Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did The Stones better ?
Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 21, 2008 11:00

Heard yesterday night that Coldplay sold in the UK more than 300,000 copies in just 4 days of their new album. Did The Stones ever did that in UK ?.

Re: Did The Stones better ?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 21, 2008 19:57

To be honest who really cares? Any band or artist can win a "battle" against The Stones. Winning the war is another thing entirely. Has Coldplay sold two hundred million plus albums worldwide like The Stones have? Yes they have been around only ten years but multiply their worldwide sales by 4 and they still only have a little over a hundred million.

I understand you may be asking this only out of curiosity so I'm not trying to be defensive. I'm just making the point that any artist can outdo The Stones here or there but not overall.

All that said I actually like that new Coldplay song that is featured in the Ipod commercial. I originally thought it was U2 since that guy sounds like Bono.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 21, 2008 20:19

300,000 in 4 days is a lot of records in the UK.

Which I've never understood. Isn't there a lot of people there? Yet alone London.

Wasn't it Dogshit In The Doorway that sold something like 9 copies on it's day of release?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 21, 2008 21:12

GITD sold 953 copies the first day but it reached 12,100 by the end of the week.

The Stones' best selling album ever in UK is 40 Licks with 1.2 million copies, that album sold about 90k during the first week, maybe their best ever.
I can't think in another album with better sales during the first week.

In US, the best 1st week was 40 Licks with 310,000. Yet, their best week of sales ever was for Tattoo You: it entered at #8 and went to #1 in the second week with sales close to 1 million.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2008 22:06

FrankM
To be honest who really cares? Any band or artist can win a "battle" against The Stones. Winning the war is another thing entirely. Has Coldplay sold two hundred million plus albums worldwide like The Stones have? Yes they have been around only ten years but multiply their worldwide sales by 4 and they still only have a little over a hundred million.

I understand you may be asking this only out of curiosity so I'm not trying to be defensive. I'm just making the point that any artist can outdo The Stones here or there but not overall.

All that said I actually like that new Coldplay song that is featured in the Ipod commercial. I originally thought it was U2 since that guy sounds like Bono.

Why is it a "war" ? Is it that important that the Stones outlast or outsell everyone else?

Date: June 21, 2008 22:17

Because We Are Right!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 21, 2008 22:52

We know we're right. We dont need endorsement from the Great Unwashed Masses!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 21, 2008 23:36

Curiosity. Just curiosity. Just wondering if the "future of rock" is there.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 22, 2008 00:52

really man, who would u rather be mick or the singer from coldplay, i rest my case, no matter what the sales are

Date: June 22, 2008 02:57

Actually, I was jokingly commenting on the "war" question...

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: June 22, 2008 09:11

.... lil' waynes sold over 1 million albums this week, ,, ,,, check out todays

los angeles times for some 'music' information to expand some of you's

horizons..

Date: June 22, 2008 11:49

Nobody cares about Coldplay - except Coldpay.

Posted by: woody4prez ()
Date: June 22, 2008 16:23

Gazza
We know we're right. We dont need endorsement from the Great Unwashed Masses!

I took a bath yesterday, and before that, it had only been about three month's since the last bath!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home