Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Kwik Question - Train Tix Paris to Calais
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 8, 2008 10:47

the sncf site drives me crazy

what is the simplest way to book a train for tomorrow July 9 from Paris to Calais (taking the ferry across, the hell with eurostar)?

or the best company or search engine?

p

Re: OT: Kwik Question - Train Tix Paris to Calais
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 8, 2008 10:49

Train : sncf
[www.voyages-sncf.com]

Ferry : depends on the company

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: July 8, 2008 12:01

Hi Tim,

You could try the RailEurope site - [www.raileurope.co.uk]
Why not take the Eurostar? Quick and easy, but wait......you are wanting the romance of taking a ferry, the smell of the salt air, the white cliffs of Dover appearing out of the gloomy English summer skies....I get it. Have fun!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 8, 2008 12:15

I took the eurostar last week roundtrip London - Paris. No problems, clean and efficient.

From your Post I'm not sure where you are starting from but eurostar on the way from London to Paris does stop briefly in Calais. Going back it's non-stop Paris to London.

I'm not too much on the ferry. Weather changes too quick and I get sea sick very easily.

Date: July 8, 2008 12:15

raileurope - must reserve 7 days out

sncf - when u click on English version, it goes into this weird map and I cannot see how to book anything.

???

p

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 8, 2008 12:43

click on the country.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: July 8, 2008 13:23

Hi Tim.
Go to the Gare du Nord, buy your tickets there. Pay cash or credit card. Remember that not all French people speak English. (Not even those in the tourist industry.) The Dover - Calais ferry is not very romantic anyway.

Personally I prefer the Eurostar. It saves you time that you can spend with friends in London, for example.
Have a nice journey!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 8, 2008 13:44

Hi Tim,
I'd do what Addicted says - Go to the Gare du Nord, buy your tickets there.
and think about the ferry, as the weather isn't going to that nice.

Calais, Maine Weather Forecast:

Wednesday...Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms May produce gusty winds and small hail in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the afternoon. Humid with highs around 80. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
[www.findlocalweather.com]

That's about the right weather to get seasick - from my experience tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 8, 2008 13:53

so shitty choppy waters producing vomiting for the pm

guess i will get to know how the allied invasion force felt when in their landing crafts ready to invade normandie

p

but i am still going to try

gare nord sounds good thanks

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 8, 2008 14:18

Yeah, I thought you'd be the trooper

here's what the beeb recommends, regarding seasickness:

At sea

Get as much fresh air as possible away from the smell of fuel fumes and galley foods. Going out on deck is ideal, but make sure to focus on the horizon or something that isn't moving - don't watch the waves.

If it's too cold and you have to stay inside, find a seat in the middle of the ship on a lower deck, this is where the ship moves least. If you are still nauseous, lie down and keep your eyes closed.

Prevention and treatment

As well as the advice above, the following can help to reduce the chance of travel sickness:

* Avoiding heavy meals and alcohol before travelling.
* Keeping still with eyes closed.
* Anti-sickness medicines from the pharmacist. These should be taken before travel according to the instructions so they have time to be absorbed by the body.
* Ginger or peppermint remedies. Ginger can be taken as a biscuit, tea or in crystallised form, while peppermint can be sucked as a sweet or taken as a tea.
* Acupressure. This can be applied using a wristband or by pressing your finger against the middle of the inner wrist about three finger widths above the crease where the wrist joins the hand.

This article was last medically reviewed by Dr Rob Hicks in July 2006
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home