Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: RONNIE WOOD AND ROD STEWART REFORM THE FACES
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 13, 2008 01:27

T&A,

Crotch Music!

(didn't know Weeks had been in EC's band - never the same since Carl Radle left - a wee whiley ago, admittedly!)

Anyone else out there like the Ronnie Wood and Eric Clapton guitar combo on No Reason To Cry?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 13, 2008 01:34

Four Stone Walls
T&A,

Crotch Music!

(didn't know Weeks had been in EC's band - never the same since Carl Radle left - a wee whiley ago, admittedly!)

Anyone else out there like the Ronnie Wood and Eric Clapton guitar combo on No Reason To Cry?

and Robbie, too!

Radle was great...so was drummer jamie oldaker, one the great, unheralded drummers ever, imo....

Date: November 13, 2008 01:45

Indeed, indeed. And the man Terry. What a great Clapton-band era. Sob.

Carnival, Hungry, slabs of flowing rhythm ... and Sign Language too.

I have good anecdote - but for now, adieu, reality tasks loom .........

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 13, 2008 01:46

nice to have the JV band take the stage for awhile, until the VARSITY band is ready in late 09

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 13, 2008 02:07

I hope they mix in some stuff of Rod's first 4 solo albums (like they used to) as Mac & Woody were on all of 'em anyways.

I'd see this for sure.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 13, 2008 02:07

Yeah, with Mick Taylor on bassguitar and Bill Wyman handling 2nd guitarduties...
or something of that nature. Wait! That was another reunion discussion.

But surely, it would be nice to see the Faces back together on stage.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: November 13, 2008 04:40

Adrian-L
ablett
Excellent news

...but is it ?

why am i underwhelmed by this news?

a band that's 30-35 past it's peak
and the irreplaceable Ronnie Laine,
is no longer amongst us, doesn't excite me, if i'm honest.

couldn't agree more, has the potential to be excruciating ly embarrassing.

This band and the freespirited way in which it conducted its gigs was the complete antithesis of the concert music scene today - I'm talking corporate boxes, sit down concerts, tour sponsorships, sterile arenas, strict curfew times, non smoking gigs, high ticket prices, you name it the list goes on.

Great band in the early 70's, a reunion in 2009 is goin to be a disaster.

Please don't do it...............

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 13, 2008 04:44

why?they never took themselves serious, why should they start now, i think it would be loads of fun

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 13, 2008 04:48

melillo
why?they never took themselves serious, why should they start now, i think it would be loads of fun

as long as you don't confuse fun with great music, i'd agree

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2008 05:01

T&A
duke richardson
Darryl Jones played bass on the 'Ronnie Wood and Fiends ' London show
that was close to Faces (Mac, Kenny Jones) he'd be a good choice on bass.

one word: TETSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Who kicks off their 1st tour of Japan today.
I hope Rabbit kidnaps Tetsu to England again like "Free" carried him to their home in 1972.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: November 13, 2008 05:05

plus the amount of embarrassing mugging & hamming up between Stewart and Wood would be cringe worthy.

Stewart should stick to his guest spots with Parkinson & Wood to his painting...........

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 13, 2008 05:10

ERC6761
plus the amount of embarrassing mugging & hamming up between Stewart and Wood would be cringe worthy.

And the mugging and posing of Jagger & Richards isn't? What's the diff?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 13, 2008 11:23

This sort of debate happens on Kinks and Mott the Hoople forums. Personally I think that as long as you don't expect the reformed band to be as good as they were in the 70s there is nothing wrong with a bit of shameless nostalgia.

I'm certain that there will be a second guitarist and that's no reflection on Ronnie. Even first time around the Faces used a second guitarist, well for a few dates just before they split,when Rodders recruited Jesse Ed Davis. Also in the eighties when they did a one off reunion and Bill stood in on bass I think one of Rodder's guitarists stayed on stage but I'm not 100% on that.

One of Davis' most unusual gigs was when he became "the sixth Face" on tour. Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan explains, "In August, 1975, the Faces began rehearsals for what would become our last tour. Ronnie Wood had just come off a long Stones tour and, because Rod didn't think he could handle being the sole guitarist again after playing with Keith [Richards], he took it on himself to hire another guitarist. Unfortunately for Rod, he brought in Jesse Ed Davis, who was not just a brilliant guitarist, but a character and a raver like Ronnie and me, and we warmed to him immediately. I knew his guitar playing from Taj Mahal's albums and his slide guitar on John Lennon's version of 'Stand By Me.' But having met this Native American, I discovered a gentle man who had a sly, rascally side that particularly appealed to Ronnie and me.

