Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Which was cooler, the Stones on 5th Ave. or the Beatles on the roof?
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 6, 2012 08:08

1968 is "the year" before 1969.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 6, 2012 08:10

shortfatfanny

by Ronnie Wood

wow that is GREAT artwork! Now Ronnie has finally found his callin' in this life....

The Beatles on the roof was much much cooler because the flatbed idea was well well worn out by that time. My favorite flatbed events were

1. AC/DC playing in Australia in their infancy (did you put the you tube video up here Rockeee?)

2. The Grateful Dead in the Haight district of SF - probably the second behind Jerry Lee Lewis in terms of who done it first, no?

Sorry about that GD reference there Tele and Munich, don't kill the messenger. peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2012 17:50

As in all ridiculous Beatles vs. Stones threads, my answer is: "I'll have both".

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 6, 2012 18:13

baxlap
The Beatles. The Stones had police blessing for the 5th Avenue stunt, while the cops shut down the rooftop concert.

thumbs up that is the point! rooftop was anarchy, they gave a sh&%$ about .... this was cool and no promo, they recorded that stuff, it´s on let it be!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 6, 2012 23:01

Four Goofy boys cooler than Stones - no way possible. The Goofies were never cooler than Stones, Amen.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 6, 2012 23:08

Jimi at Monterey

HMN

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 6, 2012 23:12

Yes way possible. Gonna have to go with Beatles here. All new material never heard before. Stones did one 4-year old (at the time) song. Plus, not surprisingly The Beatles did it first.

To write The Beatles off as just some goofy boy-band... people, you know better than that. Or should, anyways. That's like writing the Stones off as "White Suburban Beatle Coat-Tail Riders Who Played Fake, Diluted Blues".

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 23:15 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 6, 2012 23:15

if you could go back and stand next to the beatles on the rooftop or have front row tickets to the best night of the 72 stones tour what would you do?

sadly,most people would pick the beatles.myself i wouldnt stand out in the cold for 5 minutes watching them.their stuff sounds so dated now,its just got that groovy 60s trippy bullshit sound to it.

to me the only thing cooler than watching the stones on the flatbed would be watching the beatles be thrown off the top of a building.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: April 7, 2012 02:04

I always liked that scene in Let It Be when the well dressed businessman calmly climbs up the fire escape to stand on a roof to watch the Beatles play. The other thing is that the rooftop gig was five years from when the Beatles played on the Ed Sullivan show and you wouldn't even guess they were the same band, you certainly wouldn't have expected them to break out She Loves You or I Want To Hold Your Hand and we are only talking about five years.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2012 04:54

batcave
The other thing is that the rooftop gig was five years from when the Beatles played on the Ed Sullivan show and you wouldn't even guess they were the same band, you certainly wouldn't have expected them to break out She Loves You or I Want To Hold Your Hand and we are only talking about five years.

Incredible to think that the Beatles entire catalog was recorded in just seven years. Seven years is how long it's been since the release of the last Stones album.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: April 7, 2012 05:49

tatters

Incredible to think that the Beatles entire catalog was recorded in just seven years. Seven years is how long it's been since the release of the last Stones album.

Not just the catalog, but they also squeezed in the movies, the t.v. shows, the radio shows and the world wide tours in those 7 years. No wonder they were burned out by 1969.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 7, 2012 06:04

Thought they were both great, but The Beatles had more to it. More music, and was their last live appearance together. And they sounded great!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 7, 2012 09:52

On the Beatles film I love the geezer with the overcoat hat and pipe who casually climbs up on the opposite roof and then tries to look like he just up there taking the air.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 7, 2012 10:28

Honestman
Jimi at Monterey

YES INDEED !

in fact, you should say "Hendrix anywhere " !

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 7, 2012 12:19

Let it be is cooler in a way because of the coolness of the band, the total make over from the last time they performed live, concert being on a roof, the song selection etc.

But of course I'd pay anything to see a perfect version of the Stones 5th ave. flatbed truck film. Anything. Holy grail is what that is. I love it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2012 16:28

Redhotcarpet
Let it be is cooler in a way because of the coolness of the band, the total make over from the last time they performed live, concert being on a roof, the song selection etc.

But of course I'd pay anything to see a perfect version of the Stones 5th ave. flatbed truck film. Anything. Holy grail is what that is. I love it.

