Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Is Tony Sanchez still alive?
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 4, 2012 20:32

A complete blood change is impossible (if you want the patient to survive), the story sounds nice though.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: March 4, 2012 20:36

I don't think it was suggested in the quotes they had actual blood changes, but blood "cleaning" or something similiar...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2012 22:08

Tumblin_Dice_07
Yeah I think Tony comes across as being more articulate and comfortable in front of the camera than I would have guessed considering the comments from Keith and Marianne about him over the years. Lends some credibility to his book in my opinion, although I do think some of the dialogue is a bit questionable.

Anyway, I remember reading this thread a couple years ago and being quite surprised that nobody questioned this guy claiming to be Tony Sanchez's grandson. Maybe he really is Tony's grandson, I dunno. But I would need more proof than some guy's claim on a message board to believe him. No offense intended but I've seen plenty of outrageous, bogus claims on message boards over the years designed to generate attention.

Well I'm his great grandson and I resent your insinuation.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: March 5, 2012 04:07

First time I've seen this. Amazing video. After all these years, there he is (was), The Spanish Tony.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 5, 2012 05:23

Reagan
First time I've seen this. Amazing video. After all these years, there he is (was), The Spanish Tony.
Yeah - it's wild. I wasn't really familiar with him until I read Keith's book. As I've said before, I'm a fairly new fan. But as I watched "Spanish Tony," I couldn't help but feel there was some seedy about him. Maybe this is just a hangover from reading Life and thinking he was a traitor to Keith and the Stones. I guess I'm just a bit too loyal to Keith to be objective about Spanish Tony...Mike (husband) and I watched this video together as we're both Stones and Keith fans...in fact, my husband was a "real" fan in the 60's being 10 years older than I...However, we conjectured that perhaps we are a bit brainwashed by our vision of who we think the Stones are...Regardless, RIP Tony S.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 5, 2012 06:12

So Tony and Freddie are now together.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 5, 2012 09:00

memphiscats
Reagan
Yeah - it's wild. I wasn't really familiar with him until I read Keith's book. As I've said before, I'm a fairly new fan. But as I watched "Spanish Tony," I couldn't help but feel there was some seedy about him. Maybe this is just a hangover from reading Life and thinking he was a traitor to Keith and the Stones. I guess I'm just a bit too loyal to Keith to be objective about Spanish Tony...Mike (husband) and I watched this video together as we're both Stones and Keith fans...in fact, my husband was a "real" fan in the 60's being 10 years older than I...However, we conjectured that perhaps we are a bit brainwashed by our vision of who we think the Stones are...Regardless, RIP Tony S.

Yes, he does look shifty. When I was watching the video, I was thinking that it would be interesting to have someone view it who knows the body language and facial expressions associated with lying. But it could just be that he knows he is betraying his former friend and employer and feels guilty and/or afraid, or he knows that he has embellished the truth to sell his book, or that he knows that he has revealed some very gruesome and unsavoury details about himself in his book and exposed himself to the world's judgement.

The world he was living in - the combination of wealth, fame, youth and heroin addiction is very toxic.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 18:34

i am sure many things were not true but i had a lot of fun reading the book.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 5, 2012 19:52

Much of it is probably based on some truth, but like his comments in the interview about Brian being unable to play a note, much of it is also exaggerated.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 5, 2012 20:30

His Majesty
Much of it is probably based on some truth, but like his comments in the interview about Brian being unable to play a note, much of it is also exaggerated.

If I remember it well both Richards and Faithfull stated that most plain facts written in T.S' book were just the truth. Of course it's written in a juicy style that made the book a seller. Brian not being able to play a note may be the truth related to the standard Keith and Mick expected, whatever that may be.They wanted to protect their sound, that's for sure.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 5, 2012 20:38

Keith has said he only read a few chapters at random and as a dig said he gave up reading fairy tales long ago. Or something like that.

Basic facts being true doesn't really say much.

Mick has denied any knife fights happening between him and Brian.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 20:46 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 5, 2012 20:49

His Majesty

Mick has denied any knife fights happening between him and Brian.

