Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT:New Springsteen Album
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 17, 2008 04:35

At halftime of the Sunday night NFL game tonight:

Are you ready for some football? Well, even if you're not, you'll probably want to tune in to the Cowboys/Redskins Sunday Night Football game on November 16. As NBC's Al Michaels announced last night: "Next week we'll have the world premiere of Springsteen's new song 'Workin' on a Dream' set to NFL highlights at halftime at next week's game." Springsteen performed an acoustic version of the new song last week in Cleveland; this will be our first chance to hear the studio recording.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-17 17:39 by sweetcharmedlife.

Re: OT:New Springsteen song debut's tonight
Date: November 17, 2008 04:58

Sounded pretty good. The little you got to hear that is. Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 17, 2008 15:01

Assuming this is a solo Bruce song since the E Street are done after this tour?? Sad way to go out with Magic after how great The Rising was.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 17, 2008 15:04

er..no...hes recorded a new ESB album AFTER the tour and will be touring behind it - WITH the ESB - from February onwards.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 17, 2008 15:09

...can't wait!

Date: November 17, 2008 15:17

Europe first - Feb/March
then North America ending in May.

About 18-20 shows each leg.

I've heard that he'll start in Spain around Feb 7th and any UK/Irish dates should be in February.

The personnel is rumoured to be the E Street Band with a couple of changes in line up and maybe some extra musicians.

Guess we'll know more in the next few weeks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 17, 2008 15:40

VoodooLounge13
Assuming this is a solo Bruce song since the E Street are done after this tour?? Sad way to go out with Magic after how great The Rising was.

IMHO, Magic was much better than The Rising.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 17, 2008 17:31

Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13

IMHO, Magic was much better than The Rising.

I wholeheartedly agree. I disliked The Rising so much,I skipped that tour. Which I regretted. But made up for it on the Magic tour.

The personnel is rumoured to be the E Street Band with a couple of changes in line up and maybe some extra musicians.

That's the first I've heard that rumour Gazza. I really don't think he needs many more muscians. Band's already pretty big...And I certainly don't want to see some SSB hybrid.

Date: November 17, 2008 17:39

News updated November 17, 2008

NEW ALBUM: WORKING ON A DREAM SET FOR JANUARY 27 RELEASE
It's official: Bruce Springsteen's new album is set for January 27 release on Columbia Records. Working on a Dream was recorded with the E Street Band and features twelve new Springsteen compositions plus two bonus tracks. It is the fourth collaboration between Springsteen and Brendan O'Brien, who produced and mixed the album.

Track list:
1. Outlaw Pete
2. My Lucky Day
3. Working On a Dream
4. Queen of the Supermarket
5. What Love Can Do
6. This Life
7. Good Eye
8. Tomorrow Never Knows
9. Life Itself
10. Kingdom of Days
11. Surprise, Surprise
12. The Last Carnival

Bonus tracks:
The Wrestler
A Night with the Jersey Devil

Springsteen said, "Towards the end of recording Magic, excited by the return to pop production sounds, I continued writing. When my friend producer Brendan O'Brien heard the new songs, he said, 'Let's keep going.' Over the course of the next year, that's just what we did, recording with the E Street Band during the breaks on last year's tour. I hope Working on a Dream has caught the energy of the band fresh off the road from some of the most exciting shows we've ever done. All the songs were written quickly, we usually used one of our first few takes, and we all had a blast making this one from beginning to end."

Working on a Dream is Bruce Springsteen's twenty-fourth album and was recorded and mixed at Southern Tracks in Atlanta, GA with additional recording in New York City, Los Angeles, and New Jersey

Re: OT:New Springsteen Album
Date: November 17, 2008 18:36

Thanks - can't wait to hear it.

Re: The Rising - well-written (as always), but the subject matter was so bleak (9-11) that I had a hard time getting into it.

I like "ROCKIN'" music and Bruce is one of the best - not so much into his drearier stuff. "Mary's Place" ain't bad and neither is "Skin To Skin" (maybe Bruce's sexiest song). A few others but I was looking for a barn-burner.