Sometime around the release of Some Girls, there was a radio documentary on the history of the Stones that included a more or less complete flatbed truck performance of Brown Sugar. I had it on a cassette for awhile, but it seems to have gone missing. Sound quality was poor. Similar to what you hear in the youtube clip.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 7, 2012 17:28

tatters
Redhotcarpet

Sometime around the release of Some Girls, there was a radio documentary on the history of the Stones that included a more or less complete flatbed truck performance of Brown Sugar. I had it on a cassette for awhile, but it seems to have gone missing. Sound quality was poor. Similar to what you hear in the youtube clip.
Part of the performance (and a journalist commenting the scene) is also preserved on the "Missing Jewels" box set. Sound quality is bad as well.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 7, 2012 18:33

No Ill have to go with the Beatles on this one. I dont want to but that concert and a recut - uncut - version of Let it bleed would be the greatest rock film ever probably.

Still I wish for a real good version of the 5th ave. PR

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:02

lem motlow
if you could go back and stand next to the beatles on the rooftop or have front row tickets to the best night of the 72 stones tour what would you do?

I would pass John a note to wear a bullet proof vest. The envelope would say "Do not open until december 8th, 1980".

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 7, 2012 23:09

lem motlow

sadly,most people would pick the beatles.myself i wouldnt stand out in the cold for 5 minutes watching them.their stuff sounds so dated now,its just got that groovy 60s trippy bullshit sound to it.

to me the only thing cooler than watching the stones on the flatbed would be watching the beatles be thrown off the top of a building.
Watching Beatles on top of the roof playing easy going songs or watching a high energy kick-ass Stones show with Mick Jagger in high energy top form - there is no question at all. Mick Jagger and Stones way ahead of Beatles.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:15

Easy going songs? Right. I'm sure people weren't sure if it was The Beatles up there or Perry Como eye rolling smiley

Date: April 7, 2012 23:30

GumbootCloggeroo
Easy going songs? Right. I'm sure people weren't sure if it was The Beatles up there or Perry Como eye rolling smiley
Yeah, wonderboys Beatles - Stones only is bullshit. Keith is lazy, Jagger doesn't know how to sing, Charlie and Bill are pure bullshit. Beatles learned Stones everything about Blues..... here we go again. Macca did introduce Mick and Keith to music - blah, blah, blah, blah

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:35

Originally, when they first happened, I would say the Beatles rooftop gig but now that 40 or so years have gone by, I'd go with the Beatles rooftop gig.

Date: April 8, 2012 00:14

Its too bad that one of AC/DC has been removed from Rockmans link. I saw it last month and thought it was cooler than the Stones and the Beatles put together.
Rockman's link didn't work so I hope the one below does.

I was living in LA when U2 set up on a roof downtown and played "Streets with No Name" , one of the only song by them that I like. It created major traffic jams as people rushed to see what it was all about. They made a pretty cool video of the event. I thought that was pretty cool at the time. But check out AC/DC with Bon Scott , these lads are the REAL DEAL , singing "It's a Long Way to the Top (if you want to rock and roll). Whoo Hoo!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2012 02:22

Naturalust
Its too bad that one of AC/DC has been removed from Rockmans link. I saw it last month and thought it was cooler than the Stones and the Beatles put together.
Rockman's link didn't work so I hope the one below does.

I was living in LA when U2 set up on a roof downtown and played "Streets with No Name" , one of the only song by them that I like. It created major traffic jams as people rushed to see what it was all about. They made a pretty cool video of the event. I thought that was pretty cool at the time. But check out AC/DC with Bon Scott , these lads are the REAL DEAL , singing "It's a Long Way to the Top (if you want to rock and roll). Whoo Hoo!

That has got to be one of my all time fave ac/dc toons.

Date: April 8, 2012 04:50

But that video is the studio version, not live.

Date: April 8, 2012 05:59

whitem8
But that video is the studio version, not live.

No doubt they were playing it live at the time though, maybe they didn't record it so ended up using the studio version. Good move by them I'd say, I love it. peace

Date: April 8, 2012 10:14

It is the same as the footage of the Stones, but the Stones at least used the LYL version. I dig AC/DC, great band, and saw them on the HighWay to Hell tour in Detroit. What a show! Definitely dig the Bon Scott years the best.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 8, 2012 10:23

The Police ruined the Beatles rooftop gig.

By NOT arresting them.

They so wanted to get arrested.

They should have stuck it out.

That would have been a great ending to the movie.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 8, 2012 10:41

Sleepy City
And excuse the typos, the "n" doesn't always work on this keyboard!

You silly cut. Try the letter M instead.

Both events were very cool, but the Beatles get the nod because they did their stunt six years earlier (never mind that bit about the Stones doing things six months behind the Beatles).

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home