Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: OT: Rod Says Faces Tour Is On!!!
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 22, 2008 15:56

tatters, I see your point.
Many people I know think that a lot of songs that were on Rods first 4 or so albums (which were EXCELLENT) were actually Faces songs. Many did feature some if not damn near all of the members on them, and on a lot of boots I've heard, the Faces did play them.

You're right, Stay with Me is the only bonafide 'Faces' hit in North America, so to keep fans happy, I can see them playing a lot of early Rod... which for me wuold be fine!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 22, 2008 15:59

I can't see this working out. Drunk and sloppy might have been in vouge in 1972, but Stewart's latter day bands have been accomplished professionals. Stewart can deliver the goods, the pressure will be on our beloved Woody to do the same.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 22, 2008 17:56

Shawn20
I can't see this working out. Drunk and sloppy might have been in vouge in 1972, but Stewart's latter day bands have been accomplished professionals. Stewart can deliver the goods, the pressure will be on our beloved Woody to do the same.

bingo. and even 16 years ago he struggled to be "the guy" in his own touring band. and...ummmm....let's just say time has not been kind to him. this is definitely one of those "be careful of what you wish for" things....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 22, 2008 18:34

tatters
The problem for the Faces touring in America, where I assume they WILL want to play, is that the average American classic rock fan either never heard of them, or thinks they were just Rod's backing band from the early days. Stay With Me was their ONLY hit in the United States, and most American classic rock fans don't know it's a Faces record. If the Faces US tour is going to make more money than any average Rod Stewart solo tour, their marketing team is going to have to make sure that American classic rock fans know that a Faces tour is a big deal, and these fans are going to have to be EDUCATED as to why this is so.

It would have made sense for the music business machinery to have facilitated the long-overdue induction of Faces into the RnR Hall of Fame this year if only for that very reason.

A well-produced documentary that notes their supergroup-in-reverse status would be a good start.

A good single-disc compilation that combines the most radio-friendly material from the Warner Brothers Records Faces albums along with the Rod Stewart solo Mercury Records tracks that all five Faces played on--I Know I'm Losing You, True Blue, etc. would be a first, and another way to generate some interest in the tour.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 22, 2008 20:02

loog droog
A good single-disc compilation that combines the most radio-friendly material from the Warner Brothers Records Faces albums along with the Rod Stewart solo Mercury Records tracks that all five Faces played on--I Know I'm Losing You, True Blue, etc. would be a first, and another way to generate some interest in the tour.

Wouldn't that be "Good Boys... when they're asleep" ?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 23, 2008 04:12

tatters
The problem for the Faces touring in America, where I assume they WILL want to play, is that the average American classic rock fan either never heard of them, or thinks they were just Rod's backing band from the early days. Stay With Me was their ONLY hit in the United States, and most American classic rock fans don't know it's a Faces record. If the Faces US tour is going to make more money than any average Rod Stewart solo tour, their marketing team is going to have to make sure that American classic rock fans know that a Faces tour is a big deal, and these fans are going to have to be EDUCATED as to why this is so.

it's true - lots of people hear faces songs and think they're rod stewart songs. i know it took me a while to figure it out...

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: November 23, 2008 04:28

little queenie
i know it took me a while to figure it out...

little queenie, I had a dream with you in it last night. I had lost my shoes and you were trying to help me. (Not a joke. Just thought it was odd.)

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: November 23, 2008 04:46

They're gonna need to get some good rock n' roll raunchiness going for this one... Rod and Woody both have it in them, but it's been more in sparks of brilliance lately much moreso than in the 70's. I'm interested to see what kinda attitude/design they'll use for this one. Personally, i'd love them to give it a minimal and simple feel(MSG '72) kinda look to it instead of massive lights and video.. maybe thats just me tho

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: November 23, 2008 05:31

nah, as a stones fan, rod wouldn't do it for me, ronnie or no ronnie. i have to hang on until the 50th farewell tour. they ALL have to hang on until then, don't they??

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 23, 2008 15:10

Doc
loog droog

Wouldn't that be "Good Boys... when they're asleep" ?

No. "Good Boys" contains only Faces tracks. loog droog is talking about a disc that would combine Faces tracks with Rod solo tracks from the same era. Not particularly useful for hardcore fans, but it would make a great sampler for the uninitiated novice.

Date: November 23, 2008 17:37

T&A
i remain cautiously pessimistic

Haha, while I remain carelessly optimistic.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 24, 2008 14:25

tatters

Can't find a one disc version but this is a good compilation. Changing Faces: The Very Best Of Rod Stewart & The Faces (2CD) Good basis for a setlist.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 24, 2008 17:35

listening to a SF Filllmore Faces (still known as Small Faces) show from 1970 right now. no way they should reform and tarnish a fabulous legacy....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 25, 2008 00:38

Mac is on tour in Europe in January-February, as a member of James McMurtry's Heartless Bastards band.