That's right, Charlie punched Mick in the face, we don't need TS for that.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 6, 2012 12:46

Wow! Thanks for posting. That was completely riveting and fascinating. I saw it was 10 minutes and in my ADD-ish brain I was like, well, maybe I'll make it through 1/2 of it, but I didn't move a muscle throughout. This was a nice nit of history. Great addition to what we've seen and heard.

Like others, I had such a different picture of Spanish Tony in my head. He was a bit "shifty" here, but I agree with Bliss it's tough to say what the cause of that might be; afterall, he was sort of telling tales out of school in this interview. And doing that about the Rolling Stones takes some cajones and would be fairly thankless--particularly relatively soon after these things happened (Brian's death, Altamont, drug ab/use, Jamaica incident, etc).

I guess I'd imagined--as someone else remarked--Tony Sanchez would seem so much more sleazy and inarticulate than he actually does here. I imagined his vibe would be that of human rat. Someone who, even seeing, makes your skin crawl. I concur with whomever cited Marianne as having painted a particularly vivid image of Tony's ability to make your skin crawl. And he doesn't really have that impact.

I too was wondering who paid for his rehab. Maybe the Stones organization, ultimately, tho certainly not if it were up to Keith from the sounds of it--as well as knowing Keith's lack of compassion for people who fall below a certain level of functionality. He wants them away---out of his sight. If that means forever, so be it....truly, to Keith, yesterday don't matter if it's gone.

Last thing, I appreciate his being honest about being a hanger-on and wanna-be, and how he deluded himself into thinking he might be another Rolling Stone. He certainly is not very defensive in this interview, and doesn't try to make himself look better. It would be interesting to play this clip for Keith (and also Mick), and see what their reactions would be to seeing him again.

- swiss

Date: March 6, 2012 17:09

swiss

Like others, I had such a different picture of Spanish Tony in my head. He was a bit "shifty" here, but I agree with Bliss it's tough to say what the cause of that might be; afterall, he was sort of telling tales out of school in this interview. And doing that about the Rolling Stones takes some cajones and would be fairly thankless--particularly relatively soon after these things happened (Brian's death, Altamont, drug ab/use, Jamaica incident, etc).

I guess I'd imagined--as someone else remarked--Tony Sanchez would seem so much more sleazy and inarticulate than he actually does here. I imagined his vibe would be that of human rat. Someone who, even seeing, makes your skin crawl. I concur with whomever cited Marianne as having painted a particularly vivid image of Tony's ability to make your skin crawl. And he doesn't really have that impact.

I too was wondering who paid for his rehab. Maybe the Stones organization, ultimately, tho certainly not if it were up to Keith from the sounds of it--as well as knowing Keith's lack of compassion for people who fall below a certain level of functionality. He wants them away---out of his sight. If that means forever, so be it....truly, to Keith, yesterday don't matter if it's gone.

Last thing, I appreciate his being honest about being a hanger-on and wanna-be, and how he deluded himself into thinking he might be another Rolling Stone. He certainly is not very defensive in this interview, and doesn't try to make himself look better. It would be interesting to play this clip for Keith (and also Mick), and see what their reactions would be to seeing him again.

- swiss
Hey Swiss - While I totally agree that TS didn't come across as the human-scumbag I imagined he was - don't forget the guy had to have some modicum of charm to have made it into the "circle." I do wonder about your comment that KR dismisses people when they fall below a certain level of functionality. Is this true? I haven't seen evidence of this yet in my readings but I still have a few books to go. What about Freddie Sessler? KR seemed incredibly loyal to him - and yes I realize he did turn up with good coke - but often times he was just hanging around...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2012 18:31

Missed this thread the first time - good reading here.

I bought the book when it first came out and really liked it. Wish I had it now. But WTF, I like "Old Gods Almost Dead" and "Life" too.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 6, 2012 21:08

Date: March 6, 2012 21:13

Re: Is Tony Sanchez still alive ?
Date: March 6, 2012 21:13

Date: March 6, 2012 22:33

memphiscats
swiss

- swiss
Hey Swiss - While I totally agree that TS didn't come across as the human-scumbag I imagined he was - don't forget the guy had to have some modicum of charm to have made it into the "circle." I do wonder about your comment that KR dismisses people when they fall below a certain level of functionality. Is this true? I haven't seen evidence of this yet in my readings but I still have a few books to go. What about Freddie Sessler? KR seemed incredibly loyal to him - and yes I realize he did turn up with good coke - but often times he was just hanging around...

