Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: A Great Song You Never Cared For
Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:41

Tumbling Dice. I've liked parts of it in some versions, and I understand why people like it, but it's not among my favorites. Live with me, though, mentioned above as a non-favourite, is a big favourite of mine, e.g. the Ya-Ya's version.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 15, 2008 19:43

JumpingKentFlash
Hang Fire is great and has that weird kind of positivity that was found in some songs in the early eighties, and hasn't ever been copied since. Think along the lines of Lindsay Buckingham's Holiday Road and you'll know what I mean. I love songs like that.

are you talking about the music or the lyrics? I'm not familiar with the Buckingham song.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:20

You Got to Move...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:24

CharliesSinger
>> that freakin gorgeous aRONK aRONK ... aRONK aRONK <<

Funny I always thought that one went kaDONK kaDONK.......looks like im gonna have to put Slave on right now just to check!!

No...sssoul is right..its definitely aRONK!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 15, 2008 22:37

cc
JumpingKentFlash
Hang Fire is great and has that weird kind of positivity that was found in some songs in the early eighties, and hasn't ever been copied since. Think along the lines of Lindsay Buckingham's Holiday Road and you'll know what I mean. I love songs like that.

are you talking about the music or the lyrics? I'm not familiar with the Buckingham song.

Holiday Road by Lindsay Buckingham.

Start Me Up.

Walking On Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves.

Hang Fire.

There's something that connects these songs. They're very early 80s positive. I like them all.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 15, 2008 23:06

I don't know if it's considered great, but the Stones seem to like it...

"You Got Me Rockin'"

Just seems so corporate rock from the title on down to the fake energy in the song.

I wish they would quit playing it live!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 15, 2008 23:13

Ruby Tuesday
Angie
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Miss You
Rock And A Hard Place

I just don't like those songs. I would not consider Rock a great song - it's a terrible song, the Stones by the numbers. I think the others are great songs, at least historically.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 15, 2008 23:25

The energy Mick gives You Got Me Rocking live does appear so fake. Its such a waste of a song in the set list since they almost always play it.

Date: August 15, 2008 23:44

I love those horribly done Tattoo You videos - Charlie doesn't even bother to look like he's playing what you're actually hearing and Keith just holds on to the guitar and Ronnie stays on the same chord forever...

Horribly brilliant - if one needs an education on how to make lame music videos, Start Me Up and Hang Fire are the best ones to watch.

Date: August 15, 2008 23:50

"There's something that connects these songs. They're very early 80s positive. I like them all."

without having the time to listen to the Buckingham, I think I know what you mean, in terms of a bright sound in the 80s. Lou Reed's "I Love You Suzanne" is like that. But "Hang Fire" is a rather cynical song to be put in the same category as "Walking on Sunshine" (a great cut in its way). There's a f!ck-it attitude, as when mick grunts "I'm a lazy slob!" That doesn't jibe with the get-fit, look-good, make-money philosophy of mainstream 80s culture.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 15, 2008 23:55

Miss You.

I don`t understand why they put it among the warhorses.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: August 16, 2008 00:02

Miss You - every version

Date: August 16, 2008 00:03

noughties
Miss You.

might it have something to do with it being their best-selling single?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 16, 2008 00:12

Well, ok, now I see.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 16, 2008 01:54

cc
noughties
Miss You.

Though I don't think sales figures have much to do with whether they become warhorses or not (I'm sure 'Fool To Cry' & 'Emotional Rescue' sold more than 'You Got Me Rocking'!).

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 16, 2008 02:08

Sleepy City
cc
noughties
Miss You.

Though I don't think sales figures have much to do with whether they become warhorses or not (I'm sure 'Fool To Cry' & 'Emotional Rescue' sold more than 'You Got Me Rocking'!).

Being warhorse doesn´t mean to be great ,and YGMR is a veryvery poor horse !

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 16, 2008 02:42

Winning Ugly VXII
I'm real surprised at (among other things) how many people don't see why Wild Horses is rated so highly.This is what a ballad should sound like.

