Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: New Let It Bleed Book
Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: November 21, 2008 21:36

Rockman
Yep Rock...only 800 sold.

Geeeez stonesrule...know it's $xpensive but 800 so far
world-wide ain't really many...probably something like
500 USA ... 200 UK ... 98 Europe ... 1 Australia ... 1 Africa ...

I'm glad to see no one in Canada is assumed to have too much money and too little sensegrinning smiley

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: November 21, 2008 22:45

atip
Way too expensive for a book in ANY economy. In THIS economy, it's crazy.

ya but 2-3 years ago i bet lots would be whipping out the credit card for it ...

it is nice to see that people are finally realizing that living beyond their means is not a smart idea... and $600 for that book is @#$%& INSANE ... almost as insane as $450 for a concert ticket

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 22, 2008 15:11

Oh, believe me, I have no intention on coughing up cash for any future tours.
'F' that, Mcgee!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 23, 2008 02:24

I always very much liked Ethans photos of the Stones. Some of them are history!
The book is great, - but way too expensive!

Shame about all those expensive books cause so only few peopple can see all those nice pics!

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: November 23, 2008 10:11

only 800 sold:
This book is a collector's item, just like Tarlé's Exile book with Genesis. Hence this book is not expected to sell out immediately.

I don't know if there will ever be a so-called commercial edition of Ethan's book, but for those who can afford it now and for the collectors among us: order it. it is stunningly beautiful and certainly a good investment.

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 23, 2008 17:17

If this book is supposedly so good, why wait 39 years to put the thing out?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 23, 2008 17:18

the juf
This book is a collector's item, just like Tarlé's Exile book with Genesis.
I don't know if there will ever be a so-called commercial edition of Ethan's book, but for those who can afford it now and for the collectors among us: order it. it is stunningly beautiful and certainly a good investment.

Tarlé's Exile book with Genesis IS sold out and it sells on eBay regularly for about 2000 dollars, depending on the signatures in the book. Speaking of a good investment smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: November 23, 2008 18:48

Yes, I know RH, therefore I refer to it as an excellent investment! Therefore I suggest buying this book, i.e. , if you can afford it....

what we need first is a good teacher's bonus on top of our wages, RH!

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 23, 2008 19:16

Investment? That means you have to sell again.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 23, 2008 19:20

Exile was only ever signed by Mick Taylor or not. Each copy was signed by Tarle and the book sold out in just a few weeks. Let It Bleed has been a year already. There are several differences in the two projects. Most of Ethans photos while fantastic have been seen before. Sure there are loads of images that haven't but the one taken one second before or after has been. The standard copy is very highly price (nearly twice that of the exile standard on release). The deluxe copy of Let It Bleed is infinately better value with much, much nicer packaging and a signed print but there are 750 of them (alot). The Exile deluxe was produced in a run of just 260 and was just $575 on release not $900. Exile deluxe is truely a rare book. Tarle's photos aren't actually up to that of Ethan's in my humble opinion but they are a very rare insight into the life of the band recording one of their most popular albums. There are millions of photos of the Stones on stage so while Ethan's photos are fantastic, they aren't really new. That in a nut shell is the difference between the two books. If you are going to buy it I strongly recommend you by the deluxe one. It is really worth the extra. I have every Genesis book, deluxe and standard but I will only by the deluxe of Let It Bleed. The standard one doesn't represent good value for money (in my opinion) and will still be available in 3 years.

Date: November 23, 2008 19:25

mattleeuk
Exile was only ever signed by Mick Taylor or not. Each copy was signed by Tarle and the book sold out in just a few weeks. Let It Bleed has been a year already. There are several differences in the two projects. Most of Ethans photos while fantastic have been seen before. Sure there are loads of images that haven't but the one taken one second before or after has been. The standard copy is very highly price (nearly twice that of the exile standard on release). The deluxe copy of Let It Bleed is infinately better value with much, much nicer packaging and a signed print but there are 750 of them (alot). The Exile deluxe was produced in a run of just 260 and was just $575 on release not $900. Exile deluxe is truely a rare book. Tarle's photos aren't actually up to that of Ethan's in my humble opinion but they are a very rare insight into the life of the band recording one of their most popular albums. There are millions of photos of the Stones on stage so while Ethan's photos are fantastic, they aren't really new. That in a nut shell is the difference between the two books. If you are going to buy it I strongly recommend you by the deluxe one. It is really worth the extra. I have every Genesis book, deluxe and standard but I will only by the deluxe of Let It Bleed. The standard one doesn't represent good value for money (in my opinion) and will still be available in 3 years.

