Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Ronnie again
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 28, 2008 14:53

Come on - Ronnie wasn't clowning around like that on the ABB tour and played some great and often brilliant guitar.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 28, 2008 14:55

he saved some shows last tour!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2008 15:02

kees
He was terrible already during the 1997/1998 tour and for most part of the 199 NS tour.
I witnessed it 5x in A'dam (hardly touched in guitar) and just listen to the boots from that area.

I remember a few iorr members telling more or less the same that I've never seen again on this board...

winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2008 15:11

all the ronnie bashing has to STOP.cmon my fellow stones fans let's get real we all know that ronnie has been the SUPERSTAR M.V.P. OF THE ROLLING STONES a bigger bang world tour.without ronnie where would the stones famous guitar sound be ?many times he carried the shows all by his 6 string self .pure nonsense this crap because of his illness that mick should can him and bring in another guitarst to fill his shoes .can you imagine the amount of bitching on IORR if that were to happen(i do not believe for a second that mick and keith and charlie would dare abandon there mate ROCKING RONNIE WOOD ) GET WELL SOON RONNIE YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS.and to all the haters go listen to some crap like oasis or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 28, 2008 15:49

Beast
Come on - Ronnie wasn't clowning around like that on the ABB tour and played some great and often brilliant guitar.

You forgot to add this..

smiling smiley

Posted by: kees ()
Date: July 28, 2008 17:10

I think that was the time when we still considered the Stones as 'Gods' and Gods are not so easily critisized.
But I remember when I came home and thought 'Jesus, do I pay some hard earned bucks to see somebody smoking and touching his guitar only twice during a 2,5 hr show?"
For me that was the start of the end of Mr. Wood. But there have been a few 'ups' too. He played strong during the Slide on this tour in Japan at the Budokan when I saw him and I think his playing at the 1995 Paradiso shows is not bad either.
But in general the guy is not a pale shadow of his Faces period and his great play during espec. the 78 tour.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 28, 2008 17:28

1cdog
I wonder just what Ronnie brings to the party (band) these days except maybe being an emotional crutch for Keith.

Some of his playing on the 2005 BB tour and some of the Licks tour was atrocious. Slop at best.

And some of it was spot-on brilliant, let's be honest. Ronne was great in the the Licks shows I saw stateside though I understand he did fall apart when they got to Europe. Likewise he was fine in all the American ABB shows I saw as well as Slane.

That's what I've always loved about the "real" Rolling Stones. They can be a collective work of genius or a trainwreck - sometimes within the same song. All those complaining about Ronnie's hit- and-miss approach no doubt also whine relentlessly about the band augmenting themselves with Chuck and Blondie, et al in order to sound too perfect.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 28, 2008 18:05

Beast
Dead right. How long before the Russian "kisses and tells" for some undisclosed sum?

To think, in the mid 60's, the Stones Mangement (ALO/Klein) were able to pay off one of Brian's pregnant girlfriends for the princely sum of around £50 smackers

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 28, 2008 20:23

IMO Ron was way more consistent, often brilliant during 2005 - 06 than some (NOT ALL!) of the mugging, awkward, stoned appearences I caught during 2003, or 1997. And he played beautifully throughout his beautiful 2002 solo album "Not For Beginners".

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 28, 2008 22:53

1cdog
Beast

You forgot to add this..

smiling smiley

No, I did not!!

I'll agree about some of the earlier tours, but he increasingly outdid expectations as the ABB tour progressed. Give the guy his due!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 29, 2008 00:00

Gosh, this thread is all over the place...

Yes, Ronnie has had shows in which he seemed to wave and pose way too much. He has also had shows when he just didn't play too well.

Of course, Ronnie's playing has been quite serviceable since Keith's injury. Others have pointed out well enough his role in holding the band together in the last year or so of touring...It doesn't seem likely that he suddenly got better as a guitar player; maybe he just got untethered. Regardless of the reason for his more prominent role, it will be interesting to see how he is incorporated into the sound on a new album and a new tour.

As to the rest of it, allegations of sexual harassment are so damning that they are almost impossible to defend, either in court or in the court of public opinion. From a PR perspective, for the Stones, it's a no-win situation to spend months or years airing various versions of the facts in the courtroom and in the press.

