Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'73 clip - new mix?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 4, 2008 18:25

I've always loved this. Three questions:

1. Is the mix different than other versions of this clip?

2. What show is this from?

3. Was the whole show shot?

Re: '73 clip - new mix?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 4, 2008 19:29

It's from the 2nd Frankfurt show of 09/30/73......both Frankfurt shows were top notch - but as you can hear Jagger is a bit worn out for the final song of that Frankfurt run.
As far as we know, only SFM was filmed....but you never know. Looks like typical TV footage though...not too many angles; so I really doubt they filmed the whole show.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 4, 2008 19:30

what's weird, is it's clearly one static camera set up--but why would they wait for the last song of the set to start taping, you know?

Date: October 4, 2008 19:35

Sounds like he was practicing for '75! Oh! and that organ! Christ! Refugees from a roller rink!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: October 4, 2008 19:43

hbwriter
what's weird, is it's clearly one static camera set up--but why would they wait for the last song of the set to start taping, you know?

Well it is a bit strange...they usually broadcast the opening song. Allthough in Munich 73; 2 days prior to Frankfurt, they broadcasted Brown Sugar, GS and SFM....so there's a better chance of Munich 73 being available more complete in some TV-vault.

In 1981/1982 - the local TV channels broadcasted Under My Thumb/Let's SPend The Night Together....in 1989/1990; "Start Me Up/Sad Sad Sad...in 1994/1995 it was Not Fade Away/You Got Me Rocking...but for some reason, Jagger thought Street Fighting Man would rock the Germans in 1973

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 4, 2008 20:04

Erik_Snow
hbwriter

Well it is a bit strange...they usually broadcast the opening song. Allthough in Munich 73; 2 days prior to Frankfurt, they broadcasted Brown Sugar, GS and SFM....so there's a better chance of Munich 73 being available more complete in some TV-vault.

Erik, I've never seen that Munich '73 footage and have been looking for it for sometime. Any clue as to where I can find it?

This is also a longer version of the Frankfurt '73 clip than I have seen before. The versions that I have seen are all cut off before Jagger brings out the water buckets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-04 20:11 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 4, 2008 20:44

Did this ever air? For all we know it's dug-up unsed footage.
Imagine not knowing the song and trying to transcribe the lyrics from this version??

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 4, 2008 20:51

Yeah - that was my second Rolling Stones gig I attended.
the first one was just a few hours earlier smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: russr ()
Date: October 4, 2008 23:07

The music is clearly not exactly synced to the footage.

Looks like someone did a pretty good job of putting a good mix together with this clip. great to watch.

Date: October 4, 2008 23:29

Tumblin_Dice_07
Erik, I've never seen that Munich '73 footage and have been looking for it for sometime. Any clue as to where I can find it?

I'm looking for it as well, Matt. Unlike Street Fighting Man from Frankfurt - it hasn't been re-broadcasted. The audio is available though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-04 23:31 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 4, 2008 23:34

jamesfdouglas
Did this ever air? For all we know it's dug-up unsed footage.

It was aired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-04 23:40 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 5, 2008 01:42

Jaggers village store! lol

And I remember those water showers very good!

I always liked the Munich footage! Keith is going really berserk! This didn't happen very often.
The footage was first screened in a German youth programm.
TV stations were only allowed to screen the first 2 and/or last 2 numbers.Well, up to.
I have so many memories on both 73 and 76 tour.
On both tours I worked for the German promoter on many dates . .

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2008 01:50

my christmas wish is the complete dvd of this show from frankfurt 73, i wont ever ask for anything ever again, let me have this

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 5, 2008 20:13

That clip is a absolute gem. IMO that performance rivals the famous Wembley version of that song. Both Frankfurt shows are fabulous and the audio recordings are wonderful. Taylor is clear and strong in the mix. You can hear every note he plays. At the end of JJF Taylor is sitting on the wah-wah (I think) and sustaining and bending a note all through the transition to SFM. A very nice musical link of the songs. Listen to those harmonics he hits at the end. One of my favorite Stones boots and I was thrilled when I saw this video of THAT performance. A compelling performance, indeed!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 5, 2008 21:14

....fantastic footage....frenetic pace.....fierce.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 6, 2008 00:25

Mick Taylor is definitely using a Colorsound fuzz-wah for this gig!

