Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: G'N'R Chinese Democracy Out 11/23/2008
Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: November 23, 2008 21:40

Just listened to a few tracks on their myspace page and I canĀ“t believe it took Axl 17 years to record this crapfest.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 23, 2008 21:50

Bought it yesterday. I thought I had to do something kind to the record industry, and actually buy this stuff. After all, they invested millions in it.
It's overproduced and you can clearly hear that.
It's not that bad. It's a decent record with some nice moments.
Some of the guitar parts are treated to computer deformation which makes for a fresh sound.
Many tracks are presumably about a serious relationship Axl once had, and that went south.
You can buy it. You can also not buy it.
It's like a few beers in a good bar. It's enjoyable.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: November 23, 2008 22:47

Can't respect any musician that can't keep a band together (well, at least as long as TALKING HEADS or something). Enough with the "Drama Queen" crap Axl and just play... this isn't Guns and Roses, it's Axl solo but he's too insecure to call it that.... From the reviews so far it sounds like it's time for "Axl suicide watch" for the next few weeks....

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: November 24, 2008 01:01

guitarbastard
guns n roses DOES NOT exist anymore!
I couldn't agree more!
This album is absolute crap!
Nothing common with Guns and f***ing Roses!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 24, 2008 01:44

I've heard the album on their myspace site.

I must honestly say, there are really some f*cking great tunes on it. I like especially the songs: "Catcher In The Rye", "Madagascar", "There Was A Time " and "This I Love". But I've no plans to buy it, because I do not support the a**hole behavior of Axl Rose against the ex members (Slash, Duff, etc.).

Chinese Demogracy will be definatly not so sucessful like Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion 1 + 2.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 24, 2008 02:19

Overall, not bad. Too much of a "stank" predetermination before people actually listed to it. My only gripe is that it is over produced at times, but that was his vision. He wanted it where you could not tweak it anymore or look back and say how could have I done it differently.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 24, 2008 04:02

I bought a SHM-CD version.
It has a good sound quality and surround sound.
However music itself doesn't impress me except "If The World" and "Holden Coldfield."

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 24, 2008 04:16

axl rose destroyed an amazing band!
guns n roses doesnt exist anymore.
what he released under that name is tasteless BULLSH.IT!

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: November 24, 2008 06:31

I listened to it today and frankly, I think it sucks. Sounds like a particularly hard rock-influenced Nine Inch Nails album.

However, I still want my free Dr. Pepper.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 24, 2008 08:14

This is not a Guns 'n' Roses album - it's an Axl solo project. It's overproduced crap, most of which is nicked from Queen or NIN. 12 to 14 years of work and we're left with a steaming, albeit expensive, pile of dog doody.

If Axl needs a touring band, maybe he can audition for that gig in Velvet Revolver.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 24, 2008 12:15

For those intesrested into byuing it, there's a collectible version coming out in 2 weeks. If you are a fan, it may be worth waiting rather than buying it twice...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 24, 2008 12:17

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 24, 2008 12:18

nice info Doc
I will wait maybe.
currently listening to it on their myspace page

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 12:43

Doc
For those intesrested into byuing it, there's a collectible version coming out in 2 weeks. If you are a fan, it may be worth waiting rather than buying it twice...

Dude, have you ANY more info on what exactly this collectible version will be??

Extra songs? DVD?

Sounds interesting..

Date: November 24, 2008 13:03

All I got is the price : 55 to 65 euros instead of 15 to 17 euros for the regular CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-24 13:08 by Doc.

Date: November 24, 2008 13:11

I kept chacking, but there is no official details so far.
Apparently the box will include the CD, a tee shirt, a belt buckle, and a few more stuff.

Considering how long it took to put out the record, a making-of DVD would have taken the form of a 10-DVD box set + the album, LOL

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: November 24, 2008 14:26

Guns'n' WHO???

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 24, 2008 16:37

Bimmelzerbott
Guns'n' WHO???

now that's funny, yawning smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 24, 2008 16:41

after 3 listenings, this cd is disappointing. Certainly not the best rock album as Axl wanted it to be.

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: November 24, 2008 17:34

I have been listening to this since I bought it yesterday.

I really like a big chunk of this album (and mind you, IMO, there is no perfect GnR album... they all have some crap in them)
I can agree that it is, at times, over produced but it sounds very much like the album that would have followed the UYIs whether it was released in 1995 or 2008.