So, the fact that an organization chose to pay money does not really mean the story is true. It may be as she says, but it's also possible that she made it up. Another possibility (and a common scenario), is that the conduct was unwelcome from her perspective, but was not perceived or intended as being unwelcome from his perspective.

I think Ronnie seems like a good enough guy, but I don't understand why any of us are surprised when talented people (whether artists, musicians, football players or politicians) fall short of our standards for "good people."

I'm surprised at how eager we are to label him a bad, spoiled person and act though are greatly offended by his continued existence. In fact, most of us are capable of greater failures than his, given the right circumstances. I know I fall short of my own standards almost every day.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: July 29, 2008 00:43

Stop bashing Ronnie. He was fantastic on the last tour.

Sometimes I wish Taylor would join the boys onstage because I don't think he would add what you all think he would add. Ronnie is a much better fit (obviously) and he will get through this.

I love you, Ronnie, take care of yourself!!

Regarding the lawsuit with the stylist...well, I can't really imagine Ronnie harrassing anyone. He probably had a buzz and made a pass at her, and she's just a prude and bitch about it ($$$$$). She should have been flattered because she looks like a mess.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 29, 2008 01:02

"But in general the guy is not a pale shadow of his Faces period and his great play during espec. the 78 tour."

So are the rest of the stones! Its called growing old.....

Get over it.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 29, 2008 01:05

ROPENI
..but as a human being imho he is shit..

This makes me wonder. Do you really know him, or is your opinion based on what you read about him, not knowing wheather it is true or not ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 29, 2008 01:19

ROPENI
..but as a human being imho he is shit..

so that must be your opinion of mick also, since he has done far worse things than ronnie as far as treating people lousy and being a disgrace towards women

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 29, 2008 01:45

melillo
so that must be your opinion of mick also, since he has done far worse things than ronnie as far as treating people lousy and being a disgrace towards women

Again I have to reply with the same question: This makes me wonder. Do you really know him, or is your opinion based on what you read about him, not knowing wheather it is true or not ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 29, 2008 01:56

Rolling Hansie
melillo

Again I have to reply with the same question: This makes me wonder. Do you really know him, or is your opinion based on what you read about him, not knowing wheather it is true or not ?

Good question. How do you know what they are really like as persons? Don't believe everything you read and don't judge someone unless you've walked in their shoes.

Today's quote of the day is befitting....."People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news"
- AJ Liebling

Date: July 29, 2008 01:56

look what he did to jeri, look what he did to maryann, look what he did to bianca, look what he did to marsha, look what he did to the model from brazil, none of those are hearsay , they really happened

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 29, 2008 02:00

They're all terrible - didn't you see that thing I put on from the Alamo? Charlie and Bill wouldn't even SPEAK! They are DECEPTIVELY evil! Ronnie was encouraging Keith to piss in front of the camera and Mick was acting like they were/are all spoilt lil' childrens. Those three are OBVIOUSLY evil!

Bad bad bad bad terrible horrible people those Rolling Stones are. All of 'em. Every single one of 'em.

Date: July 29, 2008 02:05

melillo
look what he did to jeri, look what he did to maryann, look what he did to bianca, look what he did to marsha, look what he did to the model from brazil, none of those are hearsay , they really happened

What did he do to them? It can't be that bad, because they all still speak quite highly of him. (and I don't think he's paid them off LOL, they seem sincere)

As I said before, unless you were there and know what really went on, you shouldn't judge. No one's perfect, unfortunately not even Mick, but I think he tries.

Date: July 29, 2008 02:07

you werent there either but its ok for you to say they didnt happen, what gives?

so you READ somewhere that they all speak highly of him, so its ok for you to believe what you READ is that the rule?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-29 02:12 by melillo.

Date: July 29, 2008 02:17

melillo
you werent there either but its ok for you to say they didnt happen, what gives?

No, I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying don't judge. You don't know the real/whole story.

