Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 51 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 15, 2009 23:04

Erik_Snow
alimente
Yeah, A Bigger Bang in particular with this overcompressed and lifeless sound. A decent remastering job could do wonders for this album.

"a decent remastering job" ?

How about a decent demastering job?

Hmm, yes, probably. It all depends on at what stage the sound was ruined. It probably needs a remix from scratch to get a decent sound. But its possible that the stereo master is ok and that they applied the compression for the CD production master, in this case the overcompressed original CD sound can be repaired by working from the stereo master. In case this is already ruined by compression & maximum loudness, one would have to go back to the multitracks and create a new mix. In case they really want to repair it, that is!

Anyway, I cant stand a sound where a ballad like Biggest Mistake jumps into your face like a rocker, with no dynamics to speak of. Just one example.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2009 23:48

From my experience a record that is recorded in a total digital format does not sound any better on vinyl. It's just...digital on vinyl.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 16, 2009 00:39

barbabang
I now have a needledrop of the album which I can play.

What does "needledrop" mean exactly? Thanx

@ Doc

There is not much improvement on Bridges to Babylon?! Respectively any change in sound,etc.? I very much like that album and was thinking of rebuying it again.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 16, 2009 00:58

CousinC
barbabang

@ Doc

There is not much improvement on Bridges to Babylon?! Respectively any change in sound,etc.? I very much like that album and was thinking of rebuying it again.

Bridges to Babylon sounds EXACTLY as it did before. Granted, I haven't done a track by track comparison, but I've compared my favourite tracks and they don't sound any different at all. Stick to your original copy - unless you want the new case.

Dirty Work, Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge sound TERRIFIC.

Didn't get ABB because the original only came out yesterday.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 16, 2009 01:11

@ Doc

In short a needledrop is a digital copy of the vinyl.One can save the files in 16 bit (cd resolution) or higher like 24/96 (is a better representation of the recording)

In an ideal situation I would like to buy 24/192 music on blu-ray (non brickwalled and with all dynamics intact please)

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for this option.

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: July 16, 2009 02:40

Nikolai
CousinC
barbabang

@ Doc

Bridges to Babylon sounds EXACTLY as it did before. Granted, I haven't done a track by track comparison, but I've compared my favourite tracks and they don't sound any different at all. Stick to your original copy - unless you want the new case.

You're right-Dirty Work,Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge UMG remasters are killer;BTB sounds pretty much the same.But ABB doesn't sound as as squashed as the Virgin which it great!smileys with beer

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 16, 2009 11:18

Stonewalled
Nikolai
CousinC
barbabang

@ Doc

You're right-Dirty Work,Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge UMG remasters are killer;BTB sounds pretty much the same.But ABB doesn't sound as as squashed as the Virgin which it great!smileys with beer

Guess I'll have to get it after all then ....

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 16, 2009 11:29

I have to retry ABB, but I didn't notice an improvement on 1st test

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: July 16, 2009 17:52

I saw them on sale at Barnes & Noble yesterday, $14. They had SF, GHS, IORR, BAB, SG, ER, TY and U.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: July 16, 2009 18:16

Am I the only one on the planet who adores ABB?

I'll probably buy the new one just for the sake of it.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: July 16, 2009 20:22

OneHit

You're not alone, mate!

... And I also wonder what I must be missing when lots of folks diss the SOUND. Okay, I'd admit it's anything but "organic", but oh boy, every age has its drawbacks, sond-wise. Again, I'm far from being and expert on the matter, but I think some people are overdramatizing. I find way more annoying and "lifeless" mastering / mixing / production on any 80's album for starters. A question of different tastes, I suppose.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother less about these remasters. Just considering picking up BLACK & BLUE as I seem to have lost my Virgin one - Is the Universal one any good, or shall I locate a Virgin (or CBS) one?

Any idea idea IF or WHEN the live abums will be also re-released? ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-16 20:23 by Handova.

Date: July 16, 2009 20:51

Well, when compared to the back catalogue, A Bigger Bang does not sound as good as, say, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock'N'Roll, Black And Blue or Tattoo You, which all sound very organic. But it does sound better, I think, than Some Girls, Undercover, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels. Those albums just sound neutered.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: July 16, 2009 22:12

Is ABB really being sold as a remaster? Does it say on the inner sleeve??