hi memphiscats - we don't know each other yet, so I don't know your point of reference - so I don't want to patronize you, but also don't have a lot of time right now. What I mean is when people get too drug-addled and dysfunctional, Keith has been known to jettison them and move on--Brian, Gram, Spanish Tony spring immediately to mind--others can add to the list, no doubt, and probably as soon as I hit POST I will think of a couple more. Granted, Spanish Tony was always an employee, and the others weren't. But if you've read LIFE, you see Keith has tolerance for weakness and neediness only up to a point---then they're out of here, and mostly forgotten. Of course Keith did have love for Gram ad speaks fondly of him, and has a warm relationship with Gram's daughter, Polly; but at the time, Gram got to be too much of a mess to spend much time on and he was sent packing and then ignored. Keith and the rest of the Stones have a history of using people up and moving on. Almost anyone who has worked/played with them will tell you as much. I don't even see that as a negative criticism the way some knowledgeable Stones' fans/historians do---the usual rules of the road don't apply here, and if one stepped into their lair it was not going to be a gentle ride, and one wouldn't have stepped into it because he wanted a gentle ride. Oh, and Freddie didn't get to the point of being a drag for Keith. Just a few quick thoughts on your post smiling smiley

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-06 22:38 by swiss.

Date: March 6, 2012 23:56

swiss
memphiscats
swiss

- swiss

hi memphiscats - we don't know each other yet, so I don't know your point of reference - so I don't want to patronize you, but also don't have a lot of time right now. What I mean is when people get too drug-addled and dysfunctional, Keith has been known to jettison them and move on--Brian, Gram, Spanish Tony spring immediately to mind--others can add to the list, no doubt, and probably as soon as I hit POST I will think of a couple more. Granted, Spanish Tony was always an employee, and the others weren't. But if you've read LIFE, you see Keith has tolerance for weakness and neediness only up to a point---then they're out of here, and mostly forgotten. Of course Keith did have love for Gram ad speaks fondly of him, and has a warm relationship with Gram's daughter, Polly; but at the time, Gram got to be too much of a mess to spend much time on and he was sent packing and then ignored. Keith and the rest of the Stones have a history of using people up and moving on. Almost anyone who has worked/played with them will tell you as much. I don't even see that as a negative criticism the way some knowledgeable Stones' fans/historians do---the usual rules of the road don't apply here, and if one stepped into their lair it was not going to be a gentle ride, and one wouldn't have stepped into it because he wanted a gentle ride. Oh, and Freddie didn't get to the point of being a drag for Keith. Just a few quick thoughts on your post smiling smiley

- swiss
Hey Swiss - I appreciate the reply & the candid info about Keith. I've read Life, STP, Chris O'Dell's, Marianne F., Bill German, and I'm just finishing Stanley Booth's True Adventures...I guess I need to take off my rose colored glasses when it comes to KR. I didn't pick up that he was down on Gram. The whole relationship with Brian is complicated and I'm still not clear on who did what to whom...(and I agree with your post on another thread - Brian was a sweet gifted soul - but who also had a dark side. Funny, I've always dismissed the whole theory about the "dark side" of the Stones but maybe it was naive to do so. I will investigate further!! Thanks again for the info. I'm fascinated with the Stones and I'm always happy to hear about any books you might recommend to further my education!
Cheers smoking smiley

Date: March 7, 2012 06:52

memphiscats
swiss
memphiscats
swiss

- swiss

- swiss
Hey Swiss - I appreciate the reply & the candid info about Keith. I've read Life, STP, Chris O'Dell's, Marianne F., Bill German, and I'm just finishing Stanley Booth's True Adventures...I guess I need to take off my rose colored glasses when it comes to KR. I didn't pick up that he was down on Gram. The whole relationship with Brian is complicated and I'm still not clear on who did what to whom...(and I agree with your post on another thread - Brian was a sweet gifted soul - but who also had a dark side. Funny, I've always dismissed the whole theory about the "dark side" of the Stones but maybe it was naive to do so. I will investigate further!! Thanks again for the info. I'm fascinated with the Stones and I'm always happy to hear about any books you might recommend to further my education!
Cheers smoking smiley

memphiscats - I don't recall using the phrase myself "dark side," but ok - the Stones have a dark side as everything and everyone has a dark side, no?

