Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Does the 60s generation attach too much importance to itself?
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 9, 2008 20:47

Yes.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 9, 2008 20:54

T&A, ya know the next stones tour we should get together and catch the stones and do some partying .you sure sound like fun .i would most enjoy that.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 9, 2008 20:56

The Greek
T&A, ya know the next stones tour we should get together and catch the stones and do some partying .you sure sound like fun .i would most enjoy that.

can i bring a date? SCL has been pestering me for one - maybe we could double-date.....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 9, 2008 20:58

sounds like a plan to me .it's not a party unless the ladies are there and then the real fun starts . i will get the drinks and party favors!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:01

The Greek
sounds like a plan to me .it's not a party unless the ladies are there and then the real fun starts . i will get the drinks and party favors!!!

see you in 2010! this is exciting.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:07

I'm in my 30s, so I missed the '60s. They sound great from everything I've heard and read. I am sick of baby boomers, tho. They're way too self-important and think the world revolves around their wrinkly asses. They should go away. The day the last baby boomer dies, the rest of the world is going to throw a big celebration.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:14

The Greek

The Greek - Here's hoping you are not easily disappointed.

(ducking for cover)

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:30

ohnonotyouagain
I'm in my 30s, so I missed the '60s. They sound great from everything I've heard and read. I am sick of baby boomers, tho. They're way too self-important and think the world revolves around their wrinkly asses. They should go away. The day the last baby boomer dies, the rest of the world is going to throw a big celebration.

Aren't the Stones baby boomers?!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:34

The 60s provided more musical advances than any generation after it. Since then it's a constant watering down of rock'n'roll.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:38

Silver Dagger
The 60s provided more musical advances than any generation after it. Since then it's a constant watering down of rock'n'roll.

that rings true only if you disregard all except a 5 piece guitar based rock n roll bands.

OLDKR

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 9, 2008 21:51

Except for Ronnie, the Stones were born slightly before the Baby Boomers.
That generation starts in 1946, some put it slightly earlier in '45, immediately post WWII. Boomers grew up with the Stones who are inextricably tied into the
counterculture of the times.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 9, 2008 22:56

Four Stone Walls
ohnonotyouagain

Aren't the Stones baby boomers?!

Or close enough that they might as well be. That goes for most of the other rock stars from the '60s and '70s also. What the hell, we all gotta go sometime.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 9, 2008 23:57

YES YES YES !

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 10, 2008 00:51

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 10, 2008 01:03

sounds like some of us here have major jealousy problems as they came from a decade with no balls, good music, major art achievements (except by self same generation of 60's or heavily influenced 60's playwrights, songwriters etc...) nor social achievement for the most part. i love being in my fifties and feel very lucky to have lived thru folk, the beats, and going back RESPECTFULLY to the twenties (Armstrong a genius beyond the telling), The thirties and forties etc....

lazy sods, bitchin' like ol' grandpas in their shallow universes, enjoying the fruits and labor with no larger cultural understanding.
this shit is ridiculous...and agism that shows terror at aging, or missing 'it')
history is there and present for those who wish to immerse themselves in whatever...re-reading Gore Vidal's 'inventing a nation' but now i feel so baaad about that because the fuc&ker is almost ninety or something.
and sharp as a tack. and brilliant.
take the fine stuff, whatever the decade and century.
i've seen a recent picture of helen mirren at malibu beach in a bikini at '62 and she is so strikingly elegant and beautiful in every way...
i think the posters here, thread author and many others attach much too much importance to a very feeble arguement with no context and very few reasonable arguments...other than reactionary bullshit. no matter. it's a pleasure knowing rock from it's origins to it's decay, and it's occasional rising...a gift.
an immense gift. every generation is going to find selfish bastards and hypocrits and some here are ignoring their own generation's uselessness because they worship bands that only the cultural phenemonon of blues and rock and hillbilly and country coming together and changing the way people move, think, enjoy their music etc...
i'd venture an opinion saying only the roaring twenties could rival the sixties in the last century.
the eighties and half the seventires sucked...the nineties weren't much better.
if it wasn't for the sixties you'd be fans of whatever shit they picked for you to buy. true that. right on. far out. and dig it.
grass, gas or ass...we are hitting the highway tonight with everything we've got.
hoo yah...
boo yah...
rolling stones LOUD on BIG JBL SIYSTEM IN A BIGASS CAR...
hail hail rock and roll....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-10 18:04 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 10, 2008 13:30

Does the 60s generation attach too much importance to itself?

