Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith & Ry Cooder
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 3, 2008 15:29

A couple of things have always intrigued me...

(1) Why exactly was Ry Cooder on some 1968-69 Stones sessions? As a possible replacement for Brian?

(2) It is well known that Keith & Ry never got along, & also that (apparantly) Keith seemed to be very much leading the band during this era. Yet Keith refused to attend some sessions because Ry was there, & the rest of the band seemed happy to record with Ry instead of Keith!!!

Comments / facts / guesses anyone?

Re: Keith & Ry Cooder
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 3, 2008 15:36

It seems like they needed other peoples contributions because Brian wasn't contributing so much and perhaps they were feeling people out as possible replacements. I don't believe he is on any 1968 stones recordings though, only on some spring 1969 stuff. I'm not including the marianne single and the performance soundtrack as stones recordings as they aren't really band stuff.

Brian, Ry, Keith, Mick, Charlie and Jack Nitsche are all shown playing together in the photos taken by Michael Cooper at Redlands in spring 1969.

Scroll down and you'll see them here and we talk(or is that argue?) about the photos too, there's about 3 pages worth of stuff...

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-03 15:51 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 4, 2008 09:53

If the chronology works [not sure] I'd guess that Ry's initial presence may have stemmed from his contribution to the Performance sound track.
Or was it the other way round. I'm not a studied enough historian to know.;^)

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 4, 2008 10:04

wasn't ry directly responsible for wyman's 'downtown suzie' which was the first stones song that utalized the open g tuning?
his slide work on the stones sessions was/is innovative as well, and tho not outright used was undoubtedly noticed!

ry won't talk about those sessions anymore, and the glims are notoriously tight lipped about this kind of thing, but i think cooder's influence on the git sounds and style of the band and their subsequent works, can hardly be over-estimated, tho of course the band took these influences into their own style and context...
much undersung as an influence, as is sometimes jack nitsche...
the original 'memo from turner' is one of the best most impactful rock songs ever recorded imo.
cooder's discography is amazing and unique.

Date: August 4, 2008 11:31

Cooder plays on the spring 69 Sweet Lyle Lucie aka Downtown Suzie which was recordeed on the same night as the Jamming With Edward 'album' was recorded.

Brian had used open G years before so it's not the first stones recording to feature it.

The Performance soundtrack version of Memo from Turner is fantastic, one of my favourite 'stones' tracks, even though it only features Mick and he wasn't present when Ry etc overdubbed their parts. They received a tape with micks vocal and a click track and added their instrument overdubs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-04 11:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 4, 2008 11:35

Beelyboy
ooder's discography is amazing and unique.

Just check out his latest offering "I, Flathead" - it's brilliant

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 4, 2008 13:19

mofur
Beelyboy
ooder's discography is amazing and unique.

Just check out his latest offering "I, Flathead" - it's brilliant

It is indeed. I am allways sceptical of "return to form" "best since" comments. and as good as the last two albums were, they were never up ther with ihs best 70s stuff, this really is. check it out.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 4, 2008 16:04

He played Mandolin on Love in Vain and some slide on Sister Morphine.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 4, 2008 20:28

THE UGLY TRUTH ABOUT THE ROLLING STONES
From Old Gods Almost Dead by Stephen Davis:

Ry Cooder arrived at the Let It Bleed sessions in May 1969, brought in by Jack Nitzsche to fill out the Stones' sound. Cooder was put up in a little apartment near Earls Court. Some felt he might be asked to join the Stones as a perfect foil for Keith and were disappointed when he wasn't. Playing his fluid slide-guitar themes and original interstellar riffs, bursting with new ideas and approaches to the music, Cooder was involved in long taped jams with Mick, Charlie, Bill, and Nicky Hopkins that contained the germs of many Bleed-era arrangements. (Excerpts would be released 3 years later as Jamming with Edward on the Stones' own label.) On May 16, Cooder played on a band version of Sister Morphine (with different lyrics), as well as adding mandolin to Love in Vain. The Stones also worked on Midnight Rambler and Monkey Man, and Ian Stewart played piano on the fatalistic new Let It Bleed, which seemed to sum up the general gloom at the end of the 1960s. It was the antithesis to the Beatles' quiescent song Let It Be.

Cooder didn't like what was going on. "The Rolling Stones brought me to England under totally false pretenses", he told Rolling Stone a year later. "They weren't playing well and were just messing around in the studio. There were a lot of very weird people hanging around the place, but the music wasn't going anywhere. When there'd be a lull in the so-called rehearsals, I'd start to play my guitar. Keith Richard would leave the room immediately and never return. I thought he didn't like me! But, as I found out later, the tapes would keep rolling. I'd ask when we were going to do some tracks. Mick would say: 'It's all right, Ry, we're not ready yet.'

"In the 4 or 5 weeks I was there, I must have played everything I know. They got it all down on these tapes. Everything. Brian was still alive then, definitely a phased-out person, a sad character. Sometimes when we'd begin playing, Brian would grab a harp and start blowing into a mike. But most of the time he just sat in a corner, sleeping or crying. Jagger was always very contemptuous of Brian and told him he was washed up. They're bloodsuckers, man."

