Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: G'N'R Chinese Democracy Out 11/23/2008
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: October 25, 2008 14:33

much better than the most chart crap nowadays.
imo great guitar music,it really rocks,especially after listening more times

far better than the demos,or the leaked tapes (which of course ive never heard smiling smiley )

can`t wait for the full album

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-25 14:36 by TeleK.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 25, 2008 15:15

it actually sounds very much like Use Your Illusion I with some Nine Inch Nails thrown in. I actually really like it, but that's easy as I still feel UYI I and I are still the best albums from the 90's. From '88 to '93 GnR absolutely ruled the world, they were bigger than the Stones even.

Mathijs

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 25, 2008 15:34

Mathijs
they were bigger than the Stones even.

yeah for about 30 seconds, and thats a generous estimate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-25 15:35 by melillo.

Date: October 25, 2008 17:25

melillo
Mathijs
they were bigger than the Stones even.

yeah for about 30 seconds, and thats a generous estimate

Nope, they absolutely were bigger than the Stones in '88 to '92. Of course, it all crashed then.

Mathijs

Date: October 25, 2008 17:45

agree about 88, because the stones werent working, but once steel wheels and the tour hit town i believe the stones were bigger, the steel wheels press conference alone is proof of that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-25 19:50 by melillo.

Date: October 25, 2008 21:25

melillo
agree about 88, because the stones werent working, but once steel wheels and the tour hit town i believe the stones were bigger, the steel wheels press conference alone is proof of that

The Stones '89 tour was a big thing as it was their comeback tour, but GnR just comepletely ruled the press at that time, and sold millions more of tickets and records in that short '88 to '92 period. GnR was at that time as big as the Stones in '65 or '72.

Mathijs

Date: October 26, 2008 00:27

They were supporting The Stones on some shows, weren't they?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 26, 2008 00:32

GNR was the biggest in the period Mathijs mentioned. Stones were also mega. Same with Nirvana.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 26, 2008 00:38

then shouldnt the stones have opened for them? of course not, hence my point

Date: October 26, 2008 00:45

melillo
then shouldnt the stones have opened for them? of course not, hence my point

Yeah, but almost everybody would open for The Stones. Plus the fact that GNR opened for The Stones could be a tribute. Probably was too.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 26, 2008 00:52

I am sure you are right about that and i believe it was somewhat of a tribute too , just like when bon jovi opened for the stones

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: October 26, 2008 01:56

and the Stones BLEW them off the stage in LA in 89

Date: October 26, 2008 02:29

I am sure that is true also, just like mick blew axl off the stage in AC 89, when that poor boy thought he could match mick as a front man, what a joke

Date: October 26, 2008 02:45

I'm not much for the version of Salt Of The Earth either. Axl's vox are awful there.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 26, 2008 09:50

Mathijs
Nope, they absolutely were bigger than the Stones in '88 to '92. Of course, it all crashed then.
Mathijs

Absolutely true. Simple as that.

Date: October 26, 2008 10:08

I never like when an artist puts out a double album , and then it is said that it would have been better as a condensed single album. But with Use Your Illusion I and II I feel it applies totally. They released one song twice (and it happened to be one of the worst ones IMO), put out utter crap (My World, Back off Bitch, Shotgun Blues), and extended some cuts for an extra 5 minutes when they would have made a tight rocker (Coma, Breakdown). But the good parts were most excellent. Not sure if they would have fit on a single album but a much shorter double would have been great.
Who even is in Axl's band today?

Date: October 26, 2008 10:14

aslecs
and the Stones BLEW them off the stage in LA in 89

Well, when I say bigger than the Stones I am not talking about the music, because that's not what is was about with GnR. With the LA shows GnR opened, but also got all the press. The press wasn't talking about the Stones as much, it was GnR that made the head lines (for example because Axl told the audience he would quit GnR due to band menbers behaviour). At that time GnR was really the most dangerous band in the world, much like the Stones were in the 60's. They were junkies, they were violent, they were angry.

Personally I find Salt of the Earth the only guest appearance that I can bare. In my opinion Axl blows Jagger of the stage with his much more powerful voice. And, he's clearly not intimidated by Jagger while most guests truly are.

