Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What the F...Russel Brand?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:36

He's quite big here in the UK. Can't stand him personally.

It was only a matter of time until he infected the US with his vileness. It's seemingly happened.

Posted by: tylerdurden ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:37

ryanpow
tylerdurden2001
he is just from "the rest of the world" and relects how a lof of people in "the rest of the world" view things.

quote]

what are you trying to say, that everyone in america thinks the same? and that there are only two ways of thinking, the way everyone in the US thinks and the way the rest of the world and thats it?

No, just that there is a wider perspective than just the American one (whether the American right, left or centre) and a different attitude to how they view political leaders. Example being that what Brand said seems to have caused a great deal of controversy in the US, probably amongst Democrats as well as Republicans but it wouldn't have caused many people outside America to bat and eyelid, whether they agree with him or not.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:39

Big Al

It was only a matter of time until he infected the US with his vileness. It's seemingly happened.

Didn't people say similar things about Mick Jagger circa 1964?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 9, 2008 23:15

keep at it Russell.
come on you irons!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2008 23:40

Sleepy City
Big Al

Didn't people say similar things about Mick Jagger circa 1964?

Yes they did, but it worked as part of his act.

If Brand was endearing and funny, it'd work. - But he’s not.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 10, 2008 00:32

well tyler , I don't even know what this guy said so I can't really comment further. But you do seem to be saying that there are two perspectives, the american and then the rest of the world. Thats just stereotyping. I mean, I watch TV and I haven't even heard of this guy, so how much of a controversy could it have really caused if someone like me hasn't even heard about it?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-10 00:42 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 10, 2008 00:35

ryanpow
-----

I couldn't have put it better myself! : )

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: September 10, 2008 16:04

It depends how high you can count! I am saying there is more than one perspective. Or more to the point, more than just the various American perspectives. The wider the net goes the more they will multiply.

What I meant with regard to the 'controversy' caused (which is probably too strong a word for it) is that I have often seen or heard opponents of Bush who still think it is wrong to criticise the President in public. That isn't all Americans but nor is that an uncommon view point. In other parts of the world supporters of a leader wouldn't see criticising that leader in public as a big deal.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 10, 2008 17:26

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: September 10, 2008 17:37

re the 'retard' comment...i can see how people with developmental disabilities would be hurt by being lumped into the same sentence as Dubya...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 10, 2008 18:05

Was it something I said? The truth about Brand's bashing in the US

Tim Dowling
The Guardian, Wednesday September 10 2008

Russell Brand is not exactly unacquainted with controversy, but even he must have been slightly taken aback by the publicity surrounding his hosting of the MTV Video Music Awards, where many of his jokes - he urged people to vote for Obama, and referred to George Bush as "that retarded cowboy fellow" - seemed to dismay a portion of the audience and upset a lot of people who possess both a broadband connection and a surfeit of free time.

"i think this was one of the worst VMA hosts ever!!!" said one commenter on MTV's website. "I didn't like him at all ..... he was stupid and disrespectful!!!!" A lot of the ire focused not on the politics, but on Brand's snide remarks about the Jonas Brothers, an eerily popular Disney-sponsored pop trio who all wear chastity rings, or the fact that he interrupted some actor from a series called Twilight. And some of it was what might be termed non-specific criticism - "WHAT A LOSER, GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY WHERE YOURE FAMOUS."

Actually, clips of the programme show that Brand didn't go down badly at all. There were some close-ups of stone-faced pop stars during the opening, but they were clearly busy calculating how much an unscripted smile at an anti-Bush joke might cost them in sales. In some ways the "outrage" remains a mystery. It cannot be said that American audiences don't "get" Brand; his recent appearances on the major talkshows were perfectly pitched and well-received. And it isn't at all strange to hear jokes about Bush in America. People are more likely to object to the use of the word "retarded".

A certain portion of the US audience clearly finds him, if not offensive, then bewildering - the combination of his accent, his furious pace and his baroque phrasing must be a challenge. It's also likely that the foreigner's perspective on Bush or the chastity-ring phenomenon grates a little. Americans have joked about both for years, and neither has gone away.

Eventually, however, as the wrath of Republicans and chastity preachers and Twilight fans exhausted itself, the weight of talkboard opinion started to turn in Brand's favour. Even Courtney Love joined the debate, in typically haphazard fashion, on her blog: "Russell appears to have done quite well - ist not exactltya @#$%& rock fest at mtv its ... 'date my mom' remember- and it will never revert back to reliably rock n roll." Fortunately, he probably doesn't need her help at this point.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 10, 2008 18:21

a previous IORR thread on Russell - and a rumoured Stones connection

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2008 18:35

Duane in Houston
Who the Hell is Russel Brand and why was he hosting the American MTV Video Awards show last night. This guy is a complete @#$%&. He was completely un-funny and actually quite offensive to everyone in attendance and watching at home. I couldn't believe what an idiot this guy is. Is he considered funny or talented by anyone in England? I know we shipped you Madonna but , Please...

Looks like you may have to get used to it. According to the papers today, MTV were so pleased that they hope to have him presenting next year's awards as well.

The outrage over this whole thing is hysterical.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 10, 2008 18:41

I hate the fact that the word "retard" is so popular these days - even some of my friends use it.

I didn't see the show but saw preview for it - what is RB known for? Acting? Playing music? Comedian?