Date: October 6, 2008 03:47

Erik_Snow
Tumblin_Dice_07

I'm looking for it as well, Matt. Unlike Street Fighting Man from Frankfurt - it hasn't been re-broadcasted. The audio is available though.

That sucks. I have the audio of it and it's quite good.

Did anybody see the VH-1 Behind The Music for the year 1972? They had a segment on the Stones '72 North American tour and they showed some footage of the band playing "Brown Sugar" from a couple of different gigs. Strangely, neither gig appeared to be from the '72 tour. One of them was the Nicaraguan Earthquake Benefit on 1/18/73 in Los Angelos. That footage can be found on youtube. The other one appears to be from the '73 European tour. I say this because Jagger was wearing an outfit that I've never seen in any '72 photos and because I remember the keyboard player having an afro haha! But it only showed a few seconds of the clip. I'm wondering if this could have been the Munich footage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-06 03:49 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Date: October 6, 2008 04:40

Tumbin', I have that VH1 special on VHS in my living room. I'm sitting here avoiding folding laundry and changing my sheets. It's hellish when you move out and your mom doesn't do that stuff anymore. I better get used to it, though... I'm gonna be 50 in Feb. Where was I? Oh yes, that special covers the Boston bust in good detail as well.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: October 6, 2008 04:47

If you watch the MSG '72 SFM you'll notice that Mick takes better care to enunciate. It seems he was out of breath and just exhausted a year and a half later in Europe. So many of those shows sound below average that I have a hard time enjoying them unless I'm drinking beer and swallowing sedatives. Then they sound fanTAStic!smileys with beereye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2008 05:06

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: October 6, 2008 06:12

Tumblin_Dice_07

The other one appears to be from the '73 European tour. I say this because Jagger was wearing an outfit that I've never seen in any '72 photos and because I remember the keyboard player having an afro haha! But it only showed a few seconds of the clip. I'm wondering if this could have been the Munich footage?

Possibly. Portions of Brussels were filmed as well, according to Nico's site: [www.nzentgraf.de] .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 6, 2008 06:53

Wow, that's awful. Both Mick's are terrible in that! What is Mick T doing? And yeah, Jagger sounds like he's rehearsing for the 75-76 tours...

Posted by: RITA ()
Date: October 6, 2008 13:24

thumbs up
I love STM and in this video Mick is fantastic....!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 6, 2008 13:39

The best guitarsound I've ever heard.

Date: October 6, 2008 14:38

The Menace of Mayfair
Tumbin', I have that VH1 special on VHS in my living room. I'm sitting here avoiding folding laundry and changing my sheets. It's hellish when you move out and your mom doesn't do that stuff anymore. I better get used to it, though... I'm gonna be 50 in Feb. Where was I? Oh yes, that special covers the Boston bust in good detail as well.

Yeah I used to have that on VHS myself. Probably still do, somewhere. I think the clip of "Brown Sugar" that I'm talking about is the one they show at the conclusion of the Boston drama. Kevin White talks about the band hitting the stage and the Garden exploding with energy and they show a few seconds of the band playing "Brown Sugar". I believe that version of "Brown Sugar" actually comes from the '73 European tour. I looked all over youtube for it last night but couldn't find anything.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 7, 2008 03:57

The original Munich screening had long part of B. Sugar and SFM.
So could well be from Munich.

Has SFM from that date been on YouToube? Always liked Keith' moves on that one!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 7, 2008 10:44

To me this is one example of a bad '73 show...There where some very good shows in '73, but some of them where real dogs, like most German shows (Berlin ranks among the best though).

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 7, 2008 12:24

I agree that this isn't the best moment of Europe '73, but during those glory days even the worst nights were pretty interesting. They were such a hot unit then that they just couldn't do (much) wrong. Seemingly Mick "acid" Taylor goes psychedelic there...and Keith, he just keeps that rhythm down-down-down... Like mentioned here, the Jagger '75 is in its process to be born...

Perhaps this is an anachronism but somehow I got the feeling by watching that clip, and listening some of their '73 shows, that the band in its wonderful superb 1969 based Taylor-form has run out of its creative gas and the signs of cheap theatrics, frustration and boredom are to be heard. That can also be heard in GOATS HEAD SOAP and especially in IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL album.

- Doxa

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 7, 2008 16:00

God that was awful. Whats with all the noodling at the end??

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 7, 2008 16:14

Which song was Mick Taylor playing in that clip? Could have been anyone.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home