Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: When did Keith first sing backing vocals with The Stones?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 12, 2008 23:18

>> skip to 1.33 <<

yeah, that press conference is a good example of Keith not listening to the question.
Mick seems to have been paying attention: i think his "i didn't know that" is his diplomatic way of saying "bollocks". smoking smiley
Keith wasn't a choirboy until he started going to Dartford Technical School at age 11.
the DarTech choir sang at a lot of venues/events, but if they performed at the coronation
it was before Keith's time. he did sing for the Queen at least once, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 23:28 by with sssoul.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 12, 2008 23:20

I bow to your knowledge. pitty you destroied my illusions though. was great to think of keith siging at the coronation in westminster abbey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 23:21 by therollingmanu.

Date: August 12, 2008 23:24

ahh but the truth is lovely too, once you get used to it!
he did sing at Westminster Abbey, and he did sing for the Queen,
and he has sung Little Queenie very sweetly ... just not at the coronation smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-12 23:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: August 12, 2008 23:27

well, that's something I suppose.

"she looks like a model on the cover of a magazine..."

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: August 13, 2008 04:04

Brian had a voice like a dog! (so it's a good choice for him he sang on Walking the dog)

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 13, 2008 05:24

Do any Stones songs have a Mick Taylor backing vocal presence? I was surprised at what a competent singer he is on his solo stuff. I think it's testament to their musicianship that they all can sing. I wonder if Charlie has a voice?

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 13, 2008 06:33

Mathijs
But we have to stick to the facts don't we. Keith sings backup on half of the first album, and about all songs ever since. He wrote most of the songs until '67, when Jagger starts writing as well. Keith is a brilliant backup singer, with a great voice that complements Jagger's beautifully. Jones and Wyman were crap singers, and that's all there is to say about it.

Mathijs

Fact: Keith never was a brilliant back-up singer. Keith's nasal whine was OK, but certainly not brilliant. The very few songs Brian sings back-up on were actually pretty decent- no worse than Keith's in my estimation. It's really hard to judge Brian's vocal ability on just three to four songs.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 13, 2008 10:26

>Do any Stones songs have a Mick Taylor backing vocal presence?

Taylor received backing vocals credits on IORR (the album) and can be seen singing b. vocals on the video of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg".

Date: August 13, 2008 10:28

<Fact: Keith never was a brilliant back-up singer.>

Do you really think that his bu-vocals on Exile On Main Street never was brilliant?

This is surprising.

Date: August 13, 2008 11:33

>> Fact <<

LoFL! your opinion, maybe - or at any rate a tendency you have when you're distressed.
but haven't most people in this thread so far said we enjoy Brian's backing vocals on the few tracks we can hear them?
sure, as you point out it's hard to say much about his singing voice on the basis of just a few tracks,
but - fact! - a few tracks are all he gave us as an example, so ... thanks & praises, eh?

do you like the Chess Studios photo i posted, neptune? i was hoping you would.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-13 12:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2008 11:43

Sleepy City
Mathijs
But we have to stick to the facts don't we. Keith sings backup on half of the first album, and about all songs ever since. He wrote most of the songs until '67, when Jagger starts writing as well. Keith is a brilliant backup singer, with a great voice that complements Jagger's beautifully. Jones and Wyman were crap singers, and that's all there is to say about it.

Mathijs

It's been a loooong time since Keith was "a brilliant backup singer"...

If he still sang like he used to then we wouldn't have needed Bernard Fowler for the past couple of decades (& if Mick's voice had deteriated as much as Keith's then the group would've been forced to retire years ago!).

A loooooong time? Keith has sang backup vocals from '63 until anout '78 -meaning he sang backup on roughly 95% of all classic stones material, including the '68 to '73 and '77 - '79 period, which includes Exile on Mainstreet, where he basically handles lead vocals with Jagger on half the songs with keith singing an octave above Jagger. It isn't until mid-70's that he looses his high pitched voice for a croaky voice, even turning into some kind of barking and screaming on the '82 tour. Nowadays they need backup vocals for Keith's vocal parts.

