Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What is the most played song ever by the Stones?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 1, 2008 23:11

Sleepy City
Gazza

This hasnt been updated for a while, and a few corrections ,may be due, but you can see here what songs were played by the Stones in each year throughout their career

60's - [rocksoff.org]
70's - [rocksoff.org]
80's - [rocksoff.org]
90's - [rocksoff.org]
00's - [rocksoff.org] (havent added 2007 yet)

Great stuff, & I look forward to an update! : )

One point: shouldn't 1968 also include those songs from Rock & Roll Circus that weren't filmed ('Route 66', 'Confessin' The Blues', etc)? As these were performed in front of an audience I think they count as more than just rehearsals / jams.

I'd also perhaps include Don Kirshnir's Rock Concert '74 ('Till the Next Goodbye' & 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg', performed with live vocals).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 1, 2008 23:22

Just by chance I found this info on my hard drive...there must have been a previous thread on this subject last year.

I miscalculated 'Satisfaction' in my reply to bobby lennox above when I said it had been performed around 130 times before the Stones debuted JJF, BS or HTW - the correct figure is about 100 more than that. (228 or thereabouts). I'm assuming it was played at every show from September 1965 through 1967. Setlists are hard to come by from that era, but 'standard setlists' from each mini tour all feature the song and it was played at every show from that era where theres a circulating recording.

So, as a result "Satisfaction" is at #4, JUST ahead of "Tumbling Dice"

Number of performances (give or take 5-10 I suppose,with the figures if anything probably slightly less as for missing setlists I'm ASSUMING the song was played going by the regular setlists from that specific tour)

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash (1,027)
2. Brown Sugar (997)
3. Honky Tonk Women (967)
4. Satisfaction (954)
5. Tumbling Dice (951)
6. Start Me Up (742)
7. Sympathy For The devil (719)
8. IORR (693)
9. Street Fighting Man (661)
10. You Cant Always Get What You Want (615)
11. Miss You (599)
12. Not Fade Away (570)
13. Midnight rambler (538)

'Not Fade Away' is a bit of a shot in the dark. It seems to have been performed on pretty much all of the 1964 shows after it's release, on the Australian tour in 1965, throughout 1966 before being only ever played again in 1994-95. The Stones played 322 concerts in 1964 (!!) so it was quite possibly played over 300 times in that year alone.

"You Got Me Rocking" has been played 410 times. It just seems like 4,000. "Angie", surprisingly, is only on 221.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-01 23:31 by Gazza.

Date: August 1, 2008 23:25

Sleepy City
Sleepy City
Gazza

This hasnt been updated for a while, and a few corrections ,may be due, but you can see here what songs were played by the Stones in each year throughout their career

60's - [rocksoff.org]
70's - [rocksoff.org]
80's - [rocksoff.org]
90's - [rocksoff.org]
00's - [rocksoff.org] (havent added 2007 yet)

Great stuff, & I look forward to an update! : )

One point: shouldn't 1968 also include those songs from Rock & Roll Circus that weren't filmed ('Route 66', 'Confessin' The Blues', etc)? As these were performed in front of an audience I think they count as more than just rehearsals / jams.

I'd also perhaps include Don Kirshnir's Rock Concert '74 ('Till the Next Goodbye' & 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg', performed with live vocals).

Theyre not counted...theyre neither live performances (as the whole band arent 'performing') nor do they take place in front of an audience. I only count actual concert appearances.

I wouldnt count a live rehearsal as a concert as such (you could do the same with the Marquee rehearsals in 1971..nor would I counnt live songs taped at a video shoot such as Bains-Douches 1983, St marks Bar & Grill 1981, Bagleys Warehouse 1995 etc)

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: August 1, 2008 23:26

Thank you very much, Gazza!
Very helpful, important and intersting list.

Date: August 2, 2008 02:21

Perhaps now we need a least performed song thread...

Difficult for the Brian era, but are there any songs that we KNOW were only performed once?

Date: August 2, 2008 02:55

Sleepy City

Difficult for the Brian era, but are there any songs that we KNOW were only performed once?

