Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: O.T- The Who announce 2 London Club Shows
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 15, 2008 03:02

whitem8
Beast give it up! What was the set list, how were they? How was Roger's voice??

There are gigs and gigs ... and then there's the Who at the Indigo2. F*** me, what a show !! They were superb. If you're wavering, don't. Get a ticket, go see them tomorrow and/or Wednesday.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 15, 2008 05:43

I CAN'T! I am in Jakarta:-( But please can you describe what you wittnesed? The set list and your feelings and impressions of the show. Would be great to read.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 15, 2008 08:16

So glad you got to go! Waiting for more. Sounds like a great venue, Beast!

Date: December 15, 2008 11:36

What an extraordinarily great show. we were upstairs, but here are a couple of pictures....

Looking forward to tonight....WHOOOOOO ARE YOU?!

Date: December 15, 2008 11:56

Beast, Manofwealthandtaste, SonicDreamer, folks are asking for the setlist. Here's what I can remember

Not in order of delivery .............

I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Baba O Riley
Behind Blue Eyes
My Generation
5:15
Who Are You
Sister Disco
Won't Get Fooled Again
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me

Can't recall anything else ... t'was too exciting. Can't WAIT for tonight.

Why o why o why can't the Stones play this place ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-15 12:13 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 15, 2008 12:05

Thanks for the pix, MOWAT. The security was being unnecessarily heavy-handed with people down at the front who were taking pictures - threatening in no uncertain terms to confiscate their cameras etc.

Re-setlist, others can fill in the gaps but off the top of my head: I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Baba O'Riley, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, 5.15, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, See Me Feel Me. The whole band was tight, Pete was in top windmilling form, Roger was in strong voice and Zak was doing his usual solid and energetic drumming. Great to see them in such an "intimate" venue, as they say. Looking forward to more of the same tonight and Wednesday,

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 15, 2008 12:51

Yes, great show, in a really fantastic venue!

Strangely enough, I hadn't really been in the mood for a gig of any kind up until the actual moment that Pete and Roger came on stage. Then within seconds of plugging in, I was reminded once again that these guys still have the power to take you off to rock and roll heaven with nearly two hours of some of the greatest music ever made on this planet.

In a fan club setting, that Pete acknowledged towards the very end of the set, he and Roger seemed more relaxed than I've seen them before, trading jokes and insults at each other, (and with certain people in the crowd!), as well as generally taking the piss out of themselves.

There were a few surprises for the die-hards; Eminence Front, Sister Disco and Tattoo were each very well received (particularly the latter), and it was good to see that the band were brave enough to perform a couple of songs from their last album.

Perhaps some of the more anthemic numbers (Tommy in particular) are not really cut out for such an intimate setting (as the Indigo can seem like), but it would be grossly unfair to criticise anything about this gig, taking into account the laid-back, relaxed atmosphere of the band and the actual intentions of the performance. This was more a time for celebration and relaxation, though on a more solemn note you cannot help but wonder as to who on earth, will ever be able to walk in the shoes of these giants a few years from now.

Sorry I didn't have time to make the Pilot Inn last night, but I'll see Pauly and the rest of the crew next time I'm in London, and more than make up for it!

No doubts about that!

Date: December 15, 2008 13:06

Great review, Logie - some bands are criticised for not interacting with the crowd enough, last night was the opposite! Pete couldn't stop talking between songs "I can play the whole of Tommy by myself if you want.....in fact I can play all 437 published Who tracks if you like, it may take about 14 weeks though!". Classic stuff and wonderful to see them in such relaxed form. They seem to get better each time I see them.

Date: December 15, 2008 13:44

LOGIE
Yes, great show, in a really fantastic venue!

Strangely enough, I hadn't really been in the mood for a gig of any kind up until the actual moment that Pete and Roger came on stage. Then within seconds of plugging in, I was reminded once again that these guys still have the power to take you off to rock and roll heaven with nearly two hours of some of the greatest music ever made on this planet.

In a fan club setting, that Pete acknowledged towards the very end of the set, he and Roger seemed more relaxed than I've seen them before, trading jokes and insults at each other, (and with certain people in the crowd!), as well as generally taking the piss out of themselves.

There were a few surprises for the die-hards; Eminence Front, Sister Disco and Tattoo were each very well received (particularly the latter), and it was good to see that the band were brave enough to perform a couple of songs from their last album.

Perhaps some of the more anthemic numbers (Tommy in particular) are not really cut out for such an intimate setting (as the Indigo can seem like), but it would be grossly unfair to criticise anything about this gig, taking into account the laid-back, relaxed atmosphere of the band and the actual intentions of the performance. This was more a time for celebration and relaxation, though on a more solemn note you cannot help but wonder as to who on earth, will ever be able to walk in the shoes of these giants a few years from now.

