Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bootlegs
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 7, 2008 02:34

Long time lurker, long time listener. Been a Stones fan since I was 11 when my older sister gave me a cassette of Tattoo You. I thought Mick was so cool in the Start Me Up video. Of course, she told me Little T&A stood for Rock and Roll. But I digress... Seen the Stones many times in Atlanta (where I live), Birmingham, Raleigh, Nashville etc. Favorite band of all time, got the tattoo to prove it.

In any event, I'm curious where the name of bootlegs come from. Does anyone know? I'm particularly interested in the Place Pigale series. Who would have named it that? If there were vaults open, would this series of discs suffice? I listen to those discs constantly.

Thoughts?

Re: Bootlegs
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 7, 2008 02:43

Hi there

Whoever makes the records names them - its pretty meaningless.

Place Pigalle is a square in the red light area of Paris. There's absolutely no connection with the location of the studio where the Stones recorded the songs on those bootlegs, as they were cut in Boulogne-Billancourt, which is a suburb in the south west of the city several miles away.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2008 03:58

Rim Shot .... That's the one I'm particularly interested IN ....Smokin' Cover...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-08 14:42 by Rockman.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 7, 2008 04:06

alot of the names come from something mick says up onstage or simply the name of a venue

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 7, 2008 12:39

Whores, Coke and a Bottle Of Jack has got to be one of the best names.

Date: August 7, 2008 14:04

melillo
alot of the names come from something mick says up onstage or simply the name of a venue

Or a line from a song - "Hear the Whistle Blowin'", "Ride Like The Wind", "A Shot of Salvation", etc...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 7, 2008 14:13

???????????

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 7, 2008 14:17

>> ??????????? <<

smile: yeah that's an excellent example, Toru-A! (from a somewhat twisted 78 rendition of Sweet Little 16, of course)

Date: August 7, 2008 14:47

Yep..correct..Jagger changed the line to "tight dresses and tampax" on one of the 1978 shows (was it Passaic?)

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 7, 2008 17:11

Actually, I tried to record the Stones concert at Stuttgart on June 19, 1976. I managed to smuggle a cassette recorder (unfortunately no stereo system) and excellent Sennheiser microphones into the stadium and recorded it. Afterwards I noticed that I had erroneously pulled out the microphone so the cassette was empty. Otherwise it could have been a decent mono recording.

If it had ever been released I would have called it STONES STORMING STUTTGART.

Most of the bootleg titles are pure invention if they do not apply to something connected with the recording.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 17:35

I have a live bootleg of The Cult from their 1989-90 tour, it's from the Wembley show November 24th or something. The opening track on Sonic Temple, what they were touring, is Sun King. The bootleg is called Then Sun Kings, which is obviously a typo. But it's amazing how silly, stupid and dumb things actually get out there title wise. I also think they, the booters, mis-spell things on purpose. It ain't a bootleg if everything is correct. It's almost like there is some unsaid law about that. Whether that's true or not I dunno but it's a funny way to look at it.

The boots I have of the Stones only one thing is mis-spelled that I am aware of so far - the Hot Stuff studio set, Almost Hear You Sight.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: August 7, 2008 22:55

Best bootleg title:

"Live in Japan 1990"
It's live in Japan, y'know, in 1990!

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: August 8, 2008 01:14

My fave was the Brussels 1973 recordings packaged as "Bedspring Symphony (A Box Lunch and a Meat Whistle)"

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 8, 2008 01:18

<<Jagger changed the line to "tight dresses and tampax" on one of the 1978 shows (was it Passaic?)>>

I'm pretty sure it was the Chicago show.

Date: August 8, 2008 01:20

Maybe he did it more than once. Its definitely on one of the better known soundboard sources from that tour

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 8, 2008 01:34

Yep, you're right...Ft Worth that is.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 8, 2008 02:14

I always thought many of those bootlegers have been much more imaginative than their official partners.
I liked: Cocaine on a dentist chair.(From a Keith story).

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: August 8, 2008 13:29

Where, pray, do the following old vinyl titles come from I wonder:

Rock Out Cock Out - Europe 73
Hot Pants and Wet Panties
Jean Clark Memmorial Sonic Barbeque

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: August 8, 2008 13:41

Who was Jean Clark?

Date: August 8, 2008 14:37

Some dead guy, I presume - going by the title

(and how come a new forum member as of a couple of days ago is now an 'anonymous user' ?)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 8, 2008 14:45

Gorgeous Girls Redux is an awesome title (And an awesome bootleg I might add). The way the title rolls on the tongue is cool.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 8, 2008 17:37

saltoftheearth
Actually, I tried to record the Stones concert at Stuttgart on June 19, 1976. I managed to smuggle a cassette recorder (unfortunately no stereo system) and excellent Sennheiser microphones into the stadium and recorded it. Afterwards I noticed that I had erroneously pulled out the microphone so the cassette was empty. Otherwise it could have been a decent mono recording.

If it had ever been released I would have called it STONES STORMING STUTTGART.

sorry..but your story made me laugh. i feel your pain....sorta like
forgetting to put film in your camera.

If it hasn't already been mentioned...Bootlegs also get their names
from rarely played songs that show up in the setlist or if a song
is debuted LIVE. Example: If a bootleg recording of the Chicago 2006 /
Soldier Field show existed...it might be called "Rolling Stones...On a Cold
Chicago Night" because they debuted She Was Hot (live) there.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: August 8, 2008 18:28

Most bootleg titles are plain embarrassing ... I'd always rather a desciptive title like the name of the city and the date of the gig; or "whatever-" demos, rehearsals or outtakes.

On the other hand I see the bootlegers' pride trying to come up with an imaginative title, as if they were "creating" the ultimate document or something.

Bootlegs are just bootlegs. The mystery just fade out when you learn the people behind are just your average Joe trying to cash in on a tape they are sitting on.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 8, 2008 21:05

Private use intended, I swear!: I've been expelled of a Bill Wyman gig and the tape taken away. O.k., I lost. But I 'menaced' them in case a bootleg would appear. No such thing happened. Honest security members.

Posted by: CoconutHead ()
Date: August 9, 2008 03:39

I started this thread but I don't think the admin liked my name. It's hard coming up with something different.

In any event, thanks for the info on bootleg names.

But no one answered my second question. If Place Pigalle was cleaned up and released, how do you think it would do? I love all the tunes on that box set.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: August 9, 2008 13:10

Going slightly off topic: Could you please copy/paste the set list from Place Pigalle box set? ... I have most of those tunes, but I'm considering hunting an original (yes, you made jealous, lol).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home