Agree...750 is indeed a lot

Date: November 23, 2008 19:44

Matt, are you like a millionaire?

Date: November 23, 2008 20:48

Thanks for your advice Matt. Although right now I won't be able to buy any of both editions.

-------------------

Date: November 23, 2008 22:15

Rolling Hansie
Thanks for your advice Matt. Although right now I won't be able to buy any of both editions.

Did you also have Fortis shares? confused smiley

Date: November 24, 2008 00:57

Palace Revolution 2000 said "Matt, are you like a millionaire?"

Alas no. I just enjoy collecting and have acquired an extensive knowledge of stuff as well as a fairly impressive collection (for 10 years starting with nothing and no money). It is a question of priorities, hard work, networking and a sprinkling of luck.

My very small share portfolio has taken a bath like everyone elses. I wish I had bought more memorabilia. Certainly a lot more enjoyable and well selected items are indeed great investments. eBay has had a very interesting effect. It has proven items true rarity and desirability. Many items that were considered rare because the average collector would never see one in their local store are now easy to find and cheap but items that remain genuinely hard to find have a global market and fetch record prices.

Research well, know your market and constantly search and you can build a great collection. Happy collecting!

Date: November 24, 2008 02:40

Matt, I know you are a pro at what you do, and my remark came out sounding the wrong way. It's good there are guys like you out there.

Date: November 24, 2008 02:58

Palace, I didn't take it the wrong way so don't worry! I always appreciate typing can read very differently to how it is meant when written.

There is far too much stuff to collect so I recently quit my job and started my own business! Not necessarily the best timing but I was never going to get rich working for someone else. Time will tell if I breaks or makes me!

I don't just buy anything... hence the reason I don't have a copy of "Let It Bleed" yet. I just don't think it is well priced for the volume of copies. Publishers should leave something in it for the collectors. You want to see the book sell out and increase in value. I just figured Rhino aren't experts in this area and there is a chance they will get bored and discount these. Certainly they will be available for 5 years from publication in my estimation so I'm not in a rush. If they do surprise me I will find an aftermarket copy later so I am just not fussed. Stu on the other hand I have a proof, contributor and regular copy :-)

Sometimes I get it wrong but having studied the market and collected for 10 years I get it wrong less and less.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-24 03:08 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 08:58

matt, some great posts and very interesting. Out of the current ones on Genesis, which would you recommend? I really like the look of the commander edition of Rolling Stones' T.O.T.A. '75. (COMMANDER). The starship is sold out. How about The Who live? Seems some new copies have been dug up from Universal...
I have only one from them, From Station to Station, which is stunning.

Date: November 24, 2008 11:43

whitem8,

Below I have summerised the status of all the Genesis Stones titles. You are right about the Commander. The book is beatiful in a totally gorgeous box with the reproduction backstage passes and room keys. The price point at $450 is a lot less than the Standard "Let It Bleed" at $650 and TOTA really feels like a very special book. The deluxe was something else though originally at $750 and in full leather with the reproduction yet eagle patch, a signed print and the starship booklet. With only 350 copies it is so much rarer than the deluxe Let It Bleed and $200 cheaper. The price point is actually nearer the standard Let It Bleed but there is NO comparison. However, you can expect to pay double the release price for one of these now. The regular edition remains good value but will take longer to sell out as there are 2,150 of them. Don't expect a rapid increase in value but do expect a wonderful book that you will enjoy and will hold its value if cared for.

I only collect the Stones titles but I have been known to speculate on others. I bought 3 of the Station to Station deluxe as they were signed by Bowie and the others were not. Those doubled in value in a matter of weeks (I sold two kept one). With the Weller deluxe I did the same, that sold out before the book was even finished! Taken By Storm is doing really well and there are only 500 copies but multi artist products are often harder to sell. One important tip if you ever intend on selling a book like this keep ALL the original packaging. The next owner wants the same experience as you and doesn't want to recieve it in an old orange box from the supermarket. Most of the shipping boxes are now custom printed and are regarded as part of the item.

