Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: 2012 Stones vs Beatle rooftop
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 9, 2013 23:58

I want to start a thread.

DoomNGloom 2012 vs DoomAndGloom 2013.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2013 00:10

kish_stoned
beatles left the building 40 years ago stones are still hear playing live

What?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2013 00:18

DoomandGloom
With a few weeks to digest what we witnessed I can't help but become less critical of the Stones performances and begin to place those nights in historical perspective. In a way the anniversary celebration can only be compared to The Beatles goodbye some 40 years ago and I'd say The Stones did pretty darn good with their farewell which I hope continues for a decade...

Neither was a farewell. The Beatles did not know at the time that they had only one album left in them. The rooftop concert happened because the idea behind the film they were shooting was that it should begin with filmed rehearsals and culminate in a live concert. Paul had all these ideas about playing live all over the world, some grandiose ideas like at the Pyramids of Egypt or something. But none of the other Beatles were warming to Paul's ideas, so in the end a compromise was made and they decided to play a set up on the roof of the Apple building, which turned out to be great for the film because some of the disapproving business people in the Savile Row area called the police and it made for a more dramatic close to the film. By the way, the rooftop concert wasn't really a concert per se, because they were filming a movie, so some songs had 2 takes [3 takes of Get Back], and there would be directorial pauses between filming takes. So not an actual concert.

No reason, then, to compare it with the 2012 outings of The Stones, which also were not farewell shows, but rather a nod to their 50th anniversary. The Stones, as well as Jagger himself, have said that they are keen on the idea of further shows in 2013.

The final Stones concert will not be announced beforehand, but rather will have already happened in retrospect, once one of the remaining core 3 members bids farewell to life on earth.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 10, 2013 02:14

GravityBoy
I want to start a thread.

DoomNGloom 2012 vs DoomAndGloom 2013.
The 2012 guy was cooler.

Date: January 10, 2013 02:27

Munichhilton
2000man
2012 Stones vs Fat Elvis?

Elvis was singing his fat ass off like he still meant it (well except for Hound Dog...oh and All Shook Up....and well a few others)...

The Stones would be shamed

Yes, but he was laughing his ass off through Lonesome Tonight. If you can laugh like that, you must not be that lonesome tonight, or any other night for that matter.

"And the stage is bare, and I'm standing there... without any hair"

Laugh Me Tender was a hoot as well....

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 04:18

I enjoyed the 2012 Stones, but I don't really see it as a historical event. It was a celebration of historical events in the band's past, and I liked what I heard. I don't think it's going to wind up in the history books or anything.

Having said that, I've always found the Rooftop Concert overrated, and I'm a Beatles fan. It's one of those things that sounds cool and very novel in theory, but in reality it was kind of a boring music video shoot. I was so excited the first time I got my hands on a copy of the Rooftop Concert, because of all the hype and the historical importance rock historians have put on it. But listening to it was pretty anti-climactic. It sounds a lot cooler than it actually was. I'd rather have been at Shea Stadium or some other actual concert.

Posted by: micksgirl1 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 04:54

So cool I would have passed out cold on the sidewalk! 25 in '75!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 05:08

Those Fabs were a bunch of copycats.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 10, 2013 08:11

The Four Young Savages Guys

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 08:13 by Come On.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 16:03

Is this the guy who posts messages and then responds to them under a different name? Give him a break. It's a disorder. I should know. After all, I'm a doctor.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 10, 2013 16:20

stonehearted
If you can laugh like that, you must not be that lonesome tonight, or any other night for that matter.

I'd say it's obvious that Elvis is ON something that night, it's not obvious that he's "not lonesome" tonight, when acting like he does. Doesn't strike me as "happy laughter" ...

THe Elvis shows of 1977 are wierd to listen to.....because they're so bad, compared to concerts from previous years, yet he always has a couple of numbers that are incredible, like he's giving it all a few places during the concerts

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 10, 2013 18:31

Frankly, I don't see anything to compare with each other in 2012 Stones vs Beatles Rooftop.

What could be compared, imho, is, of course, Stones Flatbed vs Beatles Rooftop, and, I believe it actually has been discussed in many another thread over again.

Seems, we're back to times in between gigs.

marcovandereijk
I considered this their "rooftop moment":

Date: January 10, 2013 18:35

Here's such a thread:-

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 18:39 by dead.flowers.

Date: January 10, 2013 18:40

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 10, 2013 20:44

Yes, the subject here is ludacris. However, I'm gonna play it straight.

The Beatles on the rooftop, at the time were playing ENTIRELY ALL NEW UN-HEARD SONGS.

