Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Country, Reggae, Outtakes: Your favourite concept for a Stones collection
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:00

I'm sure most of us have spent numerous moments creating conceptes for their very own Stones collections. Not a greatest hits set, but rather some personal favourites or, slightly more ambitious, a thematic collection, drawing upon the many styles and facets of the Stones' work.

What's your suggestion for a Stones collection?

Among the more obvious concepts I'd go for a Country flavoured compilation, combining released tracks like Dead Flowers and Faraway Eyes with unreleased cuts like Yello Cab/Do You Think I Really Care or No Spare Parts.

An interesting approach (at least IMO) would be a tribute compilation, presenting cover versions of favourite Stones outtakes. Just like Dylan's Basement tapes the Stones' own pool of unreleased work would make a promising springboard for other artists, putting their own stamp on the material and releasing it's full potential.

Re: Country, Reggae, Outtakes: Your favourite concept for a Stones collection
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:17

"The reggae influence"
"The punk influence"
"The country influence"
"The funk influence"
"The soul influence"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 8, 2008 18:58

I think the best genre comp that could actually be done even on a commercial level would be a blues comp. At least of officially released tracks.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2008 19:03

skipstone
I think the best genre comp that could actually be done even on a commercial level would be a blues comp. At least of officially released tracks.

Now that is what I call a genious idea! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 8, 2008 19:10

Anything but that insipid, mind-numbing four to the floor rock beat that they have been using since Steel Wheels. I listened to Bridges To Babylon again the other day and I'm sorry but it's generally crap. The sound of a band trying to fit in within today's rock sound but sounding like tired old men. A Bigger Bang is more of the same but gave us a glimmer of hope that they will return to form in the back to basics sound of Back Of My Hand. Unfortunately it was a one off.

Slow the tempo down boys. Let the music breathe a bit. Let's hear some mistakes, feedback. Get rid of that nasty clean sound, full of studio 'air'. And no horrible keyboards to augment the sound either. Remember - less is more.

So having said that, yes I'd like a return to a roots sound - some reggae with a deep, groove to it; country with some lovely pedal steel from Ronnie; a blues stomper; some rough and ready r'n'b. God, you'd think it be easy for them to do? They've had enough experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-09 16:43 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 8, 2008 20:32

Date: October 9, 2008 11:30

"The reggae influence"
"The punk influence"
"The country influence"
"The funk influence"
"The soul influence"

Yeah, as obvious as these are, every concept would make for a great compilation. Why not combine four of them in a 4-CD box set "Under The Influence..." placing Keith and Gram Parsons on the cover, with additional pics of Mick and Billy Preston, Mick and James Brown etc. elsewhere?

Date: October 9, 2008 11:52

latvianinexile
[www.iorr.org]

Nice hint. Thank you!
Just goes to show the most interesting tracks with these kind of compilations are the less obvious choices, when you suddenly spot a different element within a song, detecting styles and influences you'd never noticed before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-09 11:59 by Greenblues.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 9, 2008 12:10

I forgot "The gospel influence"

Basically The Rolling Stones are a blues band who play rock'n'roll, so IMO we don't need a "blues influence" collection.
Doxa's work shows very well that. Blues is tha fundamentum with rock'n'roll.Can't wait for the bootleg blues part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2222
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home