But Keith still has an encredible ear for harmony vocal. Only listen to the hauntingl beautiful Love Hurts with Norah Jones -try singing harmony like this yourself and find out how difficult this is.

Mathijs

Date: August 13, 2008 11:48

neptune
Mathijs

Mathijs

Fact: Keith never was a brilliant back-up singer. Keith's nasal whine was OK, but certainly not brilliant. The very few songs Brian sings back-up on were actually pretty decent- no worse than Keith's in my estimation. It's really hard to judge Brian's vocal ability on just three to four songs.

I personally find Keith's vocals on Exile brilliant -it is one of the main ingredients that gives the album its legendary status. Saying you don't like it is a bit like saying you are a fan of the Stones, except for their song writing and lead singer.

The few songs with a Brian we have are decent at best in my very humble opinion. He just didn't have a singing voice. Come On, Money, Walking the Dog all have the same croaky, barking voice that just isn't very pleasent. I think the only reason he did sing at all is because he still considered himself the leader of the band.

Mathijs

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 13, 2008 11:50

Mathijs
Sleepy City
Mathijs

Mathijs

It's been a loooong time since Keith was "a brilliant backup singer"...

If he still sang like he used to then we wouldn't have needed Bernard Fowler for the past couple of decades (& if Mick's voice had deteriated as much as Keith's then the group would've been forced to retire years ago!).

A loooooong time? Keith has sang backup vocals from '63 until anout '78 -meaning he sang backup on roughly 95% of all classic stones material, including the '68 to '73 and '77 - '79 period, which includes Exile on Mainstreet, where he basically handles lead vocals with Jagger on half the songs with keith singing an octave above Jagger. It isn't until mid-70's that he looses his high pitched voice for a croaky voice, even turning into some kind of barking and screaming on the '82 tour. Nowadays they need backup vocals for Keith's vocal parts.

But Keith still has an encredible ear for harmony vocal. Only listen to the hauntingl beautiful Love Hurts with Norah Jones -try singing harmony like this yourself and find out how difficult this is.

Mathijs

Well 30 years is quite a long time...

But by 1981-82 it was obvious that something needed to be done to improve the backing vocals, & I'm sure there was little disagreement between Mick & Keith in '89 about using Bernard (& of course both Mick & Keith had used female backing vocalists on their own 1988 shows).

I agree that Keith's voice still has alot of charm & soul by the way (I particularly like his duet on Jerry Lee Lewis' last album)...& I also agree that we don't have enough material to really judge Brian's singing.

Date: August 13, 2008 11:54

I think 1981/82 was about Keith not being sober. When I listen to Time Is On My Side from that tour, I hear brilliant harmony vocals on good days. However, on bad days I hear drunken barking smiling smiley

Date: August 13, 2008 12:04

>> When I listen to Time Is On My Side from that tour, I hear brilliant harmony vocals on good days <<

ahhh yeah: that amazing melodious howl - like no other, baby! can't get enough :E

Date: August 13, 2008 12:31

>> Well 30 years is quite a long time ... <<

but ... what 30 years are you talking about, and/or which Stone??
Mick is the one who (with a couple of exceptions) hasn't sung harmony during a Stones show since 1978.
of course both Glimmer Twins have been singing harmony steadily on recordings the whole time,
and Keith's been doing it in concert as well - yes, on a decreasing number of tunes,
but your speculation as to the reason for that is only one theory among several possible ones.

and please note that the 81/82 backing vocals that you're dismissing really groove some people a lot.
how the Mick might have felt about them is open to interpretation as well :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-13 12:32 by with sssoul.

Date: August 13, 2008 12:41

with sssoul
>> Well 30 years is quite a long time ... <<

but ... what 30 years are you talking about, and/or which Stone??

1955-1985, and Ian Stewart. ; )

Date: August 13, 2008 12:52

>> 1955-1985, and Ian Stewart <<

smile: that's what i thought. thanks for clarifying and have some popcorn

Date: August 13, 2008 13:48

<how the Mick might have felt about them is open to interpretation as well :E>

I think it's on one of the boots from Gothenburg 1982. Mick said to Keith, loud and clear: "You pushed too much". smiling smiley Don't remember on which song though...

