Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: was 'Sway' recorded at MUscle Shoals?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 1, 2008 23:23

I think both of you may be right. I neglected to scroll past the lyrics and read the comments by MT and Keith(my bad). It does say Keith and Mick on rythm guitar under personel but Keith's remark is what I find interesting. He says thats MJ on guitar. He doesnt say he doesnt play on the final track but I dont see why he make this comment if he did!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 2, 2008 00:13

scottkeef
I think both of you may be right. I neglected to scroll past the lyrics and read the comments by MT and Keith(my bad). It does say Keith and Mick on rythm guitar under personel but Keith's remark is what I find interesting. He says thats MJ on guitar. He doesnt say he doesnt play on the final track but I dont see why he make this comment if he did!

If you listen to the track you hear Keith doesn't play guitar. He only does backup vocals.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 2, 2008 00:20

>> If you listen to the track you hear Keith doesn't play guitar. He only does backup vocals. <<

which track, Mathijs - Sway? i think scottkeef is talking about Winter, although i may be confused -
that wouldn't be unusual! :E

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: July 2, 2008 00:23

Schillid cut and pasted:

3614 Jackson Highway (LP) Cher
Hey Jude (LP-45) Wilson Pickett
Loan Me A Dime (45) Boz Scaggs
Boz Scaggs (LP) Boz Scaggs
Glass Onion (LP-45) Arif Mardin
Take A Letter Maria (45) R.B. Greaves

I haven't heard this in ages...always liked the horns.

Date: July 2, 2008 01:19

Throw your line somewhere else, Mathijs. I ain't taking the bait!

Date: July 2, 2008 16:51

scottkeef
Throw your line somewhere else, Mathijs. I ain't taking the bait!

What line, what bait?

Anyway, if you were refering to Winter: Keith does not play guitar on Winter.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2008 17:40

You're just looking for a rooster-fight! Anyway we already are aware of the facts,sir.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 2, 2008 17:51

This thread is giving me Muscle (Shoals) Cramp.

Date: July 2, 2008 18:26

scottkeef
You're just looking for a rooster-fight! Anyway we already are aware of the facts,sir.

I don't think I understand you completely.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2008 18:26

HEH-HEH!!!!!!

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:31

My question is the following: Why would the Stones go all the way to some studio in the middle of nowhere in Alabama when they could record in NYC, London, etc?

Date: July 2, 2008 18:37

rbarnes00
My question is the following: Why would the Stones go all the way to some studio in the middle of nowhere in Alabama when they could record in NYC, London, etc?

Because they didn't have working permits they couldn't work officially (outside the touring). So, they couldn't record legally. They decided to go Alabama, where they had less chance of getting noticed or caught. Also, I believe Unions are/were less strong over there, so they could record without having to notify any union or employing any union members. I think this info comes from Stanly Booth.

Mathijs

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 2, 2008 18:40

rbarnes00

Interestingly enough, I think that your question was already answered by the lengthy earlier post that listed all the many hit records that came out of Muscle Shoals during that era. They wanted to go there to record because it was a place where some very happening American music was being made. Same as when they went to Chess in Chicago in the '60s.

Date: July 2, 2008 18:54

Mathijs
scottkeef

I don't think I understand you completely.

Mathijs
I dont think you understand the thread, either!

Date: July 2, 2008 19:09

well to be honest, i don't understand you either at this point, scottkeef,
or see where anything "fightlike" has been said. were you referring to Winter or to Sway, or ... ?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 2, 2008 19:10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-02 19:11 by Lukester.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 2, 2008 19:47

The great Duane Allman played on some of those from 1969 - "Hey Jude" and the Boz Scaggs stuff, fer sure.

Date: July 2, 2008 19:56

For what's worth, one of my favorite Southern bands now is the Drive-By Truckers and they are from Muscle Shoals. In fact, their co-leader Patterson Hood is the son of David Hood, the Muscle Shoals studio bassist who played on many of those songs on schillid's list (not schindler's list, schillid's)

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 2, 2008 20:25

Mathijs
Because they didn't have working permits they couldn't work officially (outside the touring). So, they couldn't record legally. They decided to go Alabama, where they had less chance of getting noticed or caught. Also, I believe Unions are/were less strong over there, so they could record without having to notify any union or employing any union members. I think this info comes from Stanly Booth.