Sorry I didn't have time to make the Pilot Inn last night, but I'll see Pauly and the rest of the crew next time I'm in London, and more than make up for it!

No doubts about that!

<<< though on a more solemn note you cannot help but wonder as to who on earth, will ever be able to walk in the shoes of these giants a few years from now. >>>

I often have the very same thought, and what a sobering one it is too. Gulp !!

Date: December 15, 2008 13:44

THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUY! Great to read the reviews and fantastic pictures! Wow, sounds like a really special night, and so glad they came off good. So Roger's voice was good? How were their harmonies on Tattoo? Can't believe they did that, would have been incredible to see in such a small venue. Whew you boys are really lucky!!!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 15, 2008 14:25

Hello,

4700 miles later and wouldn't you know it-the last 10 where an absolute nightmare...points failures...engineering works...line closures...but all that is almost forgotten-it's show time!

You just knew that pantomime season is upon us when PT stalked onstage flipping the 2500-strong crowd the bird before breaking into a massive grin:this show was full of good-natured and foul-mouthed humour right from the off.

This was a very,very relaxed band at work (playtime,more like) with gaps between the songs as jokes were told,correctly capoed guitars were sought,audience members heckled-back at and fun was the upshot.
For instance,when one wag shouted out for 'Bellboy',PT remarked jokingly that that might prove tricky,as much as he'd like to be able to bring back Keith Moon.Then he asked the bloke if he'd like to hear 'My Wife' while we were at it ("...you sick bastard,hah-hah-hah!").
PT let the shouts die-down (ranging from 'Magic Bus' to 'Dancing Queen') and archly remarked that "...you should know that requests don't sit well with me.I've got a tablet of stone down here with the set-list on it.Actually there may be a surprise or two on it!".You could guess what the songs where gonna be though.

Rog was in great form too both in humour and vocally (this is the best we'll hear him being as this was the first of a hat-trick of shows),taking the rise out of his own advancing years too with regards to hearing loss and using in-ear monitors which he hates ("...they use them on the X-Factor...dunno how...they're pointless when you're deaf anyway!").
At one point between tunes he kicked one his stage monitors and said that he couldn't hear PT's vocals:
"Pete...hello Pete...are you in there?Where's he gone?" which then led to PT wondering if they should have done the soundcheck before the show instead of during it.
"Novel idea-let's do the soundcheck during the show-at least the very last song will sound great!Nah,who does soundchecks for @#$%&'s sake?Only Coldplay (who were busy playing to 15000 more punters next door,and Pete then played an unwelcome snatch of 'Yellow') and Paul Simon!"
Careful Big Nose-nobody disses The Simon.
Both Rog and PT agreed that the sound snafus were all Bob Pridden's fault.No change there.

The highlights for me were 'Tattoo' and genuinely moving,as in rocking,'Naked Eye',fully plugged-in and amped-up.A @#$%& great song for me.Powerful again was the 'Cry If You Want' coda after 'My Generation' with PT riffing on "Brave Men,stupid war."
These are the moments that PT still looses himself despite the starch-like set-lists and when he goes to that other place he leads the band and the result is still a privilege to hear and feel.This band can still thrill you and still move you.

It was great to meet The Landlady (prior to her proposal er,insistence of marriage to Zak) and Terry from Who's Who and chatting with a few other lifers that I recognised from shows past.
As Keith might have declared,
"Splendid!"

These are the shittest photos that anyone has ever dared to post,but thay'll have to do.

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-15 16:30 by SimonN.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 15, 2008 14:28

whitem8
THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUY! Great to read the reviews and fantastic pictures! Wow, sounds like a really special night, and so glad they came off good. So Roger's voice was good? How were their harmonies on Tattoo? Can't believe they did that, would have been incredible to see in such a small venue. Whew you boys are really lucky!!!

I was there. Great gig. Tattoo was a welcome surprise - Roger made a quip about "not sounding like a choirboy anymore". Sure, their voices are older and ragged about the edges, but it was great. Loved the My Generation/Cry if You Want/Naked Eye medley that closed the main set. Thought Tea & Theatre was very very affecting, the two of them singing about physical twilight, while all around them people were babbling. It reminded me a lot of a scene in Let;'s Get Lost, where Chet Baker is singing Almost Blue in Cannes, and struggling to make himself heard over the crowd.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 15, 2008 14:34

Was there a warm up band and anyone remember what time the Who came on??? What time do the doors open and the fans get to the front??? Can't wait until wednesday when I will be there.Sounds like a great,great gig on the first night.My mate who I am meeting up there cannot get there until after me so would like to know a few details if anyone can help.

