Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Bands with Zero Stage Presence (Oasis content)
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: October 17, 2008 09:16

I tried to watch Oasis Wembley show last night on MTV, but was bored by Noel and Liam's lack of movement and no connection with the crowd. Noel even had a music stand in front of him! I like some of their music, or I wouldnt have been watching but are there other bands out there who are so dull on stage?

Re: OT: Bands with Zero Stage Presence (Oasis content)
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 17, 2008 10:08

Bob Dylan. But that is another case... :-) I wouldn't call him dull, but I have never seen anyone else trying so hard not to make any other connection with the audience than by the music itself. But that is well known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-17 10:15 by Happy24.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 17, 2008 10:23

UGot2Rollme
I tried to watch Oasis Wembley show last night on MTV, but was bored by Noel and Liam's lack of movement and no connection with the crowd. Noel even had a music stand in front of him! I like some of their music, or I wouldnt have been watching but are there other bands out there who are so dull on stage?

you're talking out of your bottom.

I was at the concert last night, a superb show.
Liam connects with the fans, like very few frontman.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 17, 2008 10:25

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan but they fall (or fell) in to this category to a degree BUT the band recognised this early on hence the visuals,strobes,pyrotechnics etc. They were never the type of band who were going to leap about the stage yelping "It's great to be in wherever" or hold the mic towards the crowd to echo a chorus. Roger Waters picked up on the whole artist/fan concept and basically wrote The Wall around it. I mean, a huge White wall between the band and the audience. How much connection do you need?!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 17, 2008 11:49

The last time I saw Dylan was 2003. You couldn´t really see him (a big hat on and half way turned from the audience), you couldn´t hear him sing (the remains of his voice buried in the extremely bad mix), you couldn´t hear him talk (he didn´t say a word between the songs), you didn´t recognize most of the songs (the arrangements completely different from the originals). I still have the ticket and it says Bob Dylan but I wonder...

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 17, 2008 13:52

UGot2Rollme

Frank Sinatra had more stage presence than probably any artist who ever lived, yet he hardly had to move a muscle in order to captivate an audience; ditto Leonard Cohen.

Then again, if you have a penchant for aerobics instructors who prefer to prioritise their out-of-breath movements ahead of their singing, then so be it.

...and it's nice to know that Mick's ridiculous stage antics have been making at least ONE person happy.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 17, 2008 13:53

edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-17 13:53 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 17, 2008 13:53

Mike Oldfield Band 1982 was no Big Connector.......

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 17, 2008 14:29

Radiohead.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 17, 2008 14:36

Why does 'stage presence' have to be defined solely by running around, wiggling your arse or conversing inanely (eg "you havin a good time??" ) every 5 minutes?

Watched part of that Oasis show on TV last night. The crowd were going nuts (and London crowds arent noted for their exuberance).

Looks like whatever theyre doing it seems to work. Stones crowds (in the US & to some degree in the UK anyway) are morgue-like by comparison. Sometimes its more like being in a shopping mall.

Never felt it a big deal that Dylan doesnt talk much either. Quality over quantity. He can 'communicate' more with a raised eyebrow than many acts can with two hours of tedious patter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-17 14:56 by Gazza.

Date: October 17, 2008 15:06

Svartmer
The last time I saw Dylan was 2003. You couldn´t really see him (a big hat on and half way turned from the audience), you couldn´t hear him sing (the remains of his voice buried in the extremely bad mix), you couldn´t hear him talk (he didn´t say a word between the songs), you didn´t recognize most of the songs (the arrangements completely different from the originals). I still have the ticket and it says Bob Dylan but I wonder...

Some of us actually like that.

A true performing artist isnt there to replicate the original recordings. Its pretty ludicrous to expect something to sound like it did 30 or 40 years ago. As far as he's concerned, the original recording is merely a template. The song matures and develops over the years through the different interpretations.

Never ceases to amaze me how many different ways he can rework a song. Year-in, year-out the arrangements change radically, sometimes to a degree where it even changes the mood of the song's lyrics (listen to the original of 'I Want You' and then the 1978 live version thats on 'Budokan' for example). Sometimes the arrangements come off brilliantly, sometimes they dont, but it keeps it interesting.

Personally I prefer that option to just attempting to carbon-copy the original or by playing the song the exact same way for years on end.

Genius makes it's own rules.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: October 17, 2008 15:16

Dire Straits

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 17, 2008 15:19

The mosty visually boring act to me is Pink Floyd.
Close 2nd : Grateful Dead

Again, nothing to do with music, it's about on-stage charisma.
Everyone can't be Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury or Steven Tyler

Concerning Bob Dylan, I kinda agree with Gazza, but Dylan is sometimes going a bit too far into rearranging songs, at least for non die-hard fans.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 17, 2008 15:36

ELP
Peter Frampton
All folk singers

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 17, 2008 15:56

Doc

Roger Waters actually makes very good connection with his audience. I was very surprised when I saw him - I expected him to be cold and distant, but he was actually quite cool, at least he seemed to be. He put on one of the best concerts I have ever attended both musically and visually. But I understand that you probably speak about the rest of the Floyd, which I have unfortunately never seen. But I don't believe I would be bored.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 17, 2008 16:09

Gazza
Svartmer

A true performing artist isnt there to replicate the original recordings. Its pretty ludicrous to expect something to sound like it did 30 or 40 years ago. As far as he's concerned, the original recording is merely a template. The song matures and develops over the years through the different interpretations.