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 17, 2009 03:48

OneHit

I'm with you Onehit. ABB is nothing short of great. I'm in the minority when it comes to Some Girls which I think is overated garbage.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 19, 2009 12:45

Question about different releases:
This week I received the second batch of remasters I ordered on Ebay (SG, ER, TY and Undercover). I noticed that the cd's were packaged in the normal jewel case boxes, whereas I thought that the remasters were only available in the super jewel cd cases. The sleeve however mentions 'universal 2009' on it, and so does the CD itself. there was also a sticker on the case (2009 remasters or something like that). Does anyone has the same edition that I have? Or did someone did a terrific copy and paste job?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2009 13:02

ROCKMAN

Date: July 19, 2009 13:28

that's exactly the text that is on my version. Ill try to post some pics of 'my version'.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 19, 2009 13:37

jackflash27
Question about different releases:
This week I received the second batch of remasters I ordered on Ebay (SG, ER, TY and Undercover). I noticed that the cd's were packaged in the normal jewel case boxes, whereas I thought that the remasters were only available in the super jewel cd cases. The sleeve however mentions 'universal 2009' on it, and so does the CD itself. there was also a sticker on the case (2009 remasters or something like that). Does anyone has the same edition that I have? Or did someone did a terrific copy and paste job?

You're thinking of the Virgin remasters. The Universals are in standard CD cases.

This thread will NOT die!!

Drew

Date: July 19, 2009 13:52

Drew, where did you bought your universals then. First batch that I bought was here in the nethelands: super jewel box and the second one I bought on ebay (britain or states, not sure where they came from). second batch were normal cd cases.

Another difference i noticed is in the cd itself. super jewel box: cd core is plastic transparant (see pic), standard box is silver (like the rest of the cd itself).

Here some pics:

[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]

Not that great quality, but you get the picture..

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: July 19, 2009 23:17

jackflash27
Drew, where did you bought your universals then. First batch that I bought was here in the nethelands: super jewel box and the second one I bought on ebay (britain or states, not sure where they came from). second batch were normal cd cases.

Another difference i noticed is in the cd itself. super jewel box: cd core is plastic transparant (see pic), standard box is silver (like the rest of the cd itself).

Here some pics:

[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]

These links require a username & password!

Are you sure about the CDs? My Super Jewel Case edition discs (bought in Germany) are silver (or printed) until the hole. There's nothing transparent like the Virgin were.

I have not seen a normal jewel case edition here in Germany, I don't believe they are available packed like this in Europe. They may come from the USA, AFAIK Super Jewel Cases are not used there, see here: [www.amazon.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-19 23:28 by midnrambler.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: July 20, 2009 02:45

I am behind. I haven't got mine yet.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Date: July 20, 2009 02:48

I've seen the regular ol' jewel cases only they are clear.

The hell is a 'super' jewel case? Like what that Zep comp came in?

Date: July 20, 2009 08:40

midnrambler
jackflash27

Here some pics:

[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]
[homedrive.ziggo.nl]

These links require a username & password!

Are you sure about the CDs? My Super Jewel Case edition discs (bought in Germany) are silver (or printed) until the hole. There's nothing transparent like the Virgin were.

I have not seen a normal jewel case edition here in Germany, I don't believe they are available packed like this in Europe. They may come from the USA, AFAIK Super Jewel Cases are not used there, see here: [www.amazon.com]

Then I think I got the american version. from what i can see on the amazon picture, they seem to be normal jewel cases. the most important thing that counts for me is that it's not a scam / fake.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: July 20, 2009 10:55

Bought Dirty Work today, just listened to it for the first time.

Excuse me, but why does this album have such a terrible rep? I loved it.
On an unrelated note, the sound is fantastic.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 20, 2009 11:29

OneHit wrote :

Bought Dirty Work today, just listened to it for the first time.

Excuse me, but why does this album have such a terrible rep? I loved it.
On an unrelated note, the sound is fantastic.

Never disliked the album either. But I guess we are in the minority. It is the producing by Steve Lillywhite I don't like.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 20, 2009 15:36

More Hot Rocks
OneHit

I'm with you Onehit. ABB is nothing short of great. I'm in the minority when it comes to Some Girls which I think is overated garbage.

No problem you don´t like Some ( brilliant ) Girls.
But "overrated garbage " ? Would ´ve been enough to label it "garbage " or "overrated",doubling it leads to double trouble,or have you ever heard of
"underrated garbage " ?

Might be that you are "alone in minority" in this case...

Date: July 20, 2009 17:36

51 pages and still no 'deluxe' anything. What a farce UMe is!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 19:34

I'm not an expert on the sound of CDs and some of this thread is above my head but I picked up Tattoo You, Undercover and IORR and they all sound superb to me. Crisp. loud. I can't comment on the others - tempted to pick up B&B too.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 20, 2009 21:15

Hello!

For the audio experts here is a question:
Is it worth to invest on buying the SHM-CD of the 2009 Universal Remasters from Japan or the difference in price does not justify it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 20, 2009 22:48

I was on anazon reading about the box set that comes out on July 28. It says that each disc will include a bonus disc of b-sides, live tracks and rarities. Is this really true ? Has this topic already been covered ? I don't believe that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 51 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home