Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 19 of 21
Re: OT: Barack Obama elected president of the USA
Date: November 7, 2008 21:13

VoodooLounge13
...I cannot agree with them (I, like Palin, am anti-abortion, but NOT anti-abortion rights). I think it's murder to kill a fetus and the kinds of abortions that Obama wants to allow are downright heinous, but if women want to have that option then they can live with it on their conscious.
...One cannot even say a criticism without it being labeled as a fin racist comment. To me that is BS.

Regarding the "heinous abortions" President-elect Obama wanted to "allow":

From the 3rd debate:

There was a bill that was put forward before the Illinois Senate that said you have to provide lifesaving treatment and that would have helped to undermine Roe v. Wade. The fact is that there was already a law on the books in Illinois that required providing lifesaving treatment, which is why not only myself but pro-choice Republicans and Democrats voted against it.

And the Illinois Medical Society, the organization of doctors in Illinois, voted against it. Their Hippocratic Oath would have required them to provide care, and there was already a law in the books.

With respect to partial-birth abortion, I am completely supportive of a ban on late-term abortions, partial-birth or otherwise, as long as there's an exception for the mother's health and life, and this did not contain that exception.

And I attempted, as many have in the past, of including that so that it is constitutional. And that was rejected, and that's why I voted present, because I'm willing to support a ban on late-term abortions as long as we have that exception.

He was thinking as a lawyer who understands the value of semantics, and he was supporting a woman's right to choose abortion for health reasons (health reasons Senator McCain disgustingly mocked in the 3rd debate).

[elections.nytimes.com]

God doesn't equate abortion with murder (and this one really isn't open to interpretation) - in Exodus, chapter 21, God clearly states that if a man smiteth his father or mother, kills another man by guile, curseth his father or mother, or engages in slavery (among other things), he shall be put to death. However, "If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, 24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe." - in other words, murder for murder. However, if men cause a woman to abort through violence, God does not proscribe that they be put to death - God says they shall be punished (if I'm reading this right, they are to be punished as the husband sees fit), unless "mischief" (murder of the woman?) follows the violence-induced abortion (her fruit departing from her) - in which case, they are to be killed (a life for a life). Clearly, God doesn't think abortion is murder.

I agree it is your right to feel this way (that abortion is murder - even though Judeo-Christian God doesn't), and I'd never support any legislator that wanted to take this right away from you, even though it is not in line with my own beliefs.

You should know that if it is a matter of faith for you, and not simply a legal matter, I think The Bible also says there is no soul until "the quickening" (40 days after conception?) - though I may be mis-remembering. Without a soul, you're dealing with a blade of grass, a living thing without a soul. Interestingly, according to some interpretations, The Bible actually supports abortion if a husband believes his wife has been unfaithful - which is not surprising since most Judeo-Christian beliefs are incredibly biased against women and deny them most rights (Book of Numbers, chapter 5 refers to a "water of bitterness" given to the unfaithful wife by a priest to cause her to abort - the water [and the curse that accompanies it] is not supposed to work if she has been faithful, and she shall be allowed to bear the child - this is what God tells Moses).* Only the Vatican (which, not to be insulting, is presided over by unmarried, childless, old men in dresses) has called abortion murder, not God.

In short, although I respect your right to feel the way you do, I must respectfully disagree with you, as I personally find your reasons wanting. The beauty of choice and freedom is, you don't need to "prove" your reasoning to me, you can simply live according to your own feelings and let your conscience be your guide. I think every citizen, male or female, has this right, and is only responsible for acting in their own lives according to their own personal beliefs - and keeping those beliefs the hell off of every other citizen.

*This interpretation is open to debate - depending upon the translation from Hebrew - the "bitter water" may only render an unfaithful wife unable to conceive a child. The "bitter water"/priestly curse combo certainly would have been given to a pregnant wife whose husband suspected she had conceived the child out of wedlock though, and I would think (though I can't claim to be an expert on Biblical medical practices), if "bitter water" rendered a woman unable to conceive a child, it would also cause a pregnant woman to abort. At the very least, God seems to be recommending chemical sterilization of unfaithful wives.

...as far as the racist comment - if you feel that a man should be denied the opportunity to be President because of this religious beliefs (ie because he is Muslim - which, by the way, he is not), you are a bigot (racist may not be the right word).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 21:20 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Date: November 7, 2008 21:17

Man the idiocy of some of the posters here is beyond belief but having said that...

You guys still want to talk about Ayers and muslims and birth certificates??? I thought the country did that for the last few months... and guess what? THEY SAW THROUGH THE BULLSHIT AND SMEARS and voted for him...

So if you guys want to keep talking about made up shit thats gotten you nowhere go for it.. but I think you should all move on..

Honestly some of you just seem very very bitter and kind of sore losers.... I mean Gore had the presidency stolen from him and we had to move on. .in this case McCain ran a terrible campaign and got his ass handed to him and you still want to complain?

