Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lil Wayne sued for using Rolling Stones track
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 25, 2008 17:55

Maybe Lil' Wayne should hang out with C Murder. Because, c, murder can get you in jail. And, c, murder is against the law.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 25, 2008 17:59

About the Robert Johnson thing: nobody knows for sure who wrote the songs Love In Vain, Sweet Home Chicago and some others. Most people believe it was Robert Johnson himself, but ofcourse, that's what they want to hear. Apparently this Payne claimed copyright for the songs in the 60's..

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 25, 2008 19:28

The R. Johnson case - further investigated:

Apparently, there was a court case in 2000/2001, the Delta Haze Corperation (www.deltahaze.com) vs. ABKCO. The Delta Haze Corporation is "taking care" of copyright things regarding traditional artists such as Robert Johnson and others. Anyway, it seems that ABKCO had to pay some royalties for "Love In Vain" and "Stop Breakin' Down" to the Delta Haze Corporation.
(Source: Festschrift Ekkehard Jost zum 65. Geburtstag.
Hg. v. Bernd Hoffmann, Franz Kerschbaumer, Franz Krieger u. TP (Jazzforschung / Jazz Research 34).
Graz: Akademische Druck- und Verlagsanstalt 2002, S. 57-75.))

Which lets me assume that there must have been some court case where it has been ruled out that at least "Love In Vain" was written by Johnson or that the copyright belonged to him.

On the 2002 ABKCO cd-re-release of Let it Bleed, Love in Vain is credited to Johnson.

Whoever wrote those songs, one thing is for sure - it wasn't some Woody Payne.

Anybody got any more info on that? Might require an extra thread...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 25, 2008 21:37

>> Anybody got any more info on that? Might require an extra thread <<

yeah, or it might require a book.

Robert Johnson based his stuff quite firmly on the work of his peers and predecessors.
the way society thinks about songwriting credits and copyrights and what "original" means
has changed radically in an amazingly short time, and some people seem to want current concepts to be retroactive somehow.
but it doesn't work.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 25, 2008 21:39

Hey Logie,

The Verve didn't just sample a few seconds of the song, they sampled almost the whole song! At the time of the lawsuit, I'd never heard the ALO orchestra version so I thought that doesn't sound anything like The Last Time.
I then heard the version on the Hot Stuff page and then realized they just added lyrics to the music.

One thing about Play With Fire is that it's a Nanker Phelge songwriting credit so I'm sure the Bill and Charlie (and Brian and Ian's estates?) could look forward to a bigger than usual royalty cheque!

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: July 26, 2008 01:19

What is a "lil wayne"?

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:07

OMG, just imagine that as a result of the court case this piece of crap had to be credited to Jagger/Richards...

:Re: Lil Wayne sued for using Rolling Stones track
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:47

What a scandal if the people will associate The Stones with "explicit, sexist and offensive language"... our innocent choir boys grinning smiley

- Doxa

P.S. Green Lady already made the same shocking observation as I did!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-27 12:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:53

Papo
OMG, just imagine that as a result of the court case this piece of crap had to be credited to Jagger/Richards...

But the boys will not solely get their most relevent song but also their biggest hit since "Bitter Sweet Symphony"... And who said that Jagger/Richards cannot anymore reflect the trends of the day? >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: peter ()
Date: July 27, 2008 12:14

har har....Lil Wayne is toast......peter

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home