Mason's Yard to Primrose Hill by Gered Mankowitz - No Deluxe / Standard Sold Out
Crossfire Hurricane by Bob Gruen - No Deluxe / Standard Sold Out
I-Contact by Gered Mankowitz - Deluxe Sold Out / Standard Sold Out
Wood On Canvas - by Ronnie Wood - Deluxe Sold Out / Standard £235
Wyman Shoots Chagall - by Bill Wyman - Deluxe Sold Out / Standard £150
Pleased to Meet You - by Michael Putland - No Deluxe /Standard £234
Exile by Dominique Tarle - Deluxe Sold Out / Standard Sold Out
Rolling Stones TOTA 75 - by Christopher Simon-Sykes - Deluxe Sold Out / Standard £295

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-24 13:03 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 11:48

Just got it; this is not Genesis, but a great one.

[cgi.ebay.it]

More info about this gem, here:

[www.out-take.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-24 11:50 by straycat58.

Date: November 24, 2008 11:52

The Deluxe version of "Wood on cancas" costed a lot more than 235£, did,'t it?
At least I bought it for more.

Date: November 24, 2008 12:49

Harm, yes my table didn't work in the post above. I have just edited it so it works now....

The original retail of the Wood On Canvas deluxe was £750 although relatively few were made available to the public as it was principally a friends and family edition. This was amazing value given there are only 100 of them, it is full leather and it comes with a piece of Ronnie signed art and a gold CD there are only 100 of! These are worth around $2,000 now.

Here is the little known about deluxe copy of "The Works". Never sold to the public, only 200 copies were made.

....and the more recent Autobiography "deluxe" copy that was limited to 600 copies and came with a Ronnie signed print. These are $400 and I have just a handful of copies left. Both the book and print are signed by Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-24 13:04 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 14:47

Matt,

Whew beautiful book!!
Yes, I love Station to Station and keep it in the original box that it was shipped in. I have both Geoff's and Bowie's sigs on it. I love that book, and don't think I could ever sell it. Maybe if I needed a kidney.
I am thinking seriously of buying the Stones, even though it isn't the Starship. I am a big Beatles fan as well and some of the early Astrid books look stunning.

What do you think about the Who live one that they are selling. Looks nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-24 15:07 by whitem8.

Date: November 25, 2008 01:10

Whitem8, you made a VERY wise choice going for the Station to Station deluxe. Bowie signed every copy of "Moonage Daydream" the first Genesis Bowie book where as with Station to Station he signed only the deluxe copies. Not to mention the photo you get and the much nicer packaging and increased rarity. They Station to Station deluxe literally doubled in price overnight as they were sold out almost instantly. I had a customer cancel an order after I had already ordered and paid for their copy but it was brilliant as I got double within days.

It's a while since I have seen the Who Live book. A great book but I think its release price was about £200. It isn't as impressive in terms of production as the TOTA for the same money but still beautifully made.

I have been a Genesis distributor since 1997 so would be delighted to assist you with any purchases. Most find there are many little benefits of dealing with me. I buy so many copies (I had about 35% of the Wood on Canvas deluxe run for example) so I can get special numbers, get things delivered quickly and often free! (which is a big saving on books this heavy).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-25 01:11 by mattleeuk.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 25, 2008 07:21

I purchased the deluxe Exile when it was released, and have never regretted it. I will not purchase Let it Bleed. If I was going to spend the money, I would probably buy the TOTA book instead.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 25, 2008 07:41

Was Genesis the publisher of George Harrison's I ME MINE way back when? What do those go for these days (and was the value decreased when they did a mass-market issue later?)?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 25, 2008 07:48

Glam Descendant
Was Genesis the publisher of George Harrison's I ME MINE way back when? What do those go for these days (and was the value decreased when they did a mass-market issue later?)?

I believe that there were 750 copies of I Me Mine and they have consistently been sold for prices of over $2000. I don't think that the price was affected by the later mass-market version.

The greatest Genesis book is the deluxe edition of Mick Rock's Psychedelic Renegades, of course, signed by Syd Barrett. As I recall, there were about 250 of them, and they virtually never show up on any auction sites. The 2-3 copies that have sold have been over $5000!

Date: November 25, 2008 08:33

drbryant, don't remind me! I had a copy of Psychedelic Renegades Deluxe stolen at a Record Fair. Not a good day.

Date: November 25, 2008 11:21

The Deluxe copy of "Wood on Canvas" signed by Bob Dylan, Bernard Fowler, Ron Wood and Derryl Jones must be worth thousands of $. smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2008 19:03

Looks like a very interesting book, Harm cool smiley

-------------------

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home