"Onstage, Jesse was brilliant at finding space amid the Faces thrashing and pumping to place his subtle guitar slides and licks," Mac continues. "And backstage he was the perfect conspiratorial character to hang with - very amusing and easy going, and always up to something mischievous."

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 13, 2008 11:49

From Smiler

Rod made a big Faces announcement at Claridges Bar 10th Anniversary Party this week, Rod attended with wife Penny and daughter Kimberley. When he was asked by Raysgigs.com about the latest news about a Faces reunion, his answer was that he was meeting up with Ronnie, Mac and Kenney this Monday in the studio for their first rehearsal. Just to check if they can remember the songs. he also said they will use his current tour bass player Conrad Korsch.

Date: November 13, 2008 12:01

A couple of pictures from the aforementioned Claridges bash....

Rod, Penny and Kimberley -

Rod and Kimberley

JJ in polka dot style (she was DJ for the night) -

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 13, 2008 13:03

If it is true, this is the most exciting news of the year on this site! Which is also a reason
for a touch of sadness, because actually it is Off Topic news.

I'd love them to reunite and will consider to travel to see them. A lot of Ronnie's best work
was created with The Faces.

Date: November 13, 2008 14:14

All of his best work was with the Faces - and his first couple of albums. Not to say his work with Stones is bad. But the Faces was HIS gig.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 13, 2008 14:40

I'm sure its just a coincidence but yet another "Rod Stewart Collection" CD is scheduled for release on 18 November.
Stewart is now signed to J Records (Clive Davis, Head) - was rumoured to be working on a new studio album- not the old songbook/standards this time.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 13, 2008 14:55

By total co-incidence I just put a load of rare Faces stuff up for sale on eBay - rare live CDs and DVD, promo pics (inc Ronnie W) and rare books. My ebay id is organic5383. Email me on simon@organicandfair.com if you need more info.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 13, 2008 15:06

The best news for this year!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 13, 2008 15:09

Could be good for Ronnie's guitar playing. It'll make him focus and contribute in a more structural way to the performance. There'll be less places to hide as the sole guitarist responsible for churning out some very recognisable classic licks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-13 15:10 by Spud.

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: November 13, 2008 16:09

Perhaps Keith will turn up as 2nd guitarist as he did for a few songs on the last Faces tour in 1975!!!!!

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 13, 2008 16:40

Yep get them back togather Stewart/Wood and keep him away from the stones. This has never been his cup of tea.

Date: November 13, 2008 17:27

<Perhaps Keith will turn up as 2nd guitarist as he did for a few songs on the last Faces tour in 1975!!!!!>

I think that was in 1974. Jesse Ed Davis was second guitarist on the last tour.

Keith was great anyway!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 13, 2008 17:28

marcovandereijk
If it is true, this is the most exciting news of the year on this site!

No it's not - not even close.

Clearly, you haven't been following the Aberdeen '82 thread.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 13, 2008 17:46

rrronnie
hotpress.com:"With The Rolling Stones taking 2009 off"....This seems to be the most important part of th news as we were all (or most of us) were very positive about a new album and a tour next year. So they won't get together befor 2010 ???

i was hoping the "no tour 'till 2010" rumors weren't true but this would help confirm that. i'd be very happy to see the faces but i hope it doesn't push back a new stones album or tour.

i wonder what rod's drinking habits are like? could he have been wasted when he made this announcement?

Date: November 13, 2008 17:59

I don't think the Stones will tour again, (in present/recent format). No knowledge. Just a strong hunch.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 13, 2008 18:21

Four Stone Walls
I don't think the Stones will tour again, (in present/recent format). No knowledge. Just a strong hunch.

my hunch is stronger than your hunch - i say you're wrong....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-13 18:22 by little queenie.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 13, 2008 18:24

capsula
The best news for this year!

Its obviously been a year of very low expectations!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 13, 2008 18:28

little queenie
rrronnie
hotpress.com:"With The Rolling Stones taking 2009 off"....This seems to be the most important part of th news as we were all (or most of us) were very positive about a new album and a tour next year. So they won't get together befor 2010 ???

i was hoping the "no tour 'till 2010" rumors weren't true but this would help confirm that. i'd be very happy to see the faces but i hope it doesn't push back a new stones album or tour.

Dont think that confirms anything. Its mere speculation. Plus, theres no indication how long any Faces tour would last. With no new record to make, the fact that all of them have other 'day jobs' plus the fact that their market is more limited than the Stones, I doubt you're looking at a venture which is going to take up much of 2009.

Besides, as Ronnie has indicated before when doing some side projects, the Stones always take priority and he has to be finished within a certain time frame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-13 18:31 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home