Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best Mick Jagger instrument performance (not counting vocals)?
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 13:20

jamesfdouglas
I'd read that Brown Sugar is Mick's song completely.

I have heard it many times too, but is it really so? I mean the whole intro, which is like the signature riff of the Stones is sooo Keith like.
Well, maybe...it is really Mick's riff and that is why Keith does so many mistakes there!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out to make Mick angry...
Well, it was largely discussed here, how Keith played it in a different key in Brno the last year, but for me a f..ked uf version of BS was the very first live experience of the Stones. It was in Prague in 2003, they opened with BS and Keith went terribly wrong. I didn't know the Stones much back then, so I didn't even notice, I realised it much later on a bootleg. The whole show was quite rusty - there was a celebretion of Mick's 60th bithday the day before, so the band was obviously tired, but what an evening it was - my first show and I was able to sing happy birthday to Mick! We stood in the 4th row by the b-stage and...I became a fan then...
But it doesn't really belong to this topic, so...the best Mick's instrument performance? The harmonica on Midnight Rambler for me!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:19

I would think that riffing for Brown Sugar IS the composition. It makes the song. It's not an arrangement - that would be taking those riffs and doing something different with them (for instance, Sad Sad Sad). The writing of a song on acoustic (say Honky Tonk) and then charging it up with electric and giving it something definitive - the riff, the lick - THAT is also the writing. It's distinctive to the song.

So yeah, Mick wrote Brown Sugar, specifically THAT riffage.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: August 7, 2008 23:40

The CASH REGISTER! Chaching Chaching Chaching Chaching!

PECMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 23:41 by Pecman.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 7, 2008 23:44

sure enough, here he is specifying that he indeed came up with the Brown Sugar riff: [www.timeisonourside.com]

(I've written riffs that people assume are Keith's.) Brown Sugar.
That was the first one I did. I've done many since.
- Mick Jagger, 1994

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 8, 2008 10:03

Thank you for the info with sssoul. It is my favourite song, so Mick has gained some credit now...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2008 12:08

with sssoul
I've written riffs that people assume are Keith's.) Brown Sugar.
That was the first one I did. I've done many since.
- Mick Jagger, 1994

Well, the guy decides to start writing riffs and the first he comes with is "Brown Sugar"... I mean, some of us ARE blessed with quite a potentia...

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1292
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home