McMurtry's first ever European tour

TOUR DATES:

1/16 Nuremburg, DE K4

1/17 Lauchhammer, DE Real Music Club

1/18 Berlin, DE Cafe Zapata

1/20 Hamburg, DE Knust

1/21 Leipzig, DE Nato

1/22 Heilbronn, DE Red River Saloon

1/23 Eppstein, DE Wunderbar Weite Welt

1/24 Geislingen/Steige, DE Rätsche

1/25 Zürich, CH El Lokal

1/27 Amsterdam, NL Paradiso

1/28 Den Haag, NL Paard van Troje

1/29 Den Bosch, NL W2

1/30 Diksmuide, BE Club 4AD

1/31 Bristol, UK Polish Club

2/01 Glasgow, UK Oran Mor (Celtic Connections Festival)

2/02 Belfast, UK Errigle Inn

2/03 Dublin, IE Whelan's

2/04 Leeds, UK Brudenell Social Club

2/05 Newcastle, UK The Cluny

2/06 Nottingham, UK The Maze

2/07 London, UK Luminaire

2/08 London, UK Luminaire

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:15

I don't expect a Faces tour in 2009 to be anything like a Faces tour from 1975 or 1971...The soundtrack here is for newbies the very acclaimed boxed set (co produced by McLagan) "Five Guys..." and Rod's "Complete Mercury Recordings" which has a few nifty rarities as well. Faces were all over those five Mercury albums - undoubtedly Stewart's best ever. Ron Wood was his primary collaborator, playing mucho guitar and bass too, as well as co-writing classic "Rod Stewart" songs like Gasoline Alley. But McLagan is very prominent, too, Lane and Jones rather less so but always Rod included at least one Faces track per solo disc.
Re a 2-CD set Faces comp with Rod/Faces' "I'm Losing You" and "Jodie", check out "The Definitive Collection" from a year or 2 back, halfway between the previous single disc from '99 and the 4-cd box...

Date: November 25, 2008 02:17

cirrhosis
little queenie
i know it took me a while to figure it out...

little queenie, I had a dream with you in it last night. I had lost my shoes and you were trying to help me. (Not a joke. Just thought it was odd.)

i'm quite flattered, cirrhosis! maybe it's a foreshadow of an upcoming summertime show - general admission of course. the blanket gets trashed and you lose your flip flops.

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: November 25, 2008 03:14

sounds like austin, little queenie!!!

Date: November 25, 2008 17:51

kath51
sounds like austin, little queenie!!!

indeed - GA is the best - front row without needing connections or tons of cash! though blankets aren't tolerated much up front...

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: November 25, 2008 20:26

Whatever, I'd love to see some Faces live very soon! I mean, they used to be very good and rockin' and even though they might not be able to pull it off like they once did nowadays, I'd still think they can give us a good raunchy rollin' show!
I only hope they play as many smaller venues as possible, cause from what I can tell (I wasn't around in the 70s....) they were always better in theatres and clubs than in big vanues.

Keep rockin'! smoking smiley

Re: OT: Rod Stewart and Faces with Ronnie Wood
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 26, 2008 00:25

Thanks Gazza for the info on James McMurtry's Heartless Bastards Band tour next year. Those should be some great gigs as this is a really good band. Adding Mac to the lineup makes this a must do gig IMHO.

Posted by: shugmaglumfer ()
Date: November 26, 2008 06:29

hop he does some scottish songs - a piper and ronnie on banjo lolsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 26, 2008 09:18

lil queenie, i have dreams bout u all the tim

p

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: November 26, 2008 18:19

I mean no disrespect, but I don’t think you guys are aware of the resurgence in popularity this band has had in the contemporary “hipster” community. Especially since the release of the box set, a Faces fan under 35 is considered uber-cool (and always have been to me, but now there are more of them). I’m sure that the band is aware of the buzz too, and that is one of the reasons they are going for it. I can't imagine the dollar signs being that big in Stewart's eyes at the mention of a FACES reunion, certainly not after the mega-bucks he made touring behind those GREAT AMERICAN MIDDLE-AGED HOUSEWIVES SONGBOOK records. I see theaters and concert halls, but not large arenas or stadiums. I think that would be laughable at best. I’d like to say they’d throw a few mid-size bar-type venues in the mix, the kind Ian McGlagan has played for the last 20-25 years down in Austin, but I don’t think Rod Stewart would step one toe in a dive smaller than a 7,500 capacity. If that were to be the case, I’d be extremely excited about this, but as it is, I’m about 50% less enthusiastic as I would be if my hero, Ronnie Lane, were still with us.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 27, 2008 04:34

Gazza
Mac is on tour in Europe in January-February, as a member of James McMurtry's Heartless Bastards band.

