder alot when he sings relaxed.
his voice sounds fantastic and alot better then when he sings in that typical vedder-grunge style...

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 14, 2009 19:20

I don't like this 'little band' PJ at all,

but hey this is a really nice cover, sung in a nice friendly style, better then Jagger does

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 14, 2009 19:27

when they opened for the stones in oakland in '97 (and even though i'm not anti-pj, i didn't come into the show until after their set on 3 or the 4 occasions) - they flirted with a stones tune as a tease - i forget now - was beast of burden? also, if memory serves, eddie came on with the stones that show for a duet on woaf, didn't he? or has the last decade of debauchery completely fried what's left of my memory....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 14, 2009 19:34

T&A
or has the last decade of debauchery completely fried what's left of my memory....

I know what you mean. It's hell on the motor skills too, why just yesterday I g]gaivpawbpifg2bbgi[ghq4\-h gspivgaw72[t'o2grn

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 14, 2009 20:11

I like this cover and I love those hilarious comments made by Eddie.

Date: January 14, 2009 21:45

T&A
when they opened for the stones in oakland in '97 (and even though i'm not anti-pj, i didn't come into the show until after their set on 3 or the 4 occasions) - they flirted with a stones tune as a tease - i forget now - was beast of burden? also, if memory serves, eddie came on with the stones that show for a duet on woaf, didn't he? or has the last decade of debauchery completely fried what's left of my memory....

Yeah they did a tease of i think Beast of Burden, just kidding around, to get the stones a little pissed off, remember this is the same singer/band that when they opened up a few shows in europe for U2 in 1993, Eddie was wearing a homemade shirt that said "Paul is Dead", refering to Bono's real name . . . i do not think that Ed did a duet with Mick in 1997 . . . the debauchery has completely fried you, no just kidding.

For those set lists nuts out there, when Pearl Jam opened four shows in Oakland in 1997 for the Stones, each set was completely different . . . and they had a new album, Yield just release so they performed alot of "new stuff".

Date: January 14, 2009 22:09

NorthShoreBlues2
. i do not think that Ed did a duet with Mick in 1997 . . . the debauchery has completely fried you,

but, perhaps my debauchery has fried you! check it out:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: January 15, 2009 00:56

Well that's just grand, that's what that is!

Date: January 15, 2009 02:51

T&A
NorthShoreBlues2
. i do not think that Ed did a duet with Mick in 1997 . . . the debauchery has completely fried you,

[www.iorr.org]

My debauchery has fired my brain!!!!!!!!!!!!! Indeed, you were right! I don't know why i did not remember that, in fact, i'm going to see if i have a recording of it . . .

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 15, 2009 03:06

T&A
NorthShoreBlues2

[www.iorr.org]

It's fried me. I went to two of those shows and remember very little.Except that it poured rain during PJ one night.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 15, 2009 04:24

Here is Ed with the Stones doing Waiting on a friend 1997: just scroll down its at the end of the page, to listen or download . . .

[www.pearljambootlegs.org]

Here is Pearl Jam's set w/Ed and the Stones for Waiting on a friend.

[www.sendspace.com]

11/19/97 - Oakland Stadium: Oakland, CA
supporting: The Rolling Stones
set: Sometimes, Hail Hail, Animal, Do The Evolution, Dissident, Even Flow, Given To Fly, Better Man, Off He Goes, Corduroy, Beast of Burden (tease), Go, Black, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

notes: The band is apparently really on again tonight. Ed plays maracas once again, this time during 'Animal.' 'Even Flow' is a long, extended jam with the band members all facing Jack, their backs to the audience. "It was so @#$%&' pretty last night" Eddie says just before 'Given To Fly.' After Mike plays a little 'Start Me Up' teaser riff, a nearly complete cover of 'Beast of Burden' is performed, though Eddie kind of looks down and mumbles when they reach the "all I want/is for you to make love to me" lines. (Awww, how cute!) During 'Alive' Eddie loses his place and substitutes "I forgot the words to the song, she said." He then dumps wine on people in the audience and runs the ENTIRE length of the Stones' stage, from left to right. They close with an awesome version of 'Yellow Ledbetter,' ended with Mike just soloing (and including a bit of 'Sympathy for the Devil'), and the rest of the band applauding him at the finish. Stone was brave enough to wear his glasses tonight, even.
Later: Ed comes out and duets with the Stones on 'Waiting on a Friend.'Ed kisses Mick, Ronnie and Keith on the cheek at the end.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 15, 2009 05:33

very nice version!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 15, 2009 05:40

This is about the best cover version of a Stones song that I have ever heard. Nice job!! Not easy to do.

Date: January 15, 2009 08:19

NorthShoreBlues2
Here is Ed with the Stones doing Waiting on a friend 1997: just scroll down its at the end of the page, to listen or download . . .

[www.sendspace.com]

set: Sometimes, Hail Hail, Animal, Do The Evolution, Dissident, Even Flow, Given To Fly, Better Man, Off He Goes, Corduroy, Beast of Burden (tease), Go, Black, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

notes: The band is apparently really on again tonight. Ed plays maracas once again, this time during 'Animal.' 'Even Flow' is a long, extended jam with the band members all facing Jack, their backs to the audience. "It was so @#$%&' pretty last night" Eddie says just before 'Given To Fly.' After Mike plays a little 'Start Me Up' teaser riff, a nearly complete cover of 'Beast of Burden' is performed, though Eddie kind of looks down and mumbles when they reach the "all I want/is for you to make love to me" lines. (Awww, how cute!) During 'Alive' Eddie loses his place and substitutes "I forgot the words to the song, she said." He then dumps wine on people in the audience and runs the ENTIRE length of the Stones' stage, from left to right. They close with an awesome version of 'Yellow Ledbetter,' ended with Mike just soloing (and including a bit of 'Sympathy for the Devil'), and the rest of the band applauding him at the finish. Stone was brave enough to wear his glasses tonight, even.
Later: Ed comes out and duets with the Stones on 'Waiting on a Friend.'Ed kisses Mick, Ronnie and Keith on the cheek at the end.

it was nothing like a nearly complete cover of beast - maybe 20-30 seconds' worth....

Date: January 15, 2009 15:13

T&A
NorthShoreBlues2

[www.sendspace.com]

it was nothing like a nearly complete cover of beast - maybe 20-30 seconds' worth....

I know, i'm not sure why the description says that . . . they did do an "almost complete" version in 1993 with some different lyrics . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home