I mean thats why McCain lost.. cause he and his supporters spent all their time trying to smear Obama and talk bullshit instead of presenting a message for the country.. McCain's campaign slogan: "VOTE FOR ME CAUSE THE OTHER GUY IS SCARY!" well that didn't cut it....but if you want to keep barking up that tree.......

Date: November 7, 2008 21:18

HelterSkelter
GHOST, notice something about OBAMA'S birthday? 8/4/1961 ? OK, take the 8 then subtract the 4 to get 4. Then take the 1 from 1961 and add it to the 4. that equals 5, then add the other 1 from 1961. 4+1+1 = 6, right? Now flip the 9 in 1961 and you get? 6, see where I'm going here? now the third number is a 6 so what have we got here? Why, I think we have the number 666 which means what? Is OBAMA the anti-christ? You tell me, something smells very fishy here... I ain't pointin' fingers but, it's pretty spooky IMHO....

Holy crow! That's terrifying! We must fetch a priest immediately!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:25

Obama is holding a PC in 5 minutes.

Can be viewed here [www.svt.se]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 21:26 by Baboon Bro.

Date: November 7, 2008 21:26

Baboon Bro

Thanks, BB - I almost forgot! Gotta call the wife to set the DVR!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:29

Ghost, as I indicated prior, it wasn't just his religious beliefs, it was all of the other variables, which you do do a phenomenal job of discrediting, allbeit not enough for me to change my mind, but we can at least agree to disagree.

Listen I hope to hell I'm wrong on all of it. I want to watch my kids grow up, go to college, get married and have kids. I just don't believe that's going to happen.

I don't question anyone's religious beliefs unless maybe they are catholic after all that befell the young boys in that church - how there wasn't more of an investigation into the entire organization I'll never know. It still operates largely unchecked, and mostly out of touch with reality - no offense to any one here who attends...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:29

Baboon Bro

that's easy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:30

VoodooLounge13
While I will never deny what a great accomplishment it is for this country, I will always come back to the disbelief that we voted in someone with a muslim background, in the wake of 9/11 and 2 wars against muslim countries. Do we, as americans, feel so damn guilty at what we've been doing to these countries all these years that we needed to prove just how much against it we are by electing one to office??!!

And I'm still appalled by the fact that this "great" country could only come up with these two numb-skulls as our choices. I'm sorry, but looking back at all of the truly great and remarkable presidents we've had, I begin to think that our best years are already well behind us here in America.

obama is not muslim ... and wtf cares if he is anyway... i dont think anyone who voted for him did it out of guilt about 911 thats just ridiculous... i am so sick of the fearmongers and haters...

i think it is just FANTASTIC that we elected him and i think you are wrong about our best years being behind us... i dont think President Obama is going to be able to fix everything wrong with this country and this world but this is absolutely a step in the right direction... and finally after 8 years of Dubya we are respected again around the world

we made the right choice

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:32

Damn GHOST, you know your sh*t !! Hats off to you !! (BTW, Priest is on his way, he was taking a nap after a big lunch and some wine - problem solved)

Wonder if Voodoolounge13 also cares about THE MURDER of all the innocent Iraqi's ... you know, "Collateral Damage" and such from all that sloppy "shock and awe" missile hits and stuff as we "Liberate them".... just a silly thought.....

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:35

LOL open-g

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 7, 2008 21:40

HelterSkelter
Beast
>>Palestinians (a known terrorist organization)<<

Hellooo - since when are Palestinians an organization??!!

Oh no Beast, now look what you've done... you're gonna go and confuse the kids with correct information and proper facts. This is really gonna mess up their minds since that's a foreign concept in their world of goofy propaganda and lunatic radio talk show hosts .... I'm crestfallen..... Kids, kids, kids, please don't listen, stay in your alternative universe bubble, it's much more fun for us know nothing zombie's back here on Planet Earth....

GHOST, notice something about OBAMA'S birthday? 8/4/1961 ? OK, take the 8 then subtract the 4 to get 4. Then take the 1 from 1961 and add it to the 4. that equals 5, then add the other 1 from 1961. 4+1+1 = 6, right? Now flip the 9 in 1961 and you get? 6, see where I'm going here? now the third number is a 6 so what have we got here? Why, I think we have the number 666 which means what? Is OBAMA the anti-christ? You tell me, something smells very fishy here... I ain't pointin' fingers but, it's pretty spooky IMHO....

Ahhhhhhhh, Helter, Helter, Helter........I'm amazed it took you this to mock me. Lord knows how much we love each other LMFAO. Where have ya been my friend?! Quite frankly I've found this whole debate to be somewhat boring without you here to slice me to shreds at every opportunity. It's quite obvious you and I sit on polar ends of the equation.....

Date: November 7, 2008 21:46

Um, Helter, perhaps if ya read thru the whole 19 pages, you would have found my comments about the killings of innocent civilians and soldiers alike - we have no fin business over there!

Date: November 7, 2008 21:49

VoodooLounge13
Listen I hope to hell I'm wrong on all of it. I want to watch my kids grow up, go to college, get married and have kids. I just don't believe that's going to happen.

