Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Emotional Rescue without the falsetto?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 6, 2008 11:55

We started in Tørring right where Gudenåen starts. Ended up in Ry. So 52 kilometres in 2 1/2 days.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 6, 2008 12:53

Jagger's falsetto damages everything on which he uses it. I would prefer that he not sing falsetto, ever.

Nothing could have salvaged Emotional Rescue. When it was released, it was easily their worst first single off a new album to date. Time hasn't been kind to it. I hope it never shows up in a setlist.

Worried About You could have worked if not for his stinking falsetto. His attempts to sing it live are pretty cringe-inducing. "Baby!?!?"

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:07

Don't like Mick doing falsetto, it is useless

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:09

Oh Mercy still is untouchable. No need to be so general or categorical.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:19

Well falsetto has always run thru black gospel...blues...
...R&B...Soul... so Jaggs was probably just giving a nod to
some of the black-artists that had been knockin' him over the years...

Hell even if only go back a lil' and follow the most obvious links
you'll get a little taste of what was has gone down....Clyde McPhatter....
Frankie Lymon....Smokey Robinson....Luther Vandross...Al Green...Etc ...Etc...

And this ain't even diggin' deeeeeep...Start listenin' to comps of obscure R&B and Soul ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-06 13:35 by Rockman.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 6, 2008 13:26

What would Roy Orbison be without his falsetto?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 6, 2008 15:24

You wanna hear some serious wacky falsetto, check out the new My Morning Jacket album...

The falsetto on EM is great, I think, just like the "Ooh-ooh-ooh..." bit on Miss You, and the lead vocal on Fool to Cry. Falsetto may have sounded wimpy in the disco era (a la Bee Gees), but it was a great sound for other bands in pop music, like Queen and the Moody Blues, who employed it repeatedly in backing vocals to great effect. MMJ has done the chorus of falsettos/reverb backing vocal thing in a very similar way.

Even Bruce Springsteen has some falsetto lead vocals on his last couple of albums. And of course Bono used it repeatedly. Not everybody can be Prince, but I always like it when a band tries a new sound, you know?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 6, 2008 16:33

I actually find it difficult to imagine the song with anything BUT a falsetto vocal, and at the time it came out, I thought it was a great single with a modern, contemporaneous feel to it. Loved it to bits!

However, in his review of the album, NME's Nick Kent was very scathing of Jagger's vocals on the title track:

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 6, 2008 17:40

Doxa
The analogy to "FarAway Eyes" is a good one (but I am more positive of its goodness than Gazza). - Doxa

Eh? I love 'Far away eyes'.

Date: July 6, 2008 17:42

cc

As for "ER," Gazza aside (sorry!), was it more negatively received in the US? It seems to me that the conservative, classic-rock "Disco Sucks" campaign was a US phenomenon, as demonstrated by FrankM.

You forget that punk was much bigger in the UK than it ever was in the US. So, in the late 70's a veteran rock n roll band - who were already being targeted as 'boring old farts' - jumping on the disco bandwagon would certainly have been cause for widespread derision

Date: July 6, 2008 17:47

Edward Twining
'Emotional Rescue' is a perfect indication in my eyes to where the Stones could have gone musically, by saying that i don't necessarily mean by using the falsetto on all occasions, but the willingness to be experimental and different, which never really happened. 'Emotional Rescue' sounds nothing like the Bee Gees whatever anyone may say, it's a fine experimental track with a strange half reggae beat which really works in every area, and i think the Stones should be applauded for having the guts to release it as a single. It's tracks like 'You Got Me Rocking', 'I Go Wild', 'Mixed Emotions' and 'Rough Justice' that are really worthy of being derided, but i suppose they may be more palatable to some fans because they 'sound' more like the Stones.

I wasnt specifically saying that I think ER sounds like the Bee Gees, it was more a statement that THAT is what the reviews were like at the time.

I'm all for the Stones embracing other forms of music - many of my favourite Stones songs are tracks which arent their 'traditional' style (Continental drift, Torn & Frayed, Slave, Winter,Laugh i Nearly Died, If I Was A Dancer to name a few) and I'd agree that the 4 songs you mention above are pretty much throwaway songs anyway by their standards.

I just dont think ER was a good song, and it wasnt worthy of being released as a lead single.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 6, 2008 18:00

Gazza has a good point, they do country straight sometimes -- when they choose to.

I think it came out in the summer, I believe I remember hearing it for the first time on a beach. The entire record has a light, breezy summer time feel to me -- (good production, though I don't know jack about that stuff).

Anyway, r n r is music for dancing. How many times have you been on a dance floor when this song plays? EVERYBODY knows the song and it's silly rap and gets totally off on it. Maybe it was done with some fun in mind. Didn't someone suggest Keith hates it --perhaps because it's so silly?

Date: July 6, 2008 18:33

TeaAtThree
Gazza has a good point, they do country straight sometimes -- when they choose to.

I mentioned in the 'what sort of album should the Stones do next' thread that I'd love them to do a country/blues type record.

I maintain that they grasp country music better than pretty much any act I can think of who dont normally play in that genre of music.

