Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Emotional Rescue without the falsetto?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2008 21:53

Short for paedophile. An exaggeration on my part, of course, but it always sounded a bit creepy to me..

To get back to the 'gay' reference on 'Let me Go', I think Mick acknowledged that 'when the whip comes down' was written as a tongue in cheek (if you pardon the expression) gay song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:00

Gazza
Yeah but he doesnt sound like a paedo when hes singing it...LOL

I find Emotional Rescue a very funny album actually. Theres a lot of self deprecating humour throughout it. Sometimes it works better than others. Some Girls is a similarly humourous record too.

I think the whole period - that I take to consist of the albums of SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU, and the tours of 1978, 81/82 - is typified with that strange humour. It is arrogant, self-parodic, nasty.. but goddam clever - I think the video of "Start Me Up" somehow captures the attitude. Somehow The Stones, and especially Jagger lost it during the 80's. UNDERCOVER was too 'serious' album, Jagger then lost himself to his solo career, and came out as this harmless Peter Pan athletic, and the band started making 'safe pastishe' music.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 22:02 by Doxa.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:02

Gazza
Crackinup
I remember trying to argue to my friends in the late 70's that the Stones were still big time rockers. ER being relaeased as a single did nothing to help my cause.

I also remember listening to the release press conference on the radio. Keith didn't attend, so it was primarily Mick talking. Ronnie made a comment that Mick was demonstrating his entire vocal range on ER, or something to that affect.

Since Kieth later stated his general displeasure with a lot of the songs from this period ('they all sound the same, but nobody listens to me') I wonder if his no-show was because of his lack of enthusiasm for the material?

Keith definitely attended the ER launch party at (I think) Danceteria in New York(he also did a few interviews promoting the record, as far as I know). Was that the press conference you mean?

You're spot on Gazza...well, according to the Daily Mirror at least.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:05

"Invigorating and absurd"--that nails it.

I'm as enamored of the Stones' tough-guy blues and rock'n'roll as anyone and I think "ER" is perfect just exactly as it is. "Yeeeeeessss you could be mine..." It's just such a great vamp.

I was too young to be buying their singles or albums in 1980, but I also love the fact that "ER" is backed with "Down In The Hole." A great contrast--blues (with topical references) tucked in next to the controversial new sound.

They're just so damn cool...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:06

i have another one Gazza "where the boys go".so much humor this was a very fertile period in the late seventies early eighties and it was all chemical fueled .my how that made the cream come to the top.after that the next album that really smoked was voodoo lounge .which come to think of it they should have won a grammy for but no not those sticks in butt idiots in hollywood .someone explain with the exception of a lifetime achivement grammy (big deal)why have the stones not been given there due?

Date: July 7, 2008 22:23

Here's Nick Kent's write-up from NME of the entire Emotional Rescue album:

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:36

Hard to imagine 'Worried About You' being sung in a bass baritone! confused smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 7, 2008 22:41

>> voodoo lounge .which come to think of it they should have won a grammy for <<

they did win a grammy for Voodoo Lounge.

Date: July 7, 2008 22:50

no dice stones grammy was for lifetime achievment award .

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 7, 2008 23:13

they got the "lifetime achievement" grammy in 1986.
they got the "best rock album" grammy in 1995 for Voodoo Lounge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 23:14 by with sssoul.

Date: July 7, 2008 23:22

The Greek
i have another one Gazza "where the boys go".so much humor this was a very fertile period in the late seventies early eighties and it was all chemical fueled .my how that made the cream come to the top.after that the next album that really smoked was voodoo lounge .which come to think of it they should have won a grammy for but no not those sticks in butt idiots in hollywood .someone explain with the exception of a lifetime achivement grammy (big deal)why have the stones not been given there due?

The Grammys didnt have a "rock" category between around 1967 and 1979. So, a lot of the Stones contemporaries from that era never won Grammys for their most outstanding work either.

When the rock category was brought back, Dylan won his first Grammy in 1980. For "Gotta Serve Somebody". I dont think the Stones won a Grammy until Voodoo Lounge.

I love 'Where The Boys Go'. It gets a lot of flak on here for some reason, but its one of my favourite Stones songs.

Date: July 7, 2008 23:25

Nick Kent's summary of the title track hits the nail on the head perfectly. Couldnt have put it better myself, although Ive tried!

I remember reading that review. Back in the days when an album review actually dissected the individual songs instead of merely using the piece as an exercise in bashing the artist with little or no mention of the music at all.

Jagger was interviewed for the NME either in that issue or a week or two either side of it. I remember he said "thats a load of bollocks" in it quite a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-07 23:28 by Gazza.

Date: July 7, 2008 23:52

Gazza
Nick Kent's summary of the title track hits the nail on the head perfectly. Couldnt have put it better myself, although Ive tried!

I remember reading that review. Back in the days when an album review actually dissected the individual songs instead of merely using the piece as an exercise in bashing the artist with little or no mention of the music at all.

Jagger was interviewed for the NME either in that issue or a week or two either side of it. I remember he said "thats a load of bollocks" in it quite a lot.

