Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: The Rolling Stones' Worse Concert?
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 16, 2008 07:18

Winning Ugly VXII
sweetcharmedlife
The 3rd London O2 show.

No way.Everyone said this was a solid show.It was definitely not their worst show ever.

Yes,a solid show on a tour full of solid shows. Not the pull out all the stops,play rarities,give the hometown a show of a lifetime type of hype we heard before hand. They could have done that show in Omaha on a tues night in in the middle of the tour. This was the last night of the tour in their hometown.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-16 08:35 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 16, 2008 08:05

Winning Ugly VXII
Zack
schillid
Philly 81
first show...

Yes!

It's certainly an entertaining show to listen to because it's so sloppy, and Ronnie going on about his lost ring. Tops was a disaster, and Satisfaction was deliciously horrible!

I'm not sure but I remember one show from 81 where during Let it Bleed they couldn't find the bridge (James Brown call your office!) and it just kept going and going . . . and going.

It was probably Phoenix,maybe Philly.

I was at the first Philly show in 1981. Lots of trainwrecks... I couldn't believe it was THE Rolling Stones.

They destroyed LIB... Mick stopped the song in the middle of a verse, and said to Ronnie something like: "No, it goes to F there."
And Ronnie said to Mick: "Oh... I thought it goes back to C." Then they finished what was left of that number.

The day wasn't a total loss... I drew this picture that afternoon:

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 16, 2008 08:50

sweetcharmedlife
The 3rd London O2 show.

I went to this one with a bunch of Stones die hard fans and we were all disappointed that it wasn't that special. We were expecting some real surprises as it was the final gig of the tour but it was a pretty average setlist and pretty average performance, I thought. Then I saw the amazing DVD of the show and changed my opinion of it as it aslowed me to see it from a widr perspective. So I guess it does also depend where you are sitting.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 16, 2008 10:18

giants stadium 2006, keith looked like bernie from weekend at bernie's

Posted by: black limousine ()
Date: August 16, 2008 10:56

I CAN SAY ABOUT THE SHOW I'VE BEEN, WELL ZAGREB 1998, IT IS SAID NOT TO BE A GOOD SHOW, BUT ABOUT LISTENING BOOTLEGS A REAL STATISTIC CAN'T BE DONE.
LISTEN TO THE DIFFERENT SOURCES OF SAME SHOWS, YOU REALIZE THEY SEEM A LIL DIFFERENT SHOWS !

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 16, 2008 10:57

The only thing disappointing about the 3rd o2 show was that they phoned in the setlist, even though Mick acknowledged the fact that so many people in the audience had been to multiple shows. It had a feel of 'lets get the tour ended so we can all go home'.

Performance wise it stood up as a solid show in it's own right - it just suffered by comparison by the two absolutely brilliant shows they'd done earlier in the week.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: August 16, 2008 11:39

Gazza
Turning To Gold
Friends who were there said that they thought Chicago/Soldier Field '06 was pretty weak. There was a sort of feeling like, this whole thing (Chicago outdoors in October) is just a terrible idea...

I have not heard the visual or audio on that one, though

I know quite a few people (on Rocks Off) who were at the show, and most of them were quite upset about how bad a condition Keith was in - in some cases they wouldnt even post it on the board but only mentioned it by e-mail - although some thought it was more to do with the freezing temperature and his resultant lack of mobility than anything else. There was also much alarm about his condition after the opening show of that leg in Foxboro. He was in a pretty sorry state for the first few weeks of that leg, but things certainly picked up for him as the tour progressed (maybe because they werent playing in freezing temperatures by the time they got to places like Austin!)

Certainly the show I saw at Oakland in November 06 was excellent- Good set list, well played - I was right by the B-stage and during that section they seemed to be having a great time. Check out the pretty good tape or DAC release for confirmation. I thought this and the 2 x O2 shows I saw were the best from 2005-7 of the ones I saw.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 16, 2008 17:24

Sohoe
<<...and Cleveland '78 would be better off to be completely forgotten>>

I think Cleveland '78 definetely has it's moments...the second half of the concert rocks imo...especially Tumbling Dice and Sweet Little Sixteen.
So true ....words of wisdom cheeers!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 16, 2008 18:41

nice drawing, schillid!

