Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Poster for the 7/13/78 New Orleans Show
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 31, 2008 16:31

OK, I'm back! What can I say?! I can't stay away forever, and after allowing myself a chance to cool down and realize that I'll simply need to refrain from getting into heated political debates with some people here, I've returned and have a huge question.

I was just gifted a framed copy of this, and it's a numbered print 496/1000 and appears to be signed by a Danny something or other. Does anyone have any info about who painted this picture of Mick for the poster for this event? I'm assuming this Danny person is the artist but I can't make out his last name. Any info would be most appreciated.
thanks!
VL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-31 18:20 by VoodooLounge13.

Re: Poster for the 7/13/78 New Orleans Show
Date: July 31, 2008 21:25

I'm guessing no one has any info on this??

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 1, 2008 04:06

My first Stones show!
Wish I had one of those.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: August 1, 2008 04:22

any pics??

Posted by: peter ()
Date: August 1, 2008 08:34

Dear VL...I feel your pain...I'll save you a lot of time...I also own this poster...10 years ago, I posted the same question here..not one single reply...2-3 years ago I posted the same question..still, no one had a clue..this incrdible piece is not to be found or mentioned in any book that I can find...for 30 years, I've never met or heard from any fan that owned one or even really knew anything about this item...very strange..however, I have pieced together some info from here & there...I bought mine from an art gallery in LA in 78...I believe what happened is this artist created the poster hoping to make some $$..either the Stones legal team demanded he stop selling them or possibly the estate of Andy Warhol threatened because of it's likeness to what Andy was selling at the time..I heard the batch were confiscated & destroyed...except for the 2 you & I own !!!...someone on eBay offered one for sale last year for $2500 but received no bids...that was the very first time I had ever seen one surface...if you uncover any other info, please share with me.....peter

Date: August 1, 2008 15:22

Peter,
I've spent a fair amount of time online in the last 24 hours since I returned to the office and had a chance to look it over. A coworker gave it to me, as she was moving out of state and was trying to relieve herself of much of her goods. And knowing that I was a huge Stones fan, I was the natural inheritor of this wonderful item.

That is very interesting news though - what a story if indeed this has been destroyed. If there was one on Ebay that would mean that there are at least 3 of these out there. Thanks so much for sharing this info. What # is yours??

Do you happen to know who the artist is? I can't make out the guy's last name.

Doctor Dear!, I'm afraid I don't know how to upload pictures or else I'd gladly upload one. I could take a picture of it on my cell and send it to someone else to post. I won't be able to send it until Monday though.

Date: August 2, 2008 12:15

Dear VL...see what I mean ?...no other posts...BV doesn't have one...Bill German hasn't spoken up...Bill Wyman would know for sure..as far as I'm concerned as a collector, you only need this poster & the pinball machine....stay tuned for other opinions !....lol....Peter

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 2, 2008 16:10

There are a few of different New Orleans "comemerative" show posters. It appears New Orleans is a popular place for them. The good news is they aren't that common, the bad news is they are of little value as they are not official posters used to advertise the show. For a casual collector they are definately hard to find but I travel the world looking for stuff and spend at least 2 hours every day searching and making connections to find stuff. I have seen this one at least 10 if not 20 or more times. It is very hard to price something like this as it isn't official. It is effectively just a piece of poster art. It probably isn't worth any more than $200, I have certainly been offered them for that or less. What is most important is you enjoy what ever you collect.

I am always looking to buy stuff so if you have anything to sell or trade email me on: mattleeuk@gmail.com

Date: August 2, 2008 16:13

mattleeuk
It appears New Orleans is a popular place for them.

Apparently not since '94.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 2, 2008 20:06

The Stones may have been embarrassed by the low turnout at the 94 concert at the Dome. It didn't help that Ed Bradley and 60 Minutes were witness to this somewhat small crowd. The Dome certainly had overflow crowds at the 78, 81, & 89 shows.

Date: August 2, 2008 20:20

The Superdome is a huge place, but we have an NBA arena here now. I think the Stones could easily fill that.

