Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: '73 clip - new mix?
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 7, 2008 17:40

It's the closing song of the show folks. They are going for a mind-blow and that's what you get. It's designed to run the audience over like a truck. Listen to the horns during many of the '73 SFM performances. They are absolutely daffy. Taylor's playing is chaotic and borders on dissonance. Keith's strumming his ass off. Perhaps you just had to be there at the time. But I think its powerful and wonderful. And, yes, it does not have the turgid impact of "weaving."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 7, 2008 17:47

Taylor was not a sympathetic guitar player by any means.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 7, 2008 18:14

"And, yes, it does not have the turgid impact of "weaving.""

Eh?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:07

come on, this clip must be taken in context-it's the finale to a complex, fiery, creative show; an explosion of 70s glitter and glam that put bowie, T Rex and the Dolls all to shame in one colorful blast--

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:09

Oh, thats pushing things abit. Bowie was on top of his game during this time.;...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:32

Mathijs
To me this is one example of a bad '73 show...There where some very good shows in '73, but some of them where real dogs, like most German shows (Berlin ranks among the best though).
Mathijs

I respect you, Mathijs. But how do you know this? You've been there?
I saw most of those shows. Some were bummers, but many were quite good!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 7, 2008 19:53

<<"And, yes, it does not have the turgid impact of "weaving.""

Eh?>>

Translation: Weaving to me is a musical bore. This performance is anything but. Taylor's playing a certain style to fit a moment. It works becasue he knows what he's doing and what he's trying to achieve. In that respect he is in cahoots with the rest of the band. If you don't like it, fine, but it is a style of playing that is a choice and not in anyway a limitation of talent.

I do not understand how anyone can call this show a bad one. On this night Taylor from the first notes of BS has "live fingers." As for Jagger's out of breath singing, yeah, it's sloppy and it can be overdone. But his later singing style with its smooth pronunciation sounds sterile to me. I liked it better when he spit out the words.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:32

okay, maybe not bowie--still, great as Rono was, I think the Spiders were lightweight compared to the sheer fury of the Stones--

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:35

pmk251
Listen to the horns during many of the '73 SFM performances. They are absolutely daffy. Taylor's playing is chaotic and borders on dissonance. Keith's strumming his ass off.

It also should be mentioned that Frankfurt was the first concert of the 1973 tour after Bobby Keys had disappeared - so at least one of the hornplayers had never played Street Fighting Man before.....if you lsiten to the first Frankfurt show; it's a mighty strange saxophone-solo!

I agree with Mathijs that a lot of the German concerts were beyond average - for instance Munich and Hamburg - but Frankfurt rocks quite a lot better than other German shows in my book.....with the exception of Berlin, which is even better.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:34

I know this has been said for some time now.

But I assume most people only judge from bootlegs!
IT's often different when you've been there in the flesh.

But I've seen it both ways: bad gigs- nice boots!
Great gigs- horrible boots!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:40

CousinC
I know this has been said for some time now.

But I assume most people only judge from bootlegs!
IT's often different when you've been there in the flesh.

But I've seen it both ways: bad gigs- nice boots!
Great gigs- horrible boots!

Hmmmm - so you are not able to get past the soundquality to hear what's being played....
Excellent recordings of poor gigs still leaves me stranded, while distant and poor recordings can be a thrill. Never heard a "bad gig - nice boot".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 00:45 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 8, 2008 01:23

see the stones can be awful even with taylor. lol, although i think the performance is great, i was just responding to some of the posts that are anti this clip

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 9, 2008 01:35

Well his constant noodling over Jagger's 'singing' is, to me, just a terrible display of musicianship and shows no sympathy for the melody line. He was obviously bored and just fu*cking off the entire time playing it by the numbers because he could - with Keith whacked out, why bother?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 10, 2008 01:03

CousinC
Mathijs
To me this is one example of a bad '73 show...There where some very good shows in '73, but some of them where real dogs, like most German shows (Berlin ranks among the best though).
Mathijs

I respect you, Mathijs. But how do you know this? You've been there?
I saw most of those shows. Some were bummers, but many were quite good!

How do I know this? As all and any of you: listen to the available tapes, and you hear some shows were quite bad, some were good, and some were terrific. I don't see anything new in this...

Mathijs

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: October 11, 2008 05:41

Was Bobby Keys off the tour by this time? It looks like there are three horn players. I'm sure Jim Price is one of them, who are the other two?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home