Date: August 16, 2008 20:34

I'd have to say my worst Stones show was the 3rd MGM Grand show in Vegas this last tour. It was deja vu. It was like the two previous shows. I was hoping for something a little different but I got the same ol' show. Yawn! But I think most of us will agree, a bad Stones show still surpasses most others best efforts.

Scotty

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 16, 2008 20:45

[email protected]
I'd have to say my worst Stones show was the 3rd MGM Grand show in Vegas this last tour. It was deja vu. It was like the two previous shows. I was hoping for something a little different but I got the same ol' show. Yawn! But I think most of us will agree, a bad Stones show still surpasses most others best efforts.

Scotty

I think many of us have been spoilt in recent years (& in particular since 1994). Those "classic" tours from 1969 to 1978 (& in 1981-82) featured much the same setlist throughout the entire tours, & even in 1989-90 they didn't change them that much.

Date: August 16, 2008 21:11

changing the setlist just wasn't an issue before the current age of wide sharing of shows via the internet and the nonsensical sport of setlist-watching.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 16, 2008 21:23

Yeah, who really wants to go to concerts and listen to songs never played before rather than tunes you've heard a million times before? Go figure!

Date: August 16, 2008 21:38

my point was that until the 90s tours, few fans had the sense that they had heard the songs "a million times before," because they hadn't. Particularly as "classic rock" radio only took on its fossilized form in the 80s as well. It hasn't helped that the band has kept touring without new material.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 16, 2008 22:36

cc
nice drawing, schillid!

Thanks, cc

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 16, 2008 22:39

I was at the Philly '78 show where Foreigner opened. We were up close and went down the day before from NYC on Amtrak and slept in the parking lot (maybe 2 hours sleep). Lots of partying going on. People trying to climb really high fences and walls and some made it in.
The Stones performance for me was great, like I said, we were in the first few yards of the stage. They played hard and rocked, the show was NOT more than 80 minutes long which was a downer.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 17, 2008 12:50

1981/1982 was a horrible tour.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 17, 2008 13:28

with sssoul
Silver Dagger
Is Hampton really that good?

~*YEAH!*~

>> What are the highlights? <<

LoFL! in addition to one famously spectacular Keith Moment, you mean?
it's the rock & roll show that has everything and then some. just get it, real quick smoking smiley

>> What are the best shows on DVD from 81 onwards. I have ... <<

a couple that spring immediately to mind are Atlantic City 89 and Saitama 06.

Exactly! These would be my exact choice!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 17, 2008 13:29

Silver Dagger
Shee-it! Am I missing something here? My evidence is exactly based on that lousy LSTNT movie. And not liking them much at Wembley in 82 so I never looked beyond that movie. Is Hampton really that good? What are the highlights? Think I'll order a copy immediately in that case so thanks for the tip guys.

Silver Dagger, have look here: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 17, 2008 15:06

JumpingKentFlash
Still Life isn't very good. Too bad because it's starts out very promising. The whole 1981/1982 tour itself doesn't seem very good to me either.

*Beep* Wrong! Great lineup (the last really great one), great stadium stage,
great outfits.

You better listen to some boots, otherwise you´ll miss some of the
greatest shows ever by anyone. Dallas I, Seattle II, Hartford -
to name but a few.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: August 17, 2008 17:00

Tantekäthe
I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..). Keith Richards could not be bothered, he delivered a lick here and a hook there, otherwise he was just posing and mugging, and his guitar performance in "Sympathy" (which was the usual bore, btw) was just atrocious. I really wondered what must happen before they finally will be booed off the stage. The average concert goer does not seem to care.

I had the time of my life. Best Stones concert I've ever seen. Best sound (can't get better than that), loud guitars, great seats and a fantastic audience. Ok maybe they were sloppy that night, but so were most of the BB shows. I don't care how bad the bootlegs sounds. The audience loved it, so did I.

Have a look at the clip and you'll see how great the atmosphere was:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-17 17:03 by ThatsWhatISay.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: August 17, 2008 17:05

TooTough
great stadium stage,
great outfits.