Date: August 4, 2008 21:10

The Stones must have gone trough a difficult time those days...an "excerpt" from M.Taylor:

Clues can be found from the very first recordings sessions shared with The Stones. Taylor's self effacing and humble opinion of himself never lead him to believe that he stood as a candidate to join the mighty Rolling Stones, he merely thought they asked him to come to the studio and lay down some studio tracks. Differences in musical abilities quickly surfaced at the Hyde Park rehearsals. Taylor remarks, " I just couldn't believe how bad they sounded. Their timing was awful. They sounded like a typical bunch of guys in a garage. Playing out of tune and too loudly. I thought: How is it possible that this band can make hit records?"

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 4, 2008 21:53

Amsterdamned
THE UGLY TRUTH ABOUT THE ROLLING STONES
From Old Gods Almost Dead by Stephen Davis:

Ry Cooder arrived at the Let It Bleed sessions in May 1969, brought in by Jack Nitzsche to fill out the Stones' sound. Cooder was put up in a little apartment near Earls Court. Some felt he might be asked to join the Stones as a perfect foil for Keith and were disappointed when he wasn't. Playing his fluid slide-guitar themes and original interstellar riffs, bursting with new ideas and approaches to the music, Cooder was involved in long taped jams with Mick, Charlie, Bill, and Nicky Hopkins that contained the germs of many Bleed-era arrangements. (Excerpts would be released 3 years later as Jamming with Edward on the Stones' own label.) On May 16, Cooder played on a band version of Sister Morphine (with different lyrics), as well as adding mandolin to Love in Vain. The Stones also worked on Midnight Rambler and Monkey Man, and Ian Stewart played piano on the fatalistic new Let It Bleed, which seemed to sum up the general gloom at the end of the 1960s. It was the antithesis to the Beatles' quiescent song Let It Be.

Cooder didn't like what was going on. "The Rolling Stones brought me to England under totally false pretenses", he told Rolling Stone a year later. "They weren't playing well and were just messing around in the studio. There were a lot of very weird people hanging around the place, but the music wasn't going anywhere. When there'd be a lull in the so-called rehearsals, I'd start to play my guitar. Keith Richard would leave the room immediately and never return. I thought he didn't like me! But, as I found out later, the tapes would keep rolling. I'd ask when we were going to do some tracks. Mick would say: 'It's all right, Ry, we're not ready yet.'

"In the 4 or 5 weeks I was there, I must have played everything I know. They got it all down on these tapes. Everything. Brian was still alive then, definitely a phased-out person, a sad character. Sometimes when we'd begin playing, Brian would grab a harp and start blowing into a mike. But most of the time he just sat in a corner, sleeping or crying. Jagger was always very contemptuous of Brian and told him he was washed up. They're bloodsuckers, man."

It's sad that Ry doesn't look back on at least some of his work with the Stones with pride (& it's even sadder the way Brian was towards the end). sad smiley

Date: August 4, 2008 21:59

I wonder what Ry remembers of the time at redlands where he is shown playing with Keith and Brian etc in those Michael Cooper pics!? I wonder if the tapes were rolling then!?

grinning smiley

Date: August 4, 2008 22:44

It's sad that Ry doesn't look back on at least some of his work with the Stones with pride (& it's even sadder the way Brian was towards the end [Sleep city]

Well he said this in 1970,I don't know what he thinks about it now...

confused smiley

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 4, 2008 23:22

Amsterdamned
It's sad that Ry doesn't look back on at least some of his work with the Stones with pride (& it's even sadder the way Brian was towards the end [Sleep city]

Well he said this in 1970,I don't know what he thinks about it now...

confused smiley

He does not answer questions about his relationship with the Stones anymore. He once said that The Stones had stolen a lot of his musical ideas. Which can be pretty true IMO.

Date: August 4, 2008 23:43

Date: August 5, 2008 00:50

grinning smiley

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 5, 2008 08:18

I don't know, The Stones seem to have been fairly inventive and creative before Ry Cooder came along. I didn't hear Sonny Rollins claiming he was responsible for their early 80's sound.
Some of this "I was ripped off by Mick and Keith" is getting old and dated. What did Ry Cooder, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Gram Parsons, etc.etc. ever write that compares with the Jagger/Richards legacy? Don't get me wrong I enjoy all of their musical contributions, but working with Mick and Keith seems to have brought out the best in these guys and they were never able to duplicate on their own. Have they done interesting work, you bet. Has their solo work touched millions and reached iconic status, not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-05 08:41 by mckalk.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 5, 2008 08:34

mckalk
What did Ry Cooder, Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman, Gram Parsons, etc.etc. ever write that compares with the Jagger/Richards legacy?

I was thinking the same thing. Rock and roll is a vicious game . . . at the best of times.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2008 09:17

Geeeeeez What's Cooder squakin' about?? ... He borrowed plenty from
many of the greats of Pre-War blues thru ta Soul....The early albums
esp are riddled with covers of Skip James...Blind Alfred Reed...Sleepy
John Estes....Woody Guthrie....Drifters ...Valentinos.....James Carr...
And Paris Texas is one hell of a lend from the work of Blind Willie Johnson...