BV actually had a rumored date for March '06 at the N.O. Arena posted on this site, but was removed soon after the hurricane struck N.O. in August '05.
Ironically, Billy Graham filled the Arena on the date the Stones were rumored for.
Shortly after that, Faith Hill & Tim McGraw played to an Arena audience that sold out the day tickets went on sale.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 2, 2008 21:54

I would be embarrassed too if I only had 20,000 plus some people show up when I had 60,000 way plus available...

Date: August 5, 2008 15:33

Mattleuk,
Do you happen to have any info on the artist for this poster?? Regrettably I've not had a chance to snap a photo of it yet. I'll try my darnest to do it today and then maybe someone will be kind enough to let me send it to them and they can upload it here.
VL

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 5, 2008 15:49

I'm guessing it's a commemorative poster created after the fact, in essence a bootleg as it perhaps uses Stones imagery without permission.

These things run the gamut from old fashioned cold-type telephone poll posters (the one with a Miss You era shot of the band promoting a '72 appearance stands out in my mind) to the beautifully rendered, vibrant silk-screens of Mark Arminski for example. Mark is a fabulous artist and at one time had a huge market for his "collectibles" however Nine Inch Nails and the Grateful dead, to site two examples, did not take kindly to his pirating of their names and sued the pants off the poor guy.

The '78 tour was thrown together in such a slap-dash manner I don't think there was time to commission any posters other than the Chinese Girl and I only remember her showing up in mag ads and the tour program cover. I never saw her on a poster for any show and indeed never saw a poster of that artwork period until, you guessed it, the Stones started selling those ridiculously overpriced commemorative "plate signed lithographs" of their old tour posters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 5, 2008 18:19

Is the Chinese Girl the picture/painting/drawing of the, what, bus going towards the city and the chick is standing tall pointing out? Something like that. I think it's the only tour hype I've ever seen of that tour.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: August 5, 2008 18:48

Is this the picture:
[www.expressobeans.com]

Sorry I do not know how to insert picture.

Date: August 5, 2008 19:21

That is it LSTNT!! Thanks so much for posting this!!

Date: August 5, 2008 19:23

LSTNT
Is this the picture:
[www.expressobeans.com]

Sorry I do not know how to insert picture.

There's no way a pic of Mick alone would have been used to promote any ROLLING STONES show. Keith would have gutted whoever was responsible. Somebody did a nice job, after the fact, of creating a commemorative poster using the Andy Warhol Mick.

Date: August 5, 2008 20:43

So then presumably we're dealing with a local artist who made these posters??

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 5, 2008 20:50

>creating a commemorative poster using the Andy Warhol Mick

That's not a Warhol.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: August 5, 2008 20:57

I tried to buy one of these about 5 years ago on Ebay but it was more than I could spend on a poster. I love this image more than any other Stones poster I have seen. I never saw any of these at that show and only saw it for the first time about 8 years ago. I was surprised it was for the 78 Superdome show.
I still want one but not for $100.00 Plus!! Also my First Stones show!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Date: August 5, 2008 21:02

Glam Descendant
>creating a commemorative poster using the Andy Warhol Mick

That's not a Warhol.

If it isn't, it's surely a fine homage even utilizing the "Love You Live" era Mick.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 5, 2008 21:13

Warhol is frequently imitated, moreso now than during his lifetime.

Warhol did a print series of Mick in '75, ten distinct images (i.e., poses). Mick commissioned a personal portrait the following year, then in '77 commissioned the LYL artwork. The image in the poster is none of those.

Date: August 7, 2008 11:26

Dear VL...see what I mean ?....peter

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 12:31

Hey!

I was given that poster for my birthday in 1983 by a friend of mine. I didn't know what to make of it at the time, obviously a Warhol look-a-like it didn't seem like something the Stones themselves would be connected to.

Sadly (and a little ironically) I had to give it away when I moved across country 7 years later . . . . only so much can fit in the granny's attic of those uhaul trucks.

Date: August 7, 2008 15:30

Actually, Peter, I've been able to find out quite a bit about the poster from here, granted mostly from you, but piecing that together with the other tidbits, and the history is pretty much all known................aside from the obvious of who the heck signed the damn thing!!

Date: August 9, 2008 10:40

VL....contact me privately & we'll discuss this topic....peter pstupar@aol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home