Also, to everyone bitching that this is NOT GnR... maybe, but keep this in mind,
GnRs line up has changed constantly since day one. Yes Slash has a more soulful sound in his guitar but this version sounds like classic GnR to me.
I have seen EVERY lineup of this band and every tour since 88 and the line up has never been exactly the same on any tour but it always sound like GnR.
You might complain that its just an Axl solo project, but I would argue that, in a way, GnR ALWAYS WAS an Axl solo project.

If you dig Guns N' Roses I think you will dig the new record... it sounds like GnR and like every GnR record there are some really great tunes mixed with some duds. I think it is a damn good album that picks up right where they/he left off in the 90s.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 24, 2008 17:45

If it'd been released under the name Axl Rose rather than GNR i might've given a @#$%&. As it is I can't be arsed as it simply isn't GNR no matter what it says on the cover

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 24, 2008 18:35

Mathijs
aslecs
and the Stones BLEW them off the stage in LA in 89

Personally I find Salt of the Earth the only guest appearance that I can bare. In my opinion Axl blows Jagger of the stage with his much more powerful voice. And, he's clearly not intimidated by Jagger while most guests truly are.

Mathijs

Strange, because my opinion is exctactly the opposite: Axl's voice on that numer is terribly irritating, and on stage he turned out to be a very weak, unsuccessful and pale imitation of Mick, who really really blew him off stage big time.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 24, 2008 19:05

I think both Mick and Axl were good at the LA gig in 1989.
No rivalry needed really.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 23:54

It's out....and it's absolute garbage....totally re-dubbed, processed crap. None of the grit of the original band at all....and plenty of songs that will make you say "What the EFF is this crap?"

terrible.

Buy Izzy Stradin's "Fire" if you want a real album.

Axl is a douche and this "Gn'R" is nothing more than a glorified Tribute Band which just happens to have the original singer.

loser....ruined my SECOND favorite band.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 25, 2008 00:07

CHINESE DEMOCRACY IS GREAT! Give it a honest listen and forget that it took 2 presidental administrations to complete. The more I listen, the more intense it gets. Best song to me is "Sorry"

Sounds like it could have came off of Pink Floyd's "Animals"

It's really a good record. And this is coming from someone who listens to Phillip Glass on occassion.

Date: November 25, 2008 00:48

this album is brilliant. sorry axl isn't trying to recreate the sound of past albums like other bands do. its a progressive step from use your illusions.

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: November 25, 2008 01:04

keefriffhard4life
this album is brilliant. sorry axl isn't trying to recreate the sound of past albums like other bands do. its a progressive step from use your illusions.

I agree. I think this is as good of a GnR record as any of them. I always liked this band and I still do. Go see them live and you will not be able to tell the difference between them and the classic line-up.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 25, 2008 10:18

Wild Slivovitz
Mathijs
aslecs
and the Stones BLEW them off the stage in LA in 89

Personally I find Salt of the Earth the only guest appearance that I can bare. In my opinion Axl blows Jagger of the stage with his much more powerful voice. And, he's clearly not intimidated by Jagger while most guests truly are.

Mathijs

Strange, because my opinion is exctactly the opposite: Axl's voice on that numer is terribly irritating, and on stage he turned out to be a very weak, unsuccessful and pale imitation of Mick, who really really blew him off stage big time.

To like or not to like his voice or appearence of course is very subjective, and to each his own. But to say that Axl Rose ever had a 'weak' voice is like saying that a Ferrari is a 'decent ride'.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 25, 2008 11:17

Been listening to it for some time now, and gotta say that it is much better than what I expected.

Sure Axl did not betray GnR's legacy: this disc sounds 100% GnR. Axl was GnR. Take Velvet Revolver: 3/5 of the old line up GnR, but Scott Weiland is (was) enough to make them sound like STP.

Of course Chinese is far away form the Appetite sound, but also UYI I & II and the following tours were very distant from the Appetite days.

Yet, it is no masterpiece.

Very much like the UYI discs, it is more about Axl than the music.

C

p.s. Salt of the Earth with Axl was great. Great song by the greatest band ever to start with. Axl - who was huge at the time - was humble and sang with emotion. He nailed it.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 25, 2008 16:58

I guess it'll sell just as well as the 1st Velvet Revolver album. There are still a lot of Gunners out there (not so sure about the Roses ... )

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home