Date: December 15, 2008 14:55

SimonN
Hello,

4700 miles later and wouldn't you know it-the last 10 where an absolute nightmare...points failures...engineering works...line closures...but all that is almost forgotten-it's show time!

You just knew that pantomime season is upon us when PT stalked onstage flipping the 2500-strong crowd the bird before breaking into a massive grin:this show was full of good-natured and foul-mouthed humour right from the off.

This was a very,very relaxed band at work (playtime,more like) with gaps between the songs as jokes were told,correctly capoed guitars were sought,audience members heckled-back at and fun was the upshot.
For instance,when one wag shouted out for 'Bellboy',PT remarked jokingly that that might prove tricky,as much as he'd like to be able to bring back Keith Moon.Then he asked the bloke if he'd like to hear 'My Wife' while we were at it ("...you sick bastard,hah-hah-hah!").
PT let the shouts die-down (ranging from 'Magic Bus' to 'Dancing Queen') and archly remarked that "...you should know that requests don't sit well with me.I've got a tablet of stone down here with the set-list on it.Actually there may be a surprise or two on it!".You could guess what the songs where gonna be though.

Rog was in great form too both in humour and vocally (this is the best we'll hear him being as this was the first of a hat-trick of shows),taking the rise out of his own advancing years too with regards to hearing loss and using in-ear monitors which he hates ("...they use them on the X-Factor...dunno how...they're pointless when you're deaf anyway!").
At one point between tunes he kicked one his stage monitors and said that he couldn't hear PT's vocals:
"Pete...hello Pete...are you in there?Where's he gone?" which then led to PT wondering if they should have done the soundcheck before the show instead of during it.
"Novel idea-let's do the soundcheck during the show-at least the very last song will sound great!Nah,who does soundchecks for @#$%&'s sake?Only Coldplay (who were busy playing to 15000 more punters next door,and Pete then played an unwelcome snatch of 'Yellow') and Paul Simon!"
Careful Big Nose-nobody disses The Simon.
Both Rog and PT agreed that the sound snafus were all Bob Pridden's fault.No change there.

The highlights for me were 'Tattoo' and genuinely moving,as in rocking,'Naked Eye',fully plugged-in and amped-up.A @#$%& great song for me.Powerful again was the 'Cry If You Want' coda after 'My Generation' with PT riffing on "Brave Men,stupid war."
These are the moments that PT still looses himself despite the starch-like set-lists and when he goes to that other place he leads the band and the result is still a privilege to hear and feel.This band can still thrill you and still move you.

It was great to meet The Landlady (prior to her proposal er,insistence of marriage to Zak,and Terry from Who's Who and chatting with a few other lifers that I recognised from shows past.
As keith might have declared,
"Splendid!"

These are the shittest photos that anyone has ever dared to post,but thay'll have to do.

Cheers,

Si.

Si,

Nothing shitty about those pictures, they capture it. Thanks my friend, great.

Date: December 15, 2008 15:26

Great pics!!!!!!!!!! And great review! Thanks SO MUCH!

Love the windmills... great stuff! THANKS!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 15, 2008 15:43

What time do The Who go on stage.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 15, 2008 16:29

Hello,

I think the band were on about 8.45pm.

Anyone fancy a pint?I'm off to The Pilot now.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: December 15, 2008 16:54

Silver Dagger
What time do The Who go on stage.

They came on a little before 9:00 pm. Tell you what though, the support is worth catching, quite a revelation. They're called Kinkane.

Date: December 15, 2008 17:32

One further picture......

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 15, 2008 19:56

Back home after that great gig. Great show and great set list.

Was in cruthches (that kept me from reaching the Pilot Inn) but still dance a lot.

Date: December 16, 2008 03:17

Two down, one to go. Christ they were possibly even better tonight. Thanks guys.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:19

paulywaul
Two down, one to go. Christ they were possibly even better tonight. Thanks guys.

DITTO - Magic Bus or what?!! Plus we got a scare AND a bonus - after the first number of I Can't Explain, Pete says he's got something weird going on with his ears that he has to go and sort out. So everyone leaves the stage. Five minutes go by - ten minutes go by - with everyone thinking THAT'S IT, FOLKS! But thank God, no, they come back and do what - play I Can't Explain AGAIN!!! Twice in one night = historic! And then they go on to do an absolutely blistering show. On returning to stage, Pete says it's just a cold he has and so one of his ears shut down. Then he proceeds to take the proverbial out of himself - like oh dear, they can't heckle because Pete has earache. So immediately the heckling starts, so then he says that's more like it, you [insert expletive deletives]. Lots of banter was going on throughout (including a few good jibes from Pete at those right at the front). The versions of 5.15 and You Won't Get Fooled Again were something else altogether. As LOGIE so rightly says (as usual) - who the hell is going to step into the shoes of these guys and their like once they are gone? We are privileged. Meanwhile, here's looking forward to Wednesday night.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 16, 2008 05:36

paulywaul

Nice setlist. Including Slip Kid and Magic Bus. Man I love Slip Kid. No Getting in Tune though.