Bealtes 1
Stones 0

Case closed.
Beatles win.
A great new album by the Stones won't make them 'beat' the Beatles.
The Sons of the Beatles need not rehearse anymore.
Go home.
Last call was an hour ago.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 10, 2013 20:58

the amount of crap about the beatles that we have to deal with here is appalling. and on a STONES site of all places....

Date: January 10, 2013 23:10

Erik_Snow
stonehearted
If you can laugh like that, you must not be that lonesome tonight, or any other night for that matter.

I'd say it's obvious that Elvis is ON something that night, it's not obvious that he's "not lonesome" tonight, when acting like he does. Doesn't strike me as "happy laughter" ...

THe Elvis shows of 1977 are wierd to listen to.....because they're so bad, compared to concerts from previous years, yet he always has a couple of numbers that are incredible, like he's giving it all a few places during the concerts

I was just making a pun on the song title and did not mean to imply that he was indeed happy--in fact, I believe he was deeply troubled. Yes, he was definitely on something, based on the slurred words, profuse sweating, and irregular half-hearted attempts at strumming guitar.

I believe Elvis' main dilemma at that time was that he was finding it difficult--if not impossible--to grow old gracefully in his game, to be mature and middle-aged in a genre of music that still prized his "young lion" days of the 50s. He might have found the solution had he lived longer, but, like Keith Moon a year later, he took just a few too many pills at the wrong moment.

Re: Which was cooler, the Stones on 5th Ave. or the Beatles on the roof?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 10, 2013 23:20

Elvis' main "main" dilema was that he was denied creative growth and lacked professional challenges to mature his art form. He had long outgrown carnival promoter Colonel Tom Parker and he was stuck playing second and third tier city markets for the remainder of his career, never setting foot overseas for any concert tours in Europe or Asia. Vegas was his comeback but it quickly drained him from any hopes and aspirations to find out what else was out there for him. He was in a permanent creative rut/dead-end with absolutely no one to guide him, artistically or professionally. Elvis Presley was one of America's greatest triumph stories and also one of the saddest tragedies.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 10, 2013 23:39

December 74; Taylor decides to quit the Stones after talking to Andy Johns. He tells Jagger this at a party. May 75; Ron Wood, looking and playing like a twin brother to Keith, plays his first gig with the Stones on a truck at 5 th Ave.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 10, 2013 23:55

Not even close - beetels = boring

Date: January 10, 2013 23:57

TheGreek
stonehearted
Neither. Macca beats them both by a mile in a scene filmed for his 1984 movie Give My Regards To Broad Street, where he is filmed actually busking [Yesterday] in front of a London train station--and no one recognizes him!

Here's the story behind that scene and what Paul thought about not being recognized in public, with a guitar and singing perhaps his most famous tune no less.

Paul McCartney Busking In London In 1984 & No One Seems To Notice

In 1984 Paul McCartney filmed "Give My Regards To Broad Street," and while the movie ended up being a flop -- the plot revolved around McCartney losing his tapes and trying to get them back by midnight -- it did feature one very memorable scene.

In the film, McCartney busks -- donning ruffled hair and disheveled clothes -- in front of the Leicester Square Station in London. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for McCartney, no one recognized him as the former Beatle.

“Y’know, they just made me up and dropped me off," McCartney told the New York Daily News in 1984. "I told ‘em we’d never get away with it, but they kept putting dirt on and rufflin’ up me hair -- I was looking better and better -- and I figured, why not."

"So I was standin’ there plunkin’ chords, doing this silly version of the song, and no one noticed it was me," he continued. "No one wants to look a busker in the eye of course, ‘cus then they’d get his life story. So they’d toss coins and I’d be going, ‘Yesterday, all my troubles -- thank you, sir -- seemed so far away.'"

Despite the obvious snubs, McCartney's pride wasn't wounded. In fact, he enjoyed his busking experience, as he recalled an encounter he had with a group of punks who just wanted to dance.

"This fabulous drunk Scotsman, who didn’t know me from Jesus, came up, threw his arm around me and gave me all his coins," he told the Daily News. "I started doing these little dances and some punks came by, studs and leather, and they were dancing, too. Not because this guy’s a Beatle, but because this was something happening."

And in case you're wondering what he did with the money, he donated it to a local mission. However, that didn't stop the media from saying otherwise.

"After we did it I made sure the money was donated to the Seaman’s Mission, because otherwise I knew someone would say ‘And I’ll bet he kept the money too, the old skinflint! So the next day on the telly this woman said ‘And Paul McCartney busked at the rail station last night and he kept the money too.’ I guess it’s a better story that way.”

