Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hottest concert ticket in the last 10 years?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 21, 2008 20:56

The crush of sales for AC/DC shows is astounding--cities being sold in in a matter minutes, ebay sales in the immediate thousands for so-so seats--news stories to the fact, etc.

In everyone's estimation--does the demand for these seats constitute the hottest demand for tour tickets in the last 10 years? What else compares?

Re: Hottest concert ticket in the last 10 years?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 21, 2008 21:06

McCartney

Date: September 21, 2008 21:07

was as crazy as this?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 21, 2008 21:14

Well, I live in Detroit, and one of the things I like about it, as opposed to New York, where I used to live, is that normally, NOTHING ever sells out here. I don't care who it is, you can just walk up to the ticket window at show time and buy a seat, sometimes a really good seat. But Macca sold out here in 14 minutes or something like that.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 21, 2008 23:38

It was Van Halen, until reviews started coming in after the first few shows. The bands mgmt claims it was a sold out tour. Promoters lost money on the last leg.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: September 21, 2008 23:57

Stones any time they play their home - M Square Garden - NYC

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 22, 2008 00:03

I remember the days when the Stones would put on sale 2 dates for an 80,000 plus seat stadium show (adding 2 more upon sell out) and the lines for the ticketbastard outlet in the mall at Monkeywards or the May Co. was 3/4 around the shopping mall.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 22, 2008 00:17

I suspect that the Led Zeppelin reunion show from last December would have been the hottest concert ticket of the last ten years or the last twenty for that matter. People spent insane sums of money on tickets and flew in from "50 countries", according to Robert Plant, to be at that one.

Other than that, my guess is that any of several of the theatre shows from the Licks tour, the 2006 Stones shows at the Beacon, or the first round of Springsteen and the E Street Band reunion shows from 1999-2000 (15 nights at the Meadowlands followed by ten at Madison Square Garden less than a year later!), would be a distant second.

I have trouble believing that any AC/DC show is that hot of a ticket, even though they've sold more tickets than I would have guessed. I would think that anyone who wants a ticket bad enough will be able to go without breaking the bank if they wait for demand to drop after the initial rush. The fact that they sold out quickly isn't all that impressive: in the northeastern United States anyway, shows commonly sell out in a few minutes due to the internet. I suspect by showtime, scalper prices will be more reasonable.

Date: September 22, 2008 00:52

the world needs ac dc and has missed them.. demand is very high...and they are not playing that many shows (at least not yet..)

it is definetly one of the hottest tickets i can recall.... a lot of innovation being used in the distribution of tickets... lots to think about...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-22 00:53 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: September 22, 2008 00:59

The Stones in 72 with the postcards was crazy

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 22, 2008 01:42

Hannah Montanaconfused smiley

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 22, 2008 01:49

BluzDude
I remember the days when the Stones would put on sale 2 dates for an 80,000 plus seat stadium show (adding 2 more upon sell out) and the lines for the ticketbastard outlet in the mall at Monkeywards or the May Co. was 3/4 around the shopping mall.

when was that?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 22, 2008 02:51

therollingmanu
BluzDude

when was that?

1981 (sorry, not the last 10 years)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-22 03:37 by BluzDude.

Posted by: AussieGlimmer ()
Date: September 22, 2008 03:26

stones, enmore theatre, sydney 2003 licks

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 22, 2008 03:31

A ticket to the Tom Waits show in Chicago two years ago was a very hot commodity...

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: September 22, 2008 03:46

Led Zep - hands down.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 22, 2008 04:17

I"m not a huge Zep fan but I would say their one off gig in London was the hottest thing in a while.

Hard to call a Stones show a "hot" ticket as EVERY time they tour--it's a big deal. But there isn't ONE gig that is the hottest of them all or anything....Beacon?

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: September 22, 2008 04:42

AussieGlimmer

Spot On Aussie Glimmer.

Tix went in about 18 seconds.

Was lucky enough to be 2 heads back behind a lovely blonde a bit shorter than me when Keith burst out riffing to Midnight Rambler.

How do you beat that? You can't!!!!

Wouldn't have parted with that ticket for anything.

Ahh, The memories I can take with me from that night forever, Priceless as they say!

STONES @ ENMORE would have to be the one.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: September 22, 2008 05:08

AussieGlimmer

right on, I was there. $60 for a ticket if i recall correctly. Got through on the telephone and got two of the last tickets remaining.

Show opened with Midnight Rambler and featured a guest spot from Angus n Malcolm from ACDC and I sat only a few seats away from Marianne Faithful.

Too cool................

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: September 22, 2008 06:46

I was at enmore as well, at the front/middle on ronnies side. I was shaking when I got the tickets online. Flew from NZ to see the show with a few other kiwi stones mates. It was an amazing night and I ordered a great photo from one of the sydney papers showing the crowd and the stones on stage which I have framed on the wall. I got some great photos that night as well. sliverstones 69 I think I know the pretty blonde you are talking about as well. Let me know if you want me to email some photos from the show.

Cheers, Brendon

Date: September 22, 2008 07:03

Zep was a one off--i'm talking TOUR tickets

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:18

Thanks Brendon [masoudi], that would be fantastic if you could email any images of the Enmore gig, if it's no hassle.

That would be greatly appreciated mate.

You can get me at richard@hypermerchandising.com.au

Thanks again Brendon.

Rich

PS - When Ronnie came over to our side [I was right in front of Keith], he stopped & eyeballed me for about 30 seconds & we had a lip read conversation & a few nods & winks to each other. My mates asked me "what the hell were you 2 talking about?", and I could only shrug & mumble something that made no sense. My head was about to explode after that!! What a Ronnie memory from the ultimate night!

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:37

Hi Rich

I am at work at the moment so will email them when I am at home

Cheers, Brendon

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:38

Probably Led Zeppelin last year. I heard that there were 20.000 tickets and 20 million people was in the ballot where you'd get drawn out to see the show.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:52

AC/DC? Frankly, I'd rather see Motorhead. Saw 'em the other night in a club in Baltimore. Loud as hell, kicked everyone's ass! Got the new CD signed by the band at the pre-show in-store at Sound Garden in Fells Point.

Date: September 22, 2008 08:20

Off the top of my head in no particular order:

Stones "Licks" theater/club shows.
Stones "a Bigger Bang" Beacon shows.
Pink Floyd reunion @live eight.
Zepplin reunion @ O2.
Cream (4 shows) @ Royal Albert Hall.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: September 22, 2008 09:28

sweetcharmedlife
Hannah Montanaconfused smiley

Give that man a cigar!

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: September 22, 2008 12:44

Imagine, the Stones would announce a 2009/1010 stadium-tour, with a aconcept like Bigger Bang or Bridges, so maybe 100-120 shows. Also imagine, the ticketprices would be at about 50-70 € (I know, it is very unrealistic): how long would it take, to sell out all shows?

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: September 22, 2008 15:14

Stones - Shepherds Bush 1999
Concert for George (Harrison) - Royal Albert Hall 1992

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: September 22, 2008 15:19

see above

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home