Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 31, 2009 14:30

Skipstone, with all due respect, have you actually LISTENED to the new releases?

Drew

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: May 31, 2009 14:47

"At around 2:55 or thereabouts to about 3:05 into "Star Star" the volume gets turned up to a distortion level and then is slowly brought back down. To me this was VERY noticeable and sounds awful. How doesn't anyone at Universal notice this? It sounds almost like someone did an 'oops' and hit a knob and hoped nobody would notice as they slowly brought it back down to a normal level."

It's part of the censoring. The guitars/music is brought up to 'bury' the John Wayne lyric.

Date: May 31, 2009 15:51

Britney
"At around 2:55 or thereabouts to about 3:05 into "Star Star" the volume gets turned up to a distortion level and then is slowly brought back down. To me this was VERY noticeable and sounds awful. How doesn't anyone at Universal notice this? It sounds almost like someone did an 'oops' and hit a knob and hoped nobody would notice as they slowly brought it back down to a normal level."

It's part of the censoring. The guitars/music is brought up to 'bury' the John Wayne lyric.

So the same thing happens on the vinyl?

Drew

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 31, 2009 17:19

john r, "brickwalling" is adding so much compression to the signal to make the effect louder that the visual graphic of the frequencies looks like a solid "wall," rather than the jagged streams that come with a truly dynamic recording.

john r
Heck, I still prefer Bowie's Raw Power to Iggy's remix (which might make a useful 2nd disc 'altmix' in a 'deluxe' editon).

me too!

Date: June 1, 2009 06:37

drewmaster

Drew

Yes.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 1, 2009 08:50

Britney

Steve McQueen, you mean.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2009 10:58

"giving head to John Wayne"... Who would love to in 1973?

Date: June 1, 2009 15:06

Britney
drewmaster

Drew

Yes.

That's good to know, thanks ... means that Universal didn't screw up.

Drew

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 1, 2009 18:53

cc
john r, "brickwalling" is adding so much compression to the signal to make the effect louder that the visual graphic of the frequencies looks like a solid "wall," rather than the jagged streams that come with a truly dynamic recording.

john r
Heck, I still prefer Bowie's Raw Power to Iggy's remix (which might make a useful 2nd disc 'altmix' in a 'deluxe' editon).

me too!
Count me in! They've released the Stooges' debut and Fun House in very nice two-CD editions, so it would be nice to see the original Bowie-mixed Raw Power on CD as well. There is also an "original Stooges" mix that was made before the Bowie mix, which I've heard partly as semi-official outtakes, and they sound pretty nice as well. They're neither as crazy and trebly as the Bowie mix, nor anywhere near the "brickwall" levels of Iggy's remix.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 1, 2009 20:20

dcba
"giving head to John Wayne"... Who would love to in 1973?

No, it says "giving head to Steve McQueen" and then later "I'll make a bet that you're gonna get John Wayne before he dies".

Date: June 1, 2009 20:44

Nikolai
Britney

Steve McQueen, you mean.

No, I mean John Wayne.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 3, 2009 03:02

Drew - I have not bought any of them but I have heard them.

Date: June 3, 2009 10:29

Britney
Nikolai
Britney

Steve McQueen, you mean.

No, I mean John Wayne.

My apologies. Listened to it again and you're absolutely right.

Date: June 3, 2009 13:14

skipstone
Drew - I have not bought any of them but I have heard them.

Okay Skip, was just curious ... thanks.

Drew

Date: June 3, 2009 22:33

LieB
cc

john r

me too!
Count me in! They've released the Stooges' debut and Fun House in very nice two-CD editions, so it would be nice to see the original Bowie-mixed Raw Power on CD as well. There is also an "original Stooges" mix that was made before the Bowie mix, which I've heard partly as semi-official outtakes, and they sound pretty nice as well. They're neither as crazy and trebly as the Bowie mix, nor anywhere near the "brickwall" levels of Iggy's remix.

yes, that was "Rough Power"--I think it's interesting, too. It does make the band sound more like a typical rock band, but like a very good one, playing in a gym! Better to listen to than Iggy's mix, but I still prefer the original, it's so skewed and harsh.

Date: June 3, 2009 22:35

drewmaster
Britney
drewmaster

Drew

Yes.

That's good to know, thanks ... means that Universal didn't screw up.

Drew

no, that's not what it means--the censorship only happened on the US vinyl, as I understand it, not on other editions. And it was removed for the Virgin CD. It's possible that Universal had instructions to use the US master for the new CDs, but it's hard to see why.

Date: June 4, 2009 06:31

Another weird thing about these reissues - they all say 2009 on them. That's just so...odd.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: June 5, 2009 00:28

skipstone
Another weird thing about these reissues - they all say 2009 on them. That's just so...odd.

What's so odd about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-05 05:33 by ajc68.

Date: June 5, 2009 06:37

Because they're not 2009, they're 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976, etc...

Date: June 5, 2009 15:39

but it's the recordings that are copyrighted by Universal, in 2009. Don't confuse the album with the individual songs, which are copyrighted separately to the writers.

Date: June 5, 2009 16:00

Virgin 'copyrighted' the albums to their (original) release years. They aren't really copyrighted by the label. ABKCO did the same stupid thing. It's just not right.

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: June 6, 2009 08:59

I just bought the four new 2009 UMG remasters(Some Girls,Emotional Rescue,Tattoo You,Undercover)today and first the good news:they sound FANTASTIC!The irritating top-end on these albums are brought down to tolerable levels and the bass and mid range are brought up,making Mick's vocals clearer,the drums more bottom and the guitars more bite.Also no censored lines or shortened songs.The only bad thing is the packaging-with the exception of a different SG cover,its identical to the Virgins,so no new liner notes or photos.Anyway,rock on!hot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smiley

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 6, 2009 12:56

weren't they supposed to be released on june 8th??

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 6, 2009 14:07

skipstone
Virgin 'copyrighted' the albums to their (original) release years. They aren't really copyrighted by the label. ABKCO did the same stupid thing. It's just not right.

Do Rolling Stones Records get a mention in the copyright details? They were of course the "label" for a period from 1971 onwards.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: June 6, 2009 14:43

Stonewalled
I just bought the four new 2009 UMG remasters(Some Girls,Emotional Rescue,Tattoo You,Undercover)today

I sent them to the french media on june 4th, not released in France yet. Next week.

YM

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 6, 2009 16:39

...nah it's definately John Wayne

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 6, 2009 21:55

I´ve listened to the first four discs, one or two almost everyday since the day they were relaeased. And I must say I think they sound so good, I can´t detect any distorsion etc. Of course, all I got to compare to, are my vinyls and the CBS-CD:s, but these new discs sound really good.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: June 8, 2009 09:49

skipstone
Because they're not 2009, they're 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976, etc...

This is a common occurrence on remasters. I've never understood why they can't put both the original year of release along with the new copyright. They do in some cases, but it's very infrequent.

Date: June 8, 2009 11:18

dcba
"play 'Melody' or 'Fool To Cry' or' Cherry' and 'Negrita' and tell me my ears are telling lies!"
They're not. Acc. to our expert Nikolai B&B is the "best" of the lot so far...

Ha ha! Me, an "expert"! My wife'd laugh at me being thought as an audio expert, because she says I'm half deaf.

But yeah, B & B sounds absolutely terrific. I'm hoping that the remasters will keep on sounding better and better, the younger the album.

That said, I couldn't face buying A Bigger Bang for the third time. It sounded fine first time, ditto Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 8, 2009 13:51

ehy ehy anyone to review the new ones? out today!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home