Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith & Ry Cooder
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 5, 2008 19:10

Mick telling Brian he's 'washed up' while he's pushed to a corner? Keith abruptly walking out on Ry and secretly taping his session work with the others? This certainly is not a pleasant picture.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 5, 2008 19:50

neptune
Mick telling Brian he's 'washed up' while he's pushed to a corner? Keith abruptly walking out on Ry and secretly taping his session work with the others? This certainly is not a pleasant picture.

Not a pleasant picture, but is it a true picture?

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 5, 2008 20:45

Whatever Ry's input, good or bad in the world of the Stones, it was just a footigh for both Ry and the Stones. This is what Ry was more about.

Few musicians in any field can claim achievements anywhere near as wide ranging as Ry Cooder. Born March 15, 1947 in Los Angeles, Cooder's skills on guitar found him, at 16, backing Jackie DeShannon and at 18 forming The Rising Sons with Taj Mahal. He then began playing pop and rock sessions, helping give Captain Beefhart's Safe As Milk album a blues grounding while lending his exquisite slide guitar to, amongst others, the Rolling Stones' finest albums (Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers) and the Performance soundtrack.

Cooder's solo career began in 1970 with a self-titled album featuring songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly that proved him as a versatile blues interpreter. Never resting on his laurels, he spent the 1970s recording albums that found him collaborating with Mexican, Hawaiian, soul and rock musicians. Critically applauded if never selling large quantities, Cooder retired to creating soundtracks during the 1980s - when he transformed Blind Willie Johnson's 'Dark Was The Night' as an eerie, ambient slide guitar motif for Wim Wenders' 'Paris, Texas' he won a whole new audience. Yet as the films got worse and the soundtracks less and less inspired many wondered if Ry had settled for life as a Hollywood hack.

Hearing the music of Malian guitarist Ali Farka Toure reinvigorated in Ry a desire to create and the Talking Timbuktu album he went on to record with Toure proved a major hit, selling 750,000 copies. Cooder then teamed up with V.S. Bhatt, the Indian guitarist, and created another beautiful album of cross cultural guitar music. Then Cooder was hired to produce and play on what became Buena Vista Social Club - suddenly he found himself enjoying the greatest success of his career. The success of Buena Vista and many of its spin-off solo albums (several of which Cooder produced) has encouraged Cooder to step back into making his own recordings: Chavez Ravine (Nonesuch) is an epic project delving into LA's Chicano history and the Mexican-American music of the 1950s. Where will Ry Cooder go next? Somewhere musically fascinating, that's certain, for this most gifted of American guitarists.

and he has found a new vein of creative form. with hies last 3 album, the latest is up thyere with his best work.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 5, 2008 20:58

>> it was just a footigh for both Ry and the Stones <<

excuse the digression, please, but what is a footigh?

Date: August 5, 2008 23:30

with sssoul
>> it was just a footigh for both Ry and the Stones <<

excuse the digression, please, but what is a footigh?

err me and my typos, should read "footnote" confused smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 6, 2008 00:06

the HISMAJESTY pics are selfexplaining : Keith drinking and ass on a soft cushion when Ry is at work ass on a stool.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 6, 2008 07:17

Ry Cooder's big achievement to pop culture so far has not been his stellar slide playing, but that he popularized quite a few musical styles that were almost unknown before in this part of the world.
Reportedly, he didn't want to be a "solo artist" anymore after the "Get Rhythm" album of 1987, so he turned to soundtracks, music production and joining the band Little Village for a one-off album. He surely got quite a few solo recordings from his "non-solo-artist" years of the late 80s and 90s in his vaults. I'd love to hear them rather sooner than later, because his "I Flathead" record surely is great.
I remember a best-of-compilation coming out in the 90s (titled "River Rescue") that includes one new track, featuring Jim Keltner on drums and John Patitucci on bass, who also played with him on the Ali Farka Toure record "Talking Timbuktu". Hopefully, they've recorded some more stuff, because this is just stellar. Same thing goes for the band on the "Johnny Handsome" soundtrack. If you're into Ry, look for the albums of his former background singers Bobby King and Terry Evans, too. Cooder plays on many of them.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 6, 2008 07:20

His biggest achievement was playing on SAFE AS MILK.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 6, 2008 07:26

There is also his work on John Hiatt's "Bring The Family," which is an incredibly wonderful album, in fact, a classic; very spare, very ultra soulful. Ry's doing a lot of color on that one, guitar and otherwise. He's had a pretty wide and impressive reach, and continues to.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 6, 2008 13:24

toomuchforme
the HISMAJESTY pics are selfexplaining : Keith drinking and ass on a soft cushion when Ry is at work ass on a stool.

I really think that Keith photo is so loaded, as soon as I saw it and knowing the context it was taken in, well I dunno, the comment I put in the bubble seemed so natural, obvious and probably close to what he was thinking. grinning smiley

Date: August 6, 2008 13:26

Yes the " Bring The Family" album is one of my faves. featuring Ry,lowe & keltner which was to become Little Village, whic produced on dissapointing album and some average live gigs, a missed oppertunity.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home