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/paul-mccartney-busking-london-1984-give-my-regards-to-broad-street_n_1615119.html
i liked this movie .can you get it on dvd like in best buy or something ?

I haven't seen it in stores. It wouldn't be widely released, as it wasn't one of McCartney's more celebrated projects. The soundtrack CD is available in stores--I bought one not too long ago. The movie is available on DVD at Amazon for under $9USD and also here:

www.cduniverse.com/

Or, of course, you can watch it here, as the complete movie is available on YouTube.

Date: January 11, 2013 07:35

His busking of "Yesterday" might be the only thing to like about Broad Street - it's so bad that it needs to be seen to be believed. Most of his new renditions of old Beatles and solo material sound like karaoke. Lost in the shuffle - Paul's last great ballad, "No More Lonely Nights".

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 11, 2013 13:51

drbryant
His busking of "Yesterday" might be the only thing to like about Broad Street - it's so bad that it needs to be seen to be believed. Most of his new renditions of old Beatles and solo material sound like karaoke. Lost in the shuffle - Paul's last great ballad, "No More Lonely Nights".

I hope you have experienced his concerts since you can make such a statement.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 11, 2013 14:06

Beatles on the roof was cooler, absolutly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 14:07 by talkcheap.

Date: January 11, 2013 16:10

Blueranger
drbryant

I hope you have experienced his concerts since you can make such a statement.

I wasn't saying that his current live renditions are poor, just the Broad Street versions. And yes, I've seen quite a few of his shows around the world, the two most recent were last March in Rotterdam and December 2010 at the HMV Apollo in London. His live renditions of older material can be very moving, and much better than the soulless polished takes in the Broad Street film. I mean, even most Paul McCartney fans will tell you that Broad Street was his creative low point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-11 16:11 by drbryant.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: January 12, 2013 16:50

Explain..They did everything first? Did the Beatles turn white American & Brittish Kids on to American Blues Music...
NO THEY DIDN't...The Stones Did...
Did The Beatles Inspire Countless Groups of Young Blues Bands Such as The Animals, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Mountain, And So Many Other Blues Based Rock Bands...THe Beatles and The Blues...I Don't Think So...
Did The Beatles Help Revive The Career Of Classic Blues Artists Like Muddy Waters & Howling Wolf. Both of those Artists Have Publicly Thanked The Stones For The New White Audience... The Beatles Did Not...

Look At All The Blues Based Rock Bands That The Stones Influenced...
The Stones Laid Down The Blueprint For Rocking Up Old Blues Tunes and Writing Blues Based Rock N Roll. The Beatles And The Blues Had Nothing To Do With One Another..
I Would Venture To Say That The Stones Blues Based Approach WAS More Important To Rock N Roll Than The Beatles Contribution To Rock N Roll.

Even in 1968, The Beatles Themselves Completely Changed Their Sound. They Went From A Melodic Approach That Featured Orchestras& Strings, To A Blues Based Rock N Roll Sound... A SOUND THAT THE STONES HAD FIRST
NOW, WHO DID EVERYTHING FIRST?

SOULSURVIVOR

SOULSURVIVOR

Posted by: GrumpyCat ()
Date: January 12, 2013 17:39

soulsurvivor1

NOW, WHO DID EVERYTHING FIRST?

The Beatles

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 12, 2013 17:43

The Rolling Stones, much cooler. They performed live,close to people, and not hidden out of view doing an edited video shoot.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 12, 2013 17:45

I don't know how anyone who loves music could, in good conscience, bash the Beatles...I think that some Stones fans must consider it being disloyal to say anythng NICE about the Beatles. It is not being disloyal, and remember the early Stones were fans of the Beatles, wanted to be like them ( in SOME ways), and even socialized with them quite a bit in the 60's. They even timed the release of their singles very carefully so that they did not steal the thunder of the other band (by having records released at the same time.) I happen to love the music of the Beatles still, and I think McCartney is a mega talent. For anyone that doesn't think so, I guess they haven't seen him in concert.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 12, 2013 17:55

mickschix
I don't know how anyone who loves music could, in good conscience, bash the Beatles...I think that some Stones fans must consider it being disloyal to say anythng NICE about the Beatles. It is not being disloyal, and remember the early Stones were fans of the Beatles, wanted to be like them ( in SOME ways), and even socialized with them quite a bit in the 60's. They even timed the release of their singles very carefully so that they did not steal the thunder of the other band (by having records released at the same time.) I happen to love the music of the Beatles still, and I think McCartney is a mega talent. For anyone that doesn't think so, I guess they haven't seen him in concert.

i love you...or something

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home