R'n'R should be about good times, fast cars, faster women, loud music, and dancin'. Now, "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" - that's what I'm talking about!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: November 17, 2008 19:26

New lp? Isn't he just wrapping up touing? Jan is pretty fast. So that means another big tour?

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 17, 2008 19:44

I can't wait to NOT buy this album. Ever since Bruce became a full-time celebretard I've lost all respect for him. It'll be on the bit-torrent sites by January 15 anyway.

NEW ALBUM: WORKING ON A DREAM SET FOR JANUARY 27 RELEASE
It's official: Bruce Springsteen's new album is set for January 27 release on Columbia Records. Working on a Dream was recorded with the E Street Band and features twelve new Springsteen compositions plus two bonus tracks. It is the fourth collaboration between Springsteen and Brendan O'Brien, who produced and mixed the album.

Track list:
1. Outlaw Pete
2. My Lucky Day
3. Working On a Dream
4. Queen of the Supermarket
5. What Love Can Do
6. This Life
7. Good Eye
8. Tomorrow Never Knows
9. Life Itself
10. Kingdom of Days
11. Surprise, Surprise
12. The Last Carnival
Bonus tracks:
The Wrestler
A Night with the Jersey Devil

Springsteen said, "Towards the end of recording Magic, excited by the return to pop production sounds, I continued writing. When my friend producer Brendan O'Brien heard the new songs, he said, 'Let's keep going.' Over the course of the next year, that's just what we did, recording with the E Street Band during the breaks on last year's tour. I hope Working on a Dream has caught the energy of the band fresh off the road from some of the most exciting shows we've ever done. All the songs were written quickly, we usually used one of our first few takes, and we all had a blast making this one from beginning to end."
Working on a Dream is Bruce Springsteen's twenty-fourth album and was recorded and mixed at Southern Tracks in Atlanta, GA with additional recording in New York City, Los Angeles, and New Jersey. [press release from www.shorefire.com]
The album drops just five days before Bruce and the E Street Band play the halftime show at Super Bowl XLIII. A preview of the album's title track came last night on NBC's Sunday Night Football, a 90-second edit of the song over halftime highlights:

Date: November 17, 2008 19:56

24th album? - damn, I've missed a few!

Date: November 17, 2008 20:09

Date: November 17, 2008 10:44

I can't wait to NOT buy this album. Ever since Bruce became a full-time celebretard I've lost all respect for him

Yet you repost the same press release I posted and you know when the album will be out on the torrent sites. Sounds like a pretty big fan to me.moody smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 17, 2008 20:12

Totally great news. A new album and a new tour. Yeah!!!

Date: November 17, 2008 20:18

Errrrrr, aren't most musicians that we've heard of celebrities? Do you not like the Stones, Beatles, Elvis, etc. because they are famous? I'm more into what the music sounds like.

I probably wouldn't want to sit down and discuss politics with Bruce (or any other celebs), but I've love to take a ride around the Circuit in Asbury Park while listening to his favorite songs with him.

To prove (it all night) that I'm not a complete idiot, I'd love to talk politics with most world leaders to hear their views and logic (or lack thereof).

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 17, 2008 20:27

I do recall reading recently (RS?) that O'Brien said there were enough leftover tracks from the Magic sessions for a whole next record. Whatever the truth to that is as far as this new record is concerned I don't know.

Date: November 17, 2008 20:58

Elmo Lewis
I'm more into what the music sounds like.

Me too but Bruce's regurgitation of partisan talking points overshadows his music and frankly ruins it, for me anyway. I'll listen to the new one. Hell, there'll no doubt be songs on it I'll love - but I won't BUY it.

Date: November 17, 2008 21:04

Point taken, R.

I don't like my music and politics mixed.

