Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: G'N'R Chinese Democracy Out 11/23/2008
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 25, 2008 17:38

Track 4 is calssic GnR. On the first listen, the rest ranges from the OK to a little iffy.

Going to give it another spin tonight, thought I bought the Killers latest as well. The latter is superb and I can't seem to yank it from the CD player!

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: November 25, 2008 21:56

Big Al
Track 4 is calssic GnR. On the first listen, the rest ranges from the OK to a little iffy.

Going to give it another spin tonight, thought I bought the Killers latest as well. The latter is superb and I can't seem to yank it from the CD player!

I agree, track 4 (Street of Dreams) is the strongest track. But the album gets better for me on every listen. I liked it the first spin, now I love it.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 25, 2008 22:10

the best gnr solo stuff (and chines democracy is axl solo, not gnr) was released by izzy stradlin anyway:

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 25, 2008 22:15

Doc
I kept chacking, but there is no official details so far.
Apparently the box will include the CD, a tee shirt, a belt buckle, and a few more stuff.

Considering how long it took to put out the record, a making-of DVD would have taken the form of a 10-DVD box set + the album, LOL

Will it include Slash and Izzysmiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 26, 2008 00:42

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of G'n'R as my contributions to this thread will testify:
[www.iorr.org]
But I have to agree with HelterSkelters comments about the current state of the "band":
HelterSkelter
... this isn't Guns and Roses, it's Axl solo but he's too insecure to call it that....

Let's just for a moment imagine an an alternative reality:

February 1993: Mick Jagger has announced that after nine years a new album by the Rolling Stones is to be released entitled "Wandering Spirit"
This will be their first album since "Dirty Work" released in 1986. The new album will not feature any of the original band members as Jagger's ongoing conflict with Keith Richards has not been resolved and the other band members, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Ronnie Wood declined to take part.
The new Rolling Stones line up is Brendan O'Brien and Frank Simes (guitars), Doug Wimbish (bass guitar) and Curt Bisquera (drums)
Jagger and Richards tried to reconcile in 1989 at George Martin's Air Studios in Montserrat , but nothing ever came of these sessions although they have been widely bootleged as the "Steel Wheels Sessions".

I suspect that none of us here on this board would have accepted that scenario!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-26 00:46 by Deltics.

Date: November 26, 2008 02:03

Deltics. That's a spot on analysis.

I bought the CD this weekend. Sorry but I find it wretched, a bad joke just as Chinese Democracy might be in real life.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 26, 2008 14:28

If Mick had sold Wandering Spirit like Chinese Democracy he'd have to use the same keyboard player !

Listening to the first two tracks of Chin Dem. Reminded me of Marilyn Manson although a bit funkier.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 26, 2008 17:05

I think the song "Chinese Democracy" is a pretty decent tune with a great riff.
Maybe Axl knows how to create fine music that gets you going although Slash and Izzy are not in the band anymore.

Date: November 26, 2008 18:06

Again I would argue that GnR has ALWAYS been an Axl solo project.
Adler kicked out, nobody complained when Matt started playing drums
Dizzy Reed added, not a peep
Izzy leaves and Gilby Clark steps right in. 3 guys from the classic line-up remain in a NOW 6 man band and yet that is still a band for everyone.
So after UYI tour it all starts to crumble (drugs and money can do that to a group)

But my point is this... the line-up has never been consistent from album to album or tour to tour.
Heck, Tommy Stinson has played bass longer for GnR than Duff was in the band.

I understand the complaining about it, but a good album is a good album and Chinese Democracy is a good album. When you come to terms with the fact that it was always the vision of Axl you can then enjoy a good album a long time in the making.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 26, 2008 18:20

what a crock of shit. when Adler left and was replaced by the poodle permed idiot a LOT of people threw in the towel. me included

losing Izzy was the final straw

for the record, i don't think CD is a bad album. its a @#$%& terrible one

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 26, 2008 18:40

GNR or not GNR is not the point. We don't care. In a couple of hours I will see Motorhead live. Phil animal Taylor and Fast Eddie Clark are no more in the band. So is it still Motorhead or a Kilmister band ? who give a shit. Just the music counts.

Date: November 26, 2008 18:47

toomuchforme
GNR or not GNR is not the point. We don't care. In a couple of hours I will see Motorhead live. Phil animal Taylor and Fast Eddie Clark are no more in the band. So is it still Motorhead or a Kilmister band ? who give a shit. Just the music counts.

WOW toomuch
that is a great statement.
I fully agree and would like to subscribe to your news-letter

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 06:11

Guns 'N' Roses was...the BAND that recorded Appetite.

Guns 'N' Roses no longer exists. G'N'R as we know them, THAT band, has been gone since 1993.

G'N'R does not exist.

Lemmy - it's HIS band. There you go.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 27, 2008 07:59

i just found chinese democracy here in china
my fav tracks so far are street of dreams,if the world,there was a time,catcher in therye and madagascar.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 27, 2008 08:57

andy js
what a crock of shit. when Adler left and was replaced by the poodle permed idiot a LOT of people threw in the towel. me included

losing Izzy was the final straw

for the record, i don't think CD is a bad album. its a @#$%& terrible one

100% correct analysis! i must admit that i liked UYI 1&2 alot though. but looking back now it's so obvious that it's not even close to the masterpiece appetite. the production sucks and matt sorum was a terrible choice. but still there were some great tracks on it. after izzy gnr was over!

