Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Keith's "incident" in Hampton 81 question
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:17

It was maybe the action of an old and experienced hand ;^).
Don't forget that back in the 60s there were scores of these charactors at every show. On stage self defence was then "de rigour" !

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:27

>> I remember when LSTNT was originally released <<

... is there Hampton footage in LStNT?? in the version of the film called Rocks Off
Satisfaction is from East Rutherford.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:28

with sssoul
when which happened, Edith Grove honey - the fan-bashing or Mick bravely defending Keith from a balloon?
the stage had that revolving aspect to it, and the camera angles are a bit difficult to figure out sometimes
but Keith's Close Encounter with the intruder took place to Charlie's right, right?
more like Ronnie's side than Bill's.

Keith could have popped that balloon with a lit cigarette in his mouth if he had one going at the time, so I was referring to the fan-bashing.
I didn't notice Charlie's relative location, so you might be correct, which could also mean, where was Ronnie during all of this?
Don't mind me sssoul, it's early where I'm at, the coffee's strong this morning, and I'm just starting sh*t. smiling bouncing smiley

Re: The Keith "incident" in Hampton 81 question
Date: September 16, 2008 13:32

>> which could also mean, where was Ronnie during all of this? <<

right after the intruder is taken care of, i think you can see a glimpse of Ronnie
leaping down off (apparently) the drum riser. (that's just from memory, though, so don't mind me either!)

>> Keith could have popped that balloon <<

well yeah, but the Mick wanted to be gallant! reciprocity is as reciprocity does, or something
[passing more caffeine]

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:38

with sssoul
>> I remember when LSTNT was originally released <<

... is there Hampton footage in LStNT?? in the version of the film called Rocks Off
Satisfaction is from East Rutherford.

That was my thinking too though I'm almost 99% certain I've read about it being on versions of the DVD (possibly as bonus material).

Re: The Keith "incident" in Hampton 81
Date: September 16, 2008 13:44

>> That was my thinking too <<

oh ... so you mean the review making this allegation was when the dvd came out?
has it come out officially on dvd in Europe?? i'm confused. pass the caffeine back, please :E

Date: September 16, 2008 13:50

with sssoul
>> That was my thinking too <<

oh ... so you mean the review making this allegation was when the dvd came out?
has it come out officially on dvd in Europe?? i'm confused. pass the caffeine back, please :E

I believe so. The copy I have is on some Dutch/ Belgian(?) label. Certainly looks official. It's constantly sold on E-bay UK. You can normally pick it up for around a fiver.

Date: September 16, 2008 13:57

my question was more about the approximate date of the review of the film
that speculated about the Hampton incident being staged. it's not important, but when you said
the review came out "when LSTNT was originally released" that sounded like you meant 1983,
which would be odd since (i think!) the film doesn't include footage from Hampton.
no big deal. on with the regularly-scheduled thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-16 14:02 by with sssoul.

Date: September 16, 2008 14:32

with sssoul
my question was more about the approximate date of the review of the film
that speculated about the Hampton incident being staged. it's not important, but when you said
the review came out "when LSTNT was originally released" that sounded like you meant 1983,
which would be odd since (i think!) the film doesn't include footage from Hampton.
no big deal. on with the regularly-scheduled thread

No, 'cos you've got me wondering/doubting now! I could have sworn it was when the film was released. I'll see if I can get in to the paper's web archives.
One of these days I'm gonna turn up at work wearing odd shoes! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: September 16, 2008 15:09

baxlap
Paul Kersey
Quality R&R. When that guy attacked Oasis, even thought there was nothing Noel could do it all looked abit pathetic. The Hampton incident is what its all about!

Noel Gallagher was hit from behind and never saw that bastard coming. The guy in Hampton was in front of Keef, who had time to nail him with the black Tele.

I doubt Noel would have done what Keith did :-)

Date: September 20, 2008 20:45

>> No, 'cos you've got me wondering/doubting now!
I could have sworn it was when the film was released. <<

well, i just watched LStNT to doublecheck and indeed that Keith Moment isn't in it,
which is what i thought. could the review you're recalling be of the Hampton broadcast?
it was the first-ever PPV concert broadcast so maybe it would rate a review in Glasgow. smoking smiley

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: September 20, 2008 21:30

I am rather surprised by this thread. This is not my favorite Stones moment. Although I understand Richards' reaction, and think it was a sound one after Lennon's being killed not long before, I see little more than a fan - most probably with good intentions - being hit in the head, Sid Vicious-style. All references to this incident by Richards that I have read seem to me to be apologetic in tone, rather than Eastwood-ish pseudo-macho boasting. Of all Stones moments since 1962, you choose this one as a favorite?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 21:33 by parislocksmith.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:17

all i know is that if keith did that to me whether i was wrong or not for running on stage, there would have been legal action on my part

Date: September 20, 2008 23:21

well ... if that Tele had actually connected with the guy's head, he wouldn't have had to be bailed out,
if you see what i mean

>> most probably with good intentions <<

"most probably" isn't enough to go on in a lot of situations, though, is it -
and if the guy's intentions were so good then what was he disrupting the show for?

anyway you don't have to dig it if you don't want to - it's no skin off my nose -
but yeah, lots of people (including me) consider it a very rock & roll moment:
the Rolling Stones take whatever comes at them in stride, and carry on regardless.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-21 21:30 by with sssoul.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 21, 2008 02:20

This has been a great read - thanks to all - but I'm surprised more isn't known about the fan / whackee. If there were charges and he was bailed out, there would be arrest records, etc. Did nobody interview him later? Were the charges dropped? It would be a hell of a story. (And I always thought it was a pretty cool moment - from a We Can Still Take Care of Ourselves point of view - but learning that Keith bailed him out just makes the legend of the Gentleman Pirate better and better! Comfort the afflicted, afflict the comfortable. Go, Keith!)