Bruce, Sting, Bono, Fogerty, Mellencamp, etc. - all talented cats with some great songs, HOWEVER, can the sh*t and play your guitar.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 17, 2008 21:04

I'm not at all a Springsteen fan, and I'm envious of them, because, he's basically done what we would like our boys to do, i.e. to cut a new album while still on the road with fresh material. Respect fo Springsteen then, even if I find his music very boring.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 17, 2008 23:02

Ya just gotta respect this man. You may not love the 'Magic' album, but I can't help but be in awe of the Boss as he has given his fans SO much music in recent years, from new studio albums (which are all impressive, I think), to live albums, to great re-issues, to unreleased gems from the archives. What more could a fan want? He just keeps pressing new stuff, keeps on touring, and his music is diverse and exciting as ever (re: Devils and Dust/ Seeger Sessions/ Magic all are VERY different). He's a role model for all the other legends still making music. He's not just making money off playing exclusively old hits on stage, he's playing radically different sets each night, his band is tight, and his creative juices are still flowing.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 17, 2008 23:04

Not a fan of Brendan O'Brien's production work with Springsteen. The instruments do not have a chance to breath. Too many layers and seemed mashed together.

Date: November 17, 2008 23:06

Tate
Ya just gotta respect this man. You may not love the 'Magic' album, but I can't help but be in awe of the Boss as he has given his fans SO much music in recent years, from new studio albums (which are all impressive, I think), to live albums, to great re-issues, to unreleased gems from the archives. What more could a fan want? He just keeps pressing new stuff, keeps on touring, and his music is diverse and exciting as ever (re: Devils and Dust/ Seeger Sessions/ Magic all are VERY different). He's a role model for all the other legends still making music. He's not just making money off playing exclusively old hits on stage, he's playing radically different sets each night, his band is tight, and his creative juices are still flowing.

You got it.

Date: November 17, 2008 23:07

sweetcharmedlife
That's the first I've heard that rumour Gazza. I really don't think he needs many more muscians. Band's already pretty big...And I certainly don't want to see some SSB hybrid.

I think its more a case of one or two band members being unavailable, rather than anything else.

Date: November 17, 2008 23:14

Elmo Lewis
24th album? - damn, I've missed a few!

Studio albums - 16 (including the new one)
Live albums - 5
Greatest Hits albums - 2
Boxed set of unreleased material (Tracks) - 1
1 CD version of Tracks - 1

Total : 25

After one studio album in a decade, this will be his 5th studio release in 6 and a half years. Not bad considering the amount of touring he's done almost every year in that time frame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-17 23:31 by Gazza.

Date: November 17, 2008 23:29

Gazza
sweetcharmedlife

I think its more a case of one or two band members being unavailable, rather than anything else.

Well let's hope it's soozie and patty.winking smiley

Date: November 17, 2008 23:35

trainarollin
Not a fan of Brendan O'Brien's production work with Springsteen. The instruments do not have a chance to breath. Too many layers and seemed mashed together.

O'Brien's given him a huge kick up the arse creatively, though. For most of his career he's been a prolific writer, but it always took him ages to make records.

No coincidence that since O'Brien came on board, he seems to have taken on a different approach to letting go and getting records out.

Date: November 17, 2008 23:36

skipstone
I do recall reading recently (RS?) that O'Brien said there were enough leftover tracks from the Magic sessions for a whole next record. Whatever the truth to that is as far as this new record is concerned I don't know.

Some of the songs are probably from then and others were recorded over the last couple of months.

He also recorded a couple of songs at Southern Tracks when he was in Atlanta for a show there in April.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-18 00:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: November 17, 2008 23:44

Gazza
sweetcharmedlife

Gazza - do you have specifics re: this info? The most logical guesses would be Weinberg (Conan commitments) and Scialfa (teenager commitments). I can't imagine the ESB without Max.

Date: November 18, 2008 00:07

Conan O'Brien takes over the Tonight show on 1st June - which will necessitate a move to LA and Max to be required on a more regular basis, apparently.

As far as I know he'll be on this tour, although as there doesnt appear to be any touring scheduled after May, that would tie in with the new commitments with Conan.

Nils is undergoing hip replacement surgery this autumn though, so maybe he'll be unavailable. He also mentioned on his website about playing solo shows in the spring. Hopefully he'll be on the tour as he was absolutely on fire on the last one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-18 00:09 by Gazza.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home