Date: November 27, 2008 14:04

for me Motorhead was always Lemmy, Phil & Eddie

but its Lemmy's band so i guess he can still use the name. they aren't much cop on this current tour though so don't expect much

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:17

What about Hawkwind, one original member.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 27, 2008 14:42

I admit Ch Dem is better than what I expected
I listened to it, and I may even purchase it.
Sounds like the continuation of UYIs but 15 years late.

If you didn't know Slash ain't there anymore, if you were given the album to listen to in 1994 without any additional info, would you have said it sux ?
I don't think I would have been that hard with the record.
Our knowledge of the GnR's history is IMO interfering with the music available on this new CD.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: November 27, 2008 16:26

Doc
if you were given the album to listen to in 1994 without any additional info, would you have said it sux ?

absolutely. a shitfest is a shitfest whenever it comes out

then again, i thought 75% of the Use Your Illusion albums was shit also

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 27, 2008 17:47

Oh yeah!!! Either you like Chinese Democracy or you don't. No big deal really.
Just as long as everybody's happy and stuff like that. Life is too short to spend time complaining about cds.
Try to leave the house for a change, have some booze and get layed. Simple as that.

Date: November 28, 2008 04:36

Seems Mr. Rose has turned into a Dr @#$%&:

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.reuters.com]

[news.bbc.co.uk]

ANYTHING for hype these days huh Axrll?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: November 28, 2008 05:40

The album is kind of a flop.

It will enter the charts at #2 (behind Kanye West) while selling about 300k copies it's first week. I would have thought that after all the hype the album would sell 3 times that and enter the charts at #1.

Date: November 29, 2008 08:07

James Kirk
The album is kind of a flop.

It will enter the charts at #2 (behind Kanye West) while selling about 300k copies it's first week. I would have thought that after all the hype the album would sell 3 times that and enter the charts at #1.

where are you getting this info? this weeks chart had beyonce as the #1 spot. its updated every thursday and on wednesday they release sales numbers. how can you know next weeks chart numbers before the week is up? the only thing i've seen is speculation that it will enter at #2 and the 300k in sales was only from 2 days (sunday and monday) i believe.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:30

I would appreciate any georgelicks insights on this one?
Is the record industry likely to get their 13 million back?

Date: November 29, 2008 12:16

Whale
I would appreciate any georgelicks insights on this one?
Is the record industry likely to get their 13 million back?

i think they will. the live album and greatest hits album released a few years ago was a way for geffen to start recouping money. those 2 albums have sold over 5 million units combined. best buy had to pay a pretty penny to get the rights to the album, 1 of the songs is featured in a movie and another in a video game which both of these generated more money for geffen selling the rights to these songs. on top of that the GNR back catalog sells about 1 million units a year in america and now factor in i believe chinese democracy will probably sell 3-4 million units by the end of 2009 and i think thats most of the 13 million. plus i heard axl has 2 more albums of material ready to go

Posted by: lolz ()
Date: November 29, 2008 18:17

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 29, 2008 19:53

I've listened to it quite a bit this past week. There is some "filler" type material on it. The one song however that is not getting attention is a song called "Sorry". To me, the best song of the bunch and could not get any better performed or produced.

Date: December 10, 2008 20:20

Here you go - a bit of an update:

"GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", sold just under 57,000 copies in the United States in its second week of release to land at position No. 18 on The Billboard 200 chart. This represents a whopping 78-percent drop from the CD's opening-week tally of 261,000."

Go AXL! 14 years of...nothing but a popcorn fart.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 10, 2008 21:19

i like the album,what i like about it is the heavy duty multi-layering of the guitars,the over the top production quality of how it's mixed in the g-n-r way.axehole voice is really good on here just like the old days .it's got a really hard beat to it that just slams in your face .there are good songs on the album and then there are some lemons on here just like any record has no artist that ever bats .1000.this album is meant to be played LOUD (that's always fun).what i dont like about it is that there are no GUNNERS on the (slash,duff,izzy,steven adler,or matt sorum ,and even gillby clarke)album. what you most miss is SLASH beatiful LES PAUL MAKING SWEET MUSIC THROUGH THOSE MARSHALLS,and the care free reckless abandon that the real gunners played with .to draw an analogy to the grateful dead each concert was a journey some times the jerry bus would soar to the haevens and make beatiful music and some times the bus would be driven off a cliff and crash into the abyss.that's what was fun about the REAL GUNS N ROSES, the way the old band played was right on the edge of the cliff and it was ballsy and in your face and would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight out.this album has none of that feel to it,but to sum it up nowadays with all the crap coming out as new music it's not bad.this should not be a g-n-r titled album it should be axehole solo.

Date: December 10, 2008 21:38

guns and roses was the band that recorded appetite..

its really that simple.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home