I find him kind of attractive, but his hair could use a brush. He reminds me a bit of Chris Dunn (Arnold's son), whom I have a crush on.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2008 18:48

little queenie
I hate the fact that the word "retard" is so popular these days - even some of my friends use it.

I didn't see the show but saw preview for it - what is RB known for? Acting? Playing music? Comedian?

Stand up comedian, actor, TV and radio presenter, outrageous chat show guest and serial shagger

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: September 10, 2008 19:08

inopeng
After his use of the "R" word last night I would love a chance to knock his teeth out.

OH, so your one of those retards.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 10, 2008 19:35

tylerdurden2001
It depends how high you can count! I am saying there is more than one perspective. Or more to the point, more than just the various American perspectives. The wider the net goes the more they will multiply.

nope sorry, your still putting all american perspectives into one category, thereby defining an american perspective. I don't think that criticizing the leader publicly is a big deal.. so does that make me Un-American or Not an American?

I will make one concession, during an election it can be a more sensitive subject, if you really want your guy to win.. but Id say that would be true in any country where an election is taking place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-10 19:58 by ryanpow.

Posted by: tylerdurden ()
Date: September 10, 2008 23:44

Nope, you just don't share the perspective I gave an example of - which I have tried to explain is a perspective shared by some people in America but not that many people in the UK or even Europe. That isn't grouping anyone together, there is just a sizable group of people who hold that view that make sit a relevant observation of how a number of people think.

I've been involved in enough discussions like this (not neccesarily so calm and measured!) about US politics where anyone disagreeing with the governing party is called divisive, polarising, partisan. I have never had that kind of conversation with a non-American (although obviously I have also not had that conversation with some Americans). In the UK strong opposition is seen as a good thing, to hold the Government accountable. No one would be accused of being divisive for not agreeing with the Government

Posted by: jayb70 ()
Date: September 11, 2008 02:36

i saw chris rock last sat night and he did the
same retard joke that brand did.

but to be fair it is true!!!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 11, 2008 03:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-06 02:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 11, 2008 05:29

Max'sKansasCity
You are aware that when you drivel your anti-USA attitude,
that you are bashing humans and being anti-HUMAN,,,,, eh?
Most down here are all human, and just doing their thing,
and saying "where one lives" has a lot of meaning, is just silly.

Do you know your history?.....
Do you realize that Europe and the UK have had their share of evil leaders and bad times too?
Let those without own problems, cast the first stone.

Is there no credit given that the USA was the first (Earth) country in history, which won the war,
and then rebuilt the conquered nation, and then returned the country (100%) to the freed people?
How quickly humans forget.
For you children, History is longer than the last 10 years.

Bush will go away. Lets hope the next leader will do better, but as long as greed exists, humans will be ANTI,
and BASH and kill and steal and rob, and there will be war. Cant you all just get along??
The entity USA is not evil, some humans are evil, but that is World wide.

PS
I would not have even known about this BS, OR this person, unless you posted it here.
There is none issue, no one cares....no one is making a big deal of it excpet the standard people here who love stirring sh!t up....

MTVvma is a non event and this person is a non entity.....no one cares, except the hens.

sure liked your post.

yeh this guy seemed the total obnoxious as#hole of the living Universe.
he makes ryan seacrest (human puke) look like Brando or DeNiro...
i take everything as it comes, for whatever it's worth to me as 'art' or 'culture' and have a huge tolerance level for the usual stupid things that get marketed around the huzzah of what the 'popular music' industry has become, this mechanized, digitied, synthesized, retro/modern fashion etc...
but this guy is an instant channel-changer. hateful promo under assistant Now westcoast promo man...someone obviously invested a lot of money in his success, but he's worthless, as was most of the 'music' presented...tho i admit to being so offended by that brand idiot that it moved me on to more rockin' entertainment elsewhere.

it's not even his 'pseudo-political' attempts at promoting himself shamelessly as he panders around 'news' issues, that bothers me about him, it's the fact that he is breathing air that's pisses me off. he's just vile. the new 'it' boy is vile. everything is going perfectly on the promo front.

i'm gonna listen to Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful now, just as a chaser...
then 'everybody's in showbiz' all four sides...and that new AC/DC record should be out soon...
i try to listen to at least one Stones concert boot from various epochs once a day...emmy lou was on Letterman recently. now THAT was good television. so gracious and ambiant and elegantly real.

i'm glad the kids are having fun or whatever...but MTV was stupid shit from the very beginning...vh1 was a little better for a little while...it just breeds musical and artistic blandness and technology that passes for the great spirit of great rock and pop music. kids grow up NEVER hearing, or knowing much, about the giants that still move this earth...new and old timers...

lots of great bands and writers and musicians in the states...austin city limits or elsewhere on television with much better groups and writers and performers....saw james mcmurtry (sp?) recently on ACL and it had grind and groove. everything that is totally lost on fussel brand and the teenie weenies..

so the yanks and brits can have a group hug about all this...let's add in some aussies to some brits (with some yanks) and just, hell, get it ON

dunno these two vids don't show up but you can catch 'em on YOUTUBE iffin you wanted...sorry 'bout dat...it always used to work for me...??
anyway...
ac/dc with the stones doin' 'rock me baby' via youtube
and also via youtube...a great little bit of an interview with malcom and angus before they jammed with the Stones.
old stuff for most fans i guess, but offered in good faith anyway...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-11 05:39 by Beelyboy.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home