Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger's Vocals on "Satisfaction" Live
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 02:05

Another thread prompted this. To me, MJ struggled with this song for many years, not quite knowing how to sing it. I listened to a 1981 version, and then 1990. Both times he seemed to "bullfrog" his way through it, in a low timbre and it frankly was awful. On the SAL soundtrack (2006) he came much closer to the original version, and it was the best he's done it in literally decades. Of course, in recent years Mick's employed a vocal coach, so the training has, at least on this warhorse, paid off.

This observation will undoubtedly prompt criticisms of Mick's recent singing style, which has become "cleaner" in that he's actually singing rather than shouting. Some of you like it, some don't.

Re: Jagger's Vocals on "Satisfaction" Live
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 18, 2008 02:22

I'm not sure what he and his vocal coach have changed in recent years, but Mick's singing has become clearer, maybe...but definitely more nasally. Most of the warhorses suffer this nasal sound and it's an incredible distraction. His voice registers in a higher location and at times makes it sound very awkward.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 18, 2008 02:28

yeah, it's a shock in the SAL film when, after all the effective intro build-up, out comes mick sounding like he's in a wheelchair. "I waas bowh-an in a crossfiah hurrican, sonny..."

hadn't noticed the improvement on Satisfaction but I'll have to listen again.

Date: July 18, 2008 02:59

i've felt for a while that mick jagger is better than ever.. i know many prefer him in the 70s but i just think he's phenomenal and is carrying the band.. i just don't want him to waste his time with solo stuff. .concentrate on giving us as much stones as possible!

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 18, 2008 03:38

Just notice his voice in Austin's version. It might be overdubbed, but he has a strange voice on it as he was forcing on his voice

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 04:03

Nothing wrong with the 69 version. The best live version ever.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 09:58

I must say I like the way Mick sings now, but just yesterday I watched the Copacabana show and didn't like it much - I had a problem with the "nasal style" Justin wrote about. Well, I have seen this show many times of course and I have always enjoyed it. So maybe I was just in a wrong mood yesterday...But generally Mick's singing was great during the ABB tour. And Satisfaction is a true must, I only think that playing it on the B-stage wasn't the best idea.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 18, 2008 10:10

Well the entire 1981-82 tour he sang like he was taking a shit - he just grunted and howled the whole way through.

Posted by: Faye Slith ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:35

skipstone
Well the entire 1981-82 tour he sang like he was taking a shit - he just grunted and howled the whole way through.

yep, another reason why it was a crap tour...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 16:44

Faye Slith
skipstone

yep, another reason why it was a crap tour...

Crap tour? I thought so too since I saw te LSTNT movie in 1990...but only untill I saw the Hampton show the last year. What a show, what a performance! I am not really the one to judge that tour (I was 4-5 years old back then), but I am sure it was not bad at all.

Date: July 18, 2008 18:54

Well he also grunted and wuuuurgghed his way through the 75-76 tour. When did he really start singing? 1989? He really sang in 69, 71, 72 and 73. But then he stopped. Started emoting like a marine. Like a pylon being run over by a cement truck.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 18, 2008 20:00

My two cents view is that part of the 1976 singing style was due to the new comer Ronnie Wood.

I would that a domino effect.

Ronnie Wood's, shaky, flawed style (by comparison with Mick.T flawless style) pushed Keith to overplay classics or future classic Stones numbers - for instance, Honky Tonk Woman and YCAGWYW were too slow, and If you can't rock me/Get off my Cloud were way too fast and shaky. That the way the Stones started mimic themselves.

As a result, Charlie - who started to hit less its cymbals at that time, making the sound cruder - and Bill Wyman themselves lost a bit of their groove, as Charlie was following Keith parodic lead, and as Bill Wyman was following the two others.

Add the Billy Preston's viscous effects on keyboard, and you get the whole picture. Jagger had to adapt. But he had also his fair share in this decay.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:23

The band sounded fine since 1975. They've always re-invented themselver for each tour. Sloppy at times, but always with heart & soul. Only notable letdown has been the inconsistensies in Keith's playing/singing on the Bigger Bang tour. Maybe just the aftershock of his head-injury? Well, let's consider ourselves lucky the band's still alive and kicking after four decades.

Date: July 19, 2008 22:27

I think the time off after the Bang tour will hopefully help Keith. Get away from the touring and playing, the need to rest, take a break, mentally and physically.

I hope that is the case. I guess we'll find out in another 2 years or so eh? Ha - whenever it is the actually decide to tour again. I really have my doubts about next year. But that's just me.