Yep

Down Home Girl (1969)
Con Le Mie Lacrime (2006)
Ventilator Blues (1972)
Sweet Black Angel (1972)
Stop Breaking Down (1994)
Country Honk (1976) - a few bars only
Moon Is Up (1999)
Jump On Top of Me (1995)
Lowdown (1998)
Might as Well Get Juiced (1998)
How Can I Stop (1998)

Unreleased songs :
Get Together (1964)
I'm Yours & I'm Hers (1969)
Worried Life Blues (1977)
You Gotta Walk Dont look Back (2002)
Who Do You Love? (1994)
Bob Wills Is Still The King (2006)
Wichita Lineman (2006) - 1 verse only
El Paso (2006) - 1 verse only
Learning The Game (2006)

Interestingly, most of those songs come from shows which were either one off non tour shows (Knebworth, Hyde Park) or tour shows which were filmed for TV or DVD (Miami 1994, Austin 2006, Paradiso 1995 etc)

40% of their released back catalogue has never been performed live
[rocksoff.org]
[rocksoff.org]
[www.rocksoff.org]

still some updates and corrections needed for 2006-07 - sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-02 03:06 by Gazza.

Date: August 2, 2008 09:23

Gazza
Sleepy City

Yep

Down Home Girl (1969)
Con Le Mie Lacrime (2006)
Ventilator Blues (1972)
Sweet Black Angel (1972)
Stop Breaking Down (1994)
Country Honk (1976) - a few bars only
Moon Is Up (1999)
Jump On Top of Me (1995)
Lowdown (1998)
Might as Well Get Juiced (1998)
How Can I Stop (1998)

Unreleased songs :
Get Together (1964)
I'm Yours & I'm Hers (1969)
Worried Life Blues (1977)
You Gotta Walk Dont look Back (2002)
Who Do You Love? (1994)
Bob Wills Is Still The King (2006)
Wichita Lineman (2006) - 1 verse only
El Paso (2006) - 1 verse only
Learning The Game (2006)

Interestingly, most of those songs come from shows which were either one off non tour shows (Knebworth, Hyde Park) or tour shows which were filmed for TV or DVD (Miami 1994, Austin 2006, Paradiso 1995 etc)

40% of their released back catalogue has never been performed live
[rocksoff.org]
[rocksoff.org]
[www.rocksoff.org]

still some updates and corrections needed for 2006-07 - sorry

Thank You!!! hot smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 2, 2008 12:08

Gazza, you're da man!

- Doxa

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 2, 2008 17:09

Amazing stats. Without Gazza's input I would have guessed Satisfaction was the most played.
But can Con le me lacrime really count as played once when it's just a translation and not even a different arrangement, like Country Honk?

Date: August 2, 2008 20:41

Yeah, I think it can - for two reasons

1) The Stones have officially released the song under that title and with those lyrics

2) It has an additional composer credit compared to As Tears Go By.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 2, 2008 20:55

Thank you very much,Gazza,
what a great work and effort,I had JJF in my mind as nr.1,but the rest ?
Some ideas but not really...
Will you post the list again when 06/07 are added ?
That would be nice,

Date: August 2, 2008 21:10

Gazza

1) The Stones have officially released the song under that title and with those lyrics

I salute you as the fount of all Stones recording knowledge. Respect!

Date: August 2, 2008 21:38

So, can we confirm three things:

(1) Since Hyde Park, there has been no Stones show without "Jumping Jack Flash".

(2) Since Altamont, there has been no Stones show without "Brown Sugar"?

(3) Since the first show of the 1981 Tour, there has been no Stones show without "Start Me Up".

Can we?

There might be some problematic shows, like the ones in London in 1969 after Altamont, as far as (2) is concerned; then some club shows like El Mocambo and Stu's memorial, but these are not 'normal' Stones shows.

- Doxa

Date: August 2, 2008 21:39

No to all three

Theres been a few on each tour. JJF has been omitted very rarely though - but this is one great show when it WAS left off

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-02 21:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 2, 2008 21:52

Gaz - Angie has been played 221 times too many and Miss You 599 times too many!

Date: August 2, 2008 21:56

Gazza
No to all three

Theres been a few on each tour. JJF has been omitted very rarely though - but this is one great show when it WAS left off

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks! But I'll give a new try grinning smiley

If we somehow disqualify certain special gigs - club nights - that are special in their own rights, and intentionally differing from their 'regular' gigs (perhaps this distinction is impossible to make), can we then say, that those three hold on, at least (1)? Or, to put it other way around: is there regular gigs aimed for a big public that are missing any of these songs?

- Doxa

Date: August 2, 2008 22:15

Doxa

(1) Since Hyde Park, there has been no Stones show without "Jumping Jack Flash".

(3) Since the first show of the 1981 Tour, there has been no Stones show without "Start Me Up".

Can we?

There might be some problematic shows, like the ones in London in 1969 after Altamont, as far as (2) is concerned; then some club shows like El Mocambo and Stu's memorial, but these are not 'normal' Stones shows.