Blind Willie Johnson....................Dark Was The Night-Cold Was The Ground

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2008 09:28

ry cooder comes off as such a whiner.... apparently a guitar tuning is equal to a song now! he invented the open tuning and all songs that use it are basically written by cooder even after he's dead!

what an ass.

where are the great ry cooder classics??? oh thats right he has none! oh wait didn't he record the buena vista social club.....?

Date: August 5, 2008 09:48

Ry Cooder one of the best ever slide players and a great student of American and Latin music...but he didn't invent shit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2008 09:54

but he didn't invent shit.

Yeah who did invent it???....always wondered about that one...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 5, 2008 11:19

seems to be some wayward consensus of ry's brilliance, minus a few bitches here and there. i'll always honor him for a number of important albums he's performed on, or put out of his own material. I've never heard him call himself a songwriter nor did he make a legal fuss. he was asked a question and spit out his impression and that's rock and roll. he is a uniquely gifted guitarist and he was there and that's his report.

So true, as always Rockman, about cooder's own various influnces and cops, you gottsa to cop a lick and a groove and then move around with the thang to get anywhere with the blues and rock....he he...
...and can we say his original and moving amalgamations of all those influences shows a high level of truly inspired artistry? the cat's deep. he's an original.

I'll also, just for me personally, often add a specific asterisk for ry and always honor him for bringing new colors and ideas and stylings and flourishes and grace to the ambiance that eventually created 'bleed,' and perhaps inspired other permutations that worked their way thru as riffs or whatever down the line. that's just the way i feel about it; i'm not trying to convince anyone out of whatever opinion.

and i'm far from shitting on anybody for a quick reaction to a question almost forty years ago. he shot from the hip whatever the reactions...so what?,,,sounds rock and roll to me...keithistic eveennnnn.....nor do i shit on the stones for long ago being somewhat notorious for grabbing glim rights to even old blues numbers they did not write...so what? i don't know which manager or member was grabbing publishing rights like crazy at which time and don't want to think about it right now....talkin' 'bout the music...but
it's the way they do what they do at times; at least a case could be made in that direction. that's it's own debate anyway, an often tiresome at times. ron and taylor wrote some stuff as we all know but i don't want to revive all those silly wars now.

having cooder over at that particular time was no fluke; the band was searching for itself, in some ways truly adrift for numerous reasons at the time...and soon a newly coming, and vastly different performance era, and an original member had to be replaced, now in an era where the top guitar giants of all time ruled the world and they hadn't toured in awhile...tho they still were making incredible albums one after the other including of course banquet, one of my three top faves.

imo, and others, cooder was an influence and an inspiration to one of the premiere Rolling Stones projects ever delivered and where's the harm in giving him some grace, (as many here have done.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-05 11:40 by Beelyboy.

Date: August 5, 2008 11:26

His Majesty
grinning smiley

angry smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 5, 2008 11:32

stoned in washington dc
oh wait didn't he record the buena vista social club.....?

Buena Vista is one great piece of art! Ry could be made saint for that project alone

C

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: August 5, 2008 12:09

There's a similarity between Ry's playing on Sister Morphine / Jamming With Edward and the Honky Tonk Woman riffs. Perhaps the Stones went through the Ry tapes and Keith picked up a certain kind of playing style for a bit, maybe this is one the the things Ry is hinting at. This is the theory I've had in mind for some time...

I agree about BVSC, the film is also great - recommended to anyone who hasn't already seen it.

Date: August 5, 2008 15:40

Keith almost certainly did pick up some influences from Ry Cooder.
which evidently stirred his interest and maybe prompted him to re-investigate the old open slide tunings and adopt them to create that classic "5 strings, two fingers, one ass hole" style.
Thing is, Ry Cooder could no more play like Keith than Keith could immitate Ry's unique slide intonation and vibrato.
Keith has always willingly admitted that there have always been better slide players around than himself.

I don't direspect Ry Cooder in the slightest. I have most of his albums and rate many of them very highly. I've spent hours down the years trying to cop some of those licks with my old Alka Selza bottle. ;^)
I just think that Ry sometimes gets a bit chippy and holds a number of grudges here and there. He holds some very negative views of the whole industry and many of the people in it. That, of course, is his right.
[A lot like Keith really, who also gets out of the wrong side of bed on occasion]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 5, 2008 16:24

Ry Cooder is a great guitarist.

That said his claim that Keith ripped him off (if true) is rubbish.

Jammin is the stones with Ry staning in Keith's shoes - it DOES NOT sound AT ALL like the same band with keith on board. Simple as that.

C

Date: August 5, 2008 16:34

liddas
stoned in washington dc
oh wait didn't he record the buena vista social club.....?

Buena Vista is one great piece of art! Ry could be made saint for that project alone

C

your post proves my point: why should ry get credit for that??? the music was done by cuban musicians!! all he did was contribute to getting them together and cash the checks...

but to say buena vista is ry cooder.. well thats ridiculous....

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 5, 2008 16:38

Deep down, I always felt that they "borrowed" a lot of his material....hence, why they don't open the vaults.

I'm sure Ry isn't the only victim.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home