Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot another Led Zep Box
Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 9, 2008 23:54

It's their secong 'complete studio album' box, due Nov 1. Anybody know anything about the remastering, who's doing it, any other details?

Re: ot another Led Zep Box
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2008 00:28

I have the first one, and love it. I'd gotten it to replace all of my cassettes!
The remastering on them is fantastic for 1990 (1993?).

Very unlikely that I'd buy another.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 10, 2008 01:13

I guess with Robert's response to a tour, Jimmy saw millions being flushed down the toilet, so he felt he had to do something.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 10, 2008 02:09

Maybe it will sound better but damn it, just turn on any classic rock station. Who needs to own one Zep album?

Date: October 10, 2008 02:28

True, and radio turned them into wallpaper, so I have be in the right mood to hear it fresh. Playing "Presence", a favorite of mine. The band's songwriting finally compelling, and dark. No cheesy keyboards, just Page in control of the sound.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 10, 2008 05:52

A remastering of the whole catalog was in order. Personally, I can't wait to hear 'em.

As great as the catalog sounded at the time the first box sets were released nearly twenty years ago, remastering technology has come a long way since then. I also suspect that this project has been in the works since prior to the Mothership set last year. Mothership was the taste; now we get the Motherlode!

I don't listen to the radio for music and haven't for decades. So I can enjoy them on my own terms.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2008 06:03

I hear you about radio, baxlap.
In this day and age it's not necessary.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 10, 2008 21:40

So Baxlap any thoughts re sound of "Motherload"??? I agree there is room for improvement since the '94 box, tho I fear an xmas procetag...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 10, 2008 21:57

Makes one wonder...if Zep is still putting out box sets...the Stones...Universal...along with all the other box sets out there...couldn't hurt. As long as it's not Licks with 10 CDs of the SAME SONGS AGAIN!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 10, 2008 22:17

Hmm -- I have the first two original-issue box sets, which are pretty definitive. My guess is that Jimmy is gonna reissue these with current-style "beefed-up" sound, a la "Motherload". I can do the same by recording the originals to my PC, and using tools such as the free "DFX Audio Enhancement", which is simply a very good frequency/volume booster. In other words, it's an EQ on steroids.

Date: October 10, 2008 22:18

too bad, bassplayer. I just want to hear the closest thing to the master.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 10, 2008 22:25

john r
too bad, bassplayer. I just want to hear the closest thing to the master.

John, if you have the original-issue box sets, that's the closest you're gonna get. Personally, I think they were magnificent, but folks like me tend to listen to music on their PCs and in their cars. The old living-room stereo, at least in my household, no longer exists. That has been replaced by a home-theater setup, which is great for DVD/VHS tapes/TV, but frankly falls short in playing regular audio CDs, unless the CD is mixed in 5.1 surround.

I will say that I listened to the 5.1 "Devils and Dirt" (Springsteen), and on the home theater it sounded excellent. It's as if you are in the middle of the studio, with the band set up around you.

Hmm -- IF Jimmy is thinking about doing something of this nature, incorporating 5.1, then it could be an awesome experience. The technology exists, and Mr.Page is known for pushing the envelope, so,,,

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-10 22:38 by bassplayer617.

Date: October 11, 2008 00:51

hmmm, I got rid of the early boxes 1 & 2 when the later ('97??) reissues came out, if it's those first (?) cd editions you're praising...Why not someone like Steve Hoffman, Dan Hersch, or Bob Irwin do these. Or Eddie Kramer, worked a bit with Zep and remastered the Hendrix (poat '97) remasters based on having been present at the Creation.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: October 11, 2008 04:05

I'd only get new Zeppelin remasters if they add a bonus disc of material for each album. Zep recorded a lot and I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff that can be put on there.

Date: October 11, 2008 04:28

First box, 2 BBC songs & a b-side, 2nd box set, one outtake from the debut. Then all four rarities together on complete studio box !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1427
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home