Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: What's the RAREST Stones record you ever bought...
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 15, 2008 02:06

I still have an original Reel to Reel tape of Their Satanic Majesty's Request and the 3D box it came in. The Nakamichi reel to reel tape machine gave up the ghost a LONG time ago.

CBII

Posted by: vinyldisc ()
Date: October 16, 2008 15:00

Greetings. Nice web site. My first post.

I was searching for info on a record I recently obtained in a bulk lot purchase
from an ex record store employee. Sometimes ya get lucky.

Rolling Stones
Hot Rocks (1964-71) Anthology
LONDON STEREO LP (Double Album) 2PS-606/7
· Original U.S. Pressing

· MISPRESSING: ALTERNATE TAKES OF SONGS, "BROWN SUGAR" AND "WILD HORSES"

· DATE STAMP IN THE TRAIL-OFF VINYL (DEAD WAX) OR SIDE FOUR IS: 11-18-71

· INCLUDES ORIGINAL “211 REASONS WHY THE ROLLING STONES ARE THE WORLD’S GREATEST ROCK BAND” INSERT.

· BLUE LONDON LABEL WITH SILVER SCRIPT.
From wwwhat I have found, here is data on the mispressing...

Who Is "Shelley"?

Could it be a reference to famed poet Percy Shelley? or the Rolling Stones' French press agent June Shelley? In fact, it's neither. This notation is indicative of an item from the Shelley Products Ltd. pressing plant (closed in the mid-1980's) of Long Island, NY, and it makes a big difference on the double-album Hot Rocks 1964-1971.

Upon its initial pressing (Nov. 18, 1971), alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were included on the Hot Rocks master plate. These versions first appeared in the brilliant 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter. Since there was no clear reference to their origin on the album cover, sleeve or label, one must look at the trail-off vinyl (the smooth vinyl located nearest the disc label) and look for the word Shelley and the date 11-18-71.

Shelley

The identifying mark is not easy to locate or read, but the mystery does not end if and when it is found. It seems that this "alternate pressing" was soon pulled in favor of a set which contained the single versions of Sugar and Horses. However, Shelley wasn't quite done, as the name reappeared for a short time afterwards with either a later date, or no date at all.

The original Shelley 11-18-71, with the alternate takes, may fetch $1000 USd. A second pressing with the word Shelley and with or without a later date, will still get you double ($25-30) a regular pressing ($12-15). Thus far, reports of 11-18-71, 12-3-71, and 12-6-71 have been clearly identified.

One final note on determination - you should find Shelley on all four sides of the 2-disc set, but the date (if there is one) of 11-18-71 need only be on side four. It is possible to come across a set that has that specific date on any of the other three sides except the fourth, yet that is meaningless. The names will often not be written in the same manner, though it is more common to see script, there are editions that have Shelley in block print.

[www.beatzenith.com]

auctions: highest example i could find... many auction examples for lower amounts.
[www.popsike.com]

more recent auctions:
[www.musicpriceguide.com]

It is merely my opinion, but price guides are loopy... however everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

From another forum:

That version was only in print for about two weeks before they corrected it.

I've been looking for an "affordable" copy of that for at least 12 years. I've looked at some 200+ copies. Ain't found one yet...

I think it's far rarer than the Rolling Stones Promotional LP (RSD-1) of which supposedly only 200 copies were pressed...

GREAT FIND and I think the price guide may be a little optimistic, but not by much.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 15:38 by vinyldisc.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 22, 2008 11:23

I found another one...the "Exile on main street" promotion disc which came free with NME in april 1972.....

Mats

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 22, 2008 11:54

The US Bi-Centennial 75 Tour 3 vinyl album box set. In red, white and blue vinyl. Wasn't rare when I bought it in 75 but it sure as hell is now.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home