Yes of course I do. Doesn't everyone?

I count myself very lucky to have been born just in time to be a teenager in the mid-60s, but I was a very uncool teenager. Being confronted with a snapshot of my 15-year-old self recently reminded me of that, and being born in 1949 doesn't automatically make anybody cool.

I can imagine how younger people feel about Baby Boomers, because we lived with the generation that endured World War 2 (now there WAS an important generation!), and no matter how brave we secretly thought they were, we got very tired of them endlessly going on about it.

A lot of things happened in the 60s that I am very glad to have been around for, but all this middle-aged Everything These Days Is Rubbish attitude is just - rubbish. There's a lot happening these days that I'm glad to be around for too. The Good Old Days are now.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 10, 2008 14:40

EXCUSE ME, but it is NOT the 60's generation who have put us all in this mess! It's the younger people, those Wall Street hot shot types and wannas bees ( deliberate misspelling), who buy houses and cars they can't afford and max out all 6 of their credit cards!! They want it NOW, YESTERDAY, because they have no concept of waiting to earn the $$ for the house down payment!! They are solely to blame, more so than Fannie and Freddie and any other generationor institution that you might toss into the mix. The offenders are generally in their 20's to late 30's, with the blinge and the cars, clothes and expensive vacations that they put on their credit cards! The 60's generation are too conservative to dig such a huge hole for themselves! Like myself and all of my friends, we buy what we can afford, charge what we can pay for, and live within our means!
And why can't you speak of Pearl Harbor and Altamont in the same sentence!? It is a very interesting analogy, even though as Gazza pointed out, they are not of the same magnitude for sure. No one said that they were!

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: December 10, 2008 17:26

(Trying not to preach), I'd recommend getting involved with kids somehow in your community. I have by coaching high school sports and it can be very rewarding and THEY NEED US. Lots of kids at our school come from single parent families and they're dying for role models. There's lots of experience and knowledge on this site (other than music). Pass it on!

Peace & Love ;-)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 10, 2008 17:56

When you are great, it is hard to be humble.

Date: December 10, 2008 21:36

Lil' Brian
(Trying not to preach), I'd recommend getting involved with kids somehow in your community. I have by coaching high school sports and it can be very rewarding and THEY NEED US. Lots of kids at our school come from single parent families and they're dying for role models. There's lots of experience and knowledge on this site (other than music). Pass it on!

Peace & Love ;-)

Yes, I do that already.

I am not saying that the 60s generation did nothing. I am saying that they have blown their contribution to human evolution and enlightenment out of all proportion to the reality. Glad, I've made that clear.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2008 22:37

Now we know that "I am not saying that the 60s generation did nothing"

What about the 60s generation who did nothing, I remember bach then that there where a lot of hippies who did nothing we called them (translated from dutch) "long haired workshy scum"

Are they still living in communes ????????

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 11, 2008 01:31

NICOS
Now we know that "I am not saying that the 60s generation did nothing"

What about the 60s generation who did nothing, I remember bach then that there where a lot of hippies who did nothing we called them (translated from dutch) "long haired workshy scum"

Are they still living in communes ????????

yeah a lot of those too. peeps who liked the 'hip' or 'hippie' imprimateur as a costume hiding lost souls who didn't want to work or contribute or take care of themselves and others responsibly...there are always plenty of those ready to jump on any bandwagon, any decade...burning out worthless, brutally ignorant, not idealouges pushing for expression etc..etc...

i also do not LIVE in the sixties...and I like lots of new music and fresh artists and a lot of great stuff is happening right now...
mostly the thing about growing up in NYC in the fifties and sixties was ABC AM, The Good Guys. dandy dan ingram, cousing bruce morrow and lots of other fast talkin' double entendre funny guys playing great music of ALL popular styles on the pop charts...right from the beginning...sam cooke, martha and the vandellas, the crystals, shirelles right interspersed with james brown, the stones, beatles, animals, kinks, roy orbison, young rascals, byrds, dylan, peter, paul and mary, doors, johnny cash, tammy wynette...we were exposed to so much; all these tracks right next to each other, ray charles, van morrison, proto-punk outfits, garage-band Kings, the beach boys, dusty springfield, hell, everybody...i think the BROAD rather than NARROW casting and the advent of Japanese transistor radios really fueled what was to become that 60's generation...musically speakin'