The interview in question (a lengthy one) was with Paul Morley who baits Jagger with a tirade of difficult questions, all of which were very much anti-Stones and without any attempt at disguising the NME's utter contempt for the band at that particular juncture in their history.

However, Jagger is on absolutely brilliant form, giving, in my opinion, his best ever interview.

I'll post it up here shortly as a new thread.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 7, 2008 23:52

Edward Twining
'Emotional Rescue' is a perfect indication in my eyes to where the Stones could have gone musically, by saying that i don't necessarily mean by using the falsetto on all occasions, but the willingness to be experimental and different, which never really happened. 'Emotional Rescue' sounds nothing like the Bee Gees whatever anyone may say, it's a fine experimental track with a strange half reggae beat which really works in every area, and i think the Stones should be applauded for having the guts to release it as a single. It's tracks like 'You Got Me Rocking', 'I Go Wild', 'Mixed Emotions' and 'Rough Justice' that are really worthy of being derided, but i suppose they may be more palatable to some fans because they 'sound' more like the Stones.

My take exactly. However, I would remove Rough Justice from your list of latter-day tripe. ER has pretty great lyrics in my humble opinion.

Riding across the desert with a fine arab charger...

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: July 8, 2008 00:02

I like ER and I did when it came out. It was a little 'different' and certainly adventurous for the Stones. It kinda reminded me of Miss You, with the 'talky' stuff in the middle. It was a 'disco'/eighties type song IMHO.

I can't imagine the song without the falsetto, and I think I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 18:24 by Stikkyfinger.

Date: July 8, 2008 00:23

LOGIE
Gazza

The interview in question (a lengthy one) was with Paul Morley who baits Jagger with a tirade of difficult questions, all of which were very much anti-Stones and without any attempt at disguising the NME's utter contempt for the band at that particular juncture in their history.

However, Jagger is on absolutely brilliant form, giving, in my opinion, his best ever interview.

I'll post it up here shortly as a new thread.

thats the one. Its a great read. Thanks

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 8, 2008 00:58

Gazza

yeah, it's more creatively written than what you get nowadays, but I hope I'm not alone in having no idea what he's actually saying about most of the songs. Classic rock criticism in that sense--all style, but almost useless for specifics.

example of "a load of bollocks": "it's not that hard to denote [wrong word: identify? hear?] a Richards mix there or a Jagger mix there": examples?? I think he's blowing smoke here.

Date: July 8, 2008 01:00

hey, its Nick Kent, cc.

The only person in a 72,000 crowd at Wembley Stadium two years later who managed to see Keith punch Ronnie in the face during "Shes So Cold".

Date: July 8, 2008 01:06

LOL, it's nice work if you can get it... and he got it.

looking forward to seeing the interview, LOGIE.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 8, 2008 01:29

I've always liked ER. It's different. It's not the golden four and all that. I know it's not superb like Tattoo You or Exile or whatever but it's still a decent record. And it sounds fantastic.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 8, 2008 03:42

LOGIE
Here's Nick Kent's write-up from NME of the entire Emotional Rescue album:
quote] Let Me Go 3/4 rhythm?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 8, 2008 05:08

Britney
Let Me Go 3/4 rhythm?
I was wondring that too. doesn't sound like it to me. "Down In The Hole" does though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-08 05:08 by ryanpow.

Date: July 8, 2008 05:34

yeah, that was another "bollocks" line. I don't think there are any rock songs in 3/4, except for maybe some isolated passages in prog or metal numbers.

"Down in the Hole" is I think in 6/8 or 12/8 (if there's a difference). It has a triplet feel, but it still has a backbeat and so is still in a 4 pattern.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 8, 2008 12:44

Gazza
Not helped either by the choice to release it as a single. Coming right after the back to basics return to form that was "Some Girls" it was quite a shock.

Don't quite agree there, remember that "Some Girls" includes a disco song, that was really a shocker. But this is what they used to do shock.

I also remember Mick being then criticsed for having lost his voice (remember that before ER his final public appearence was SNL and he was hoarse as hell) and he shoot some mouths with that song.

Date: July 8, 2008 14:57

Gazza i am curious are you one of her royal majesty subjects or are you a expat?

Date: July 8, 2008 14:59

The Greek
Gazza i am curious are you one of her royal majesty subjects or are you a expat?

I'm from the UK. I live in Belfast and always have done.

Date: July 8, 2008 15:05

leteyer
Gazza
Not helped either by the choice to release it as a single. Coming right after the back to basics return to form that was "Some Girls" it was quite a shock.

Don't quite agree there, remember that "Some Girls" includes a disco song, that was really a shocker. But this is what they used to do shock.

Considering their previous album, Black & Blue, had only two rockers on it and was awash with funk, reggae and the sort of grooves that wouldnt have been out of place in a disco (Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita), I cant see what was so shocking about Miss You.

"Some Girls" had 7 or 8 rockers in a 10-song album, and was the biggest selling record of their career at that point. So, a huge audience were conditioned to a stripped-down, back to basics sound. Emotional Rescue (the song) was a far bigger diversion from their traditional style than Miss You was.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home