Now that´s sarcasm! winking smiley

Personally, I can´t stand the 1981/82 tour. Even Charlie sounded bored, uninspired and sloppy. Those who complain about the "atrocious" guitar playing during the ABB tour should listen to some random 81/82 shows. It wasn´t much better back then.

I think the more recent so-called "Vegas" tours (Licks 2002 in particular) are superior musically.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 17, 2008 17:06

Yes, Schillid, VERY nice sketch!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 17, 2008 17:20

ThatsWhatISay
Tantekäthe
I can not imagine anything worse than Cologne 2006. Ronnie Wood was completely out of it and produced nothing but blatant noise (and he was high in the mix..). Keith Richards could not be bothered, he delivered a lick here and a hook there, otherwise he was just posing and mugging, and his guitar performance in "Sympathy" (which was the usual bore, btw) was just atrocious. I really wondered what must happen before they finally will be booed off the stage. The average concert goer does not seem to care.

I had the time of my life. Best Stones concert I've ever seen. Best sound (can't get better than that), loud guitars, great seats and a fantastic audience. Ok maybe they were sloppy that night, but so were most of the BB shows. I don't care how bad the bootlegs sounds. The audience loved it, so did I.

I think Ronnie was quoted a few months later as saying that this show was one of the lowest ebbs in his life and at the time he wanted to die (I'm paraphrasing, but it was along those lines)

He was solid enough though when I saw him in Berlin a couple of days earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-17 17:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 17, 2008 17:38

stone-relics
I have heard just about every show that commonly circulates, and the one that sticks in my mind is Paris, Olympia, from the licks tour. They couldnt get anything right. I am still scratching my head why they put it on Four Flicks, but with the zillions of edits they did, it came out about a c-. But if you listen to the uncut audience tape....oh my....they guy I got it from, called it Band of SH@%.

I think he got it right. Horrendous. Followed closely by West Palm Beach Festival, 1969. Not really their fault, though, as at the WPB, FLA show, it was so cold, they couldn't stay in tune.

JR

I gotta agree with you. The first version of Neighbors played on the Licks tour was PHENOMENAL. I couldn't believe it was the same song. Sounded like a brutal kickass version of Respectable or something. More rocknroll than the punky 81 version could ever have been! Then Live Licks includes the version from Paris... I heard the bootleg and was sorely disappointed that they chose that version/show, which seemed very lifeless. There were TONS of other more passionate club gigs on the Licks tour, and I wasn't at any of them. Paris isn't a horrible show, I just didn't feel like it cough the right vibe.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: August 17, 2008 22:26

Philadelphia - 1978.

Date: August 18, 2008 03:27

How cold could it have been in West Palm Beach,Florida on November 30th ??

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 18, 2008 16:15

Gazza
The only thing disappointing about the 3rd o2 show was that they phoned in the setlist, even though Mick acknowledged the fact that so many people in the audience had been to multiple shows. It had a feel of 'lets get the tour ended so we can all go home'.

Performance wise it stood up as a solid show in it's own right - it just suffered by comparison by the two absolutely brilliant shows they'd done earlier in the week.

Spot on.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 18, 2008 16:31

Tornandfrayed
TooTough
great stadium stage,
great outfits.

Now that´s sarcasm! winking smiley

Personally, I can´t stand the 1981/82 tour. Even Charlie sounded bored, uninspired and sloppy. Those who complain about the "atrocious" guitar playing during the ABB tour should listen to some random 81/82 shows. It wasn´t much better back then.

Got to agree concerning Charlie. I couldn´t believe my ears the first couple of songs in Gothenburg 1982. The bass drum was here & there & everywhere. They even mixed it down for a while, at least that´s how I remember it. The overall sound was hollow and thin.
I think they peaked as a live band in the nineties. Just listen to Stripped and its companion, very good playing and Mick sings great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-18 17:52 by Svartmer.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 18, 2008 16:45

This has been discussed many times before, but there was something about the guitar sound of the 81/82 tour that I didn't like. The crunch and power of Get Your Ya Yas Out was gone. I saw two of the shows (Orlando & New Orleans).

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home