Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 16 of 21
Re: OT: Barack Obama elected president of the USA
Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: November 7, 2008 06:04

It's sort of melancholy for me to see the idealism of youth. Reminds me how I felt when I was in my late teens and early twenties. At that age you still think everything's gonna be nirvana if only your guy would win. But then you grow and you learn. And you learn that all politics is sleazy (even your own guy) because it's about money pure and simple....and money gets sleazy, no way around it.

I voted McCain, he's whom I strongly preferred....but I have but one President...and it's President Obama. I wish him all of the success and all of the luck in the world. Even though I'm a staunch Republican, I hope Obama lasts 8 years because that would most likely indicate that he is succeeding. It's my family, my country, my future, my investments that are at stake, why wouldn't I hope for overwhelming success?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 7, 2008 06:12

GOOD ON YOU! I respect that very much.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: November 7, 2008 06:45

Up here in Canada we are almost all (90% according to polls) happy to see Obama elected.

I can't remember when I have ever seen so many people truly excited about a new USA President. It's sure been a hard, hard winter, but Americans can now begin to regain the respect of the rest of the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 07:12 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 7, 2008 07:12

>Americans can now begin to regain the respect of the rest of the world.

It was as if the planet breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 7, 2008 07:13

souldoggie
It's sort of melancholy for me to see the idealism of youth. Reminds me how I felt when I was in my late teens and early twenties. At that age you still think everything's gonna be nirvana if only your guy would win. But then you grow and you learn. And you learn that all politics is sleazy (even your own guy) because it's about money pure and simple....and money gets sleazy, no way around it.

I voted McCain, he's whom I strongly preferred....but I have but one President...and it's President Obama. I wish him all of the success and all of the luck in the world. Even though I'm a staunch Republican, I hope Obama lasts 8 years because that would most likely indicate that he is succeeding. It's my family, my country, my future, my investments that are at stake, why wouldn't I hope for overwhelming success?

Well spoken Souldoggie. Your response is in the spirit of McCain's speech on Tuesday and is what is needed by all of us if we are to get through the mess we are in. We may not always agree on politics but country must, or should, come before Party affiliation. Rock on man!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 7, 2008 07:49

souldoggie

I think you must've been democrat in your youth? Or maybe green party? Nirvana sounds like a warm gentle party. I've kept the same ideals that I developed 20 years ago in college - there's no sense in changing your mind and ideals just because the politicians disappoint you.

I can't say I was excited about most of the democratic candidates (gore excluded) until now. I know it won't be nirvana but I am hoping his presidency will keep people mobilized and involved so we can have a real democracy, with audience participation!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: November 7, 2008 07:53

souldoggie

Nice post.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2008 09:08

Bloody hell that Berlusconi is idiot. Something wrong with Italians to vote time after time a corrupted racist like that into office.

(Just to give a more international flavor into thread...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 10:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: November 7, 2008 12:56

That those outside of the US LOVE Obama is proof he is the WORST thing to EVER happen to this country. If "they" like him, that means they feel his going to suck up to them, and give them ANYTHING THEY WANT from us !

These anti-US ingrates, that we helped free of totalitarianism, and prop up, ever since the World Wars in the last millenium, will always HATE the USA, and it's largess that they can only HOPE to ever attain.

But they will always be "second rate" and Third World Countries, compared to the USA ! Already they are lining up with their hands out, wanting something ! Make no mistake they will take it, but will always want MORE !

Bush had these US Haters figured out and under his thumb, where they belong.

Now Obama will now "sell" the US "down the river", and be sucking up to these Third Rate World Countries, who will NEVER surpass what we have here.

We all though Clinton was bad, and now this one will even go lower than him into selling our country's interest for the popularity he will get from them !

Already, Iran is lining up for the giveaway !

God Bless our Country, that we will survive and endur this sellout !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 13:06 by stonesmusicfan.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 7, 2008 13:18

Peace in our time...
you are the reason your boy lost. Xenophobic. THe right wing fringe. LIsten to Rush he will help you through your grieving.

Date: November 7, 2008 13:34

stonesmusicfan
That those outside of the US LOVE Obama is proof he is the WORST thing to EVER happen to this country. If "they" like him, that means they feel his going to suck up to them, and give them ANYTHING THEY WANT from us !

These anti-US ingrates, that we helped free of totalitarianism, and prop up, ever since the World Wars in the last millenium, will always HATE the USA, and it's largess that they can only HOPE to ever attain.

But they will always be "second rate" and Third World Countries, compared to the USA ! Already they are lining up with their hands out, wanting something ! Make no mistake they will take it, but will always want MORE !

Now Obama will now "sell" the US "down the river", and be sucking up to these Third Rate World Countries, who will NEVER surpass what we have here.

We all though Clinton was bad, and now this one will even go lower than him into selling our country's interest for the popularity he will get from them !

Unbelievable...eye popping smiley

Despite fanatics like this one, the rest of the world considers USA a civilized country.

- Doxa

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: November 7, 2008 14:03

Doxa
Bloody hell that Berlusconi is idiot. Something wrong with Italians to vote time after time a corrupted racist like that into office.

(Just to give a more international flavor into thread...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

didn't wanna get involved into thuis thread, cause imo there's not much sense in discussing politics, just one nice little episode relating to this video:

When berlusconi held his first speech before the european parliament in 2001, german chancellor gerhard schroeder allegedly put his headphones down, assuming that the interpretor translating his (berlusconis) words was drunk. he couldn't belive that someone would talk such bollocks until then-french president chirac would tell him, that all of which was translated was indeed what berlusconi was saying.

so much for him...