McMurtry's first ever European tour

TOUR DATES:

1/16 Nuremburg, DE K4

1/17 Lauchhammer, DE Real Music Club

1/18 Berlin, DE Cafe Zapata

1/20 Hamburg, DE Knust

1/21 Leipzig, DE Nato

1/22 Heilbronn, DE Red River Saloon

1/23 Eppstein, DE Wunderbar Weite Welt

1/24 Geislingen/Steige, DE Rätsche

1/25 Zürich, CH El Lokal

1/27 Amsterdam, NL Paradiso

1/28 Den Haag, NL Paard van Troje

1/29 Den Bosch, NL W2

1/30 Diksmuide, BE Club 4AD

1/31 Bristol, UK Polish Club

2/01 Glasgow, UK Oran Mor (Celtic Connections Festival)

2/02 Belfast, UK Errigle Inn

2/03 Dublin, IE Whelan's

2/04 Leeds, UK Brudenell Social Club

2/05 Newcastle, UK The Cluny

2/06 Nottingham, UK The Maze

2/07 London, UK Luminaire

2/08 London, UK Luminaire

hi Gazza; that's pretty interesting, didn't know abou that. i caught McMurty on a recently aired 'austin city limits' on Public Broadcasting channel. he was just playing with a drummer and a bass player. i had never seen him before, but only heard a cut or two...quite impressive...really unique personality and very inspiring intelligent writing full of grit and wonder in the imagery...
most imporessed. and...it rocked...it was music to move with most certainly.

it must be that austin connection Mac has so deeply down there (where he has lived for years, yes?) because I would NEVER have imagined them playing together, but now that I think of it, this would make very very exciting music. wonder if they;re making the rounds in the states...hmmmmm
McMurty's the real McCoy imo. i must be the last to know. instant fan after i that ACL show aired.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 05:40

Don't know about dates but I do know this: just played the little room at the Paradiso. As well as several other place in Holland. Germany for the next two days, back to Holland, then to Norway, then back to Holland, then back home to the US. All without going to rehab or any thing else.

Posted by: DaisyGrace ()
Date: November 27, 2008 05:49

I think James McMurtry is Larry McMurtry's son - their roots in Texas are deep.

And yes, Mac lives in Austin, and has for many years. He is an integral part of the music scene there, and is much sought after and respected.

Skipstone, who just played the little room at the Paradiso, in Holland, Germany, etc., etc. without rehab? Ronnie? The Faces? Mac? (Not that Mac needs rehab - he has that under control!)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 06:03

Sorry. Ha ha. I did. WITHOUT rehab.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 27, 2008 15:55

Hello,

I read the following post on another site this morning-an unreal final sentence!

"...About three months ago I was contacted by Kenny J's 'manager' who said Kenny wanted to write his autobiography and could I offer him some advice. He asked various questions about books and the book business which I answered, telling him certain things which he perhaps might not have wanted to hear - ie I didn't bullshit him. I offered to meet with Kenny (whom I have, of course, met plenty of times over the years and who happens to live near me now) and he said he'd get back but he never did.

(I suspect the reason for this was that I stressed that in order for the book to be any good, and therefore sell, Kenny would have to tell the truth about his feelings for all the musicians he's worked with, especially Rod, both Ronnies, Mac, Marriott, the Who, everyone really, and if he just said everyone was 'great' and 'fabulous' and the book was a bland out as a result no-one would buy. Kenny has always been, er, something of a diplomat, so you can see why this might cause a problem...)

The manager mentioned that Kenny wanted his book out in time for a Faces reunion tour which was planned for the autumn of 2009, and another of the things I said which he probably didn't want to hear was that he'd better a get a move on then as the book business is notoriously slow at turning projects around.

Anyway, I asked who would play bass and he wasn't sure. Not Tetsu, who is evidently in no state of health to undertake such a commission. Not Bill Wyman, who doesn't like travelling/flying and would therefore do only UK gigs. I suggested Rick Wills who lives in the same village as Kenny and played in that Small Faces reunion and seemed the obvious choice. The manager agreed and that was it.

Now get this... I mentioned all this to someone I know a couple of months later who told me that he'd been told that Kenny had suggested none other than Sting for the bass slot."

Yowza!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 27, 2008 20:19

Edith Grove
The "official" Faces website (as described by Google), [www.the-faces.com], has nothing on this, so I ask again, has a site been set up for this reunion, or are these various news reports all we have so far?

I sent an email to Dave at the-faces.com and he said he is going to start giving reports, songs rehearsed, etc. He is in touch with Mac and Kenney, but not so much Woody.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 1, 2008 03:44

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home