Who could possibly be in the entertainment business and not have coping mechanisms that are not particularly pretty in the light of day? they don't called the industry cut throat for nothing. I don't know how long you've been around the Stones or their music, or how old you are, but it would be surprising that it wasn't evident after your reading the above that these guys aren't the Partridge Family winking smiley

Isn't that part of the reason all of us like them? Perhaps not, if you're younger or know them primarily from huge stadium shows recycling material written 45 years ago.

As to Gram, things aren't black and white in anything. Of course, as I said, Keith had love for Gram - they had many good times together for a couple/few years, and he was also a focking mess, and not someone who was perceived to be adding value, to use a contemporary term. There are some threads on iorr about favorite stones' books. You can search for those threads and it may prove useful to you. Also, good old Mrs. Google, old articles, whatever.

best
swiss

Date: March 8, 2012 06:53

Can anyone post more Tony Sanchez pictures ??

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 11:58

The dark side of The Stones? Well Mick and Keith seem like they were pretty ruthless with personal relationships. Bill German's book is a study of why it is not always wise to worship heroes, and worse, be wary meeting them for they are often not as nice as you dreamed them to be. Seriously, the way Mick treated German was pretty disgusting. Both on Mick's part and German's. I mean how much shit does a person have to take until they protect their self respect and esteem? None of them come off too great, Keith, Ronnie, and Mick in particular. Watch the recent Sam Cutler interview that was posted. The entire Altamont fiasco sure doesn't paint them in a very honorable light, and The Stones leaving Cutler to deal with all the crap is pretty pathetic. He alluded to being pretty disenchanted with them, but it is a nice bit about him meeting them in California and all was well. Dark side? Well I guess it is how you define treating people with honor and respect.

Date: March 8, 2012 12:34

Is Sanchez in CSblues ??

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 8, 2012 12:37

Nice to see this thread again, always been facinated with the guy. His book wore out from my re-readings too! lol ! Over the top drug use and talking freely about it. That was cool for me at one time. I have grown up a bit since thankfully.

The reason Keith probably initially dissed Tony and the book as untrue, then relaxed his position somewhat was probably related to the statute of limitaions on some of the illegal activity described within. Keith and Anita went through a paranoid many years there, probably saved their asses more than once.

Quick someone email that grandkid of his and get some resolution on the unpublished Stones pictures and memoribilia he has. He said he hadn't read the book, I wonder what he'll say after he does. Seemed a bit young and innocent to hear some of those stories about Grandpa Tony. Maybe it shocked him into silence? RIP Tony piasano. peace

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: March 8, 2012 12:49

perhaps someone who knows what's what can clue me in...

IORR has a participant named "honestman"

and someone named "honestman" posted an exile vid on youtube a month
ago that contains photos by spanish tony...

is youtube's honestman IORR's honestman?

and how many of the shots in this vid are new? quite a few are new to me...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 8, 2012 13:18

superrevvy

They are one and the same.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 8, 2012 15:32

Could you scan a few, if they are original pics I would like to have some
I prefer 68-72 era
whats the price ???

Date: March 8, 2012 17:39

superrevvy
perhaps someone who knows what's what can clue me in...

IORR has a participant named "honestman"

and someone named "honestman" posted an exile vid on youtube a month
ago that contains photos by spanish tony...

and how many of the shots in this vid are new? quite a few are new to me...

This is great. Thanks. Where is the music from? (I know it's Exile - but these are different...)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 8, 2012 17:58

Hey Mcats! There are lots of Exile era partial mixes and recordings circulating on YouTube. Since the release of the Deluxe edition it appears the stuff is coming out of the woodwork. A great number of good ones were posted by Maui Community Center or similar and thought to be mixes given to Nicky Hopkins to either learn his parts or reflect on the days recording work.

Some of the stuff obviously shouldn't have seen the light of day but others are damn interesting. Like the instrumental version of Let it Loose. Very interesting to hear that basic track without Micks vocals. It was a superb track to begin with and Mick really ended up stepping up to the plate with the vocal on the released version. Probably my all time favorite Stones song.

Hope you are well. peace

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home