Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Decca Records vs. London Records/Abcko....
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: June 20, 2008 17:34

Although nowadays my main concern is the Euro Championship Football, I do have this question concerning our sweet beloved boys.

I am preparing everything here for Football-night and I play Aftermath. Then I suddenly wondered: 'why is it that all The Rolling Stones 60's albums on CD have been released by either London Records either Abcko and NOT at the DECCA-label???

The only DECCA-CD I do own is "The Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra plays The Rolling Stones" (2004).

Back in the 60's their US-albums were released on London, but in the UK and the old continent (where they do play football) it always has been DECCA.
O.k. I think this has got to do something with Allen Klein....can anyone help me out???

Thanks!

Re: Decca Records vs. London Records/Abcko....
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2008 17:52

the Stones were never directly signed to Decca - in 1963 they signed with Impact Sounds (Andrew Oldham and Eric Easton)
and Impact signed a tape-lease deal with Decca. it was quite revolutionary at the time -
like one other recording artist in the UK had that situation - and it was a stroke of genius,
since it gave the Stones/Impact control over what to record, and how it would sound.
Decca had the rights to "first refusal" of the Stones' material, but they didn't own it.

when Allen Klein bought out ALO in 1965 and became the Stones' business manager,
he maintained the same tape-lease situation with Decca, but at the same time
also made a few other moves that ended with him and not the Stones owning the rights to their material

hope that helps - 3 pound 10 please :E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-20 18:15 by with sssoul.

Date: June 20, 2008 17:54

Thanks man. Only 3 pound 10? What about offering you a cold beer? smileys with beer

Date: June 20, 2008 18:03

>> Thanks man <<

i'm a she-sssoul.
my "3 pound 10 please" line is a Stones quote ... but we can make it a Guinness smoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 20, 2008 18:33

Dear sssoul.
I think I'm fairly familiar with the 1965 "changes" but can you clarify:
- did Impact cease in 1965
- did Eric E ever get paid out (he sued ALO though later the Stones sued him); his management contract actually had 9 months to run
- although the Stones seemed to be unaware of the sleight of hand by Klein, how much was ALO in the loop, after all he seems to have lost a lot of control(and future monies) also

Date: June 20, 2008 18:38

you'll have to ask ALO, jlowe - sorry

Date: June 20, 2008 18:41

with sssoul
you'll have to ask ALO, jlowe - sorry

o.k. thanks...I will write to him c/o the late L Ron Hubbard

Date: June 20, 2008 18:47

>> how much was ALO in the loop, after all he seems to have lost a lot of control <<

since i'm not "in the loop" either, i probably shouldn't speculate on this but:
i don't see any reason to think ALO was "in the loop" regarding ABKCO's diverting the Stones' funds and rights.
he sold his share of the enterprise to Klein because he was no longer interested in the management end of things,
and being bought out - like being no longer interested - generally doesn't entail being kept "in the loop".

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 20, 2008 18:48

Hey with sssoul, Klein better hope theres no reincarnation or he's coming back as a cockroach( actually not much different than now I guess!!)

Date: June 20, 2008 18:54

scottkeef, i don't think cockroaches are held in that low esteem in reincarnation scenarios.
in Japanese Buddhism there are two kinds of hungry ghost one can be reincarnated as: [en.wikipedia.org]
to me, one or the other of those sounds closer to fitting than a poor but honest cockroach ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-20 19:00 by with sssoul.

Date: June 20, 2008 18:54

Thanks sssoul.
Yes - I see your point.Judging from the way things went with Immediate years later it doesn't seem as though finance and business management were his strong point (or overiding concern) anyway.

Sorry to bang on about Eric E- any knowledge of what happened to his legal battles? He seems to have been airbrushed out, though Bill Wyman obviously-at least judging from his books-had a different perspective on him.

Date: June 20, 2008 18:57

jlowe, all i know about Eric Easton's end of things is what's in the usual reference books,
so if i were going to comment further, it would just mean looking up what Bill has to say,
and you already know what's in Bill's books. maybe retired_dog and/or Rocky Dijon can tell you more.

Date: June 20, 2008 19:18

My sweet lady Jane "with sssoul"......

Thanks again!

winking smiley

Date: June 20, 2008 19:28

Thanks for enlightening me,with sssoul. Very disturbing info. though. Weird!!

Date: June 20, 2008 19:33

well, hungry ghosts are supposed to be disturbing/weird, scottkeef - that's their whole point!
to encourage us not to act like them (or like Klein) in our current incarnations.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: June 20, 2008 19:55

Well I got this rare cd,Aftermath on Decca,bought about 15 years ago.I think Decca released some of the Stones albums but Klein stepped in and stopped them.

Date: June 21, 2008 01:03

with sssoul
well, hungry ghosts are supposed to be disturbing/weird, scottkeef - that's their whole point!
to encourage us not to act like them (or like Klein) in our current incarnations.
Yeah I guess Klein will be someone's Jacob Marley!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 22, 2008 03:10

They're not different - Decca was evil and so is ABKCO.

Date: June 22, 2008 16:11

BTW, I once read that Keith was mad over DECCA because another DECCA-company did produce some radar-system for the U.S. during "Vietnam"?

So far 'the evilness' of Decca.
What about dirty tricks of London / Abcko? Was it only music-industry back then, or did they also produce dirty stuff like weapons etc.

Just wondered...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home