Never ceases to amaze me how many different ways he can rework a song. Year-in, year-out the arrangements change radically, sometimes to a degree where it even changes the mood of the song's lyrics (listen to the original of 'I Want You' and then the 1978 live version thats on 'Budokan' for example). Sometimes the arrangements come off brilliantly, sometimes they dont, but it keeps it interesting.

Personally I prefer that option to just attempting to carbon-copy the original or by playing the song the exact same way for years on end.

It would be fun to hear your reactions if the Stones would play their great songs with different chords and tempo. Maybe they will, unintentional, the next tourwinking smiley

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 17, 2008 16:28

Happy24
Bob Dylan. But that is another case... :-) I wouldn't call him dull, but I have never seen anyone else trying so hard not to make any other connection with the audience than by the music itself. But that is well known.

actually there are not many audiences trying harder to make a connection with artist than the ones on Dylan shows! ;-) and, honestly, I love listening to his live CDs and his concert was one of the best days of my life!

Date: October 17, 2008 16:52

<It would be fun to hear your reactions if the Stones would play their great songs with different chords and tempo. Maybe they will, unintentional, the next tour>

They did it with 19th Nervous Breakdown. No huge success though.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 17, 2008 17:03

DandelionPowderman
<It would be fun to hear your reactions if the Stones would play their great songs with different chords and tempo. Maybe they will, unintentional, the next tour>

They did it with 19th Nervous Breakdown. No huge success though.

They played it, what, 2 or 3 times? I thought it was great, but it wasn't recieved well.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 17, 2008 17:06

Happy24
Doc

Roger Waters actually makes very good connection with his audience. I was very surprised when I saw him - I expected him to be cold and distant, but he was actually quite cool, at least he seemed to be. He put on one of the best concerts I have ever attended both musically and visually. But I understand that you probably speak about the rest of the Floyd, which I have unfortunately never seen. But I don't believe I would be bored.

Visually boring? Weren't we there for the music?
Then again, as Mr.Waters pointed out "A lot of fans were 'only there for the beer' ".

Date: October 17, 2008 17:09

<They played it, what, 2 or 3 times? I thought it was great, but it wasn't recieved well.>

Sweet Black Angel also comes to mind. Strange version smiling smiley No success at that time either...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 17, 2008 18:39

Rush

Its almost like they strapped their feet to the stage floor for 2.5 hours.
No presence or show....

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 17, 2008 19:09

Bruce Springsteen

Date: October 17, 2008 19:23

Svartmer
Gazza
Svartmer

It would be fun to hear your reactions if the Stones would play their great songs with different chords and tempo. Maybe they will, unintentional, the next tourwinking smiley

I've been wanting them to do that for several years now. Its certainly a better alternative than the same 5 minute long chorus at the end of Brown Sugar thats been the norm for the last 20 years (the brilliant version from Juilliard excepted)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 17, 2008 19:35

Me, I'd welcome with OPEN ARMS rearrangements to all the Stone stuff. The 19th Nervous Breakdown was freaking cool. The clips I heard from that Toronto club show was smoking. Great guitars and incredible groove. It not being well recieved---pisses me off. It dissapoints me that the fans threw it back at them and said "Eh, no thanks on that one." Maybe it's part the fans fault too? They don't challenge themselves (and us) because we don't let them. But then again, if they persisted and had balls to just do it and make us accept it--fans would have to take the new changes.

Date: October 17, 2008 19:45

shadooby
Bruce Springsteen

Yeah, a real bore. >grinning smiley<

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 17, 2008 19:46

Elmo Lewis
shadooby
Bruce Springsteen

Yeah, a real bore. >grinning smiley<

Hope ya know I was kidding!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 18, 2008 00:35

Yes is a sensational group but when I saw them in Seattle in 1976 (maybe I was high) it was like watching paint dry w/lasers going off around me.

Joan Armatrading made a point of saying hello once in 1982 and hardly acknowledged the audience after that.

Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings and Jerry Jeff Walker at The Summit in Houston on New Year's Eve 1977 were great! No inflating peni, just great music and lots and lots of casual conversation from Willie. It was like we were all in his garage at home smoking and drinking beer.

Led Zeppelin St. Patrick's Day 1975 could have been a sound check for all the excitement that was coming from the stage.

Aimee Mann is a dynamic musician and doesn't move around much, but her between song banter is hilarious!

Joan Baez is another singer who is so relaxed and sounds better than her records live.

Queen at Seattle Arena 1977 were great. At Seattle Coliseum December 1978 boring as all get out.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 18, 2008 00:40

The Menace of Mayfair
Aimee Mann is a dynamic musician and doesn't move around much, but her between song banter is hilarious!

correct - she's very dry, her years of living in the UK, influenced her humour,
that's for sure.
Can't wait to see her, again, next friday.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: October 18, 2008 00:45

Flat out John Fogerty.

Was poor in CCR "here's another song", followed by "thank you".

Learned to talk and move a little for his last solo tour but comes off as a hick when he talks.

And for Elmo, folks singers are some of the best stage presences, they have to know how to talk to an audience. Check out Arlo, John Prine, a Four Horseman show (Hiatt, Lovet, Guy Clark and Joe Ely)....nothing but personality. Check out song writers, they have something to say.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home