Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Is Tony Sanchez still alive?
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 8, 2012 18:08

swiss
memphiscats
swiss
memphiscats
swiss

Like others, I had such a different picture of Spanish Tony in my head. He was a bit "shifty" here, but I agree with Bliss it's tough to say what the cause of that might be; afterall, he was sort of telling tales out of school in this interview. And doing that about the Rolling Stones takes some cajones and would be fairly thankless--particularly relatively soon after these things happened (Brian's death, Altamont, drug ab/use, Jamaica incident, etc).

I guess I'd imagined--as someone else remarked--Tony Sanchez would seem so much more sleazy and inarticulate than he actually does here. I imagined his vibe would be that of human rat. Someone who, even seeing, makes your skin crawl. I concur with whomever cited Marianne as having painted a particularly vivid image of Tony's ability to make your skin crawl. And he doesn't really have that impact.

I too was wondering who paid for his rehab. Maybe the Stones organization, ultimately, tho certainly not if it were up to Keith from the sounds of it--as well as knowing Keith's lack of compassion for people who fall below a certain level of functionality. He wants them away---out of his sight. If that means forever, so be it....truly, to Keith, yesterday don't matter if it's gone.

Last thing, I appreciate his being honest about being a hanger-on and wanna-be, and how he deluded himself into thinking he might be another Rolling Stone. He certainly is not very defensive in this interview, and doesn't try to make himself look better. It would be interesting to play this clip for Keith (and also Mick), and see what their reactions would be to seeing him again.

- swiss
Hey Swiss - While I totally agree that TS didn't come across as the human-scumbag I imagined he was - don't forget the guy had to have some modicum of charm to have made it into the "circle." I do wonder about your comment that KR dismisses people when they fall below a certain level of functionality. Is this true? I haven't seen evidence of this yet in my readings but I still have a few books to go. What about Freddie Sessler? KR seemed incredibly loyal to him - and yes I realize he did turn up with good coke - but often times he was just hanging around...

hi memphiscats - we don't know each other yet, so I don't know your point of reference - so I don't want to patronize you, but also don't have a lot of time right now. What I mean is when people get too drug-addled and dysfunctional, Keith has been known to jettison them and move on--Brian, Gram, Spanish Tony spring immediately to mind--others can add to the list, no doubt, and probably as soon as I hit POST I will think of a couple more. Granted, Spanish Tony was always an employee, and the others weren't. But if you've read LIFE, you see Keith has tolerance for weakness and neediness only up to a point---then they're out of here, and mostly forgotten. Of course Keith did have love for Gram ad speaks fondly of him, and has a warm relationship with Gram's daughter, Polly; but at the time, Gram got to be too much of a mess to spend much time on and he was sent packing and then ignored. Keith and the rest of the Stones have a history of using people up and moving on. Almost anyone who has worked/played with them will tell you as much. I don't even see that as a negative criticism the way some knowledgeable Stones' fans/historians do---the usual rules of the road don't apply here, and if one stepped into their lair it was not going to be a gentle ride, and one wouldn't have stepped into it because he wanted a gentle ride. Oh, and Freddie didn't get to the point of being a drag for Keith. Just a few quick thoughts on your post smiling smiley

- swiss
Hey Swiss - I appreciate the reply & the candid info about Keith. I've read Life, STP, Chris O'Dell's, Marianne F., Bill German, and I'm just finishing Stanley Booth's True Adventures...I guess I need to take off my rose colored glasses when it comes to KR. I didn't pick up that he was down on Gram. The whole relationship with Brian is complicated and I'm still not clear on who did what to whom...(and I agree with your post on another thread - Brian was a sweet gifted soul - but who also had a dark side. Funny, I've always dismissed the whole theory about the "dark side" of the Stones but maybe it was naive to do so. I will investigate further!! Thanks again for the info. I'm fascinated with the Stones and I'm always happy to hear about any books you might recommend to further my education!
Cheers smoking smiley

memphiscats - I don't recall using the phrase myself "dark side," but ok - the Stones have a dark side as everything and everyone has a dark side, no?

Who could possibly be in the entertainment business and not have coping mechanisms that are not particularly pretty in the light of day? they don't called the industry cut throat for nothing. I don't know how long you've been around the Stones or their music, or how old you are, but it would be surprising that it wasn't evident after your reading the above that these guys aren't the Partridge Family winking smiley

Isn't that part of the reason all of us like them? Perhaps not, if you're younger or know them primarily from huge stadium shows recycling material written 45 years ago.

As to Gram, things aren't black and white in anything. Of course, as I said, Keith had love for Gram - they had many good times together for a couple/few years, and he was also a focking mess, and not someone who was perceived to be adding value, to use a contemporary term. There are some threads on iorr about favorite stones' books. You can search for those threads and it may prove useful to you. Also, good old Mrs. Google, old articles, whatever.

best
swiss
Thanks again, swiss. I didn't mean to imply you used "dark side." Just my musings. Of course I realize the Stones aren't angels. But there's a difference between being tough to cope w/ the music or any (for that matter) industry, verses (as you put it) "jettisoning" friends who become messy. One of the qualities I admired in Keith Richards after reading LIFE was his proclaimed loyalty to his friends. But I'm sure he and Mick had an air of ruthlessness - probably couldn't have survived without it.

I'm not sure I get your point about if someone who's only seen stadium shows and reading recycled material from 45 years ago...are you saying that those of us who have just recently come to love the Stones have a different impression of them? Maybe you're right...