Date: July 20, 2008 03:40

The Brian Jones versions live were brilliant. The '69 live version was sensational. The '72 version Uptight/Satisfaction encore was good in Philadelphia, but NYC Mick really had no voice. He was able to project, but there was hardly anything there. Listen to the soundboard of the 26/7/72 show. His vocalising is so brilliant, considering what he was working with.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 20, 2008 17:23

I agree with olorin post, on the austin show jaggers voice is strange on satisfaction, its kinda low sounding and a growl.His voice sounding different than the rest of the songs he sings in the show.Im sure theres some experts here can tell us if its been dubbed.

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: July 20, 2008 19:49

The Joker
Ronnie Wood's, shaky, flawed style (by comparison with Mick.T flawless style) pushed Keith to overplay classics or future classic Stones numbers - for instance, Honky Tonk Woman and YCAGWYW were too slow, and If you can't rock me/Get off my Cloud were way too fast and shaky. That the way the Stones started mimic themselves.

As a result, Charlie - who started to hit less its cymbals at that time, making the sound cruder - and Bill Wyman themselves lost a bit of their groove, as Charlie was following Keith parodic lead, and as Bill Wyman was following the two others.

That's some dang good insight, Joker! I know exactly what you mean about them mimic-ing themselves and I also like the "parodic lead," comment!

Personally, I most hate the current Satisfaction robotic back-up chant...

Wonder what Mick's vocal coach would do with Keith!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-20 19:52 by largelingerie.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 21, 2008 03:39

Twice since 1978 has Jagger gave an audience his best, cool Jagger-voice that we fans of his truly love.

1. Live Aid.
2. Webster Hall, 1993.

Sure, for Steel Wheels he bruoght it out for certain parts of some songs, but other than a few glimpses of the ol' devil on the Olympia DVD on Four Flicks, and maybe Paint it Black from SAL, Mick's 'awesome voice', which for me, fingerprints the band with it's signature of coolness, has been M.I.A.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 22, 2008 14:57

I anyone of you a rock'n'roll singer? Those who are know what it means to keep the voice throughout a tour ... you can't overstretch, so you try to get through as best as you could. That's what Mick's doing. All this compaining about his singing style makes me sick.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 22, 2008 14:57

I anyone of you a rock'n'roll singer? Those who are know what it means to keep the voice throughout a tour ... you can't overstretch, so you try to get through as best as you could. That's what Mick's doing. All this complaining about his singing style makes me sick.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 22, 2008 15:48

I don't think we can complain about Mick's voice. He obviously needs to look after it more as he gets older..and it's evident that he does just that.
It's also evident that he sometimes performs when it's not at its best.

That said, If anyone prefers the atonal bellowing and staccato shouting he was often guilty of in the 70s and 80s ...they must be crackers !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-22 15:55 by Spud.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: July 22, 2008 16:55

Meise
I anyone of you a rock'n'roll singer? Those who are know what it means to keep the voice throughout a tour ... you can't overstretch, so you try to get through as best as you could. That's what Mick's doing. All this complaining about his singing style makes me sick.

Yes, me too.

Date: July 22, 2008 17:28

Well, commenting about his log cutting days in the mid 70s and early 80s is not exactly complaining now is it? Just COMMENTING.

Damn, what, are you a mama's boy? If you get sick from people complaining about Mick's singing you're gonna need some serious help - have you read all the threads about Keith's hair and eyes and knobs and boots and shirts? ETC???

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 22, 2008 20:10

Meise

Hello?

I've been the singer in two Stones cover bands in my day.
David and I do our own stuff now.

Mick Jagger 'babys' his voice. Not announciation, no upper-register singing (robbing songs like All Down The Line and Rocks Off of their power), no passion. He's cheating his audience at the same time with this 'not overstretchin', cause it doesn't sound anything like the Jagger I loved as a kid.

He was the most distinct singer in rock history, yet phones it in tour after tour.

I'm not complaing about his singing style, Meise.
I'm complaining about the lack of style in his singing.

So... at this point in time the question is... could he still sound good now?
Is it him being used to using the lazy voice, or is he now simply to old to pull it off?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 23, 2008 10:18

largelingerie

Wonder what Mick's vocal coach would do with Keith![/quote

Keith's been seeing a vocal coach for the last twenty years and he's doing really well. He's already singing into the microphone. ;^)

Different story with Keith's voice isn't it. He lost that characteristic shaky tenor yars ago and went through a period of being very iffy in the vocals department.
Since then however he's found a deeper and grougher voice that's very different but suits him just as much as the old one did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-23 10:19 by Spud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home