Date: August 13, 2008 14:44

DandelionPowderman

I think it's on one of the boots from Gothenburg 1982. Mick said to Keith, loud and clear: "You pushed too much". smiling smiley Don't remember on which song though...

That comment is also open to interpretation though (not that I've heard it). Unless we have it on film, it could mean almost anything.

Date: August 13, 2008 15:04

DandelionPowderman

I thought Mick's addressing the crowd pushing in front, he also mentions people to be carefull.

Mathijs

Date: August 13, 2008 15:12

<I thought Mick's addressing the crowd pushing in front, he also mentions people to be carefull.

Maybe, but Keith's bu-vocals were particularly awful during the song before the comment. There was something about Mick's tone there, but you're probably right...

Date: August 13, 2008 16:56

DandelionPowderman
<I thought Mick's addressing the crowd pushing in front, he also mentions people to be carefull.

Maybe, but Keith's bu-vocals were particularly awful during the song before the comment. There was something about Mick's tone there, but you're probably right...

Can anyone remember what song they were performing?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2008 17:19

I've always liked Brian raucous voice on those early tracks it makes Walking the Dog more interesting imo. The Mick & Keith vocal blend is a perfect one though!

I like the 64 wild live clip of It's Alright, this might seem a strange thing to say, but it kind of puts me off Brian as it seems like he's trying too hard and it seems to really show up Brian's issues about leadership etc... Just how I see it.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 13, 2008 18:17

with sssoul
>> When I listen to Time Is On My Side from that tour, I hear brilliant harmony vocals on good days <<

ahhh yeah: that amazing melodious howl - like no other, baby! can't get enough :E

Come on, if you listen to the Hampton soundboard from the live broadcast you will realize why the had to overdub Keith's background vocals for the STILL LIFE album.

There are some recordings of 'Happy' during the 1975/76 tours where Keith just sings horrible while on other nights he sounded good. Was it the drugs or what?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 13, 2008 20:32

On page one, there was a discussion of Bill Wyman's song "Goodbye, Girl" (also bootlegged as "Get Back To The One You Love") which the Stones recorded, but never officially released. Its interesting to note that this song (which bears more than a passing resemblance to "Oh Baby, We Got a Good Thing Going") was copyrighted under the title "The One You Love" with Jagger/Richards listed as the authors, not Bill Wyman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2008 21:12

Rocky Dijon
On page one, there was a discussion of Bill Wyman's song "Goodbye, Girl" (also bootlegged as "Get Back To The One You Love") which the Stones recorded, but never officially released. Its interesting to note that this song (which bears more than a passing resemblance to "Oh Baby, We Got a Good Thing Going") was copyrighted under the title "The One You Love" with Jagger/Richards listed as the authors, not Bill Wyman.

That's interesting. So how is the case that we 'know' that it is Bill's song? What's the source of this info? Maybe Bill himself? As far as I recall I have learned it by someone(s) here along the years...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-13 21:12 by Doxa.

Date: August 13, 2008 21:23

Doxa
Rocky Dijon

That's interesting. So how is the case that we 'know' that it is Bill's song? What's the source of this info? Maybe Bill himself? As far as I recall I have learned it by someone(s) here along the years...

- Doxa

My source is Martin Elliott's 'Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002' book, but presumably there's other sources.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 13, 2008 21:32

If my memory serves, Wyman claims it was his song in STONE ALONE. I believe he even mentions a dispute over authorship with the session logs with someone crossing out his name and writing Jagger/Richards. That I can understand, but not sorting the matter out by the time the song was registered is a much bigger issue...if that's what actually happened.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 13, 2008 23:25

Mathijs
He wrote most of the songs until '67, when Jagger starts writing as well.

Mathijs

interesting... not to go OT for the thread, but what's the evidence for this? I thought those years were the ones when they collaborated the most.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home