Mathijs

interesting... is this something they dealt with legally by the time they started recording in big-time studios again, say in LA for Exile?

Re: was 'Sway' recorded at Muscle Shoals?
Date: July 2, 2008 20:48

>> is this something they dealt with legally by the time they started recording
in big-time studios again, say in LA for Exile? <<

yeah - the situation in 1969 was an anomaly - probably just a management oversight,
getting them touring-only work permits. maybe the management just didn't foresee
that they'd get it into their pretty heads to record something at the end of the tour.

Stanley Booth also writes that they never paid for the Muscle Shoals sessions. another oversight no doubt eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-02 20:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: July 2, 2008 21:08

Thanks for the info. The unions are weaker in the South, but as far as going unnoticed, I would think that the Stones would attract much more attention in a small town as opposed to NYC where, if they wanted, they could go unnoticed.

Date: July 2, 2008 21:48

I was refering to Winter the second time BUT I just meant if the thread had been read I was trying to agree with the opinion Keith didnt play on Winter. If I took it the wrong way I apologize but when it seemed I was being told I should have the ability to just listen to the track and tell Keith wasnt playing, I found this to be a little bit of "baiting". But once again if I misunderstood apologies to all concerned.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 2, 2008 22:16

yeah the Drive By Truckers' former guitarist Jason Isbell has been playing'Sway' in his shows. Lukester, fellow DBT fan here.
Muscle Shoals-- what a place that must be.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: July 2, 2008 22:25

rbarnes00

Muscle Shoals has a long history of recording. It isn't a nowhere place by any stretch.

Date: July 2, 2008 23:15

scottkeef
I was refering to Winter the second time BUT I just meant if the thread had been read I was trying to agree with the opinion Keith didnt play on Winter. If I took it the wrong way I apologize but when it seemed I was being told I should have the ability to just listen to the track and tell Keith wasnt playing, I found this to be a little bit of "baiting". But once again if I misunderstood apologies to all concerned.

Well, I still don't get it, but all's excepted if there's anything to accept from my side!

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2008 23:15

Hey Duke Richardson.....thanks for the info. I haven't seen Isbell since December. I bet he does a great "Sway."

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 3, 2008 02:47

with sssoul
>> It's safer to state that "..some people think ... <<

actually there's always the option of not repeating what "some people think".
(i have my own private theories about this stuff too, but it doesn't count for anything -
what Mick T says about it is what would be worth repeating, i think)

Is there something about my original post that has offended you with sssoul? I certainly didn't intend to offend.

I don't really understand where you're coming from. I thought this was a discussion board for fans to voice their opinions? This idea of only stating something that came straight from the horse's mouth would make for a boring discussion. It sort of defeats the purpose. We could just read quotes from the band members all day long.

You know that many people think Taylor co-wrote certain Stones songs. It's been discussed many times on here. That's hardly a new theory and if it was so easy to ask Mick himself what he wrote and what he didn't, then I would certainly ask him and wouldn't bother considering other people's theories about the matter.

But anyway, like I said, no offense intended. Hope you're doing well.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 3, 2008 03:48

Got Jason's live album. It's good. 6 songs.

DBT rocks.

In the middle of nowhere. Ha! I think you mean Texas.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 5, 2008 19:39

skipstone
Got Jason's live album. It's good. 6 songs.

DBT rocks.

In the middle of nowhere. Ha! I think you mean Texas.

I saw one of Jason's show's two nights ago. It was a very, very small venue and the sound wasn't great but I really enjoyed. I'm a big fan of his and DBT. I was hoping he'd do "Sway" but he never did. I have a recording of him in Asheville, NC from 5/25/08 and he played "Sway" then. He did, however, cover Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" and Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" last night and both were great.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home