And for all the arguments about how good (or not) they still are as a live act. when they occasionally choose to perform that type of music in concert, they invariably do it magnificently. 'Dead Flowers' and 'Sweet Virginia' were consistently superb on the Bigger Bang tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2008 20:23

When I was about 14 or 15 years old, there were two brothers my age from Texas that moved out to Southern California.
They were country music die-hard hillbilly/hicks (nothing wrong with that), and when asked if they liked the Stones,
they said "only the country stuff - Dead Flowers, etc." Anything else from the Stones, they just couldn't relate.
I'm sure their musical tastes evolved after awhile, but at the time they had a one-track mind - country music and country music only.
I can only imagine how they reacted to Micks Emotional Rescue falsetto...lol.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 6, 2008 21:05

Gazza
Doxa
The analogy to "FarAway Eyes" is a good one (but I am more positive of its goodness than Gazza). - Doxa

Eh? I love 'Far away eyes'.

Sorry Gazza - I put my words unclear, but I tried to refer to "Emotional Rescue" of which I am more positive than you do (that Jagger also has success with it).

- Doxa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 7, 2008 15:51

the falsetto is what makes this song anyone that does not care for this unique quality of jagger voice should go listen to amy winehouse

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 7, 2008 15:58

It fitted in those days. Can you imagine "Worried About You" without falsetto? I can't ...

Date: July 7, 2008 16:05

The Greek
the falsetto is what makes this song anyone that does not care for this unique quality of jagger voice should go listen to amy winehouse

I do, and shes great - so whats your point?

Like many people, I listen to a wide enough range of music to appreciate good falsetto singing. Mick's forced effort on Emotional Rescue isnt exactly something that would give The Temptations sleepless nights.

Its hardly what I'd call 'unique'.

his efforts on Tattoo You are much better, though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 16:32 by Gazza.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 7, 2008 16:16

It´s just a way to try something different, like on Love is Strong where he sings the first verses in a deep voice in order to make the song more interesting. I think it works.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 7, 2008 17:11

I like the falsetto in "Surfer Girl". Oooops, wrong board.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 7, 2008 19:45

Mick's effort on Emotional Rescue is nothing like the Temptations - it is harsh and mannered, not soft and sweet. That comparison is completely meaningless.Emotional Rescue stands on its own, and certainly doesn't resemble Motown by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: July 7, 2008 20:11

I remember trying to argue to my friends in the late 70's that the Stones were still big time rockers. ER being relaeased as a single did nothing to help my cause.

I also remember listening to the release press conference on the radio. Keith didn't attend, so it was primarily Mick talking. Ronnie made a comment that Mick was demonstrating his entire vocal range on ER, or something to that affect.

Since Kieth later stated his general displeasure with a lot of the songs from this period ('they all sound the same, but nobody listens to me') I wonder if his no-show was because of his lack of enthusiasm for the material?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 7, 2008 20:21

Here´s a qoute from Keith about this song:

This was all Mick. He wanted to go that way, with the clubby, disco-stuff. I didn't particularly, but it was a good song. This was shortly after I'd cleaned up my act, and nobody was taking a lot of notice of what I said at this point, because I didn't say much. I was trying to re-establish myself as co-leader of the band.

- Keith Richards, 1993

Taken from [www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: July 7, 2008 21:05

gazza you miss the humor and fun aspect of micks falsetto on emotional rescue .especialy the knight in shining armour .you will be mine all mine . very tongue in cheek

Date: July 7, 2008 21:07

Edward Twining
Mick's effort on Emotional Rescue is nothing like the Temptations - it is harsh and mannered, not soft and sweet. That comparison is completely meaningless.Emotional Rescue stands on its own, and certainly doesn't resemble Motown by any stretch of the imagination.

Never said it did, Edward. It was merely a response to a post which implied that those of us who remain unconvinced by how apparently wonderful his voice is on this song simply cant 'get it' because we're not musically sophisticated enough to appreciate someone singing falsetto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 21:09 by Gazza.

Date: July 7, 2008 21:09

The Greek
gazza you miss the humor and fun aspect of micks falsetto on emotional rescue .especialy the knight in shining armour .you will be mine all mine . very tongue in cheek

Oh I know its tongue in cheek, mate. Christ we're the same nationality, I can get British humour after all.

It just crosses the line into 'creepy' to my ears.

Date: July 7, 2008 21:11

Crackinup
I remember trying to argue to my friends in the late 70's that the Stones were still big time rockers. ER being relaeased as a single did nothing to help my cause.

I also remember listening to the release press conference on the radio. Keith didn't attend, so it was primarily Mick talking. Ronnie made a comment that Mick was demonstrating his entire vocal range on ER, or something to that affect.

Since Kieth later stated his general displeasure with a lot of the songs from this period ('they all sound the same, but nobody listens to me') I wonder if his no-show was because of his lack of enthusiasm for the material?

Keith definitely attended the ER launch party at (I think) Danceteria in New York(he also did a few interviews promoting the record, as far as I know). Was that the press conference you mean?

Date: July 7, 2008 21:13

okay i guess i can give you that one but jeez there are so many stones songs since we were growing up and my friends and i would say micks vocal was kinda shakey on that one.Gazza how about let me go when mick sings about hanging out in certain bars in nyc.very shakey but we all had a good laugh over it ?

Date: July 7, 2008 21:40

Yeah but he doesnt sound like a paedo when hes singing it...LOL

I find Emotional Rescue a very funny album actually. Theres a lot of self deprecating humour throughout it. Sometimes it works better than others. Some Girls is a similarly humourous record too.

Date: July 7, 2008 21:45

Gazza excuse me for being naive but what does paedo mean ?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home