I have seen interviews where they have actually spoken well of him. (it wasn't third party tabloid trash)

Didn't Jerry tell Mick he could have flings as long as it wasn't serious, or something like that (well, that is a very stupid thing to tell the sexiest, most famous singer in the world). So, should I consider jerry stupid, no, because I wasn't in her shoes and don't really know what else was going on (or if this is even true). I also think some of these women thrive on the publicity and embellished stories to benefit themselves. As I said, I don't think he's perfect, but I do consider them good people (with weaknesses just like everyone else). If you had millions of $ and women knocking on your door, what would you do? (don't answer lol)

I tend to believe things more when it is an actual quote from someone instead of a journalist, but I am not saying what I read is accurate...I usually believe about half of what I read.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-29 02:25 by TrulyMicks.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 29, 2008 02:21

Ronnie played some great ABB shows, in particular after Keef's accident:

RONNIE BE GOOD!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 29, 2008 02:41

TrulyMicks
Stop bashing Ronnie. He was fantastic on the last tour.

Sometimes I wish Taylor would join the boys onstage because I don't think he would add what you all think he would add. Ronnie is a much better fit (obviously) and he will get through this.

I love you, Ronnie, take care of yourself!!

Regarding the lawsuit with the stylist...well, I can't really imagine Ronnie harrassing anyone. He probably had a buzz and made a pass at her, and she's just a prude and bitch about it ($$$$$). She should have been flattered because she looks like a mess.

First of, I like your support for Ronnie - but^^ there is no case or lawsuit (or did I overlook something?).
just because a paper claims something - does that mean its true?
even the woman or her mother are stating otherwise - its the media that makes a story out of it.
where has the "Presumption of innocence" or "being innocent until proven guilty" gone to, if you believe a crappy tabloid?

I have never heard of the woman before - but to assume: she's prude and a bitch is also quite over the top and appears in the same light as the media wants anyone make believe what kind of a monsters those "elder rock'n'rollers" are.

I beg to differ.
the reporter wasn't there, as far as I know!

Date: July 29, 2008 03:22

duplicate! oops!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-29 03:36 by TrulyMicks.

Date: July 29, 2008 03:26

First of, I like your support for Ronnie - but^^ there is no case or lawsuit (or did I overlook something?).
just because a paper claims something - does that mean its true?
even the woman or her mother are stating otherwise - its the media that makes a story out of it.
where has the "Presumption of innocence" or "being innocent until proven guilty" gone to, if you believe a crappy tabloid?

I have never heard of the woman before - but to assume: she's prude and a bitch is also quite over the top and appears in the same light as the media wants anyone make believe what kind of a monsters those "elder rock'n'rollers" are.

I beg to differ.
the reporter wasn't there, as far as I know!

Hello,
You have good points and are correct. Hopefully there was no lawsuit (and if there was I don't really care) and it is over the top of me to call her a prude/bitch. I don't know her. But I know women who are offended a lot easier than I would be. (I had a guy "harass" me before in the workplace and shrugged it off, no big deal, but his assistant knew about it and reported him! I couldn't believe it. She told upper management her theory as to why he didn't harass her...it was because she reminded him of his wife LOL). I just can't imagine Ronnie harassing anyone. He may have made a pass at her but "harass"...I find that a very strong word. Don't mean to keep repeating myself, but different people have different levels of comfort and what may have made her uncomfortable may have not have made a different woman uncomfortable.(what I meant by prudishness)

Date: July 29, 2008 03:33

tomcat2006
Ronnie played some great ABB shows, in particular after Keef's accident:

RONNIE BE GOOD!

Yes, he really stepped up when the pressure was on! Good for Ronnie!

Date: July 29, 2008 03:42

oh ok so i guess its ok to have a child with another women while you are still married, my mistake, mick is an angel, how dare i believe that horrible FACT i read in a magazine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-29 03:44 by melillo.

Date: July 29, 2008 03:51

I already said Mick isn't perfect...and I didn't say it was okay either...a lot in the papers isn't fact, though, it's trash.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 29, 2008 04:20

ERC6761

On the basis that I never "really knew" Adolf @#$%&, the fact that he is reported to have sent millions of Jews to their death does not mean that I can view him as being guilty. To do that, I would, of course, have to "really known" him.

You really are a complete fool.[/quote]

Man, c'mon - comparing Ronnie with Adolf - that's way over the top^^
only after the war the truth got acknowleged, worlwide.
I could go on, but I won't....

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-29 05:10 by open-g.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home