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 21, 2008 02:26

is it a fact that keith bailed him out, or just another keith STORY as they say

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 21, 2008 03:27

Hey, you Cats and Chix, I was there, standing in the front row....Keith never even made contact...it was a total whiff....but effort was there....great show, but the following night was SUCH a better show....they were out of it on the 18th. Get the 19th video, and then tell me about it.

JR

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 21, 2008 03:30

Addicted
It's just SO Keith, to find out afterwards what really happened. "OK, so it was a real fan who was up to no harm, except he was an idiot who wanted to say "hello" during a show". The day after Keith bails him out of jail. Now, that's a good man doing a good deed.
When Lennon was killed, we saw the other side of Keith. He got the news only an hour or so after Lennon was shot. And the two of them were really close, mutual admiration, a few things they had in common, too, and they enjoyed eachother's company. When the news reached Keith, he imediately picked up one of his "pieces" and headed uptown. There was no mercy. If Keith had gotten to Chapman before the cops, he'd have shot him. There's no doubt in my mind.

...and you actually believe that....!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-21 03:33 by Gazza.

Date: September 21, 2008 03:33

Paul Kersey
baxlap
Paul Kersey
Quality R&R. When that guy attacked Oasis, even thought there was nothing Noel could do it all looked abit pathetic. The Hampton incident is what its all about!

Noel Gallagher was hit from behind and never saw that bastard coming. The guy in Hampton was in front of Keef, who had time to nail him with the black Tele.

I doubt Noel would have done what Keith did :-)

Yeah - he probably would have connected properly.

Pretty laughable comment to describe his reaction to being whacked from behind as "pathetic"....

Date: September 21, 2008 11:31

>> I'm surprised more isn't known about the fan / whackee. <<

i imagine the guy was dining out on the story for quite a while - maybe still is.
probably the high point in his cv ... eye rolling smiley

>> When the news reached Keith, he imediately picked up one of his "pieces" and headed uptown ... <<
>> ...and you actually believe that....! <<

i'd still like to know what Addicted/g-stone/angel's source for this allegation is.
it doesn't make much sense: there was no manhunt for Chapman; he was arrested on the spot.
sure, Keith went around armed sometimes in those days, but that's a long way from what's being alleged here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-21 18:59 by with sssoul.

Date: September 21, 2008 14:26

there's no 'source'. Its pure invention.

I did read an interview with Keith a few years ago where he stated that on hearing the news he was at home and was in such a state he had to be talked out of leaving his apartment to go hunting for the assassin, but even allowing for his tendency to embellish stories for dramatic effect, thats still a long way short of him actually heading uptown, piece in hand looking in a city of 8 million people for a killer who, as you correctly say, had been apprehended on the spot having made no attempt to escape (a fact which was reported as soon as the story became public knowledge).

Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: September 21, 2008 15:32

I believe the Lennon killing the year before was the only reason Keith behaved with such aplomb.

Years later in 2003 at Manchester Arena a guy jumped on stage and headed for Keith. I thought I was about to see a repeat performance but Keith just smiled and shook his hand. Older and wiser?

Date: September 21, 2008 15:37

>> I did read an interview with Keith a few years ago where he stated that on hearing the news
he was at home and was in such a state he had to be talked out of leaving his apartment ... <<

thanks Gazza - of course people were very distressed/distraught at the news,
and felt like doing various things - which (as you note) is not the same as actually attempting to do them.
but maybe that interview is what Addicted/g-stone/angel was misremembering or misunderstanding or whatever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-21 19:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: September 21, 2008 15:39

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-23 20:46 by parislocksmith.

Date: September 21, 2008 16:25

with sssoul
>> I did read an interview with Keith a few years ago where he stated that on hearing the news
he was at home and was in such a state he had to be talked out of leaving his apartment ... <<

thanks Gazza - of course people were very distressed/distraught at the news.
maybe that interview is what Addicted/g-stone/angel was misremembering or misunderstanding or whatever.

Hey I even felt the same way myself and I didnt hear the news until six hours later and was 3,000 miles away!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-21 22:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: September 22, 2008 21:43

melillo
all i know is that if Keith did that to me whether i was wrong or not for running on stage, there would have been legal action on my part

And you would have lost. And no lawyer in his right mind would take your case on a contingency; you would have to pay a substantial retainer. And if I were lucky enough to be Keith's counsel, I would shred you on cross examination, and the jury would want to see you flogged for wasting their time. Just 19 years of trial experience speaking here.

Date: September 22, 2008 21:52

[passing popcorn to Jed Clever smoking smiley]

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: September 23, 2008 00:53

with sssoul
[passing popcorn to Jed Clever smoking smiley]

I thought it was now impermissible to use symbols in an IORR post. The jury would want to see you flogged. And popcorn is bad for your teeth. As is a Telecaster to the face.

Date: September 23, 2008 01:04

LoFL: glad that isn't an example of your courtroom finesse -
what bv said is that he doesn't want smileys in the subject lines of threads.

and popcorn is an excellent source of dietary roughage - you should try it! :E

on with the regularly scheduled thread & good health to you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-23 01:22 by with sssoul.

Posted by: tylerdurden ()
Date: September 23, 2008 01:07

baxlap
Paul Kersey

What was particularly funny about the Oasis clip is that Liam Gallagher waits a good long while until that guy is restrained by six security guards - then decides he wants to fight him. What a man!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home