Mathijs

Date: October 26, 2008 12:39

I wonder if some guests nowadays are almost pretending to be intimidated; Jagger doesn't really mean anything to them, except for what they are told or what they hear. Often these pairings are set up by music biz insiders, so they would tell their protegees about the Jagger concept, and that he is history and it is becoming to show a little fear. I am thinking about Justin T, Christina A.
Jack White on the other hand knows his history and I think his nerves were genuine, and also kinda charming.

Date: October 26, 2008 12:57

skipstone
I don't know what I'm talking about? Axl throwing pianos off of balconies? YOU obviously don't now what you're talking about. It's not Guns 'N' Roses as the world knows it - it's Axl. G'N'R have been done for quite some time.

Axl is a prick and his music sucks. I don't see what the problem is with that fact.

but axl throwing piano's is not why the album took so long, slash, duff and matt quiting the band at different times between 1996-1998 is what cause any material prior to 1998 to basically be trashed and axl had to find replacements and then start writing all over again

Date: October 26, 2008 14:54

Mathijs
Personally I find Salt of the Earth the only guest appearance that I can bare. In my opinion Axl blows Jagger of the stage with his much more powerful voice. And, he's clearly not intimidated by Jagger while most guests truly are.

So the SOTE guest appearance is one of your faves? I'm not big on it. I'm much more for the version of Who Do You Love with Bo Diddley. That simply has to be the best one they ever did.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 6, 2008 10:09

The biggest band from '88 ('87) 'til '93 was U2. not GNR.
(Worldwide) album sales, concert tickets, press,... U2 beats gnr in all these categories.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 6, 2008 10:47

BowieStone
The biggest band from '88 ('87) 'til '93 was U2. not GNR.
(Worldwide) album sales, concert tickets, press,... U2 beats gnr in all these categories.

Maybe, but musically, no way U2 beats GnR.

On stage, Bono's rants have always pissed me of. I ain't a teenager anymore, he ain't either.
If he wants to reduce the debt of Third World countries, it's fine, but why isn't he doing it with his own money. His rants take too much time for nothing. Always more blah blah and less music, but I don't care, I don't go.
U2 is unlistenable since (and including) Zooropa

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 6, 2008 13:36

Yeah there was a bit of flab on UYI 1 and 2. Personally I liked Shotgun Blues.

And yeah, who IS in GnR these days? Izzy Stradlin's entry on Wikipedia says he is open to a Gunners reunion tour with the classic line-up.

Are there any boot live DVDs from the UYI tour?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 6, 2008 17:15

Father Ted
Are there any boot live DVDs from the UYI tour?

Hell yeah !

Pro-shot :
Paris - Hippodrome de Vincenne 1992. To me an absolute must have, with Lenny Kravitz, Joe Perry and Steven Tyler as guests.
St Louis 1991. The so-called riot show, where AXL jumps in the audience.
Oklahoma City 1992.

Just to name a few
I think there is also a concert from South America, Rio or Buenos Aires.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 6, 2008 17:18

I'm curious. Since Axl got rid of the band as everyone knows it to be and has...whatever he has now, how does that sit with people? I find it very disturbing and difficult to know whether or not I'll bother with this next version of GNR.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 16, 2008 16:44

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 16, 2008 17:01

Of course G&R were huge for some time. But what does that mean?

A lot of bands were bigger than the Stones FOR SOME TIME
That always happened!It started already in the 60's!

But in the long run it's always been the Stones!!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 16, 2008 17:06

guns n roses DOES NOT exist anymore!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 16, 2008 17:28

I went to one of the 89 LA shows with a few friends that were strictly G&R fans and they admitted the Stones were much better, I personly didn't think the stones did that great of a show but G&R were horrible.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: November 23, 2008 21:33

So it's finally out. I've managed to avoid all the tracks that were leaked on the internet. But I bought it at Best Buy earlier today and will listen to the whole thing through later this evening. I'll withhold judgment until I've heard it a few times.

I'm amused by the lack of fanfare surrounding its release at the Alexandria, VA Best Buy. Best Buy bought the rights to be the exclusive retail seller of the album, but there was no point of sale display announcing its release, no row of CDs in the new releases section, etc. There were about five copies of it in the Guns 'n' Roses section with nothing to distinguish it from anything else in the catalog. Pretty sad that the exclusive US retailer seems to be dumping it like rotten vegetables on the day of release.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home