- Doxa

I've been to several shows (all Europe) without Start me up. They didn't play it at O2 last year for eg did they?

Date: August 2, 2008 22:18

Lady Jayne
Doxa

Can we?

- Doxa

I've been to several shows (all Europe) without Start me up. They didn't play it at O2 last year for eg did they?

Good, this evidence is enough to count out (3). I'm sure Gazza will have evidence to shoot down the two others, too - even though I think (1) is a hard one.

- Doxa

Date: August 2, 2008 22:34

Lady Jayne
Gazza

I salute you as the fount of all Stones recording knowledge. Respect!

You're very kind but way too flattering. Theres lots of fans out there who have spent years writing books and researching this stuff (some of them post on here). In most cases, all I really do is use that info and collate it.

Date: August 2, 2008 22:41

Lady Jayne
Doxa

Can we?

- Doxa

SMU wasnt only played at every European show last year, it opened each one of them.

Date: August 2, 2008 22:43

Doxa
Lady Jayne
Doxa

Can we?

- Doxa

Good, this evidence is enough to count out (3). I'm sure Gazza will have evidence to shoot down the two others, too - even though I think (1) is a hard one.

- Doxa

Shows why you should listen to Gazza not me because checking the set lists they played it all three shows at O2 so I seem to have blocked it from my mind and am an unreliable witness.

Date: August 2, 2008 23:13

Doxa
Gazza
No to all three

[www.iorr.org]

If we somehow disqualify certain special gigs - club nights - that are special in their own rights, and intentionally differing from their 'regular' gigs (perhaps this distinction is impossible to make), can we then say, that those three hold on, at least (1)? Or, to put it other way around: is there regular gigs aimed for a big public that are missing any of these songs?

- Doxa

The shows that have excluded JJF/BS/SMU in recent years have tended to be theatre shows or short sets such as Juilliard (no JJF) or the Superbowl (no JJF/BS),

Off the top of my head, I cant think of any proper-length shows in stadiums/arenas from 1981 onwards that havent included all three of those songs (and maybe since about 1969-70 for BS and JJF), although there could possibly be one or two. SMU was excluded from just one BTB/NS tour show for example - Shepherds Bush.

One notable exception was done under duress - Brown Sugar was NOT played in Shanghai in 2006 - because the Stones were asked by the Chinese authorities not to play it, HTW, LSTNT, Rough Justice or Beast of Burden (!!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-02 23:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 20, 2008 15:11

Doxa

JJF was omitted at the first Atlantic City 89, as well as Paradiso shows 95, Sydney 03 and Stockholm club show 03. At least these come to my mind.

Doxa

Shanghai 06.

Date: August 20, 2008 15:49

Edited post...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-20 15:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 20, 2008 16:01

From my own concert experience of a meager 8 shows between '81 and '06 (1 show per US Tour; 2 Bigger Bang shows being the only exception), the only songs played at all 8 shows were:

Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women
Jumpin Jack Flash
Start Me Up
Tumblin' Dice

Certainly not the definitive answer, but might be somewhat representative.

Date: August 21, 2008 02:29

Gazza
Doxa
Gazza
No to all three

[www.iorr.org]

- Doxa

The shows that have excluded JJF/BS/SMU in recent years have tended to be theatre shows or short sets such as Juilliard (no JJF) or the Superbowl (no JJF/BS),

Off the top of my head, I cant think of any proper-length shows in stadiums/arenas from 1981 onwards that havent included all three of those songs (and maybe since about 1969-70 for BS and JJF), although there could possibly be one or two. SMU was excluded from just one BTB/NS tour show for example - Shepherds Bush.

One notable exception was done under duress - Brown Sugar was NOT played in Shanghai in 2006 - because the Stones were asked by the Chinese authorities not to play it, HTW, LSTNT, Rough Justice or Beast of Burden (!!)

Start Me Up was not played on the opening night of the Licks tour > Boston arena show > 2002 at the Fleet Center which is now called the T.D. Bank North Garden.

Date: August 21, 2008 14:46

Date: August 21, 2008 15:00

Lucky Boston!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 21, 2008 15:29

That first Boston show (Fleet Center) from the Licks Tour is SMOKING. Really kicking ass. I have the amateur shot DVD and it's very good. The atmosphere jumps out of the screen, which is a rare thing for an amateur DVD.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 16:32

Can't say for sure, but from 46 shows I have seen since 1990, only two songs have been played each show: Tumblin Dice and Brown Sugar.

So I would say those are pretty representative of the modern Stones era

Bob

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1199
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home