Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Amps from 1975 tour
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 25, 2008 09:14

Regarding the photo link below:
What are those amps to right?
There's 2 what look like 15" cabs with an Ampeg head on top.
I've seen these in other photos before.
Any ideas what those are?
So what was Keith's setup here?
The SVT slaved or extended through those, too?
How many spare cabinets and how many dummy cabs?

[www.musikfoto.com]

Re: Amps from 1975 tour
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 25, 2008 16:28

Keith played through a Ampeg V9, which is a SVT with a guitar pre-amp section. He played it through an 8*12" cabinet. It's the amp on the left. The amp on the right is Wyman's Ampeg SVT through two 18" Altec Lansing speakers.

Mathijs

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 25, 2008 17:22

Just wondered is this the same setup Keith used for the 72-73 tour?

Date: May 25, 2008 18:48

scottkeef
Just wondered is this the same setup Keith used for the 72-73 tour?

Probably, but it's hard to say. The Stones started to use SVT bass amps on the '69, '70 tour, and on the larger gigs of the '71 tour. As far as I know, these were all standard SVT bass amps. Starting from '72 the amps were doctored with to be more receptable to guitar signals. Apparently, these amps had the tendency to overheat and blow up. In '75 the SVT amps received a special guitar pre-amp and reverb, and were named V9.

But, this information is more guessing than hard info. The Stones were given loads of amps, and Ampeg kept doctoring them. It's very hard to say which specific type the Stones used -it could even differ from gig tot gig.

Mathijs

Date: May 25, 2008 18:54

thanks for the info!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 25, 2008 19:07

I don't know which gig or what year - but a nice pic.

courtesty by Gypsy

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 25, 2008 19:09

aren't Ampeg 8x10 cabinets twice as tall as the one on the left? It looks more like a 4x10. Or is it on its side? (talking about tomk's link to musikfoto)

the rig in open-g's pic is different. Two SVTish amps over two 4x10s. Maybe one of the amps is a back-up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-25 19:12 by cc.

Date: May 25, 2008 20:04

Did Wood use a separate Amgeg cab for bass on Fingerprint File
or just use Wyman's rig?

Date: May 25, 2008 20:06

Interesting. The speaker cabinents did seem taller in 72,didnt they?

Date: May 25, 2008 22:34

cc
aren't Ampeg 8x10 cabinets twice as tall as the one on the left? It looks more like a 4x10. Or is it on its side? (talking about tomk's link to musikfoto)

the rig in open-g's pic is different. Two SVTish amps over two 4x10s. Maybe one of the amps is a back-up?

As far as I have seen on pictures: Keith used 8*10 on the '60 to '73 tours, then changed to 12" speakers for the '75 and '76 tours. In Annie's Leibowitch's 1975 book you can a variety of cabs: short 4*12"and 6*12", tall 8*10" and Wyman's 2*18" cabs. Mostly, the 18" and 10" speaker cabs are the tall cabs, and the 12" cabs are slightly shorter. On the '75 tour Keith even had a 6*12" cab with only the top four speakers present.

My guess is that Keith's cab in the picture above is a 6*12" cab (check the position of the microphone).

Mathijs

Date: May 26, 2008 00:53

So are Richards and Wood using both cabs or just one?
Are they using the cab as an extension speaker or is it a spare?
Also, I assume Jagger used Ampeg for his 1978 guitar use
{as I've only seen 2 Mesas, Richard and Wood).
Was Jagger's amp on Keith's side or Wood's?

Date: May 26, 2008 09:49

tomk

Both Wood and Richards had two amps with cabs setup, but only played through one. The other is a spare. Jagger's amp during the '78 tour is the Boogie closest to Charlie on the left (Wood) side you can sometime see. They all played through Boogie MK 1's on the '78 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 26, 2008 10:22

Somewhat off topic but did they use ampegs when recording GHS? Some guitar tracks almost have a Marshall crunch to them

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 26, 2008 12:50

That photo is top!

Date: May 26, 2008 21:44

terraplane
Somewhat off topic but did they use ampegs when recording GHS? Some guitar tracks almost have a Marshall crunch to them

Pics from the Jamaica sessions in late '72 show various Ampeg amps (revereberocket, V-2, VT-40, B15N Portaflex) and Fender amps, mainly silver face Twins and Deluxe Reverbs.

To date I haven't seen any Marshall amp at any studio session of the Stones. Apparently, they really don't like Marshall amps.

Mathijs

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 26, 2008 22:07

What I want to know is: where are these amps today -- sold, trashed, in a museum, still in use by someone??