Also,I don't believe that Angie is overrated either.The studio version is great with a classical music sound but,the 1973 live versions (Brussels + a few others) are where it's really at when you're in the mood to hear a ballad.

That's the whole point of this thread and why I started it. I recognize that Wild Horses is well written and a good production...but for some reason, I never liked it or could get into the song. As far as Angie goes, IMO, it's the worst song they have ever recorded...but that's just me...(and my wife, maybe that's why we've lasted 21 years, so far)

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 16, 2008 03:10

I guess I hate "You Got Me Rocking" so much because it seems like The Stones have force fed this song down our throats as a "great song" by playing it so much in concert. Maybe they need a 90's warhorse and this is the most arena friendly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was even released as a single in the States was it? I'm thinking I read somewhere it was top 40 in the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-16 03:36 by mckalk.

Date: August 16, 2008 03:26

Wow! You hate Angie more than Rock And A Hard Place! I'm stunned!

Angie is pretty bad but Rock is even worse!

HA HA!

Date: August 16, 2008 03:32

mckalk
I guess I hate "You Got Me Rocking" so much because it seems like The Stones have force fed this song down our throats as a "great song" by playing it so much in concert. Maybe then need a 90's warhorse and this is the most arena friendly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was even released as a single in the States was it? I'm thinking I read somewhere it was top 40 in the UK.

Thank you,perfectly said !!!

Date: August 16, 2008 03:48

You Got Me Rocking was released as a single in the States because I bought it at Tower! It made it all the way to 113 on the chart! Mixed Emotions was their last high charting single.

Date: August 16, 2008 06:16

BluzDude
Winning Ugly VXII
I'm real surprised at (among other things) how many people don't see why Wild Horses is rated so highly.This is what a ballad should sound like.

Also,I don't believe that Angie is overrated either.The studio version is great with a classical music sound but,the 1973 live versions (Brussels + a few others) are where it's really at when you're in the mood to hear a ballad.

That's the whole point of this thread and why I started it. I recognize that Wild Horses is well written and a good production...but for some reason, I never liked it or could get into the song. As far as Angie goes, IMO, it's the worst song they have ever recorded...but that's just me...(and my wife, maybe that's why we've lasted 21 years, so far)

It blows my mind that someone could seriously say that Angie is worse than "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys","Streets of Love","Gomper" etc..I wonder why it keeps making "best of" albums.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 16, 2008 10:53

skipstone
You Got Me Rocking was released as a single in the States because I bought it at Tower! It made it all the way to 113 on the chart! Mixed Emotions was their last high charting single.

Didn't 'Like A Rolling Stone' do better than this in the states? It did pretty well here in the UK.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 16, 2008 12:58

>> It blows my mind that someone could seriously say that Angie is worse than ... <<

well, but the topic is songs we know are great, right? the thread isn't about numbers we think are lame,
it's about personal foibles that undermine our ability to love a track even though we know it's great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-16 13:04 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 16, 2008 14:27

We know it's great. We know we OUGHT to love it. But for whatever reason, we don't. It does nothing (or not much) for us. And no amount of argument, persuasion or nagging can force us to like it (although it might force us to pretend we do).

The only hope is that someday. some version will flip that little mental switch and we'll get it at last (this happened to me with the SAL version of She Was Hot).

Date: August 16, 2008 14:30

O.K. but,the poster said he didn't like Wild Horses but,recognized that it was great.That's fine,I guess.On the other hand,they were not recognizing that Angie was even a good song and then went as far as to say that it's their worst ever song.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but,you have to draw the line somewhere.Nobody is their right mind can listen to Angie from Brussels '73 and conclude that it's their worst song ever.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2008 14:45

Can someone please nail up the list of the GREAT songs ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 16, 2008 14:48

Rockman-is this a thread or a threat ?

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2008 14:51

No threat.. just wanna watch the rumble over what is great and what ain't ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2008 14:52

Fool To Cry, Miss You and Emotional Rescue.

If I am not mistaken, where they not released one after another, here, in the UK? If so, what a trilogy of absoloute shite. Yet, they were all fairly big hits. Someone must've bought them!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home