RE: further reading - many kind IORRs have suggested books but I'm always interested in hearing people's favorites & some of the more obscure passages. Next up Chet Flippo & then I'll have to read Tony Sanchez!
Cheers smoking smiley

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 8, 2012 18:43

Is the guy holding the glass sanchez ??

[rovetv.net]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 8, 2012 18:55

Yes.

Date: March 8, 2012 20:30

He did have great hair. I know this is weird but there's something about his looks that remind me of Roger Federer (tennis player). Anyone else see a similarity?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 8, 2012 23:20

memphiscats
He did have great hair. I know this is weird but there's something about his looks that remind me of Roger Federer (tennis player). Anyone else see a similarity?

Sure.

Date: March 8, 2012 23:57

Amsterdamned
memphiscats

Sure.

That's hysterical. Hahaha. smoking smiley

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 15, 2013 11:30

Reread the book, and his stories jibe fairly much with what is pretty common knowledge. Of course the parts where he wasn't there aren't all that great, but nothing he says rings false. He seems so much brighter than I thought he would be. I think he pretty much nails Tom Keylock in the book for what he was, though he never mentions him by name. Seems to have liked Brian a lot despite his troubles. Jagger gets a pretty fair picutre in the book. Yes aloof, but with a sensitive side. Tony seemed to love Keith at one point, but seems to feel he changed over time.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 15, 2013 13:51

Well, people who do drugs together will always come to a critical point in their relationship sooner or later.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: February 15, 2013 17:20

i would love to hear some Spanish Tony stories from Keith. Not too much in Life

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 19:21

with sssoul
>> Who is JC? <<

he was the head security guy for many years
(someone else currently has the job)

Mr. Callaghan would indeed have some good stories.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 19:44

varilla
i would love to hear some Spanish Tony stories from Keith. Not too much in Life

He probably can't remember.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 15, 2013 19:49

who is "anonymous user"?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:03

noughties
who is "anonymous user"?

One of the Legion Of The Banned aka The Walking Dead.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:15

Didn't Marianne say in her autobiography about Spanish Tony that he might have been a good human being "had he lived"?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 16, 2013 09:42

Watching that video again...basically Keith cut off Tony's supply, which he said was $300-400 a day in 1973, so around $2000 today. My guess is he paid for Bowden House for him though.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 19, 2013 17:13

Spanish Tony is alive & well, working in a record shop in the Village. He stands by his book.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: April 19, 2013 17:22

uhhhhhh!!! What an interview that would be!!!! Anybody near the village that can take a photo, have proof he is Spanish Tony?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 19, 2013 20:56

MILKYWAY
Spanish Tony is alive & well, working in a record shop in the Village. He stands by his book.

What ?! Can't search the thread now but didn't his son/nephew post here saying he had indeed passed on ?

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 19, 2013 21:20

Green Lady
noughties
who is "anonymous user"?

One of the Legion Of The Banned aka The Walking Dead.

Don't post when you're drunk.

Date: April 20, 2013 02:19

gotdablouse
What ?! Can't search the thread now but didn't his son/nephew post here saying he had indeed passed on ?

You don't really believe everything you read here, do you? People lie on this board all the time. One guy says he Chuck Berry's son, another says he was the Stones 1969 tour manager, etc. Hell, we have a poster here named Edith who isn't even a woman!

If I told you I was Spanish Tony's daughter, would you believe that?

Spanish Tony is still around. Don't think he's going to any of the upcoming RS shows, though.

Date: April 20, 2013 12:23

Someone posted who claimed to be ST's grandson. He had some interesting info, then disappeared. Milkyway, can you please back up your claims ST is alive in NYC 13 years after it was reported he was dead?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 20, 2013 12:26

MILKYWAY
People lie on this board all the time. One guy says he Chuck Berry's son, another says he was the Stones 1969 tour manager, etc. Hell, we have a poster here named Edith who isn't even a woman!

Am I the only one who thinks this is funny ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: April 20, 2013 12:27

Bliss
Milkyway, can you please back up your claims ST is alive

I guess the answer is no smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: April 20, 2013 13:20

Rolling Hansie
Bliss
Milkyway, can you please back up your claims ST is alive

I guess the answer is no smiling smiley

Give me some time, man.

What proof did you get that he was dead? Some joker posting that he was related to him & that he is dead? No obit or news article or other "proof"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 13:25 by MILKYWAY.

Date: April 20, 2013 13:59

IIRC, at the back of the 2003 (?) edition of Up and Down, it said that he had died in 2000.

Date: April 20, 2013 14:08

MILKYWAY
What proof did you get that he was dead?

Did I claim he was dead ?

-------------------

Date: April 20, 2013 14:17

Rolling Hansie
MILKYWAY
What proof did you get that he was dead?

Did I claim he was dead ?

I meant "you" as in the general public, not you specifically.

If there is a blurb or something saying ST is dead, how come no one had scanned & posted the blurb rather than just talking about it??? Most suspicious. "I saw something that said ...."

confused smiley

Date: April 20, 2013 14:43

Well, his publisher wrote it on his book..sounds definitive, doesn't it?

Date: April 20, 2013 15:36

Doesn't say that in my copy and it was printed in 2005.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:53

stonehearted
Didn't Marianne say in her autobiography about Spanish Tony that he might have been a good human being "had he lived"?

I think she said that about the French count who supplied Pam Courson with the smack that may or may not have killed Jim Morrison. They were seeing each other and took off for Morocco after Jim croaked. The count himself OD'd soon thereafter.

I'm pretty sure Marianne just thought Tony was a scumbag.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home