Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What's the RAREST Stones record you ever bought...
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:25

That Flowers UK export, wow. Why is it on the Decca label? Wouldn't it of still been on London?

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:51

stoned in washington dc

Upon its initial pressing (Nov. 18, 1971), alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were included on the Hot Rocks master plate. These versions first appeared in the brilliant 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter. Since there was no clear reference to their origin on the album cover, sleeve or label, one must look at the trail-off vinyl (the smooth vinyl located nearest the disc label) and look for the word Shelley and the date 11-18-71.

I seriously doubt these are the versions heard in the movie "Gimme Shelter"
The Brown Sugar on the Hot Rocks mispressing seems like a one-off version, not the one in the movie.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:53

Big Al
That Flowers UK export, wow. Why is it on the Decca label? Wouldn't it of still been on London?

Because it was made in UK only as a export to other European countries, mainly Scandinavia and Holland I think.

The stereo version is more common, but the mono version is really hard to find.

Date: October 8, 2008 13:54

gimme_shelter
stoned in washington dc

Upon its initial pressing (Nov. 18, 1971), alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were included on the Hot Rocks master plate. These versions first appeared in the brilliant 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter. Since there was no clear reference to their origin on the album cover, sleeve or label, one must look at the trail-off vinyl (the smooth vinyl located nearest the disc label) and look for the word Shelley and the date 11-18-71.

I seriously doubt these are the versions heard in the movie "Gimme Shelter"
The Brown Sugar on the Hot Rocks mispressing seems like a one-off version, not the one in the movie.

I agree. The guitar intro sounds different than any other.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 8, 2008 15:52

Allegedly it was a limited edition Russian import CD of Metamorphisis......looking back I think it was just a bootleg copy.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 8, 2008 16:35

Promo copy of England's newest hitmakers
Songs ofthe Rolling stones
And some acetates...

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: October 8, 2008 17:04

I don't know if it's rare but that's the original LP that I bought in the sixties

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 9, 2008 01:44

Big Al

Yes, it was, but Not pressed in US....Pressed in UK for export to JAPAN....RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARE!

JR

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 9, 2008 02:35

Sod all, apart from a hundred or so vinyl bootlegs and the 3D cover version of Satanic Majesties.

Date: October 9, 2008 02:42

stone-relics
Big Al

Yes, it was, but Not pressed in US....Pressed in UK for export to JAPAN....RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARE!

JR

Wow, what a beauty, that one is virtually impossible to find!

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 9, 2008 09:33

It was the live album "Have you seen your mother live". I bought it in Copenhagen in 1968 and I thought it was strange that an album, for the US market only (?) were released by Decca with another title and only released in a few countries??

Mats

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: October 9, 2008 10:31

Greatest Hits only in Holland - Philips Records. second album in The Netherlands 1964 . Rare .

Date: October 9, 2008 19:32

Have You Seen Your Mother Live, is a tough one. Still looking for a Stock Mono copy. I have a demo, but havent seen a mono available in stock.

JR

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 9, 2008 19:35

Where on earth do you find this stuff????

I got Decembers Children USA import with Got it live as the back cover??

Date: October 9, 2008 19:53

ablett
Where on earth do you find this stuff????

I got Decembers Children USA import with Got it live as the back cover??

Hours and hours (for about 20 years) a day. Before the web, hitting shops, thrift shops, etc, Goldmine, Discovery Magazines, staying in touch with other collectors, and now with the web, Ebay, and other auction sites. "Its Not Easy"....

JR

Posted by: jazwec ()
Date: October 9, 2008 20:00

Bought for 60 bucks on eBay...great deal!

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: October 9, 2008 21:43

Jazwec,

I hate to burst your bubble but that is a $5 album that has been ruined with a black marker. They are all very average attempts at the Stones autographs. Real sets are also just not that cheap (unless you get them yourself and that isn't free if you count the expenses and the many many hours or waiting - but I would do it all again and again)

I can't find it but I have done a thread on this before. I have collected 100's of autographs myself from the Stones over the last 10 years so am relatively well placed to comment on more modern sets. If you want me to post examples and explain again I am more than happy to. Fake autographs are one of the things that make my blood boil...

