Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Fleetwood Mac "Then Play On" LP
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 17, 2008 16:48

Yesterday I picked up an original vinyl copy of "Then Play On" by Fleetwood Mac.
I am completely blown away but not surprised by how great this album is.

Sadly, the album has a lot of distortion and sounds like someone has either played it to death or used a very crappy deck.
I want to get this on CD, but after doing some research it appears that the Reprise CD release is missing 2 track and "Oh Well" has been added.
Can anyone tell me if the missing 2 tracks have been released on any other cds?
That way, I can make myself a cdr of the complete album.
Failing that, I will just have to locate a better vinyl copy and make a cdr of that.

Cheers, Vudicus.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac "Then Play On" LP
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 17, 2008 16:55

I bought both a first edition record, with When You Say, and then the second edition, to get Oh Well. I think there is a cd that has both. Another one to get is the Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac....has the complete Madge sessions on one track...18 or so minutes of mind crushing guitars...Here is one that has all the tracks.

[cgi.ebay.com]

JR

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 17, 2008 17:05

Great album! Peter Green's one of my guitar favourites. Last time I saw him, he was a bit "sedated", obviously on medication, wearing his "no fear" cap. His playing was still strong though, and the band (including the late Cozy Powell) was very supportive, resulting in a satisfying and sometimes very moving show.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 17, 2008 17:06

Thanks for the link.

It looks like that one is missing "One Sunny Day" and "Without You" from the 1st UK Lp.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 17, 2008 17:11

Great album, not too far back I picked up all the early Fleetwood Mac cds and they are all great. Its funny how the name Fleetwood Mac is assoicated mainly with what this band became, many people my age don't even realize what a great blues band they started out as.

Date: April 17, 2008 17:30

[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

The above are UK LP's.

This appears to be a cd of the UK track listing...

[cgi.ebay.com]

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-17 17:33 by stone-relics.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: April 17, 2008 18:03

you must have the blue horizon box to get these two missing tracks,,

(there is no uk version onto cd),but do your own copy ,,with bonus trax ,,,thumbs up

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 17, 2008 18:21

I was visiting a freind in Seattle not long ago and I was stunned to see a copy of this album framed and hanging on his wall. Not becasue it was hanging on the wall mind you but becasue it ws signed by Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. Woof!

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: April 17, 2008 20:01

Interesting to see Jeremy Spencers autograph on the album,he didnt play on it,instead the band backed him on his first (now very rare) solo album.

Date: April 17, 2008 20:24

Yeah, the album is practically all Peter Green but Jeremey rarely played on any tracks save for tracks on which he sang lead. It was his steadfast reluctance to contribute to originals that prompted Peter to bring Danny in. By the way, what was the name of Jeremey's debut? I seem to recall something about it but the details elude me at the moment

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 17, 2008 21:25

Jeremy's first album on Reprise has no title, but a lot of humour!!
If you like it, go for "Kiln House" too!! Probably has the best Buddy Holly songs outside a Buddy Holly album!!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 17, 2008 22:58

Without question, Peter Green was the best guitarist to come out of the British Blues scene- impeccable and authentic and a great singer to boot. Didnt have the staying power of a Clapton or innovation of Jeff Beck but when it came to Chicago style blues or any Freddie/BB/Albert based stuff, he could play rings around all of them.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 17, 2008 23:35

And yes "Then Play On" should be rereleased-remastered and in complete form!

I hope someone from "Rhino Handmade" reads this!!!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: April 18, 2008 00:48

Date: April 18, 2008 01:12

Just put the daggone record on.....My first ever experience with a REAL blues guitar player...since he is really the only one.

JR

Date: April 18, 2008 01:15

stone-relics
Just put the daggone record on.....My first ever experience with a REAL blues guitar player...since he is really the only one.

JR
Wow JR. That's rather definitive! Though Peter ranks among the greatest blues guitarists ever, sure there are others who can stand next to him?

Date: April 18, 2008 01:19

Thanks for the quick feedback, but I disagree....no one plays like Greeny....

no one....

JR

Date: April 18, 2008 01:31

You'll not get an argument from me. I actually got to meet him when the Splinter Group played the Fillmore in 1999. Man, shaking the hand of the Green God was something I'll never forget! Woof!

Date: April 18, 2008 02:07

Yeah, the Green Manilishee.....shoooo

JR

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: April 18, 2008 03:45

This is off topic but what are FM doing now?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 18, 2008 04:00

Well, oh well, the old Mac. As splendid an off topic thread as there could be. When in doubt about how good those guys were, just spend the time and play the Blue Horizon box set. The massive load of material in there is simply killer. Green was/is a special bluesman, and the guitar along with his vocals were the tools to translate what was in his soul. What a band!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 18, 2008 04:10

Looks a little like Alfred Hitchcock Junior these days but if anyone has ever played better slow blues than "Jumpin At Shadows", I havent heard it. Wouldnt want to. It'd drive ya right outta your ever lovin' mind....like it done to JR.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: May 6, 2008 13:09

"daggone record on" - taking our canine name in vein, methinks.

Interesting stuff on Spencer.

What does the Blue Horizon Box Set consist of?

Mac's UK album output (before Green and Spencer quit) was what? Two or three albums. Their 1967 debut , Then Play On - and one other. Pious Bird - wasn't that a compilation. Eddycate me Chris. I'm more knowleadgeable on mid-period Mac!

btw Blues in Chicago was not released in UK. I've got a Sire re-issue. Was it on Reprise in the States? Oh, and another anorak question - did Blue Horizon label exist in the States. And btw I still have my (Blue Hrizon) copy of Albatross, about the third single what I bought as a playful wee puppy. "Weef, weef", I would be want to exclaim on hearing that one on the radio. Can still vividly recall their appearance on Top Of The Pops. 'Hang on a walkie, this is different', I weefed.

OK back to the other FM thread.

Date: May 6, 2008 13:17

Fleetwood Mac in Chicago was released in the UK on Blue Horizon. I have the double LP set. Also availble in the US either as two single LPs or a double. Sire reissued it in the 70s.

JR

Date: May 6, 2008 16:43

Thanks JR. I bark corrected.

Was Blue Horizon sleeve design the same as the Sire re-issue?

Date: May 6, 2008 16:46

No, completely different cover. Even different to the US release. Will post a photo when I get home from work.

JR

Date: May 6, 2008 16:48

No, completely different cover. Here is a photo from Popsike.

[www.popsike.com]

JR

Date: May 6, 2008 20:04

Thanks JR. Good for to see the names of the Blues Greats too.

(while you are about and ChrisM is still busy at work), prithee - what is included in the Blue Horizon Box Set? Still obtainabubble?

And (for benefit of others who might be interested) were the 1971- 1973 albums ever re-issued on CD?

Date: May 6, 2008 20:16

Blue Horizon Box is out of print, but easily available on ebay...

[cgi.ebay.com]

there are others their, too. I dont really listen to much Mac after Peter left, but I still have mint copies of the vinyls, so cant comment on cd availability.

JR

Date: May 6, 2008 22:25

Thanks.

ps I think you are the same JR that once sent a copy of the Deluxe Howlin' Wolf Sessions to me across the pond.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home