Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Daryl Jones is he a Rolling Stone or Not?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 12, 2015 19:02

treaclefingers
The Joker
Anita Pallenberg was considered somehow as being a Rolling Stone.

she was killer on cowbell for that htw intro.

I should have mentionnned: it' s Mick who allegedly said that to Bianca, when the two women were not getting along.

Not for music influence, but for other things, as lifestyle, etc.

Anyway, it was just to point out the relativism of the topic

I don't, and will never, consider Daryl as a Stone

But if for whatever reason, he would announce today he would not be part of Olé Tour, I say it's likely the Stones would not tour as schedule.

So does make him a Stone at the end of the day?

Date: December 12, 2015 22:00

And Matt Clifford....

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 12, 2015 22:12

If Daryl would quit, the Stones would find a reasonable substitute within two weeks and still carry on. They have replaced Bill Wyman, so they can without doubt replace Daryl Jones. Daryl is a fine player but not irreplaceable.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 12, 2015 23:00

HMS
If Daryl would quit, the Stones would find a reasonable substitute within two weeks and still carry on. They have replaced Bill Wyman, so they can without doubt replace Daryl Jones. Daryl is a fine player but not irreplaceable.

For a band who has replaced it's guitar players three times without a problem, that statement is both truthful and slightly ironic. Musically they could probably replace anybody but Mick and Keith, image-wise not so easy to replace the main four at this point, imo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2015 23:07

Seeing the only one person has quit the Stones it's a stretch to say something as ignorant as HMS did. But then he manages to stretch that out beyond all possibilities anyway with his usual bunk about DIRTY WORK.

Darryl is as much of a Rolling Stone as anyone else has ever been - and unfortunately that includes Mr Plinky Plinks. Of course Darryl will never be known as an official Rolling Stone since that's now and has been since 1991 just four people.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 01:26

Are we talking about whether he is part of the band or whether he is a rolling stone in the way that, say, "my papa was a rolling stone"
He is obviously part of the band. Simple test: when they say they are touring South America no one asks "who is going to play bass for them" everyone knows. Because he is in the band.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 13, 2015 01:31

Yes, the only time that question would have been asked (was it?) is for the B2B tour since he barely (not at all? too late to check tonight) played on B2B, like CL actually...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 13, 2015 01:33

GasLightStreet
Seeing the only one person has quit the Stones

Well I can think of at least two..Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman and that's not including sidemen who may or may not have quit for various reasons. Certainly Lisa is saying it was her choice to not play with them this time around.

Besides we never got a chance to really hear Brian's side of the story...for all we know he said something like "Well cock, you can't fire me because I bloody quit!" smoking smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:01

I miss Bill Wyman. Daryl is great but he will never be a Rolling Stone

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:09

Turner68
Are we talking about whether he is part of the band or whether he is a rolling stone...

The answer's in the title of the discussion.

Olly.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:23

Joseph Nicholas "Joey" Spampinato [Keith's bass player in "Hail, Hail Rock & Roll"] is the guy who would have been my choice of bass player when Bill left.
Darryl is maybe hip but the wrong choice for The Rolling Stones. He simply doesn't fit. I was sorry to hear that Mr Spampinato is undergoing treatment for cancer.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:24

No, he is NOT. Does not have the lifetime experience, the looks, the charisma and does not have everything Mick,Mick,Charlie,ronnie,and keef have.

Jeroen

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 02:28

Olly
Turner68
Are we talking about whether he is part of the band or whether he is a rolling stone...

The answer's in the title of the discussion.

Right.... and "Stray Cat Blues" is about a sad, lost tabby that Mick found outside Olympic Studios one rainy day....

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: December 13, 2015 03:33

Perhaps an interesting sidebar for some... I believe Bill Wyman says that when he quit, he put it to Mick, Keith and Charlie to make Ronnie Wood a "full" member on the business end (for those proceeds that are, and were, split 4 ways).

Now, perhaps this isn't true or Bill exaggerates his part in this, or The Glimmers would have done it anyway, since they didn't stand to lose percentage wise anything they weren't prepared to do so with Wyman still in the band.... but anyway, for what its worth.... Would Ronnie STILL be on salary had Bill not left? I don't know..

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 03:40

Amused
14 years, not 20. He's been with them since 1994.
He's just not as important as the big four...

Might want to check that math.

Rod

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2015 11:58

I think in some aspects of the business set up, even now, Ronnie is not included.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 13, 2015 13:26

He's a hired-hand. Along with Chuck Leavell and Bernard Fowler, he's a component of their touring ensemble. He's a backup musician. Certainly, his role is a primary one, but he clearly isn't a Rolling Stone. Why is this even debateable?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 13, 2015 13:31

Big Al
He's a hired-hand. Along with Chuck Leavell and Bernard Fowler, he's a component of their touring ensemble. He's a backup musician. Certainly, his role is a primary one, but he clearly isn't a Rolling Stone. Why is this even debateable?