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 7, 2008 14:16

A wonderful, historic and truly great time for democracy.

...though I hope we shall all live to see the day when an owl finally becomes president.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 7, 2008 14:20

The only thing that matters is results. Early clues should emerge in cabinet selections. Partisan politics will always prevail. That is what keeps the two party system alive.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 7, 2008 14:21

Barn Owl
A wonderful, historic and truly great time for democracy.

...though I hope we shall all live to see the day when an owl finally becomes president.

Really don´t know why Angie´s coming into my mind grinning smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:05

Obama will be a return to civility, and I will never again ( hopefully) CRINGE when the president of the United States speaks to the nation or addresses a foreign dignitary. ! I will never be embarrassed again by my country as I have been over the past 8 years. I live in New England and the last 2 days have been pure magic here. People are smiling again, even though the economy is almost dead! People in the shops and at work are floating, and to think that this is just the beginning! In one fell swoop, Obama has transformed the psyches of ordinary people. May the magic continue!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:09

"Bloody hell that Berlusconi is idiot. Something wrong with Italians to vote time after time a corrupted racist like that into office."

Did he really say "even tanned?"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:14

For those who can read Dutch, apparently Obama has some Frysian roots:

[www.volkskrantblog.nl] thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:18

Barn Owl

"....I may not get there with ya....."

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:21

This is truly amazing ... how come this thread has survived thus far ? Where's big bad BV and his DEL finger ? Must be out walkin' the mutt, boy it's a long walk !!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:29

bv okayed this thread. Check page 8

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:32

stonesmusicfan

dude, you're funny!

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:35

Funny ?

Oh well, thanks !

ANYONE ELSE out there feel like me ? I'm sure there is, but I just got TIRED listening to all of this simpering, blind, fawning and sucking up to the popular feeling here he is going to SAVE the World !

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: November 7, 2008 15:56

I'm with you. We are doomed

Date: November 7, 2008 16:07

paulywaul
This is truly amazing ... how come this thread has survived thus far ? Where's big bad BV and his DEL finger ? Must be out walkin' the mutt, boy it's a long walk !!

I see the wise decision of BV this way: this thread was created to celebrate the election of the new president of the USA which seemed to have not just a huge American but international effect as well. People feel like wittnessing a historical event in many sense of the word. But there are some people who see it in very subjective terms, because the 'wrong' candidate won the game. For them this thread is like a red flag in the eyes of Spanish bull. They hate people celebrating the wrong cause, so what serves best their interests is to see this thread to be closed down. So they ask is explicitly, or try to spoil the party other way.

What makes BV's decision wise is that he refuses to give up to these forces. It would be like giving up the ideals of freedom and the pillars of open democracy if some aggressive or cruel persuasion is used against it. So sad that the basic virtuers and principles of democratic system - the ideals that America is so proud of - are thrown away so quickly. The election is over, and the votes have been counted. That's what democracy is all about - one should respect the will of the majority. That's the point of great speech by McCain, and also some of the conservative voters here in this thread. Against this act of class it is so strange to read the reactions of some "patriotics" here. They are willing to throw the most important ideals of their nation away if the result of the election does not suit to one's idiosyncratic, personal opinions or wills. It is very sad to see these pathetic profets of doom to whine here aloud. C'mon, show some bigger humanity in a moment like this, and let the people celebrate who feel that way.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 16:19 by Doxa.

Date: November 7, 2008 16:07

stonesmusicfan
Funny ?

Oh well, thanks !

ANYONE ELSE out there feel like me ? I'm sure there is, but I just got TIRED listening to all of this simpering, blind, fawning and sucking up to the popular feeling here he is going to SAVE the World !

it's just so weird that despite all the obvious facts that 8 years of bush was nothig but a big disasaster based on lies and incompetence you obviously still believe that this was the right way...! it is proofed the the poor got poorer and the rich got richer. we have to wars without any direction. 50 millions without proper health insurance. a president who was denying global warming! a ruined economy. the worldwide reputation of the USA has never been that bad. and you still believe in that highway to hell?
and lets not forget the symbolic meaning of that election!!! it brings so much hope!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 7, 2008 16:08

Brothers and sisters, why are we fighting? Who's fighting and what for?

This is getting so boring! C'mon guys, Let's all chill a bit. Put on Exile, Let It Bleed, whatever. Pour yourself a nice JD and relax. Remember this is a Rolling Stones site not a political soapbox. We're all here to enjoy the music of the Stones, whatever our political persuasion. As such we should all be friends and be here to share and chat about the great music of our favourite band.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: November 7, 2008 16:19

God forbid someone disagrees with you folks. I thought that was what the USA was built on. I will try to speak more SLOWLY -- there are MANY MANY people in the USA who think this is a disaster, myself included. Get used to it.

Date: November 7, 2008 16:20

Silver Dagger
Brothers and sisters, why are we fighting? Who's fighting and what for?

This is getting so boring! C'mon guys, Let's all chill a bit. Put on Exile, Let It Bleed, whatever. Pour yourself a nice JD and relax. Remember this is a Rolling Stones site not a political soapbox. We're all here to enjoy the music of the Stones, whatever our political persuasion. As such we should all be friends and be here to share and chat about the great music of our favourite band.

never trust a @#$%& hippie! ;-)
of course you're right....

Date: November 7, 2008 16:27

aslecs
God forbid someone disagrees with you folks. I thought that was what the USA was built on. I will try to speak more SLOWLY -- there are MANY MANY people in the USA who think this is a disaster, myself included. Get used to it.

So you don't agree with the fact that Obama is elected in a free election to the next president of the United States of America by the people of USA? F..k the democracy, right? grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 16 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home