We can certainly agree on that, brother. It is going to take every single American (citizen and representative alike) working together to pull ourselves out of the muck we're in as a nation. It's some of the more zealous and under-informed Obama suppporters who think he's going to snap his fingers and make everything OK. I (I guess, unfortunately), am more pragmatic and know there is no quick fix. Declarations like this certainly give me reason to take heart, though:

"To those who would tear the world down: We will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security: We support you. And to all those who have wondered if America's beacon still burns as bright: Tonight, we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope."
-- Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

I believe in the man - not as a deity, but as a good man and a good American; and a man who is willing and able to understand the problems we face as a nation and a planet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 21:50 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 7, 2008 21:55

Barack is still holdin' his pc..... smiling smiley [www.svt.se]

Date: November 7, 2008 22:11

OMG, his Press Conference is BRILLIANT !!! BRAINS ARE BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE !!! The guy is Super Smart, handles himself and the press like a total pro, and Speaks better than anyone since JFK - THANK YOU GOD !!! We have a brilliant leader again !!! (jumping up and down) Serious, Intelligent, Working at super sonic speed.... America and the world has been spared !!! It feels SO GOOD to know this guy - OBAMA - is on top of it all, no marble mouth stuttering thoughts floating off...

I'm so happy that you know what - VL13, all is forgiven, you're OK my man.....

Date: November 7, 2008 22:18

HelterSkelter
OMG, his Press Conference is BRILLIANT !!! BRAINS ARE BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE !!! The guy is Super Smart, handles himself and the press like a total pro, and Speaks better than anyone since JFK - THANK YOU GOD !!! We have a brilliant leader again !!! (jumping up and down) Serious, Intelligent, Working at super sonic speed.... America and the world has been spared !!! It feels SO GOOD to know this guy - OBAMA - is on top of it all, no marble mouth stuttering thoughts floating off...

I'm so happy that you know what - VL13, all is forgiven, you're OK my man.....

I agree.I just listened to it on Cspan radio.... what a relief to have a serious articulate person in charge.. I had forgotten what that was like...He really couldn't have handled it any better... If I was really really nitpicky I would have said can the Nancy Reagan seance joke...

Date: November 7, 2008 22:20

LOL why thank you Helter.......so what the heck is the press conference all about?? I'm still stuck at work for another 41 minutes....

Date: November 7, 2008 22:26

Economic crisis, he's got his A1 team behind him.... If this Man can't fix it I don't know who can - I think he wants to go down as a great leader, He's HUNGRY to succeed - Fine with me, GO FOR IT BARACK !!! I don't see a lot of down time at Camp David with this dude, he's gonna work.... Maybe my expectations are too high but so far, so good !!!.... DAMN, lookin' good !!!

Date: November 7, 2008 22:36

GOTTA LOVE YOU TUBE - HERE IT IS FROM JUST MINUTES AGO

Date: November 7, 2008 22:46

HelterSkelter
...I think he wants to go down as a great leader, He's HUNGRY to succeed...

That's it in a nutshell. It's not that he's automatically going to succeed, but the fact that he's going to try his damndest, that makes me (and a lot of other Americans) believe in the man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 23:14 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: IgotDbluez ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:01

Here, here!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:04

More ideas in 6 short minutes than Bush has managed in 6 years!

Concise, articulate, confident, smart.

What a difference......

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:04

This post has really brought out the nasty extremists and nut cases. First it was the crude insults by some posting over and over again. But once the bible quotes started I knew it had really entered the realm of the deluded and scary.

Are these people really Rolling Stones fans? No wonder BV normally bans political discussions; they seem to always end up this way.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:05

HelterSkelter
GOTTA LOVE YOU TUBE - HERE IT IS FROM JUST MINUTES AGO

Jennifer Granholm included in a "stimulus package" discussion?

I feel like Obama is already working on my behalf.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:12

Belated congratulations to Barack Obama. The beauty of his victory is that it was as clean as it was emphatic and miraculous - no recounts, no Supreme Court decisions.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:15

Just watched Barak's first press conference. THANK GOD WE NOW HAVE A PRESIDENT WITH A BRAIN!. Remember what Bush said when he got elected? " See what a C student can do?" .....yeah drive the USA right down the toilet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 23:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: November 7, 2008 23:16

Angus MacBagpipe
... once the bible quotes started I knew it had really entered the realm of the deluded and scary.

Are you talking about me?

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:23

More Hot Rocks
Just watched Barak's first press conference. THANK GOD WE NOW HAVE A PRESIDENT WITH A BRAIN!. Remember what Bush said when he got elected? " See what a C student can do?" .....yeah drive the USA right down the toilet!

That is a pretty unfair accusation. He is the most diplomated President of the US (except Obama). He did Yale School !!!

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:26

No, Ghost, not you. It was the "antichrist" references by others that got me worried.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 7, 2008 23:26

So why does he articulate like a 6th grader? he did get a c in school also. That's the truth. maybe becasue his rich daddy had some one else take the test for him?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-07 23:27 by More Hot Rocks.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 19 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1408
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home