Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Best-Sounding 1972 Boot May Be...
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 23, 2006 00:04

...not a bootleg at all, but the "Ladies & Gentlemen" soundtrack that was posted a while back. That was one of Vancouver's, was it not?

Re: The Best-Sounding 1972 Boot May Be...
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 23, 2006 00:08

any chance of a re-post on that?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 23, 2006 00:14

Dunno man, you'll have to ask him. He originally offered it on July 5.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: August 24, 2006 02:10

"Ladies and Gentlemen' that Van posted was ok; not near as good sound quality as Brussels, though - although I realize Brussels is from the '73 winter tour, not '72. I was actually expecting that 'Ladies and Gentlemen' soundtrack to sound alot better than it did; it was pretty muddy, IMO, which I know means dickall. o)

Posted by: Luke33 ()
Date: August 24, 2006 17:01

i agree Taylor-era.
Also - I'm not a big fan of "bootlegs" which are splices of various concerts. I like recordings of full concerts, and L&G is not this.

For instance, I'd put Charlotte audience recording way ahead of L&G soundtrack.
And Pittsburgh soundboard is also better - mainly because it is music from the one show.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 24, 2006 17:38

From the 72 Tour, the old "Philadelphia Special" from TSP is my favourite one soundwise. L&G, despite all the fuss about it, is badly mixed to my ears, somewhat muddy as TaylorEra wrote, and with a relatively poor channel separation: I like hearing Keef on one channel and Taylor on the other. Pittsburgh 72 should be as famous as Brussels if it wasn't for the hiss on the tape...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: August 24, 2006 20:13

Folks:

I'll tell what isn't muddy and that is LONESTAR SHOOTERS by Sister Morphine. I'm sure the same can be said for LADIES AND GENTLEMEN by Sister Morphine.

Excellent quality.

SFTD

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 24, 2006 20:40

SFTD:

Muddy perhaps is not the best word, my english is not good enough, but it is a somewhat dark sound, seems like Taylor is playing backstage or at the basement. The guitars don't cut through the mix as they should, IMO. But the mixing can't be improved without the masters. I mean, Sister Morphine can do a great job qith the EQ, but it's the mix what is lacking clearity. The drums sound OK through the CD, but it's the guitars that aren't mixed upfront. Pittsburgh 72 lacks the cleanliness (if such word exixts, LOL) of L&G, lacking the highs, but you can hear the guitars through the mix very upfront.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: August 24, 2006 21:47

madison ,,,or the welcome to ny... best soundbard

Posted by: SonicBBQ ()
Date: August 25, 2006 03:09

apparently everyone has forgotten Welcome To New York...

Date: August 25, 2006 11:14

Ladies And Gentlemen by TMOQ is by far the best recording I've heard from the STP 72-tour.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: August 27, 2006 03:34

I concur that the 4-cd set "Philly Special" which features a lot of bonus stuff from the Texas dates is by far my favourite. The live Philly stuff is both great sounding in terms of audio and an even better performance. Every Stones fan should have Philly 1972. L&G is great for the video performances I agree but when it comes to listening a cd, it's Philly all the way.

In second place it's the first show from Vancouver which is an awesome audience recording a tasty and sloppy performance. The "Rocks Off" is the messiest I've ever heard and I love it!!!!!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 27, 2006 23:12

you can't do that baby

Posted by: Doolittle ()
Date: August 28, 2006 00:21

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ladies And Gentlemen by TMOQ is by far the best
> recording I've heard from the STP 72-tour.

Yes- I second that!. In fact I agree with almost all the comments here. Yes- 'Muddy' is the right word for some parts of the old boot version of 'L&G'. I also don't like boots 'spliced' from different sources (of varying quality) & also agree that the 'Swinging Pig' release of 'Philadelphia Special' (Vol.1) is one of the best.
The only thing I'd disagree with, is the choice of 'Welcome To New York'. That's a great recording, but a tired sounding performance.
I'd also agree with the person who recommended the 'Vancouver' show. It was the opening night & yes, it's sloppy as Hell- but a real treat for the ears, with some very rarely played songs in the setlist.
The 'Sister Morphine' release 'Lonestar Shooters' is also (as someone above said) really good. This soundboard version of 'Fort Worth' (sorry- I'm tired & can't remember whether it's the 1st or 2nd show) was first 'unearthed' by VGP & released as 'Fort Worth Express'. It was good, but very 'hissy'. Sister Morphine really did a great job of remastering this one.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: August 28, 2006 12:54

I also have L&G from TMOQ, and I think the mix lacks punch. The audience ist mixed way upfront. And also, some of the tracks are not particularly strong versions.

I'd much prefer "Very ancient, thank you kindly" (although it runs a little fast and is also a compilation - but with killer tracks and good sound), "Stones Touring Pary" (which combines all the famous Texas, Philadelphia and NY gigs available in soundboard quality) and finally "Philadelphia Special" (The Philly Gigs are the strongest all in all IMO).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-28 16:48 by Greenblues.

Date: August 28, 2006 15:59

For performance only I would have chosen other releases than the TMOQ L&G. However, I haven't heard any boots with better (crisp and clear) sound. For instance, listen to Taylor's acoustic work - I haven't heard any other boot that provides the details in his playing (Sweet Virginia) as good as on this...

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: August 28, 2006 23:29

keep your motor running?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home