alvin ailey and tywla tharp and chubby checker and everything congealing and bleeding into each other...fresh times...good times now too. lots of great artists, scupltors, painters, writers (r.i.p. david foster wallace)...
it was bland and business in the sixties too. that harrison scene in hard days night movie when the mag editor thought he was the new "it" boy for the new "it" girl, that george had no respect for anyway..that movie where jeff beck is playing with the Yardbirds and smacking his damn guitar into the amp over and over...i dunno...lots of great bands that were original were also allowed some room to evolve if they had a hit behind them, like the rascals and others...it's a huge subject, that decade...and alla the extrapolations and revisionist history...it was a clear and shining time for great important songwriters rallying the public for change...it affected everything really.

but yeah, a lotta slime old fakers claiming fake glory back in the day without forethought or actual presence...so i get where people would get sick of that kinda posing really quick....your 'professional' hippie type etc...kinda sickening...yes attaching too much importance to their personal selves...but as a 'movement' and a 'time' in history and culture...well, it's there for all to see and hear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-11 01:45 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 11, 2008 02:51

mickschix
EXCUSE ME, but it is NOT the 60's generation who have put us all in this mess! It's the younger people, those Wall Street hot shot types and wannas bees ( deliberate misspelling), who buy houses and cars they can't afford and max out all 6 of their credit cards!! They want it NOW, YESTERDAY, because they have no concept of waiting to earn the $$ for the house down payment!! They are solely to blame, more so than Fannie and Freddie and any other generationor institution that you might toss into the mix. The offenders are generally in their 20's to late 30's, with the blinge and the cars, clothes and expensive vacations that they put on their credit cards! The 60's generation are too conservative to dig such a huge hole for themselves! Like myself and all of my friends, we buy what we can afford, charge what we can pay for, and live within our means!

HEAR! HEAR!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 11, 2008 03:36

Last week I setup a 5.1 surround sound system in my basement. Brand new speakers, nice full stacks in the back of the room... No subwoofer, no center channel. Essentially a quadrophonic sound system..

I put on Gimme Shelter for the first time in years... Watched it start to finish. I know, its a small part of an isolated incident of blah blah blah. The "happy" moments in the film, such as when Jefferson Airplane starts playing and all the hippies are dancing their asses off and tripping balls, are amazingly insightful. THAT, is the quintessential ideal of the 60s. Immediate gratification. It only gives benefit for the moment and has NO lasting consequence.

When did any acid trip have a lasting impact on your life 20 years later?
It didn't.
It lasted for about 6 hours, only two of that peaking. Then it was over and you woke up back in reality.

What I see in Gimme Shelter is a bunch of idiots putting up the peace sign every time violence erupted. Saying 'peace' doesn't stop anything. If your wife were being raped would you walk up and say 'peace man' and just stand there? No, you'd be called to action. Heavy handed action.

In short... Idealism. Thats all I can figure out from the 1960s. 'Hope' 'Change' Its meaningless without a spine.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 11, 2008 07:24

a lot of stages were set in the 60s and so many different forms of protest and activism are based on it. everything ebbs and wanes. steps backward are always in between steps forward.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 11, 2008 07:46

Yes, LQ!

Flacv, interesting thoughts. However, your view is about as cynical as you think the 60's were idealistic,
but the topic is larger than I can wrap my head around at the moment...
without...a little help from my friends--others here.
It's about what came before and has lots of different strands.
Altamont was one of the lows, outside of the music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-11 07:48 by angee.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 11, 2008 09:41

"It is said that what is called the Spirit of an Age is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation."

Ghost Dog (1999) Jim Jarmusch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-11 09:42 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: December 11, 2008 12:23

Townshend's lyrics as they are sung this year

My generation
Boomers @#$%& it all up
now you fix it ...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 11, 2008 15:29

Pete's new version of those famous lyrics:
Talkin 'bout My Generation
We made the plan, got it started
youngsters came in, messed it up
Clueless bunch of spoiled brats
brainless kids who run on luck.
We had ideals, we had the power
Now all they do is run and cower.
If only they could organize
they'd help us all to grab the prize
But faith was lost until today,
Obama's dreams will lead the way!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: December 11, 2008 16:17

Does the 60s generation attach too much importance to itself?

YES!!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home