Also, open g, I am guessing that foto is 76 as I do not believe wore such a style of outfit in 75.

p

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 26, 2008 22:37

That's an excellent photograph open-g. I'm surprised the back of KR's Telecaster is not bare wood from the size of that belt buckle.

CBII

Date: May 26, 2008 23:06

timbernardis
What I want to know is: where are these amps today -- sold, trashed, in a museum, still in use by someone??

Also, open g, I am guessing that foto is 76 as I do not believe wore such a style of outfit in 75.

p

A sfar as I understand they still have all that equipment. In fact, Darryl's SVT amp from the last tours is Wyman's amp he used on the '76 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: May 26, 2008 23:32

timbernardis

p

I´m pretty sure that pic is from San Antonio´75 or at least one of the early TOTA shows. It´s definitely not from 1976.

Posted by: RichardHurrah ()
Date: May 26, 2008 23:52

scottkeef
Interesting. The speaker cabinents did seem taller in 72,didnt they?

They were, made so they were easier to use as snorting plate without ruining your back, or is this only another legend winking smiley

Very nice pic indeed.

Date: May 27, 2008 00:09

Mathijs
tomk

Both Wood and Richards had two amps with cabs setup, but only played through one. The other is a spare. Jagger's amp during the '78 tour is the Boogie closest to Charlie on the left (Wood) side you can sometime see. They all played through Boogie MK 1's on the '78 tour.

Mathijs

I've only seen pictures of two Mesas on the 1978 tour,
assuming those would be for Wood and Richards.
Are there pictures with 3?
I always thought the Mesa on Charlie's side was Woods
and Jaggers's amp was farther left.

Date: May 27, 2008 00:12

Mathijs
timbernardis

p

A sfar as I understand they still have all that equipment. In fact, Darryl's SVT amp from the last tours is Wyman's amp he used on the '76 tour.

Mathijs

A bit off topic, but the Guitar Center store in Los Angeles
a few years ago had most of Rod Stewart's band Ampeg SVTs for sale.
They had about six of them, tops and bottoms.
Can't remember what price they wanted.
They're actually more of a cream color than white.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 27, 2008 04:09

Tornandfrayed
timbernardis

p

I´m pretty sure that pic is from San Antonio´75 or at least one of the early TOTA shows. It´s definitely not from 1976.

pourquoi?

please elaborate.

p

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 27, 2008 10:18

timbernardis
Tornandfrayed
timbernardis
p
pourquoi?
please elaborate.
p

Tim, the photo is definitely from early 1975 - and I agree to it being San Antonio as well. They didn't look like that in 1976. It's a common costume for 1975.

San Antonio 1975, Fin Costello

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 10:51 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: kennydice58 ()
Date: May 27, 2008 14:38

if you look closely you can see on top of keefs amp there is an effects pedal and it looks like to me a Colorsound wah wah pedal from that time ?
Cheers kennydice

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2008 14:41

Yup, definitely a Colorosund wah - fuzz or wah - swell type pedal there. Could be one of their phase pedals too though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 14:50 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2008 14:46

Erik_Snow

Tim, the photo is definitely from early 1975 - and I agree to it being San Antonio as well. They didn't look like that in 1976. It's a common costume for 1975.

I'm impressed by how some of you know what city it is in, I only see a stage? confused smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 27, 2008 16:38

Good eye about the Colorsound pedal eye popping smiley

I just compared it to the one I have.
mine is from 8th of june '72 or 73 (that stamp inside is a little slipped) its a blue Colorsound Wah-Swell.
must see if it still works winking smiley

and thanx for identifying the year and gig, Erik and Tornandfrayed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 27, 2008 18:20

His Majesty
Yup, definitely a Colorosund wah - fuzz or wah - swell type pedal there. Could be one of their phase pedals too though.

what good is it doing on top of his amp? Would a roadie come out and plug it in right before the number he uses it on? ("Fool to Cry," "Fingerprint File"?)

Date: May 27, 2008 18:45

cc
His Majesty

what good is it doing on top of his amp? Would a roadie come out and plug it in right before the number he uses it on? ("Fool to Cry," "Fingerprint File"?)

Richards only used it on Fingerprint File for 1975.
A roadie did come out and pluged it in, as Wood went to bass,
Bill to synth, and Jagger for guitar for that number.
Also, I think they're just being safe, 'cause in those days (and today, too)
you never knew when the battery would run low and mess with the tone.
I remember all the switchig around and roadies coming out
when I saw them in 1975. Not sure about 1976 when he used the wah for Fool To Cry. Did a roadie do the same on that tour?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home