I Can't Explain
I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Anyway Anywhere Anyhow
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Tattoo
Sister Disco
Baba O' Riley
Eminence Front
5:15
Love Reign O'er Me
Won't Get Fooled Again
My Generation / Cry If You Want
Naked Eye
Encore:
Slip Kid
Magic Bus
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me Feel Me/Listening To You
Tea And Theater

Date: December 16, 2008 05:42

SLIP KID!!! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I can't believe they pulled that one out. Very rarely played live, and that was a song Pete bitched about Roger wanting to do, but Pete thought it would be to difficult to do live. WOW! How did it sound? That is a great set list!! AMAZING!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 16, 2008 08:58

Yup, he's not kidding. They played Slip Kid. First time I've ever heard them do it live.

Date: December 16, 2008 11:30

Now listen here boys n' girls ... see how the Who are treatin' their fans ? Just brilliantly, basically. So what the hell are we gonna do to get our boys to do the same for us ? Man, the Stones just GOTTA play this place, the Indigo2. Ya listenin' ... Mick n' Keef ????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-16 11:39 by paulywaul.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 16, 2008 11:51

You lucky sods!!!

I have NEVER heard them do Slip Kid!!!!

"I've got my clipboard, text books
Lead me to the station
Yeah, I'm off to the civil war
I've got my kit bag, my heavy boots
I'm runnin' in the rain
Gonna run till my feet are raw!"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 16, 2008 12:09

Awesome show on the Monday night. There was I thinking that it truly was over for The Who and they come back with a show like that. For starters they did Magic Bus. Hadn't heard that for years. And an incredible Love Reign O'er Me. Other surprises were Naked Eye, Sister Disco, Eminence Front, and even a debut for Slip Kid.
I'd seen The Who three times in 2006 - at Hyde Park, a low key Hedge Fund gig at Knebworth and at The Roundhouse and I was beginning to get a sense that they were only going through the motions, churning out the same old set list. What a difference it was last night. Townshend, as sardonic as ever - berating the audience and calling them a bunch of cnuts! Hilarious. Roger forgot the words to songs a couple of times and someone shouted out Alzheimers. Hilarious. But no way are these boys on the wane. Not if they play with the energy they had last night. I thought the gig was winding down when they did Won't Get Fooled Again. But then we got treated to the best version of Naked Eye I'd heard since I first saw them at Sundown Edmonton in December 73. Yes, that good. Plus the Alzheimers version of Slip Kid, the mighty Pinball Wizard and the thunderous acid chunk of Tommy starting with Amazing Journey into Sparks, and See Me Feel Me/Listening To You. And of course their new final number Tea and Theatre. And no, I couldn't get rid of my ticket. Anyone fancying their chance tonight might just be able to get in for cheap. There are still tickets left and it wasn't too crowded. Great venue too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-16 13:26 by Silver Dagger.

Date: December 16, 2008 13:17

Beast
paulywaul

DITTO - Magic Bus or what?!! Plus we got a scare AND a bonus - after the first number of I Can't Explain, Pete says he's got something weird going on with his ears that he has to go and sort out. So everyone leaves the stage. Five minutes go by - ten minutes go by - with everyone thinking THAT'S IT, FOLKS! But thank God, no, they come back and do what - play I Can't Explain AGAIN!!! Twice in one night = historic! And then they go on to do an absolutely blistering show. On returning to stage, Pete says it's just a cold he has and so one of his ears shut down. Then he proceeds to take the proverbial out of himself - like oh dear, they can't heckle because Pete has earache. So immediately the heckling starts, so then he says that's more like it, you [insert expletive deletives]. Lots of banter was going on throughout (including a few good jibes from Pete at those right at the front). The versions of 5.15 and You Won't Get Fooled Again were something else altogether. As LOGIE so rightly says (as usual) - who the hell is going to step into the shoes of these guys and their like once they are gone? We are privileged. Meanwhile, here's looking forward to Wednesday night.

<<< We are privileged. >>>

Yep, that's it, we sure are. God, I'm in panic mode again for the second time in two days, what the f*** are we gonna do when giants of the game like these guys are finally gone ? Go and see Coldplay ? Don't bloody think so !!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 16, 2008 15:44

paulywaul
God, I'm in panic mode again for the second time in two days, what the f*** are we gonna do when giants of the game like these guys are finally gone ? Go and see Coldplay ? Don't bloody think so !!

Now I'm also scared. Really something to think about.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1181
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home