Matt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-09 21:48 by mattleeuk.

Date: October 10, 2008 03:28

Sad you had rain on a parade, but, I guess it needs to be done...

JR

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: October 10, 2008 12:57

stone-relics
Big Al

JR

It's up on Ebay again and I think not for the first time in the last few months. Is it really that rare? I find the UK DECCA Mono edition much harder to come by.

silkcut

Posted by: Pussy Whips ()
Date: October 10, 2008 13:13

Rarities (on a little silver disc)

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: October 10, 2008 16:24

My vinyl collection has been in storage for ages, so I'm not sure. Nothing really rare, but I bought the Decca colored vinyl LPs when they came out. I have an orignal vinyl boot of "Live 'R". I remembering buying the Spanish Sticky Fingers when I was a kid and it felt like it cost me a fortune!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 10, 2008 21:26

Wow, not many rarities in my house, but here's a few I trasure:
Creation, a German 45 with colour picture sleeve of group Ron Wood on the right.
Japanese pressings of ER, TY, Undercover, IORR (superior inevery case). Dutch SG.
The Mobile Fidelity Box from 1984. Even w. the 2002 Abkcos, still worthy for mono early albums and deep, deep soundstage on Ya Yas...Also an exquisite BB.
Various Atlantic/RS singles I bought from 1971 - 84 or so, the UK 'Let it Rock', Keith's late '78 single, relevenbt 12 inchers (Undercover)
The useless but nicely jacketed "Fan Club" "album" (7' interview disc, various effluvia, dump poster, etc), from 1984.
1st pressings "Beck-Ola" (promo), and Faces' Nod...Wink with the enormous poster too unwieldy to fully unfold but a glimpse discloses otherwise unprinted track by track personnel info!!!
Keith's "Eileen" ep

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 11, 2008 01:00

I've continued to wok occasionally AT A Cambridge used record store - my belief this is where the future is, in record stores. What I found most disconcerting is that other outlets with used recordings (Newbury Comix for one) don't put them out but sell on ebay or amazon...The record store seems destined to go the way of the indie book store.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 11, 2008 08:09

1965 Interviews:

An Italian compilation that must've come out in 81 but all the songs are from the mid-60s. It comes with a great 12 page booklet:

The B-side to Memo from Turner is Natural Magic!

Date: October 11, 2008 15:13

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 12, 2008 00:51

well, one of the rarest records I bought was a Stone Age Made In UK on London Records....
Sold only in Japan and made in very limited amount.
Not an expensive one, but rare.....

That is the nice thing with vinyl collecting, the rarest ones are not always the most expensive ones

Or this one

That has a vinyl looking like this inside:

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-12 01:23 by Jan Richards.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 13, 2008 19:00

Official: A new pressing of the GOT LIVE IF YOU WANTED EP

Non-official: NASTY MUSIC (SODD-012) Original, bought in 1977 ...blew my socks off, but I was so stupid to take it to a party where there was a huge scratch in Midnight rambler. Later on, I sold it.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 14, 2008 16:07

I don't know how rare these three are, but I have the Decca Flowers, the Five by five EP in Stereo, and a maxi-single Everybody needs somebody to love in Stereo.

Mats

Date: October 14, 2008 17:24

Unboxed Decca Mono Flowers are pretty rare, just no where in the league of the London FFRR Flowers. 1982 Re-ish of 5x5 in true stereo is pretty hard to get. Seems strange as its so recent, but I imagine that not that many people bought them. The re-ish Yugoslavian 5x5 is ALSO in true stereo.

JR

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 14, 2008 19:05

Mine would be the rare Out Of Tears 5 track CD single, that appeared in France while being cancelled in the UK

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home