This is a very good summary. There is nothing to add!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 13, 2015 17:52

No, he isn't. The people who take the final bow are Rolling Stone's and in the current line up that's four of them.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2015 17:59

not sure about Daryl, but certainly papa was a rolling stone.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 19:02

stoneMe
Sorry if this has been disgust here before.

Can anyone tell me Why Daryl Jones is not considered A True Member of the Rolling Stones? Afterall he`s played bass for them for nearly 20 years give or take a year or two, That`s more than Brian Jones and Mick Taylor put together yet he`s still treated like an outsider when it comes to Official photo`s or Merchandice. It just seems abit wrong to me.

Just wanted to know how other Stones fans see it
No. and never will be

Date: December 13, 2015 19:31

Big Al

I think you answered you own question Al. Obviously he isn't a Rolling Stone but any debate or controversy is based on the fact that with a primary role perhaps he should be. Maybe the title to this thread would be better worded as "should he be a Rolling Stone or not?", or "Is Darryl Jones a member of the Rolling Stones?".

The same question could have been asked about Ronnie pre-1990, Just reading his Wiki article you have such statements as:

"Richards soon invited Wood to join the Rolling Stones, after the departure of Mick Taylor. Wood joined in 1975 and has remained a member ever since."

"In 1990 Wood was made a fully fledged partner in the Rolling Stones' financial organisation."

Date: December 13, 2015 19:38

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Seeing the only one person has quit the Stones

Well I can think of at least two..Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman and that's not including sidemen who may or may not have quit for various reasons. Certainly Lisa is saying it was her choice to not play with them this time around.

Besides we never got a chance to really hear Brian's side of the story...for all we know he said something like "Well cock, you can't fire me because I bloody quit!" smoking smiley

Shit. You're right.

Well hell. Although Wyman technically quit he did it after it mattered. And they left his name in the legal proceedings. He merely... faded away. It was a good time for him to leave: the downward slide had been in heavy commencement since 1985 and wouldn't stop going down to start back up until 1997, which would peak in 1999 and then start back down in 2005.

Date: December 13, 2015 19:39

SweetThing
Perhaps an interesting sidebar for some... I believe Bill Wyman says that when he quit, he put it to Mick, Keith and Charlie to make Ronnie Wood a "full" member on the business end (for those proceeds that are, and were, split 4 ways).

Now, perhaps this isn't true or Bill exaggerates his part in this, or The Glimmers would have done it anyway, since they didn't stand to lose percentage wise anything they weren't prepared to do so with Wyman still in the band.... but anyway, for what its worth.... Would Ronnie STILL be on salary had Bill not left? I don't know..

Ronnie was made a salaried member during the STEEL WHEELS tour. In some ways it could be viewed as Bill's last memorable act.

Date: December 13, 2015 20:21

Ronnie became an official member in 1991, no?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 13, 2015 21:00

jlowe
I think in some aspects of the business set up, even now, Ronnie is not included.

The ultimate level is a foundation for Mick J, Keith and Charlie offspring, to limit inheritance tax, I read..

Is it connectected to Promotone BV?

BTW, Promotone BV is presented in a funny way, according to Wikipedia
[en.wikipedia.org]

Promotone's headquarters is in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.[3] The company's activities are officially activities categorized as: environmental services, culture, recreation and other services

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 13, 2015 22:10

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie became an official member in 1991, no?

Well, Ronnie was a hired-hand on the U.S. tour in 1975 and, as you know, unveiled as Taylor's full-time replacement the following year. 1991 may have been when he was, well, I'm unsure. This is something to do with contracts and money, right? I'll stick with 1976.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 13, 2015 22:34

Darryl Jones (please 2 R's...Rock 'n' Roll) is a ROLLING STONE like WE all are here on IORR (I hope).
Darryl is more a ROLLING STONE playing live with THE ROLLING STONES 1994 until now and not so much a studio ROLLING STONE since 1993.

VOODOO LOUNGE: Darryl bass on most tracks.
BRIDGES TO BABYLON: ...........
LICKS SESSIONS: Darryl bass on most tracks.
A BIGGER BANG: ..........
"London Studio Sessions dec. 2015": ?............

Also...Darryl never got a songwriting credit...drinking smiley ... nor has Charlie ofcourse.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 22:39 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2015 22:42

The Joker
jlowe

The ultimate level is a foundation for Mick J, Keith and Charlie offspring, to limit inheritance tax, I read..

Is it connectected to Promotone BV?

BTW, Promotone BV is presented in a funny way, according to Wikipedia
[en.wikipedia.org]

Promotone's headquarters is in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.[3] The company's activities are officially activities categorized as: environmental services, culture, recreation and other services

Do our Netherlands based members have any financial details on how the fab 4's corporate affairs have been doing lately? Please and thankyou.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 23:04

Great player, who has done a good job in filling some big shoes. But he never has been, isn't nor ever will be a Rolling Stone. That's just the way it is.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home